The Soul of Chogokin thread!

Fort Max

I got mine of Saturday and all I can say is "Wow!" I absolutely love this thing! It is awesome! It is definitely worth the price paid for it, and it really puts the SHE model to shame, which happens to be way smaller and a couple of hundred dollars more in price. I'm glad I bought both models, but the Chogokin Gunbuster is one that I will be proud to display without having to worry if it is going to get broken.

Here are my thoughts on the SOC Gunbuster... Initially, I wans't expecting much for the toy, because I was thinking that it would be fiddly like Gaiking, Combattler, Zambot and Dancougar, due to them being more complex than the non transforming [action fig robots]. But surprisingly, GB is less fiddly than his older gattai brothers, except for Voltes, and GB is fairly solid. I was also surprised at the heft and the amount of diecast in the toy. It is obvious that Bandai built this toy for the long run, putting diecast in the right places, meaning diecast joints and for parts usually more prone to breakage if plastic was used instead. I like how Bandai kept the metallic color of diecast parts to show-off the improvements to parts that could be prone to damage and I also like how the diecasts are spread evenly all over the toy to give it more balance and to not make it top heavy. This toy is heavy!!! Maybe just as heavy as Dancougar or even heavier because Bandai didn't skimp on diecast. The diecast parts are the upper arms (biceps), upper legs, hip skirt, shoulder joints, retracting wrist joints, upper torso (skeleton chest and red shoulder parts), ankle ball joints, feet (both transforming and non transforming), arm joints in the shoulder towers, and arm joints for the back pack used in the transformation process.

It's true you would have to remove some panels that are used to aesthetically improve the looks of the BusterMachines, but that doesn't detract from the overall enjoyment you get by transforming this toy, since perfect transformation is technically maintained if you don't use those panels to make the ships look anime accurate.

This toy is an engineering marvel more similar to Aquarion than your typical combiner like Voltes or Dancougar. It is a transformer-combiner, and surprisingly it is very posable, not SOC Eva like, but still has fair posability. It has ratchet joints for the hips, knees, and shoulder joints to maintain poses.

It has a lot of gimmicks and accessories - just look at pictures all over the internet!

Why pay for SHE's version when this is diecast, it is of top Bandai quality, and is a third of the price???

Sadly this is still not my TOTY because it is complex and the transformation is just that, a tad complex. I like Voltes's simplicity, solidity, posability, and bang for the buck [cheaper price]. Nevertheless, Gunbuster was a pleasant surprise and ranks up there as one of my favorite SOCs and is definitely worth the price of admission.

Edited by GDomino

Got my SOC Gunbuster yesterday… WOW! I felt like a kid opening this thing (and overwhelmed with all the stuff that came in the box :p). The figure itself is imposing but when you add the display base it dominates the room. It’s really fun to transform too.

As others have said, it’s an engineering wonder right down to the tail fins on BM 1. These little things even feel like they click into place when you move them even though they aren’t in any kind of special joint.

And boy is this thing heavy!

The non-transforming feet look great but they do have a very difficult time holding Gunbuster in some poses. The transforming ones do a better job but they still have their limits (holding such a heavy figure isn’t easy).

The collider panels tend to pop out rather easily. Once you get to know the toy this is less frequent. Clicking open the ones in the legs when you don’t want to is also common (but again, the more I fondle with the toy the more I prevent this). Also the head could have used more movement (if you could remove the piece in the back of the head you would achieve a bit more freedom).

Overall I’m really pleased with this awesome beauty.

And more SOC Ideon courtesy of gits_sac http://www.sgcollect.com/forum/index.php?s...st&p=955943

IPB Image

Funny you should mention that, Studio Halfeye is working on a Dangaioh now and Kaiyaido has one planned for the Revoltech line as well (non transforming of course).

I would love a transforming Dangaioh, but I will not pay the price on a Studio HalfEye model again after having dealt with the Gunbuster. Just too expensive for such a small and fragile model. Now, if they could design one just like the Gunbuster was built, I'd buy it. I can almost hear the theme song "Cross Fight! Cross Fight!"

Wow! Just finished watching the Ideon 2 part movies this weekend, Part 1 - A Contact, Part 2 - Be Invoked. And I just have to say.... WOW.

Ideon has always been a 'GM Head' to me since childhood when I saw those toys, and never paid much attention to the show until I saw it in the SRW games, then this upcoming SOC release. So I decided to get the region 2 movie DVDs of it just to check it out (TV version is too long and too expensive). I was very impressed. It may not be a very pretty show (especially when quite a few parts of the movies are director cuts from 1980 TV episodes), but it is by far the most serious super robot anime show I saw that is from the 80s, and it is quite a bit ahead of many shows I can think of of its days. It feels and shares some similarities to the first Gundam show (same director) in terms of war and human drama. But the mysterious Ide really adds an extra layer on top of an already very good story. It feels like a real robot anime, though with a super robot in place. While Ideon still kicks ass in the show, it still opens up a lot of room for tragic moments when things just don't go smooth, and with the Ide power still a mystery to the people that uses it. And there are quite a few shocking moments in terms of how the characters we grew to love or hate end up in the end. So surprised that such a good show from 1980 wasn't talked about as much even among anime and super robot fans. It really deserves to be noticed, especially when this show is quite a few years earlier than likes like Macross, Votoms, Dunbine from that era. Now I see why Sunrise labeled Ideon as one of their Real Robot anime in a book I have, but not in the Super Robot anime list.

The region 2 movie 2 DVD set is very nice, with a nice thin box storing the 2 DVDs in regular cases. DVD 1 even comes with a lot of cool extras, with tons of character bio, illustrations, even info on old toys of Ideon released back in the days. But one thing really bugs me is that, both movies don't have any chapter break inbetween, other than the opening and ending. Meaning you have to finish the whole movie in one sitting. Keeps me wondering why an official DVD release in recent years will do something like that?! o_O

For those haven't watched the show, gotta go check this one out! While anticipating the SOC release. ;)

i've seen that base floating on eBay but I cant figure out where it would at this point. <_<

It looks good. It could be versatile enough to put Valks into...

I like a better view in the size comparosin of the teeny tiny robots at the bottom right.

I don't have a bigger pic. Sorry.

But from the bottom left, i can't make out 2 smallest thing which looks like a battle armour.

Then there's the Ingram, VF-1J....can't tell....RX-79, Zeta Gundam, Dancouga...and can't tell again.

Man...the Gunbuster might be just as tall as the SDF-1 if the valkyrie is that small in comparison. Heck, the RX-9 on the gunbuster's hands look bigger than the VF-1J.

I can't really understand why this hasn't been reported here already but never mind,

*ahem*

Diecast Patlabor anyone?

Ok, so they're not SOC but this thread is the best place for them since CM's corporation seems to think they can take on Bandai at their own game with their Brave Gokin line!

These are expensive, 12'800yen for a 7" figure.

But check out the features list:

You get a set with enough different parts/pilot figures to make either Ingram 1/2 from the move or 1/3 from the TV series.

Working patrol lights!

80% metal (apparently)

Opening cockpit

Extending hand & opening revolver holster

SOC grade display base modelled after the vertical dock

awesomeness as standard ;)

Movie set is out in Feb, TV version follows in March.

edit: Zinc Panic says the TV set is a store exclusive and will be limited as such,

http://www.zincpanic.com/view_article.phtml?id=26630

CM's is also doing a Brave Gokin of Goshogun, I know nothing about this guy so I'll just link to Zincpanic's article,

http://www.zincpanic.com/view_article.phtml?id=26551

post-1911-1165011730_thumb.jpg

post-1911-1165011747_thumb.jpg

post-1911-1165011762_thumb.jpg

post-1911-1165011785_thumb.jpg

Saw that on amenbo.com. Both versions actually

They look good but I'm not sure that I want one yet.

Saw these also. I'm considering getting them but I'm not sure about them.

Does anybody own some of these ? What do you think of them?

How tall are they? Whats the Diecast to plastic ratio? How heavy are they?

[attachmentid=38590][attachmentid=38591][attachmentid=38592][attachmentid=38593][attachmentid=38594]

post-3216-1165013575_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1165013588_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1165013605_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1165013612_thumb.jpg

post-3216-1165013621_thumb.jpg

Edited by Macross73

Saw that on amenbo.com. Both versions actually

They look good but I'm not sure that I want one yet.

Saw these also. I'm considering getting them but I'm not sure about them.

Does anybody own some of these ? What do you think of them?

How tall are they? Whats the Diecast to plastic ratio? How heavy are they?

[attachmentid=38590][attachmentid=38591][attachmentid=38592][attachmentid=38593][attachmentid=38594]

The Aoshima/Miracle House Black Getter is about the height of the SOC Mazinger, slightly taller and much bulkier. They are heavy. If you know the Aoshima gokin line, they are well known for very few gimmicks and not very advance engineering, but lot of heft. Like 80-90% of the toy is diecast. I got the normal version Black Getter, which is a semi-flat paint finish, and the grey looks darker in person than pics you normally see online. Its very nice. And I like they really tighten the ankle joints to make the figure very stable in static poses, regardless its weight. But due to the limited range on ankle and hip movement, poses won't be super dynamic. Its an old fashion gokin afterall. Though more likely you will need to tighten the hip screws as the hips come in loose for quite a few people as the screws are not tightened, and make the legs seem to flop. But nothing a screw driver can't fix. They left a lot of room to tighten the crews up and mine is now nice and tight. Everything else is pretty sturdy and tight fitting as well.

So overall, very highly recommended, and the best Aoshima gokin release so far. Just don't expect the complexity and gimmicks you will see in SOC. Otherwise, its very nice. Just watch out those sharp spikes when handling. B))

I dig the Eva, especially for a price tag of around $90USD. I hope unit 00, 02, 03, & 04 will follow (and please give us 05) :rolleyes: .

But I wish they could have stick with that metallic purple they used on the last generation of Eva-01. From the pic, it looks too pale and plastic.

New pics of Spec Unit One. Thanks to bizzio for the pics.

The Aoshima/Miracle House Black Getter is about the height of the SOC Mazinger, slightly taller and much bulkier. They are heavy. If you know the Aoshima gokin line, they are well known for very few gimmicks and not very advance engineering, but lot of heft. Like 80-90% of the toy is diecast. I got the normal version Black Getter, which is a semi-flat paint finish, and the grey looks darker in person than pics you normally see online. Its very nice. And I like they really tighten the ankle joints to make the figure very stable in static poses, regardless its weight. But due to the limited range on ankle and hip movement, poses won't be super dynamic. Its an old fashion gokin afterall. Though more likely you will need to tighten the hip screws as the hips come in loose for quite a few people as the screws are not tightened, and make the legs seem to flop. But nothing a screw driver can't fix. They left a lot of room to tighten the crews up and mine is now nice and tight. Everything else is pretty sturdy and tight fitting as well.

So overall, very highly recommended, and the best Aoshima gokin release so far. Just don't expect the complexity and gimmicks you will see in SOC. Otherwise, its very nice. Just watch out those sharp spikes when handling. B))

I just ordered the Aoshima Black Getter. I should hopefully have it by next week. The Eva is that the Bandai version?

I was wondering the same thing. Whats plastic and whats diecast? is the main body plastic or is it the

armour? It looks good seems to be larger than the Gunbuster. I'm still thinking about whether or not to

order this. I'd like to hear if there will be more of these down the road.

The logic would be Body "parts" Diecast, body Armor ABS plastic (and an extra PVC antennae).

I trully hope so.

About the plastic looking Eva... Mowe, I am sure you can use some of your moddeling skills and paint the armor anyway you want... at least I will do that.

I can't really understand why this hasn't been reported here already but never mind,

*ahem*

Diecast Patlabor anyone?

Ok, so they're not SOC but this thread is the best place for them since CM's corporation seems to think they can take on Bandai at their own game with their Brave Gokin line!

These are expensive, 12'800yen for a 7" figure.

But check out the features list:

You get a set with enough different parts/pilot figures to make either Ingram 1/2 from the move or 1/3 from the TV series.

Working patrol lights!

80% metal (apparently)

Opening cockpit

Extending hand & opening revolver holster

SOC grade display base modelled after the vertical dock

awesomeness as standard ;)

Movie set is out in Feb, TV version follows in March.

edit: Zinc Panic says the TV set is a store exclusive and will be limited as such,

http://www.zincpanic.com/view_article.phtml?id=26630

CM's is also doing a Brave Gokin of Goshogun, I know nothing about this guy so I'll just link to Zincpanic's article,

http://www.zincpanic.com/view_article.phtml?id=26551

I JUST saw a couple pre-orders for those on ebay and ran here to see if it was reported yet... not sure what to think of them.. (can zincpanic have a more annoying website?) I've been looking at my Kaiyodo for so long those look kind of "bulky" to me.. hmm.. the price doesn't help much either.

the pics suck too... I'm going to have to see some really zoomed in pics from some japanese toy review site before I can decide.

but either way more Patlabor anything is good in my book!

its also funny to see all the Bandai DX's on ebay now that those things were announced. :p

still nothing beats vintage in my book. :D

Edited by Poonman

I too am hoping for the new "spec" range of Eva to include the others.

Well... only Asuka's really! As always... i came in too late, and a week ago i paid way too much for her GX-15 SOC Eva-02, but i snapped up GX-14 as well from the same shop, i figured i'd be saving money in the long run anyways if i found the Eva-02 somewhere else, yet another shipping fine.

Also, there is a signifigant lack of armaments? One of the main reasons for my buying the eva-01 was for the triple blade sheath rack, which i plan on modding for the 02's colour, I LOVE the blades. Oh and the piece. So i guess maybe thats all the Eva-01 'spec' is gonna get? Just the one blade? I guess the Eva-02 spec will just get the smash hawk... the spear would be nicer.

If so the Eva-02 is all i will get of the specs. Sorry shinji, im not having more than one Eva-01 in my collection. NO MORE ROOM! T_T

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I dig the Eva, especially for a price tag of around $90USD. I hope unit 00, 02, 03, & 04 will follow (and please give us 05) :rolleyes: .

But I wish they could have stick with that metallic purple they used on the last generation of Eva-01. From the pic, it looks too pale and plastic.

Plastic-ish is how they looked in the show, so it seems pretty accurate to me. Could just be the lighting though.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay i have been looking at the pics of the gunbuster, and have heard that there are some swappable parts. now i can see what parts those are, and have noticed that they arent really required for transformation, just for cosmetic purposes after the transformation. So is this toy a perfect change with just the original parts on it? I really want to buy it and i am dying to know if it both machines combine as they are supposed to.

Other than the detail panels for BM1 and BM2 in ship modes, it is perfect transformation. One of the detail-up panels may actually be left on BM2, along with the tailfins on BM1, and still transform just fine. Gunbuster's back is a little kibbly if you leave it all on though.

So, to answer your question, yes, both machines combine as they are supposed to. I'm really digging mine, and have a hard time leaving it alone :lol:

I think this page was linked waay back in the thread, but it has some great pics of the detail-up parts installed and uninstalled: http://pony-hp3.web.infoseek.co.jp/CD-GUNBUSTER.htm

Edited by Hiriyu

Thanks, i am glad this was made cause it is much cheaper and sturdier from what i hear that the studio halfeye one. I am going to order one right now. I can't wait to get it now. I hope that they can make a perfect change getter like haleye did, but better and cheaper, then all my transforming toy dream will all have come true

Edited by kanedaestes

Other than the detail panels for BM1 and BM2 in ship modes, it is perfect transformation. One of the detail-up panels may actually be left on BM2, along with the tailfins on BM1, and still transform just fine. Gunbuster's back is a little kibbly if you leave it all on though.

So, to answer your question, yes, both machines combine as they are supposed to. I'm really digging mine, and have a hard time leaving it alone :lol:

I think this page was linked waay back in the thread, but it has some great pics of the detail-up parts installed and uninstalled: http://pony-hp3.web.infoseek.co.jp/CD-GUNBUSTER.htm

Speaking of all the kibble on the back, I opted to leave the tail fins for BM1 off in robot mode. However, the dome of BM1 that gets swung over the top of Gunbuster's head and hangs down in back like a backpack is a bit of an eyesore....Can anything be done about that?

The pics in the posted spread show the "backpack" in some, but in others it's not visible...And it does not seem to be because of the angle of the shot.