Wave High advancd Model 1/5000 DYRL SDF-1 Diecast!

xstoys

or you can watch this guy transform his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RISrZC6ZGeU&NR

Yeah, he had referred to it before. He's just trying to add more info. ;)

I have to concur with TwoDucks, the hardest part is getting those legs to pull down. Definitely take a *good* look at all the joints in the area and be aware of what needs to happen before you start tugging.

Here's an image that might help along with TwoDuck's tips. Sorry it's so blurry. But I'm not about to re-transform mine to get a better one!

[attachmentid=41046]

Thanks for the tips TwoDucks! Gave me the courage to pull far harder than I otherwise would have. . . but it was necessary!

post-189-1173568210_thumb.jpg

Mini-Review.

Got mine about an hour ago. I certainly don't regret my purchase. However, there is one disappointment. One of my main gun booms is very floppy and loose. Just typing with it here on my desk, it's vibrating all over the place. Others have said that all their joints are super-tight. So I guess I'm just unlucky. :(

Having said that, it doesn't look shiny at all sitting here on my desk with quite a bit of ambient sunlight in the room. I'm pleasantly surprised. It also doesn't look small at all. It's a perfect "desk piece" for giving that Macross "buzz" whenever you look over at it.

Has anyone put up an image of the old Bandai/Matchbox next to this yet? Well, if not, here's one:

IPB Image

The Bandai/Matchbox one just looks silly to me now that I've got the Wave. It's just so much more detailed and looks like the actual anime Macross. The Bandai/Matchbox now looks like a Fisher-Price toy to me.

Cameras don't do the finish on this product justice. They always make it look shinier than it actually does to the naked eye. I can't seem to take a picture of it that accurately reflects that it is not as shiny as it appears in images.

Finally, just because I'm a.retentive, here's a link to a 4MB video (low quality, taken on my wife's desk -- hence the flowery crap) of the wobbly main gun boom. Boo! I figure I'll just cram some paper or cardboard in there. It's jiggling now as I type this. :(

The more I look at this thing, the more I like it.

It seems bigger than it is. Just sitting on my desk right here. Especially when it's on its stand and its "arms" are swept out. Remember, it's actually taller than 1/60 VF-1s. :o

It just puts every other SDF-1 toy previously released to absolute shame.

NICE!

H

It just puts every other SDF-1 toy previously released to absolute shame.

Agreed. I love the look of the thing and pictures do not do it justice. Just imagine how sweet it would be though if it was the same size as the Matchbox 1/3000 scale. I would have paid as much as $250.00 for this in A 1/3000.

Edited by robodragon

Ouch! Sorry about your wobbly main gun Hurin. In my case the QC problem is a crooked head (well, don’t know if that was because I was careless in the first transformation and pressed against it). I’ll have to superglue it in place because pushing it down doesn’t help.

Thing I forgot to mention:

Placing the ship/stand connector piece had to be done while in midtransformation of the body because it wouldn’t fit otherwise. This was because the peg didn’t have enough space underneath. After that, I was able to connect it without any problems after finishing the transformation (guess it was mistransformed the fist time I tried).

One thing I don’t remember reading about is the cute little mechanisms that hide the pegs that hold the main guns together. When you rotate them the pegs disappear.

The toy looks AWESOME and I'm really happy with it but for the price Wave could have done something extra like adding a set of damaged main guns like in the movie (don’t know if that could really be possible though) and/or including some clear plastic pieces simulating the firing of the main guns (like Bandai is doing now with some of their kits).

[attachmentid=41051][attachmentid=41052][attachmentid=41053]

post-2996-1173576402_thumb.jpg

post-2996-1173576412_thumb.jpg

post-2996-1173576421_thumb.jpg

Edited by Twoducks

Ouch! Sorry about your wobbly main gun Hurin.

I'm already over it. A piece of paper wedged in where it can't be seen and it's all better! :)

Good luck with your crooked head! :(

Hi Twoducks & Hurin,

Thanks very much for the helpful explanation. Finally summoned up my courage just now and managed to pull the leg down. NICE!!!

This is what i'd done (sorry if it is confusin :p )

(Say for pulling down the SDF-1 right leg):-

I did it by using both my hands, with my right hand thumb & index finger support firmly holding the "side torso which's protuding a bit out & is initially one with the leg-the black coloured plastic with horizontal lines", then with my left hand thumb & index finger support firmly holding the upper leg part initially adjointed to that side torso and pull horizontally out with a bit of swing clockwise motion. Then it will click unlocking the leg. And like Hurin describled in the pic, pull the leg down with left hand while push the side torso up with your right hand thumb in one motion.

Thanks you guys!!!!! :lol:

Cheers,

Just In

Mine arrived today as well :D .

Since I anticipated it to be small, I think I took the hit well, I now call it cute (expensively cute... :wacko: ).

I spent a day with it and I can’t keep my eyes off it, it is a beautiful thing. The details are certainly making up for its lack of size. I now think of it as a Soul of Chogokin, instead of a Yamato Macross – that makes me forget the size issue.

Wave’s paint job is also exquisite. Hurin is right, camera does not do its justice. You wonder why Yamato does not use better paint to gives their Macross toys that extra lift <_< .

My complaint would be the lack of diecast where there should be. Diecast should have been used for the spikes, the hip/leg junction, the skinny arms and elbow. This toy feels very fragile during transformation, I doubt I want to tempt fate too many times.

Overall, as a display toy, I love it :wub: . A cheaper price tag will make me happier but since there are little SDF-1 choices out there, what else can I do?? :(

For those interested in comparison shots, here are some pics:

[attachmentid=41117][attachmentid=41118]

post-3608-1173702732_thumb.jpg

post-3608-1173702808_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mowe

Mowe,

Shame on you. Your SDF-1 is cheating and trying to look taller than it is! Those main gun booms haven't been pushed back and down as they should be! :o

;)

He...he...I was just trying to give the SDF-1 some help (I am a short fellow myself, I know how it feels to be over towered...), damn, you picked it up... :lol:

Mowe,

Shame on you. Your SDF-1 is cheating and trying to look taller than it is! Those main gun booms haven't been pushed back and down as they should be! :o

;)

Hi MWF,

Anyone who own the wave sdf-1 happen to have a "coloured" transformation guide leaflet? Or is it all black & white? Mines black & white but remember seeing a pic of the guide leaflet in colour for the sdf-1 item sometime in ebay. Thanks!

Cheers,

Just In

The instructions come in black and white. The color ones you saw might have been from a pre-production sample.

Captain O'Hagan: I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says, " Shenanigans."

Mac: Hey Farva what's the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy poo on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?

Farva: You mean Shenanigans?

mine is b/w :)

Hi MWF,

Anyone who own the wave sdf-1 happen to have a "coloured" transformation guide leaflet? Or is it all black & white? Mines black & white but remember seeing a pic of the guide leaflet in colour for the sdf-1 item sometime in ebay. Thanks!

Cheers,

Just In

OK, got mine today, and I'm very happy with it.

Despite it's smallishness, it's uber detailed and the colors and paint job are superb!

EDIT - OK, I just transformed this wee beastie for the first time, and all I can say is......WOW. They really thought this thing through. Everything locks together in storm attacker mode nice and tight, and it looks great!

I really love finally having real ARMD platforms too. This is a keeper to be sure. It looks so good that I really don't care that it's not as big as the old Bandai version. Anything bigger would be too vulgar.

Eat your heart out Yamato, if you can't make one half as cool as this one, DON'T TRY!

I wonder how the SDF would look in relation to this Zentrodi resin model, would it be close enough to the correct size? Because, if they did I think they'd look pretty cool together - positioned or posed. Does anybody have both of these? If so, could you take a photo of them together?

Cheers

post-2615-1174188542_thumb.jpg

I'm too lazy to look up the sizes now. But if my old RT knowledge applies to the Macross ship sizes, I believe the Macross is tiny compared to a Zentraedi flagship. It's like 1/10 or 1/20 the size. :o

Alright folks. Based on all the reviews it seems like an awesome sculpt but too pricey for some of you. I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and pick this puppy up.

DONE. It should be here in two weeks.

Edited by UN Spacy

I dont it would matter too much who makes as long as its a

bigger version . This one looks great but as others have

stated its just too pricey for what you get.

Mine came in on Saturday. I love this thing. A bit pricey buy hell, you only live once. Damn you guys for showing me this. :p

When I see this gorgeous beauty next to my desk I wish I hadn’t sold the extra one I originally got. I was going to sell both to recoup some cash but that evil youtube video made me open one. Good thing I did crack one open; this thing is one of my favourite pieces in my collection.

On a side note: call me an heretic, but a lot of times I’m reminded of the opening of M2 when I see the fig :p

Wow. That seller was FAST....shipped on the 25th and it's here on the 31st.

BTW. After a couple of hours of fidling the right arm is a bit loose. It can't hold the ARMD in low vertical poses that easily. Any recommendations?

Aside from that it's a goregeous addition to da collection.

IPB Image

In up standing mode with the cannon pointing upwards, do people find their cannons don't quite locked in perfect alignment? That is, one cannon is slightly forward than the other.

Not a big deal, but I find it a little annoying.

Edited by Mowe