The Professional Photography and Photoshop Thread

kensei

BTW: Canon rumors says there might be a EF mount 14-24 mm f2.8 L lens coming next year. That's the best news this years IMO.

I've been pondering what wide angle lens to get next. The EF-S 10-22 mm lens is great but it won't fit a full frame body I might get in a few years. The EF 17-40 mm f4 is great but it's not really wide enough for my needs on a crop sensor camera.

a 14-24 would be perfect cause it'll be wide enough on a crop sensor camera and it work great with the 24-70 mm I plan on getting too. God, what a perfect line up 14-24 mm, 24-70 mm and the 70-200 mm I already own all with f2.8! Can't wait!!

Well, there is the EF 16-35 f/2.8L, great lens too.

I wish Canon would come out with a 24-70 f/2.8L or 24-105 f/2.8L with IS. :lol:

New lenses in the wild

I’m told that a certain TV station will be using the 14-24 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L IS & 70-200 f/2.8L IS II for upcoming productions.

The lenses are planned for a 2010 release.

I just sh*t myself with excitement. I need to start saving up for this one... maybe Christmas next year. :ph34r:

(actually, I wonder what the chances are of getting a non-IS 24-70 for cheap will be once this thing comes out)

also, I'm ordering a new lens Monday, should be here by the 24th.

hey dante, just get a 5d now

I just spent a couple hundred on a tripod and ballhead, no way I can afford a 5D right now. I wish I could though. I was kind of hoping the 7D would be full frame but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

The EF 16-35 is great but it doesn't match with the 24-70 very well which I plan on getting eventually.

I just sh*t myself with excitement. I need to start saving up for this one... maybe Christmas next year. :ph34r:

(actually, I wonder what the chances are of getting a non-IS 24-70 for cheap will be once this thing comes out)

also, I'm ordering a new lens Monday, should be here by the 24th.

I was thinking the same thing. The 'old' 24-70 price should drop when stores get the new IS version in stock.

14-24, 24-70, 70-200 all with f2.8 would be the Holy Trinity of lenses AFAIC.

What lens are you getting?

What lens are you getting?

70-200mm f/4L IS

It's not as fast as the f/2.8, but it's lighter and I'm a sucker for IS ^_^ (and the 2.8 IS is about $500 outside my price range).

as for the 24-70, if I can find it for < $1000 I'm all over it. if not, the EF-S 17-55mm has been quite tempting as of late.

Oh man, if that 24-70 f/2.8L IS comes out, I'm so over it!

The EF 16-35 is great but it doesn't match with the 24-70 very well which I plan on getting eventually.

Personally I prefer to have a bit of an overlap between my lenses. I'm currently using the 16-35 with the 24-105. Needed a wide angle to replace the EFS 10-22mm. 14-24 sounds pretty slick though.

Edited by Phalanix

I asume you went full frame if you needed to replace the 10-22mm?

How was the 10-22mm? Is it as great as the online reviews say it is?

Personally I prefer to have a bit of an overlap between my lenses. I'm currently using the 16-35 with the 24-105. Needed a wide angle to replace the EFS 10-22mm. 14-24 sounds pretty slick though.

I asume you went full frame if you needed to replace the 10-22mm?

How was the 10-22mm? Is it as great as the online reviews say it is?

Yeah, went from the 30D to 5D MKII - might've stuck with the 1.6x crop if they had announced the 7D earlier! <_< But hey, it's full frame now and I can't complain!

Loved the 10-22mm, it's true about what people/reviews say, that it's an L lens in an EF-S body. If you have a 1.6x crop body and need an ultra wide angle lens, the 10-22mm is definitely the one to get.

ive sold my 17-40L, it just was too wide for my taste now. ive also sold my 50 1.8, while it was a sharp copy but it takes awhile to focus on subject though.

so the only thing is left now is my 1000 gram 24-70. im planning to get the faster 50mm 1.4 as my travel lens

Yeah, went from the 30D to 5D MKII - might've stuck with the 1.6x crop if they had announced the 7D earlier! <_< But hey, it's full frame now and I can't complain!

Loved the 10-22mm, it's true about what people/reviews say, that it's an L lens in an EF-S body. If you have a 1.6x crop body and need an ultra wide angle lens, the 10-22mm is definitely the one to get.

I was seriously considering getting it, but with a possible 14-24 on the way, I'll be patient and probably get that.

ive sold my 17-40L, it just was too wide for my taste now. ive also sold my 50 1.8, while it was a sharp copy but it takes awhile to focus on subject though.

so the only thing is left now is my 1000 gram 24-70. im planning to get the faster 50mm 1.4 as my travel lens

Seriously? I'll take it as wide as it comes (I'm talking lens ngle not,... you dirty bastards!)

BTW. Here's a link to my Urban Exploration blog with pics. It's in Dutch but you should be able to navigate it. We've only visited three sites so far, at one of which we had to get out fast because of someone entering the building. Let me tell you, I almost pissed my pants when we heard the door opening.

Sorry to interrupt you Cannonites, but a newby Nikon D90 shooter is in town :D

I've read on several forums and websites that your equipment is only as good as the person shooting. If that aint the biggest sack of horse s h i t I don't know what is! I just popped my lens (Nikkor AF-S DX VR Zoom 18-200mm f/3.5-5.5G IF-ED) on the body of this thing without a clue as to what I was doing. Everything is in auto mode I think; letting the camera make all the decisions. Without any effort I have pulled off nicer shots than any point and shoot I've used. I can't even imagine the shots I'll be able to pull off when I learn how to use the program mode and dial in apperature and iso settings and what not. Nothing to shake a stick at, but these are the first shots I took just sitting here at my desk. Was actually leaning back in the chair playing with the zoom on the first two imgages just to see what kind of pictures this thing will capture. Again, nothing to "wow" about, but I am surely impressed with it. Less than 50 shutter actuations on the body and I got the lens for less the $600 with no creeping, as it had been a reported problem. I plan on taking the lens and body to work tomorrow to let our photographer test drive them to see what they think. Anywho, I think I have been bit by the photography bug like I was bit by the Macross bug in January 2008! Check out the bokeh on the MG picture. Had to get some pics of this beaut before it ships off to its new owner.

gallery_7126_36_2729637.jpg

gallery_7126_36_1775724.jpg

gallery_7126_36_2336497.jpg

Edited by MacrossMan

?

I thought I understood how aperture works, but wouldn't the aperture-blades have to be outside the lens for f/0.95 to be possible?

You think $10.000 is a lot? Check this bad boy.

no, Just a ridiculously wide internal diameter relative to the focal length.

Check out the bokeh on the MG picture. Had to get some pics of this beaut before it ships off to its new owner.

Heh. It is really nice, but there are issues with it from a technical perspective. Won't want to spoilt your fun with the new cam though, we'll come back to it in due time. :)

I've thought about it but I'd loose the 320 mm range I need for my race photography.

My friend does the video's, I just take pictures.

What video did you watch that was so gross & scary?

sell the 40d and get that fullframe youve been wanting

anyway the video was kinda gross & scary.

I've thought about it but I'd loose the 320 mm range I need for my race photography.

just slap in an extender

My friend does the video's, I just take pictures.

What video did you watch that was so gross & scary?

the one at the very bottom.

Heh. It is really nice, but there are issues with it from a technical perspective. Won't want to spoilt your fun with the new cam though, we'll come back to it in due time. :)

:lol: Hey I promise you won't bring me off my high horse because I know it's nowhere near a "great" shot, but compared to stuff I've taken before it is definitely one up on those. The bokeh reference was really for fun because it is something I never would have paid attention with past photos. Heck I wasn't even trying to achieve good bokeh, I just noticed the blurred background and was like "Ha! That's bokeh!" So by all means, critique the photo; it's the only way I can see myself getting better before I learn how to tune this thing in. B))

So by all means, critique the photo; it's the only way I can see myself getting better before I learn how to tune this thing in. B))
Nah, not much point in doing so now. You should concentrate on being happy with camera first, to learn its quirks (and $deity knows Nikon stuff got quirks.. :D ). We can get to the technicals once you have some feel of the camera. :)

I hope I can ask this question without us getting into a pissing match about which one is better, but I am curious to know why some choose Cannon and others choose Nikon. After all my research I found that Cannon generally stays on the bleeding edge with technological advancements while Nikon generally focuses on simplicity and making better what is already good. My research also led me to believe that Nikon, in genral, produces nicer lenses than Cannon. The choice for me was easy because I wanted a nice simple body with solid performance with a nice array of lenses to select from.

Why did you choose the camera you have today? :unsure:

I hope I can ask this question without us getting into a pissing match about which one is better, but I am curious to know why some choose Cannon and others choose Nikon. After all my research I found that Cannon generally stays on the bleeding edge with technological advancements while Nikon generally focuses on simplicity and making better what is already good. My research also led me to believe that Nikon, in genral, produces nicer lenses than Cannon. The choice for me was easy because I wanted a nice simple body with solid performance with a nice array of lenses to select from.

canon rules hahaha!

canon has more lineup of lens to choose from and easier to get especially on the used market.

all my friends use canons, so that means i can borrow their lenses and accessories.

and i just love my 5D2 so much.

I prefer the nikon UI over canon's as well as the ergonomics in terms of button and wheel placement but I will say canon's grip is nicer.

Nikon's lenses are superior in build and performance

Nikon gets better ISO and color reproduction out of their sensors (even though they don't design and build their own). I can shoot handheld and without a flash in situations where my canon shooting friends have to bust out their flash setups.

I decided early on that a crop frame camera was what I was most interested in over a full frame camera and Nikon is superior in this regard.

When I bought my D90 the only competition canon had was the 4D and the D90 blows it out of the water and it's still competitive to the more expensive 5D.

I find canon white lenses to be obnoxious. :D

Pissing match for sure.

Canon and Nikon, both have very good tech. There's really not much diff between the two tech-wise -- both tends to extend progressively their technologies, and neither are likely to jump onto a new paradigm in photography (which is great for us, because technology stability = less cost! Imagine having to re-invest in bodies and lens every few years). This is one primary reason why I wrote off Sony or other camera makers -- they neither have the track record nor the strong backing to make long-term maintenance viable.

For me, the deal-maker is the UI. I tried both Canon and Nikon, but felt the Canon viewfinder too cluttered for me to take to. Hard to get used to the grip too. Nikon felt better and had easier UI to interpret. (Remember that this is some 6~7 years back, so things might have changed.)

As to brand...... I always say whatever works for "you". Some people prefer Cannons, some Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic and some even Sony. I find taking pictures to be a very subjective experience and a camera you don't like using will always result in sub par pics. So if you aren't enjoying the experience that the camera provides in taking pics don't buy it. One of the reasons I didn't buy an EP-1 was that the intial user experiece with their GUI for the camera drove me nuts. That is most likely because I grew up using Canons though.

Anyway I like landscape and macro shooting so shutter performance is not the most important thing for me. I also wanted something that I could throw in my back pack and just go. I would have bought and EP1 or Pany GR1 but that was out of my budget range right now and why I bought a G11. I know the low light is not as good as an SLR and the shutter speed kind of sucks for action but I like the build of the camera and I like most of the shots I get with it (I really need to get a monopod for some of those low light shots....) My brother prefers his $300 PowerShot SX200 IS because it has a 12x zoom and its small. He can keep it in his pants pocket and whenever his 1 year old daughter does something kooky he is ready to shoot it. It dosen't take the greatest pictures IMO but he and his wife are perfectly happy with it. Beauty is always in the eye of the Beholder right?

Now as too what Macross Man was saying I agree to the most part, but Program mode can only get you so far. I have been rather impressed what the program modes can get you on some of the newer Budget SLRs and high end compacts. That being said when you are going for certain effects in a shot, having control and knowing what you are doing can help allot. I got my G11 a few months ago and for "quick" shots I leave the camera in program mode and only screw around with the exposure dial and it takes pretty decent pics. For those tougher low light shots playing around with exposure, iso, shutter and white balance can get you some impressive shots. If you look at the shot below that is taken with a fluorescent bulb lighting the scene. I played with the white balance and exposure till I got this "warmer" shot out of it. Also adjusting the shutter enough so that my shaky hands don't make the pic blurry and give enough light for the shot.......did I mention I wanted a monopod? Maybe my parents listened to me this year....:(

IMG_0232.jpg

Edited by logos