The Ghost pic thread

Dante74

I got my VF0A+ghost...right now I am applying the sticker but I have to say that I am really, really, really, tempted to buy another combo for using the ghost on the VF-0S...

I would wait as knowing Yamato, they may just release the Shin Ghost by it self like the Stealth FPs.

So, now that most of us have their Ghost in hand, do you think it's worth the money you paid for it? I, for one, find it to be a little expensive. It looks great, especially on the VF-0, but it's basically just a piece of plastic as it doesn't really do anything, except deploy it's landing gear. Not exactly something you can spend hour upon hour playing with. I know this sounds strange coming from a guy that doesn't play with his toys, but what got me into collecting Valks is the engineering that went into making these things transformable. When I show people my humble collection and I tell them that the fighter they see on the shelf transforms into the robot next to it they sometimes don't believe me.

hmmm, I just realized that I'm slowly turning into a completionist...

What was I saying? Oh yeah, is the Ghost worth its money?

From a collectors point of view, I'd say maybe, as it's up to the individual collector if he/she wants to spend $40 for a piece of nicely shaped plastic to complete their collection. It makes for a nice display piece that'll add some variety to the line up of Valks, but at $40 it's a little too expensive IMHO.

From a players point of view, I'd imagine it would move to the bottom of the toybox quite fast as there are much more exciting toys in Yamato's Macross line up. You can swoosh it around for a bit, but the Ghost from the combo isn't secured to the VF-0 tightly enough to play with so it'll fall off during the first barrel roll.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, I see what you mean but I think that we need to see it more as an upgrade for our VF-0...To me they are the equivalent of the super/strike parts for the VF-1(and the ghost is also less expensive...well, i guess that depends) with the ghosts our VF-0 becomes a war machine ready to exterminate an entire army. Just like the VF-1 with their FP...

Dunno, in terms of playability, I think the ghost is a lot better than the upcoming YF-19 and 1/48 FAST Packs. This is due to the fact that the ghost can act as an independent unit, the FAST Packs can't.

Other than Dante74's correct observation of Ghost falling away in the barrelroll i still think it's great swoosh material, specifcially by itself.

lol, Has anyone esle tried the Ghost on the poor VF-1 1/60 yet? haha hilarious.

On the YF-19 it looks cool! I'll do some pics later. :D

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Fully panel-lined VF-0A.

IPB Image

Canopy mold line? What canopy mold line? B))

IPB Image

Everything on!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Now that that's all done, should I drill out the airbrake holes? And remove the landing gear and re-do the paint? Hate the glossiness :D

Edited by dodgethis

Which one is the airbrakes for the ghost or the valk? the cover for the valk you mean? if it is both mine keeps popping out on one side (same for both valks)

Do any of you have trouble getting the airbrake to close properly? Mine keeps popping out.

I'm talking about the airbrake perverts...

:p

Dodgethis, what did you use to apply those panel lines?

Edited by Kicker773

The good ol' enamel paint wash technique. S'Nothing special.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1...kham/tnt122.htm

Start from step 4. I used Tamiya Flat black enamel paint and enamel thinner. No set ratio IMHO but make sure it's diluted enough to flow. The consistency of milk is about right.

Didn't feel it was worthy enough to be put in the customs and mods section.

edit: ration to ratio. Bah, been working with that word too much!

Edited by dodgethis

Which one is the airbrakes for the ghost or the valk? the cover for the valk you mean? if it is both mine keeps popping out on one side (same for both valks)

The airbrake for the Valk. So I'm not the only one having this minor problem. The airbrake on the CF VF-0A fits much better, the one on the VF-0S also pops out sometimes,but not as much as Shin's VF-0A.

I guess I'll just have to sand it down a bit.

Dodgethis, thanks for the link. looks easy.

The good ol' enamel paint wash technique. S'Nothing special.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1...kham/tnt122.htm

Start from step 4. I used Tamiya Flat black enamel paint and enamel thinner. No set ration IMHO but make sure it's diluted enough to flow. The consistency of milk is about right.

Didn't feel it was worthy enough to be put in the customs and mods section.

Thanks for the link, dodgethis. Did you clear coated your Valk afterwrds? I'm a mess with paint and such (that's why I collect toys, not model kits), so I'd like to know if clear coating is indispensable.

Thanks Recon for that bit instructions - it helped.

I still have a problem with a droppy nose from the darker grey heat shield forward when I'm zooming it around the room, its fine when the gears are deployed and it sits on the ground, the weight of the plane on the front nose gears closes up the gap in the heat shield. That's why we don't see it in pictures since everyone shots it with the gears deployed sitting on the ground.

Here's my two cents worth after having the two for a week. Its a wonderful looking toy! One of the best sculpts and I love the grey on grey scheme. Visually its one of the best Yamato has come up with. As a toy per se, it doesn't have the playability of the 1/48 VF-1. I've transformed it into all three modes, and its one of the most difficult finicky transformations ever, I am always afraid to stress the parts, it feels flimsy and the hinges seem too thin to take the stress (I have white stress marks on the dark grey over the shoulder double hinges already only after a few transforms - these should have been metal too). Its a bad combination of some parts being too way too tight (such as step 07 when you push the nose forward to release the heatshield or the second hinge in the tailfin section to flip up) and other parts just being too flimsy and flopping open (such as the inovative side doors to the head underneath falling open or the head flipping down in Gerwalk). I love how the forward fuselage retracts into the chest shield to reduce the torso length - great design here.

Its a great instant "model" - it LOOKS fantastic, but I wouldn't want to transform it often. In the end, I think its worth it for me, since I don't have time to build any models at the moment, its instant gratification. Its something more to be left in one mode and looked at or occasionally picked up and zoomed around. And really, after the "newness" of all my other Yamato birds wear off, it usually ends up on my shelf in one mode or another to be looked at and occasionally picked up.

Because it's sure purdy!! Can't wait to panel-line, weather and hopefully Anasazi or someone will provide us with some waterslide decals for this baby!! :p

Hi Wmcheng,

Glad to hear that it helped. The tips that i highlighted doesnt really entirely resolved the droopy syndrome of the fuselage area (bad design), but sort of just improves the looks by minimising the gaps, and reducing the dropping of the fuselage by 50%. It still does droop abit if you were to lift it up, its no where as near as the firmness and sturdiness seen in that of the 1/48 VF-1. Agree with your points, the VF-0 in my opnion, is defintely a beauty for display but not for playing.

Edited by recon

here's some pictures of the stand alone ghost with the VF-0S..looks kinda neat in battroid mode but too colorful in fighter mode IMO...

VF-0S with Ghost

and here's VF-0A with the standalone Ghost...this time it looks too colorful in either mode...prolly due to the dull grey colors of the 0A

VF-0A with Ghost

Edited by aaajin

wow, what a big mistake :o

Seriously big. The funy thing about this is that the intakes appear in the correct position on the prototypes and all the pictures on the packaging for the Stand Alone Ghost and the Shin Combo Pack.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16896121@N00/480127557/

http://www.tmpanime.com/index.php?main_pag...cca8fa7644e25cc

• 3 weeks later...

That looks to be the case, maybe I'll pick up another one. . .

Edited by DARKWIND

No it's a VF-0S with Ghost set.

Dude, go further in the site, it is going to be sold in grey stand alone also. . .

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1090

On sale Aug 31 07 as per the online store. . .

Edited by DARKWIND

Dude, go further in the site, it is going to be sold in grey stand alone also. . .

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1090

On sale Aug 31 07 as per the online store. . .

Man, what was the point of the previous stand alone ghost then? Maybe nobody bought it and now yamato is back pedaling. oh well, wouldn't be the first time.. cough *shin* cough.

Man, what was the point of the previous stand alone ghost then? Maybe nobody bought it and now yamato is back pedaling. oh well, wouldn't be the first time.. cough *shin* cough.

The previous stand alone Ghost appeared in the anime for a split second acting as a UAV drone. This grey Ghost is just a booster that can be put on the back of any VF-0, so now you can buy Ghost boosters for all your VF-0's you allready owned.

I think alot of us were expecting that anyway. But I wish they can come up with a colour scheme that would work well with the VF-0S. To me, the grey and the blue ghost just doesn't quite work with the VF-0s.

Edited by Mowe

I just got one, and I am surprised how well it holds. It's not the best, but it holds enough, even with barrel rolls. But I wish it was more secure when mounted on the back of the fighter.