Analyzing 'Brain-Direct Control'

grebo guru

Greetings all,

I'm no newbie to Macross (been following it since it started), but there are some rather specific technical issues I've been wondering about. See, I plan on running a Macross game sometime soon and so there are several Macross details I'm looking to learn more about.

(For those who are curious, I'll be using R. Talsorian Games' "Mekton Z" system rather than Palladium, which I find unsuitable. I wrote up specs for the Macross Plus VFs which were printed in an issue of V.Max magazine back in the '90s. They represent the kind of stats I plan on using.)

Anyway, here's one of my questions. If the subject(s) I bring up were discussed/answered in previous threads, I'd appreciate it if someone would point me to them. And if any of these matters have not been covered, I'd be thrilled by a discussion. Thanks!

Brain-Direct control

I gather that the VF-22 does not use the Brain-Direct control system used in the YF-21... But was BDI completely abandoned after Macross Plus? I should think research and experiments in its use would continue. Its potential is enormous. And really, a lot of the problems with the YF-21's BDI stemmed from the fact that its pilot (Guld) had hidden mental problems! It seems to me a more sane and stable pilot would reap temendous benefits from BDI. Has this been explored in any of the video games or other material?

Thanks in advance for your input, everyone!

Grebo

Brain-Direct control

I gather that the VF-22 does not use the Brain-Direct control system used in the YF-21... But was BDI completely abandoned after Macross Plus? I should think research and experiments in its use would continue. Its potential is enormous. And really, a lot of the problems with the YF-21's BDI stemmed from the fact that its pilot (Guld) had hidden mental problems! It seems to me a more sane and stable pilot would reap temendous benefits from BDI. Has this been explored in any of the video games or other material?

Thanks in advance for your input, everyone!

Grebo

I tend to foster the idea that the BDI system wasn't abandoned, but rather scaled back to "enhance" a pilot's ability in the cockpit as opposed to allow total control. Max's helmet in the VF-22 is similar to Guld's and I tend to believe it is because the BDI system is used to speed up reaction times between the pilot and the fighter, thus allowing the fighter to "intuitively" respond to the pilot's control nearly instantaneously. IMO.

I tend to foster the idea that the BDI system wasn't abandoned, but rather scaled back to "enhance" a pilot's ability in the cockpit as opposed to allow total control. Max's helmet in the VF-22 is similar to Guld's and I tend to believe it is because the BDI system is used to speed up reaction times between the pilot and the fighter, thus allowing the fighter to "intuitively" respond to the pilot's control nearly instantaneously. IMO.

As per the Macross Compendium ...

PROGRAMME: VF-22 developed from General Galaxy YF-21 design after UN Forces' decision not to adopt the earlier design as the main variable fighter in the Super Nova (AVF) competition. Brainwave control system not implemented in VF-22 design due to test results on the YF-21 in the Super Nova competition.

and

ACCOMMODATION: Pilot only in g-endurance zero/zero ejection seat and wearing Tactical Life Support System with upper and lower g-suits and pressure breathing; completely shielded, presurized cockpit with external view maintained by overhead spherical canopy, one forward panel, and two side panels in cockpit hatch; conventional digital flight control system with side-stick controller.

There's no way to know that the BDI system isn't still being worked on in some lab, but all remnants of it were ripped out of the VF-22 series and replaced with conventional controls.

Max was just a badass.

and

There's no way to know that the BDI system isn't still being worked on in some lab, but all remnants of it were ripped out of the VF-22 series and replaced with conventional controls.

Max was just a badass.

isn't that the only answer we really need? :lol:

and

Max was just a badass.

Cool thanks man, I didn't take the time to look it up.

The only other explanation is....

"Max was just a badass" :lol:

Please try to avoid starting topics with nearly identical headers in a relative short amount of time. It does looks like your spamming the board. Also, please remember to use the newbie thread (even if your not a newbie) to find answers to common/short questions.

Guld may have a problem with the BDI/BCS but that does not mean sole was the only cause. The BDI/BCS, as we saw, responded to even a minor thought of revenge. You could say Guld is just as sane as any other pilot out there. He just happened to be half-Zendtradi and carried their natural aggressive tendencies. But if the system responds to even minor thoughts, it becomes an risk to you and your wingmen. So even if you are sane and stable, your emotional state can cause problems. In addition to that, the system is quite an investment, and not just for the equipment alone. Training the pilot to use the system in addition to teaching the pilot to fly the plane in the first place is also an investment.

The Pheyos Valkyrie was believed to have used a brain-control system similar to the BCS/BDI system. Although, this system was badly damaged and attempts to determine the extent of its function were minimal at best.

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/zentradi/va...vice/index.html

Read the conqueror's series of books by Tim Zahn. In that he has a type of fighter that uses a BDI/BDC system and it explains how the crews are heavily screened. In his books it is mostly because of addiction to the system problems, but the system also "neuteralizes" the pilots emotions while they are jacked in. It also links the minds of the crews creating a sort of hybrid hive mind. It's interesting stuff and almost what you would have to do in order to make a BDI/BDC system work.

Alternatively I have a similar system for BDI/BDC in my books, but the pilots are not a part of it. The WSOs are, they in effect become a part of the fighter and its computer system which allows for better control of all the systems, but they generally do not directly control the fighter.