Wave High advancd Model 1/5000 DYRL SDF-1 Diecast!

xstoys

Rather than Yamato, i'd prefer Bandai to make it in their Soul Of Popynica series.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Space-Battleship-YAMAT...7QQcmdZViewItem

GREAT idea. It's sad that Bandai hasn't expanded on this line, I've been ITCHING for an Andromeda for years. ITCHING!

Eeecch!!! That Yamato just arrived my house last week. I'll post some pic when I am home. It is really cool, it has light, sound, pull out compartments, lovely weathering, and very decent details, great for people like me whom can't put anything together.

It is fairly plastic-ish so it is not really as SOC as you might hope but a SDF-1 in that scale would be nice.

Edited by Mowe

GREAT idea. It's sad that Bandai hasn't expanded on this line, I've been ITCHING for an Andromeda for years. ITCHING!

Well I hope they scratch it with a TV SDF-1. Yes, the movie one looks nicer, but come on! Give the original some love too, just like the Yamato.

I don't quite get the jargon, but from what I can make of it, Soul Of Popynica is for the battleships and Soul of Chogokin is for the mecha figures?

I guess...but only the Yamato was released under the SOP line. I rememebred seeing Arcadias about the same size and grade and found out those were pretty old and didn't have a SOP label on them. They were just called Chogokin.

http://www.toyplayer.com/popup_image.php/pID/208

If i had a SDF-1 in that grade and size, i'll be happy. Throw in skull squadron lil planes and stuff, makes me a happy man. :D

I dunno, when HLJ sells out, I start getting nervous and usually go into "panic buying" mode wherever I can find it. As I did in this case. :(

well i think HLJ didn't stock as much as planned since as soon as pics were posted and a size comparison could be made, everyone was like WTF thats tiny! for how much? then people proceeded to cancel their orders left and right on HLJ before the item even came out. :lol: then HLJ changed the status from "preorder" to "discontinued" perhaps to entice people into purchasing the item anyway.

i myself was waiting for a review before my purchase but as soon as i saw the pics of it next to a valk, it was an instant hells no, not for that price. seriously, the only people i'm competing with in getting this toy are other 30 year olds and i know we're eventually going to sell. :D

I am NOT a sales person. I am a reviewer and writer for Collection DX. Which by they way anything I review I do PAY for myself. My comments where based on information from HLJ when I watched them change the listing on their site a week BEFORE they had filled my preorder from "PREORDER" to "DISCONTINUED". That implies to me WAVE sold their run.

i didn't realize my post came across that way but i honestly wasn't accusing you of anything. it was a general statement about what sellers would say, sorry about that.

just because HLJ sells out doesn't mean WAVE sold out. what does WAVE's production run have to do with HLJ? there are other distributors out there and theres quite a few vendors carrying this item. when WAVE says "we're completely sold out" and none can be found readily on ebay, then it'll really be sold out.

I also puzzled as to why Yamato hasn't made the SDF-1 Macross.

IIRC, they can't do repaints so they would have to charge a ridiculous amount of money.

Now that it's all over and won't be misinterpreted as taunting. . . I gotta say, I thought this was the most hilarious post of the whole thread:

Hrmmm......a walking Macross without a spark would be a Zombie Macross! And of course, he would want trains....

IPB Image

"Trains....uhhh....trains!....uhhhrg.....trains......."

Nice! :lol:

Heh...heh...Yamato riding Yamato.... :lol:

Imagine the 1/48 riding a SDF-1 of this size (with lighted up engine at the back)... :rolleyes:

[attachmentid=40994]

Rather than Yamato, i'd prefer Bandai to make it in their Soul Of Popynica series.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Space-Battleship-YAMAT...7QQcmdZViewItem

post-3608-1173360656_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mowe

:lol::lol::lol: Do you want to see the cannon in action? :p

Mowe...that looks like something else, I'm going to sleep, I'm thinking dirty things. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Do you want to see the cannon in action? :p

:lol:

[Akon]

smack that, all on the floor

smack that, give me some more,

smack that, 'till you get sore

smack that, oooh.

smack that, all on the floor

[/Akon]

Please..no stop...don't show it...

Well, frak, I think the video just sold me too.

I have the Wave SDF-1 on my desk at work. Yes, it's small and pricey, but the detail is beautiful IRL. Probably the best sculpt to date.

Now if they could only make it larger... ^_^

Imagine the 1/48 riding a SDF-1 of this size (with lighted up engine at the back)... :rolleyes:

[attachmentid=40994]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's about to shoop da whoop!

[attachmentid=40994]

For some reason that reminds me of Slim Pickens infamous scene from Dr. Strangelove. :D

5 pages of heated discussion filtered down to 2 pics :p :

[attachmentid=41037]

[attachmentid=41038]

Back to the topic at hand:

I find the size perfect (I don’t have much space to display stuff); just wish the price was lower.

That aside, I really like this toy. Looks great in ship mode and awesome when transformed. You don’t notice how small it is unless you compare it to bigger stuff (like with the 1/48).

[attachmentid=41029]

By itself it looks bigger than it really is (very nice detail). The box feels light but the toy itself is heavy (especially in the legs where most of the diecast is).

The video is great to show how the toy looks but I would follow the instructions when transforming it, at least the first few times. The centre body should not be put in place until the end, that way pulling down the legs becomes easier (they are very tight and if done wrong could spell disaster). There’s a piece of plastic that can work as an anchor point four your finger like so:

[attachmentid=41028]

Then with your other hand you can gently pull away the leg and then down until it locks into place.

Doing the legs first (unlike the video) means that the arms can unlock farther away and leave more space for when the shoulders rotate.

Things to look after:

-Due to the size, the antennas and such are thin and therefore fragile. If you are not careful they could get caught on your clothes and then snap. You won’t have problems if you keep track of them when transforming.

-The part where the legs lock into place in both ship and robot form is plastic, so again be careful when pulling down the legs until they loosen up a bit.

-Be careful when moving the arms. These joints are freaking tight so carefully move each one until they are a bit loose. Remember that the first joint rotates (unlike the rest, which more up and down).

The stand is great and you can achieve some cool poses thanks to it (since the body has a clicking joint, it can be made to look like the SDF-1 is coming or going towards you). The legs also rotate a bit in the hip area and have a weird perpendicular knee joint (they can move to the sides).

post-2996-1173486535_thumb.jpg

post-2996-1173486579_thumb.jpg

post-2996-1173489731_thumb.jpg

post-2996-1173489779_thumb.jpg

Edited by Twoducks

SDF-1 is not so small after all.

Nice comparision pics, thanks. :)

5 pages of heated discussion filtered down to 2 pics :p :

[attachmentid=41037]

Hello MWF,

I just got my SDF-1 today. I LOVE IT. It is very detailed, excellent finishing, tight tight joints and got nice weight. I'd read twoduck's step, but the leg joints are extremely tight and i'm still afraid to use excessive force to unlock the legs down. Can anyone pls show/describe/explain safe steps of way of unlocking them?

For instance, say i'm facing the front of SDF-1. Is it to support the toy like "twoduck" decsribed at the plastic on the central body using my right hand & then using my left hand, grab whole of the SDF-1 left leg with my thumb & index finger placed at the upper leg part ajointed to the hip and then yank/swing the leg up clockwise to a few degree(assuming like there's a pivot point at the hip?) and will the whole leg will unlock itself after yank/swing up to before 90 degree? Is this the right way? Or not to yank/swing but to pull horizontally out?

Pls Help anyone. Sorry for the long description of my question. Thank you.

Cheers,

Just In (a newbie to MWF)

Hello MWF,

I just got my SDF-1 today. I LOVE IT. It is very detailed, excellent finishing, tight tight joints and got nice weight. I'd read twoduck's step, but the leg joints are extremely tight and i'm still afraid to use excessive force to unlock the legs down. Can anyone pls show/describe/explain safe steps of way of unlocking them?

For instance, say i'm facing the front of SDF-1. Is it to support the toy like "twoduck" decsribed at the plastic on the central body using my right hand & then using my left hand, grab whole of the SDF-1 left leg with my thumb & index finger placed at the upper leg part ajointed to the hip and then yank/swing the leg up clockwise to a few degree(assuming like there's a pivot point at the hip?) and will the whole leg will unlock itself after yank/swing up to before 90 degree? Is this the right way? Or not to yank/swing but to pull horizontally out?

Pls Help anyone. Sorry for the long description of my question. Thank you.

Cheers,

Just In (a newbie to MWF)

It’s kinda difficult to explain but here it goes:

In the pic I posted you can see my left thumb. It's there to counter the force I use with the right arm when I unlock the leg. I pull horizontally and downward at the same time to unlock. After that you have to swing down the leg until it locks in its place. This part is also kinda difficult because the part of the joint that connects to the leg is a kind of ratchet joint (and very tight).

If you still feel unsafe in your first transformations, try using other anchor points (like your index finger on top of the chest). The whole point is to make sure that the plastic hip area does not receive too much force in one direction. Once you get the hand of it there shouldn’t be any problem.

Hope this helps.

It’s kinda difficult to explain but here it goes:

In the pic I posted you can see my left thumb. It's there to counter the force I use with the right arm when I unlock the leg. I pull horizontally and downward at the same time to unlock. After that you have to swing down the leg until it locks in its place. This part is also kinda difficult because the part of the joint that connects to the leg is a kind of ratchet joint (and very tight).

If you still feel unsafe in your first transformations, try using other anchor points (like your index finger on top of the chest). The whole point is to make sure that the plastic hip area does not receive too much force in one direction. Once you get the hand of it there shouldn’t be any problem.

Hope this helps.

or you can watch this guy transform his:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RISrZC6ZGeU&NR