The Soul of Chogokin thread!

Fort Max

Finally got my Ideon! Yay!!!

The Eternal Wait saga has finally reached its end (preordered January and didn't get it until last night), and my beloved SOC Ideon is at hand. It might be a little late, but here is my comment on the toy after a few hours of play time and a few transformation.

Probably the heaviest gokin in my collection, and quality is top notch. Ranks very high among other SOCs on my book, but not too sure if it really takes the crown as the very best yet. Have to give it more time to tell. My biggest gripe on Ideon is the hip joints. Its great that they did beef up the Voltes hip design to compensate the additional weight. But its simply not enough. The joints are sturdy and tight enough, but this thing is easily twice as heavy as Voltes V. It begs to have some very tight ratchets in there to keep the figure from being slanting and off balance. Again, the hips are no where floppy by any means. But we are talking the heaviest SOC here that is over 1.3kg. It needs more hip support from some spring loaded ratchet joints. While I was posing and handling the guy, there were already a couple incidents that he flopped backwards at the hip, almost yield to a crash landing. Luckily I caught it in time. When this big guy falls, its not going to be pretty for sure. While the overall QC is very good, there are still minor things like occasional paint overspray on details, a small crack on mine on a piece of plastic at the waist, and a loose toe joint on one leg. Good that the toe flips down for transformation, not up for articulation. So it doesn't hurt the balance at all. Though they sealed the screw with tight covers that I doubted I can open up the feet and do some fixing without scratching the perfect looking feet. But at least it doesn't hurt the figure much overall.

Though a few minor gripes, Bandai did a lot of things right this time. A LOT! Transformation is not hard, just a lot of small bits and panels to flip over. But man! Its a marvel to behold. It may not have the origami style cleverness in Gunbuster's transformation engineering, but the way that Bandai used almost every single mm on the figure inside out to hide or space out all the stuff and flipping panels, its just too darn cool. It would be really interesting to see a Ideon in clear plastic, seeing exactly how everything is packed in every part of its body. Another great achievement on the SOC line. Great job Bandai. Parts fitment is great. When I put on the shoulder flaps while assembling for the first time, I can tell already that this toy is going to be good. The long rectangular peg slides in soooo snug (without being overly tight) that its like a perfect fitment. As I go along, everything else fits and combines very well too. Only the accessories like the Ideon Swords pales a little as the caps that goes with them don't fit that well on the fists. Not bad, but just ok. Not something fit very nice and tight that the figure can wield around in different poses without having those fall off. But on the main figure, everything fits perfectly. And love the ankle ball joint. Very sturdy with awesome support that Voltes & Gunbuster lack. Bet there is some springs in there to keep it tight and lessen the wear/looseness. If only the hips are ratcheted and more sturdy, this would no doubt be my favorite SOC, regardless the QC issues mine has. Big Dan on the other hand still feels like a solid rock whenever you hold or display it, Thanks to ratchets all over that guy. You really have to push hard to knock that guy down LOL, though Ideon does have more flexibilty in posing. There are also a couple areas you do want to pay more attention to. The plastic spine on B Mecha that the big torso parts slides up & down, as well as the small side wings/flap on the waist that secures the combination of B & C Mecha. They can be a bit fragile if you don't handle them right. And once you broke those pieces, your Ideon combination is going to say bye bye. So be careful with those.

One thing I found out kind of interesting is that, in all the pics Bandai used on the package & instructions, they always took pictures at an angle or pose that hides the red diecast rectangular tabs on the shoulders (on the torso right besides the neck, not on the arms). They stick out quite a bit in robot mode actually, but I never noticed their existance until now. Guess Bandai really did their homework on taking those pics, hiding that flaw. ;D

The Ideon anime has a very special place in my anime collection, and this SOC no doubt lives up to that standard among my toy collection as well. If you don't own one, you are missing out.

Good to hear, I wanted the Ideon to be my next SOC. i heard that it will be re-released soon (before christmas) and was hoping to catch a bargin when there is an over supply.

Good to hear, I wanted the Ideon to be my next SOC. i heard that it will be re-released soon (before christmas) and was hoping to catch a bargin when there is an over supply.

Yeah, The second batch will be available around December.

As I played with it more, I did find a couple more loose bits. A tread on the arm and a small flip out wing. Nothing big. As long as you find something this guy can lean on to get rid of the weight/balance issue, you can pull off some very dynamic action poses with this guy. Very nice!

Does Ideon feel overall more solid than Zambot 3? I love Zambot to pieces, and he's definitley sturdy, but he's quite wobbly.

I really need to start saving my pennies for Ideon...

The Ideon is sturdier than Zambot. All the SOC combiners are wobbly to a certain degree, but they are acceptable to me. So far, the least wobbly combiner would be the Bustgunner.

Yeah...Gunbuster's built quality is exceptional.

Actually, since the SOC news have gone a little quiet (perhaps calm before the storm), may be some of you can tell us which SOC is your fav?

Gunbuster is the clear winner for me (built, aesthetic, playability, & transformation are no match), closely followed by Great Mazinger (original) and Gold Lightan (I like the little guy a lot, it's built is pretty good and has a nice weight).

The Ideon is sturdier than Zambot. All the SOC combiners are wobbly to a certain degree, but they are acceptable to me. So far, the least wobbly combiner would be the Bustgunner.
Edited by Mowe

Yeah...Gunbuster's built quality is exceptional.

Actually, since the SOC news have gone a little quiet (perhaps calm before the storm), may be some of you can tell us which SOC is your fav?

Gunbuster is the clear winner for me (built, aesthetic, playability, & transformation are no match), closely followed by Mazinkaser (original) and Gold Lightan (I like the little guy a lot, it's built is pretty good and has a nice weight).

It's a hard choice! Of the SOC figures I have I tend to like the strange ones the best. Gold Lightan is just too odd to not get my love. Character criticisms aside, it's an excellent toy that has a fun transformation and is very solid and could even be played with by a child (gasp!). My only gripe is that I wish I had waited and got the silver version, but that isn't a fault of the toy.

Another very toy-like contender, and my favorite-of-the-day is Leopaldon. He's a lot of fun and is built to be played with. The transformation cheat is a bit of a let-down, but at least the 'non posing' arms with their lack of motion and rocket punch give the toy a nice retro funk. I think the toy could be a bit bigger, but the bigger a SOC gets the more the cost shoots into the stratosphere, so....

My favorite combiner so far is Zanbot 3. I'm not sure why he caused so many people to turn their noses up back when he came out, but I think he's fantastic. Aside from some wobble he holds together quite well and the seperate ZanboAce vehicle/bot is a wonderful toy in itself. He doesn't move much from the waist down, but he does have enough mobility to keep him from looking rigid. I just love the overall design of the Zanbot character, and the primary colors on him really make him a gorgeous bot that leaps out from the display.

My upcoming favorite looks to be Reideen. I've never seen the show but I love the design of that guy. Can't wait to see some images of the actual toy.

Does Ideon feel overall more solid than Zambot 3? I love Zambot to pieces, and he's definitley sturdy, but he's quite wobbly.

I really need to start saving my pennies for Ideon...

Zambot 3 is my least favorite combiner LOL. But compare to Ideon, Zambot is less poseable, but more solid on the legs, there for better balance. Ideon has overall tight sturdy joints. But his limbs & body are just very heavy. It got tight ankles, but its hip can be a bit stronger. And I find the knees are wobbly, even though its ratchet. So the wobbly knees allows the upper body to lean forward or backward like a 10-15 degree, which is enough to let the figure topple over. So when leaving it in a standing pose, you have to give some attention and make sure its straight. For Zambot 3, you don't have that issue because it has no ankle joint. Gunbuster, a little (thanks to the not very tight ankle on the non-transforming feet). But Gunbuster stands better with the bigger transforming feet, and the knees wobble is very minimal. Dancouga on the other hand, stands like a brick. :lol: You really need to try hard to knock it down.

Pretty much Ideon, Gunbuster & Dancouga are on my top favorites right now. Ideon being the most impressive on size, weight, and clever folding panels (love the show as well), Gunbuster being the most clever transformation/combination with very good build quality, and Dancouga having the most playable modes and the king of ratchet joints. Almost every joint on that thing is ratcheted, and the only SOC combiner I'll never need to worry about falling.

Edited by mpchi

Only SOC I have so far is Combattler V. Any posing would bring him down on the ground. I guess Zambot 3 is the same deal, although it's recent restocking is quite tempting... Zambot 3 toy has been on my want list since childhood.

SOC with modern, less blocky design seems more posable and sturdy. I'd add Dancouga and Baikanfu to my want list.

Edited by konimon

Only SOC I have so far is Combattler V. Any posing would bring him down on the ground. I guess Zambot 3 is the same deal, although it's recent restocking is quite tempting... Zambot 3 toy has been on my want list since childhood.

SOC with modern, less blocky design seems more posable and sturdy. I'd add Dancouga and Baikanfu to my want list.

you should definitely get the Voltes V. it's the best out of the combiner toys IMO and my favourite. The Zambot is cool but there's not much poseability in the legs which is a shame. but he's pretty big.

you should definitely get the Voltes V. it's the best out of the combiner toys IMO and my favourite. The Zambot is cool but there's not much poseability in the legs which is a shame. but he's pretty big.

Voltes V is very good, but I wouldn't put it as the best. Though it does well on a lot of things and has a very clean simple combination. Good all around, just not much surprises. Wish the ankles are tighter too, as Voltes can pose very well, but again, worry it from falling because of the ankles. Before Gunbuster & Ideon's release, it was one of my tops.

Edited by mpchi

Yeah, I notice Volt V is huge amongst many collectors from Philippines. You guy must had grew up watching him and must had been really happy when Bandai came out with the Volt V. I am still waiting for a decent die-cast of Jyuohmaru. I so wanted a Jyuohmaru since I was a little boy....post-3608-1190370042.gif

post-3608-1190369992_thumb.jpg

I can't believe I don't have Voltes V yet. I practically worshipped him as a kid in the Philippines when Marcos was still president back in the day.

Go figure.

Yeah, I notice Volt V is huge amongst many collectors from Philippines. You guy must had grew up watching him and must had been really happy when Bandai came out with the Volt V. I am still waiting for a decent die-cast of Jyuohmaru. I so wanted a Jyuohmaru since I was a little boy....post-3608-1190370042.gif

post-3608-1190369992_thumb.jpg

Voltes V, Mazinger Z, Star Rangers, and Star Blazers were the sh*t back in my time (late 70s when I stayed in the Philippines with my mom). I miss those text cards they used to sell in the province I stayed at. I'd kill to have a complete set of text cards of Voltes V and Mazinger Z.

Reideen is looking very good and BIG!!!!! Bandai is keeping it simple and retain that super robot feel. Let's hope the paint job will come out right.

And the Robot Machine is very impressive. It looks like a potential SOC of the year if the combination and joints are sturdy.

The Iron Gear final colour scheme is even better than I remembered. Love the battroid mode (is that what they call??) but the cruiser mode is still not convincing (probably not Bandai's fault, more to do with the original design, i think the cruiser depth looks to thin).

Edited by Mowe

I'm going to take my comment back about Machine Robot being a potential SOC of the year. I came across this pic and it looks less elegant than the drawings or the prototype. in this pic, he looks a little over weight...the size is still impressive, but the proportion is not right. I hope it is just an angle of the camera...

I am a little worry now....post-3608-1190468407.gif

MachinRobot.jpg

Edited by Mowe

Ooohhh....even more Reideen! Hard for me to believe this guy is at such a low price point (BBTS has it for 79.99)

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/viewthread...;extra=page%3D1

Reideen looks like more articulated than I first thought. I am looking forward to seeing some more leg articulation.

Interesting note from the link is some rough sketches of Godmars Titan showing how to retract it's arms inside.

I've thought those arms would just be removable like Gunbuster's back kibble, but it's good to know that more efforts made to achieve perfect transformation.

I'm going to take my comment back about Machine Robot being a potential SOC of the year. I came across this pic and it looks less elegant than the drawings or the prototype. in this pic, he looks a little over weight...the size is still impressive, but the proportion is not right. I hope it is just an angle of the camera...

I am a little worry now....post-3608-1190468407.gif

MachinRobot.jpg

I think its half & half. The camera angle did make Vaikanfu look fat. But that is a non-combined hallow form, so the figure does sag a little I assume. But given the restrictions on the combination/articulation, the proportion is not ideal even in other better pics I've seen. But its about the best Bandai can do, so don't expect something perfect. Its still very cool and warrants my purchase anyhow.

I've been meaning to get a Dancouga for years but kept putting it off for other "better" toys (like Yammie Valks). Yesterday I decided I absolutely had to have a Dancouga and was able to get one MISB for $155 shipped, which seems like a pretty good deal to me. And to think I almost bought one from BBTS for $180 before shipping!

Anyway, is there anything I should know about Dancouga before I rip it out of the box and start manhandling it? Any particular parts that are easily breakable or anything to watch out for? I've heard it's a pretty tough toy, but it seems like there's always some little thing with specialty toys that needs special attention. Thanks in advance.

I've been meaning to get a Dancouga for years but kept putting it off for other "better" toys (like Yammie Valks). Yesterday I decided I absolutely had to have a Dancouga and was able to get one MISB for $155 shipped, which seems like a pretty good deal to me. And to think I almost bought one from BBTS for $180 before shipping!

Anyway, is there anything I should know about Dancouga before I rip it out of the box and start manhandling it? Any particular parts that are easily breakable or anything to watch out for? I've heard it's a pretty tough toy, but it seems like there's always some little thing with specialty toys that needs special attention. Thanks in advance.

Be very patient with the big version of the yellow elephant ears when transforming between robot mode & beast mode. Its very tricky to fit them folded inside the chest. Never force it in. They will fit nicely if you do it right. But if they somehow don't seem to go in perfectly without forcing or rubbing, its not done right. You will chip the paint & plastic corners if not careful, and becomes very visible on Dan's chest. And don't lose the small arms and gun of Eagle fighter. They are in fact tiny. And keep the chrome sword grease-free as much as possible so it won't have ugly stain. Don't think there is much else, or someone else can chime in.

I want one but I'm feeling kinda wary of buying any more expensive toys these days. Once brought they just seem to sit on the shelf since playing with them usually involves a heavy investment of time.

Even Gunbuster, my most anticiapted toy since Masterpiece Prime just stands stocially on it's launch pad.

I want Ideon too but again have the same nagging doubt that I wouldn't get much out of it after the intial noevelty. :(

eriku: also be careful of the tiny cannons on the rear of Big Moth; especially when you latch on the booster unit as it presses unto them. One of them snapped on mine. =/ Having some trouble gluing it back properly. One way to avoid it snapping is to lift the entire cannon a bit and level the tiny cannons so it doesn't get pushed on. It'll make more sense when you have it in your hands.