The Soul of Chogokin thread!

Fort Max

From that last pic, it looks as though the missile hands do have a retracting gimmick, same as SHE's version.

The weapons rack is awesome.

Just another week and a half ... or so... :wacko:

Ohh, didn't notice that nice little surprise in the hands before!

Another neat gimmick joins the SOC Gunbuster repertoire.

Hands on commentaries about the SOC Gunbuster (keep reading the next posts also):

http://www.sgcollect.com/forum/index.php?s...st&p=951493

*Edit*

Photos found in toysdaily:

http://www.toysdaily.com/phpBB2/viewtopic....5828f7fc88e314c (enough pics to puke).

http://hima-toy.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/200...ster__879f.html (this one has spoilers of how the transformation sequence goes).

Edited by Twoducks

Here's my mini review after spending about 1 hour to transform and play with it.

Out of the box, the thing stinked of mold release. As the grey/black color was glossy, you can see the greasy stains left behind by the packing guy and on some occasions finger prints. Nothing a good wipe with a wet tissue can't fix.

The buster machines are heavy and solid. Additional parts can be attached onto them, mainly a big bottom fuselage piece for both BM-1 and BM-2. These parts are the only parts that need to be removed when transforming to Gunbuster so the toy is only 98% perfect change, as these bottom fuselage parts won't go anywhere in Gunbuster mode.

Transforming into Gunbuster isn't as complex as I thought it would be. Every joint has a ratchet joint that moves easily. Unlike the MPC starscream, this thing is fun to transform. For BM-2, you have the option of removing the upper fuselage and leave it out of GB mode for a sleeker backpack. Unfortunately leaving it in GB mode does look kinda fugly as the part flops behind.

I'm sure this only happened to me. I have a very slight paint chip on the yellow/orange part of the chest area. Abit disappointed by this cause its in front and it bugs me that its there. I have to find a matching color to dab that part with.

I didn't have time to play with the accesories yet, but generally i think every part in the box, quite impressively is kept in the display stand. Some under the stand, and some within the control tower itself. And boy is this baby packed with accesories. Really awesome.

Overall the toy is pretty fun. The joints in BM mode are strong. Its size is smaller than a 1/48, in case some people are wondering bout the actual size. I might get pictures up tonight. Overall, great toy.

Edited by wolfx

A little OT from the Gunbuster mania, anyone who owns the Dancougar, what do you think of it? Worth the money? Cool factor? gimmicks? problems? worth getting?

And on that note, which in your opinions is the WORST (or least excellent) SOC? Mine would have to be teh Xabungle - even though it looks great I can never play with it cos it falls to pieces.

A little OT from the Gunbuster mania, anyone who owns the Dancougar, what do you think of it? Worth the money? Cool factor? gimmicks? problems? worth getting?

And on that note, which in your opinions is the WORST (or least excellent) SOC? Mine would have to be teh Xabungle - even though it looks great I can never play with it cos it falls to pieces.

Haha. We are talking one of the best and the largest SOC here. :lol: Big Dan is one of the best for sure. Very sturdy, and everything locks and sits nicely together. Just the neck is a bit problematic, as there is no neck joint (can't even turn head) for a perfect transformation. But there is a jointed swapable neck you can switch with for posing. It worths every penny.

My least favorite SOC is Zambot 3. Had a lot of QC issue, can't hold his weapons, no locking mechanism when there should, not working ratch joint, and the first and only SOC that ever breaks on me. I like Zambot 3 as a robot, but the toy is not that well designed. Using part of the tank as accessory tray is not very smart. Let alone it only hold some, but not all of the accessories. Then why bother and not just leave them all in box? If Zambot 3 is cheaper, then I'll be less critical on it. But its priced way up there almost at Dancouga level. Dan is way way better than Zambot 3. Though Zambot sure looks cool too.

Scale and heft wise, the Dancougar fits in better with the huge and heavy vintage Chogokins/Godaikins. By comparison, the other SOCs are well articulated, metallic action figures, while big Dan is a lead brick. Which is a GOOD thing, by the way. It's got presence.

More Gunbuster galleries:

http://cms.or.tp/~gamu/goukin/gouki/gun/gun1.html

http://cms.or.tp/~gamu/goukin/gouki/gun/gun2.html

http://cms.or.tp/~gamu/goukin/gouki/gun/gun3.html

Thanks to gits_sac of SGCollect

This thing can move it's waist!

And, for a break from the SOC Gunbuster marathon :p , news on the SOC Ideon:

Looks like it's going to be... 28 cm tall, some 11" (taller than Dancougar without the wings, right?)

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/viewthread...;extra=page%3D1

Edited by Twoducks

Toy of the year, anyone? This toy is definately AWESOME.

Where are your further impressions man?

Are you too busy fondling it to type? :p

Edited for news: HLJ has pics up of SOC Spec Layzner,

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN941840

The figure looks nice, better even then an HCM Pro Gundam but I'm still not happy with the price of 8000yen accounting for an sfx loaded display stand.

For now I am cautiously optimistic that Bandai has something else they haven't yet shown that is going to make me forget the price because that is a damn nice figure.

Edited by Fort Max

all right i have always love gunbuster and this one is waaay easier to obtain that the studio halfeye version, which leads me to my next question? when i will finally be able to get a cheaper transforming getter robo?

Where are your further impressions man?

Are you too busy fondling it to type? :p

Edited for news: HLJ has pics up of SOC Spec Layzner,

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN941840

The figure looks nice, better even then an HCM Pro Gundam but I'm still not happy with the price of 8000yen accounting for an sfx loaded display stand.

For now I am cautiously optimistic that Bandai has something else they haven't yet shown that is going to make me forget the price because that is a damn nice figure.

Hehe....what other impressions is there to have? It pwnz all! That's all there is to it! I'm find difficulty in finding toy real estate for it now though. And with the YF-19 coming soon, i'm having REAL trouble. I look at the mountain of empty boxes and uopened toys, i kinda get the feeling this is getting out of hand. >_>

The Layzner looks like a gundam to me, red chin and all (what's with the red chins in mecha anyway?). Is this mecha series any good?

Anybody received their shipping notice from HLJ for the Gunbuster? I paid for it last Sunday but its still being processed.

Their server crashed yesterday, but it's now back online. They announced on their front page that order processing would be delayed a bit. For me, this is always the case. Everytime I order something from them, I get a message back saying they can't process orders because of some holiday or event and that it will have to wait.

Their server crashed yesterday, but it's now back online. They announced on their front page that order processing would be delayed a bit. For me, this is always the case. Everytime I order something from them, I get a message back saying they can't process orders because of some holiday or event and that it will have to wait.

Ok, so it's just bad luck (they must still be shaky, right now the site is down).

Can't wait dammit

IPB Image

From: http://www.sgcollect.com/forum/index.php?s...st&p=953505

Anybody received their shipping notice from HLJ for the Gunbuster? I paid for it last Sunday but its still being processed.

Yeah, yet to pay for it due to lack of funds though :( Thank goodness this Friday is payday! :D

Edit: ^ Is that the Pani Poni X?! :lol:

Edited by Valkyrie Nut

Just got my shipping notice :D

Found this "real" size compariso here: http://greattoysonline.proboards43.com/ind...read=1163247484

Original Italian site with more pics: http://www.mechanicalrage.it/foto/articles...20robots/01.htm

[attachmentid=38186][attachmentid=38187]

No wonder they call these things Super Robots; Real Robot Gundam looks like a toy compared to most of them.

My beloved Mazinger Z is a scrawny little runt :o... my childhood has been raped and all that :p

The thing is that I don't remember so many differences in sizes in that OVA were Gradzinger, Great Mazinger and Getter Robo fight a prehistoric sea monster.

post-2996-1163636403_thumb.jpg

post-2996-1163636431_thumb.jpg

Edited by Twoducks

The thing is that I don't remember so many differences in sizes in that OVA were Gradzinger, Great Mazinger and Getter Robo fight a prehistoric sea monster.

They did that so that they could shake hands with each other otherwise Getter Robo would have completely destroyed Grendizer.

This is just a super lazy re-post from TBDX cos I'm tired. :p

Well now, it's been 10 hours since I got home and ripped into the box bearing my Gunbuster and I'm only now posting my thoughts, why, because I've been having too much damn fun of course!

This thing is superb, fiddily yes and can be a little scary at times but it is also solid. Mine fell forward off the coffee table and parts went flying!

Obviously I shat myself but just a cursury inspection revealed that all detached parts (5 leg collider panels and it's head) went straight back on again with no damage done.

Oh and it fell when it was posed in the full on collider attack so it should have been a lot worse by anyones estimations.

Some random bullet point style thoughts:

* God this thing is heavy, it is loaded with metal parts! A top down view into the guts of the toy fairly sets my heart racing. You can see at least half a dozen gleaming solid metal bars linking all the major parts together. Bliss!

* The straps/belts/whatever that go over the torso are all solid metal as well, no idea why as they don't support any kind of weight but they look fantastic.

* Whoever it was who tried to assure me that I would like the ribcage on the finihsed version was damn right, it is beautifull.

But that pales in comparison to the fantastic detailing on the degeneracy recator cabling, pictures just do not do this justice. There are several cables all entwining with smaller parts coming off here and there and the whole thing has that feel of detail and quality to it that was evident in the anmation itself.

* The middle haft of the twin double bladed axe is metal! Certainly wasn't expecting that but it makes sense, on taking it apart to stash in the base (glee) I was worried breifly that the pegs might snap then remembered it was metal.

* The detail up parts, your opinion of these may vary depending on how much you intend to use them but I think they fit just fine if you spend a few moments carefully tweaking the limbs to line up preoperly.

Certainly they lasted more then long enough for me to put them in BM mode, sit them on the stand, admire it for a few moments and then pull them apart again for the main event.

* Transforming it is nowhere near as hard and involved as I'd at one time thought, I'd almost go as far as to call it intuitive but that may have something to do with all the pictures I've been staring at these last few weeks...

I don't have SOC Danny yet so I can't compare them but going by what I've heard about him GB is easier.

Gunbuster has lots of ratchet joints, even in places you don't expect and there is a satisfying number of spring loaded release catches.

1 in the torso where BM 2's engines plug into GB's lower body

2 in each leg near the bottom, yes two. You need to open all the collider panels and press in both switches at once before the legs will budge an inch.

1 on each foot provided, never seen a toy with saftey catch released feet?

Well now ya have

* Speaking of springs, the tracks in the solid metal anime feet are sprung. This works pretty well with GB's substatial weight pushing them in when it's standing.

* The collider panels, these are nicely designed, the panels somehow stay both shut and open without trouble. The prongs inside are on a seperate plastic hinge which stays stuck to the inside of the panels by a tab unless you provoke them otherwise. You needn't worry about the colliders flapping all over the place when ever you try to pose it.

* The launch tower/display base/weapons cache is an amazing piece of design in and of itself but we all knew that already.

* Tha paintjob deserves to be mentioned, everything here is just gorgeous. No idea how SHE got theirs so wrong but Bandai's toy is spot on!

There is till some stuff I haven't tried out yet, mostly the multibarrel arm cannon and the mount on the top of the tower, I've also only had a brief look at the Buster shield and the wealth of option hands provided not to mention the iconic arm crossing!

Mine has a couple of issues, the head pops out with barely any force applied which is weird more then annoying. Also the wings for BM 2 are mounted on a little hinge pin that enables you to move them in and out towards GB's back slightly, however the hinge on one is very weak on mine.

This is only a problem in BM mode where it then can't support the weight of the craft on the landing gear pod attached to said wing. It's not really a problem though as I paid for an SOC Gunbuster not SOP Buster Machines. ;)

But there is nothing that has spoilt this for me, I haven't been this satsified or for that matter this excited about a new high end toy since (yes, you guessed it) Masterpiece Convoy some three years ago now.

But in answer to my own question earlier on, Convoy will likely still remain No.1 in my collection. Gunbuster is for all it's beauty and accomplished engineering just too fiddily to ever contest the solid block of awesomeness that is Convoy.

But that is the fault not of Bandai but of the original design so with that in mind I say:

"You still have a shot at that No.1 spot so Bring on Ideon Bandai!"

That's enough fevered ranting for now, it's half twelve and I should probably sleep now but please post any burning questions on issues that my rather random approach to reviewing may have overlooked. :)

Edited by Fort Max

The only real pose ability issues it has are the shoulder towers which can only more so far forward or back but they can move far enough to do a convincing full on collider assault pose. B))

Also, the ovals on the hips don't move like similar bits would on a Gundam and the head is very limited due to it's huge neck cover that sticks out the base of the head at the back.

The arms and legs have a satisfying range of movement and it even has a quasi waist joint, it can only twist a couple of clicks either way but even that came as quite a surprise.

Lots of people have gotten theirs over at ToyboxDX.com now and most absolutely love it, can't say I blame em. :lol: