Wave High advancd Model 1/5000 DYRL SDF-1 Diecast!

xstoys

oh crap now i'm worried about transforming it... kept in the box and i'm going to wait for Graham's step by step transformation if he will post any.

Be adventurous :p

It's not rocket science. I transformed mine in around 5 minutes. The only confusing part for me was how to unlock the hips :unsure: but with a bit of brute force and ignorance ;) all was well.

Must admit it's a bit disappointing :( So small. It marvellous what good photography can make something look like :o

Not that adventerous enough to risk 100+ =( at the moment. I have a few toys that are MIA somewhere within the EMS system :angry: I hope the seller can locate it *sigh*

Be adventurous :p

It's not rocket science. I transformed mine in around 5 minutes. The only confusing part for me was how to unlock the hips :unsure: but with a bit of brute force and ignorance ;) all was well.

Must admit it's a bit disappointing :( So small. It marvellous what good photography can make something look like :o

:D Just go the package; it reminds me of the smaller taka non transformable version. That was one of my favorite macross toy sizes and might I say the second in my childhood collection for macross toys.( :( broke it though when I was a kid)

overall it is pretty solid. We have been spoiled by yamato's sizes but the details on this macross is kwel.

:lol::D^_^

kwel

Edited by indigofx28

Wasn't planning to buy this, but end up finding one on ebay at a decent price.

Nice details and paint (even though mine has a couple paint hiccup spots), while not bad diecast content actually. Part of the center torso block is also diecast, not just the legs. And while its small compare to bigger Macross toys, the size itself is not that bad. Kind of like the early SOCs with a super tall shoulder/back towers. Joints in general are sturdy and tight, but a bit inconsistent. Like its tight on one hip swivel, but a little loose on the other side. And since there is no screw holes, I guess there is no way I can fix minor things like that. Elbows and shoulder mechanism is extremely fragile! Handle with great care, or the pegs will snap off for sure.

Overall, kind of feel like the earlier 1/60 Yamato VF-1, which looks good, has some weight, bit a little fiddly, with an occasional loose joint or two. Hard to hold the thing in cruiser mode without moving some parts out of place unintensionally. Almost wish that they might as well take out all the joints on the legs, just to have a sturdier thing to hold. But not bad enough that its floppy. Most joints are tight. Parts don't lock tight in transformation with pegs like u see in Takara transforming stuff, but there is some good design that help parts sit nicely in place that don't move around. The hip ratchet is strange, doesn't let the legs to stand straight, but spread out. As if the increments in the ratchet are too big. So while its pretty good, and a great looking piece (the display stand is great), you do feel like there is a lot of room for improvement in terms of execution.

A good toy, but not great.

Nice details and paint (even though mine has a couple paint hiccup spots), while not bad diecast content actually. Part of the center torso block is also diecast, not just the legs. And while its small compare to bigger Macross toys, the size itself is not that bad. Kind of like the early SOCs with a super tall shoulder/back towers. Joints in general are sturdy and tight, but a bit inconsistent. Like its tight on one hip swivel, but a little loose on the other side. And since there is no screw holes, I guess there is no way I can fix minor things like that. Elbows and shoulder mechanism is extremely fragile! Handle with great care, or the pegs will snap off for sure.

Overall, kind of feel like the earlier 1/60 Yamato VF-1, which looks good, has some weight, bit a little fiddly, with an occasional loose joint or two. Hard to hold the thing in cruiser mode without moving some parts out of place unintensionally. Almost wish that they might as well take out all the joints on the legs, just to have a sturdier thing to hold. But not bad enough that its floppy. Most joints are tight. Parts don't lock tight in transformation with pegs like u see in Takara transforming stuff, but there is some good design that help parts sit nicely in place that don't move around. The hip ratchet is strange, doesn't let the legs to stand straight, but spread out. As if the increments in the ratchet are too big. So while its pretty good, and a great looking piece (the display stand is great), you do feel like there is a lot of room for improvement in terms of execution.

Finally, someone posts a review. Thanks man.

Great review, I like constructive criticism!!! Very balanced ;)

I had been following this thread daily up until the release date of the Wave SDF-1. I kept wringing my hands over the size and price every time I saw a new picture of the thing I just did not know if I should cancel my pre-order. I pre-ordered my Wave SDF-1 when I ordered my 1-60 YF-19 and now that I have both I am glad I did not cancel my order.

I must qualify my satisfaction by making a couple observations about its comparative size and display options. Although the size is smaller than what I had hoped far, the height of the figure is offset when it is placed on its stand. Once upon the display stand the height of the SDF-1 cannons are ~11 & 1/8th inches tall making it taller than a 1-48 VF-1. The figure shows it diminutive size is when it is displayed in “cruiser mode.â€

I got the Wave SDF-1 because it was a pre-built pre-painted non-aftermarket item and it worked well in my display area. If I took the time to build a 1/4000 scale resin kit it would not look as good as Waves. If I got a matchbox 1/3000 scale SDF-1 (TV version) it would be too tall for my shelves. I have followed matchbox SDF-1 auctions over the years and many of them were damaged, yellowed, or over priced. If I were to display the 1/3000 scale SDF-1 I would have to place the shoulder cannons in the lowered position which is not my preferred option.

Since I display my Macross items according to series I think if I already had a 1/3000 scale matchbox SDF-1 I would still get the Wave version to go with my DYRL stuff.

For those of you who buy three valks just so you can display all 3 modes at one time, the cost of this item is not excessive. If you compare $120-$150 for the Wave SDF-1 to what it would cost to buy and complete a resin version of the SDF-1 anything under $150 is a steal.

In short, until Yamato gives us a better version this is the only game in town if you do not have professional model making skill or you don’t want a “toyish†looking SDF-1.

Edited by rdenham

I had been following this thread daily up until the release date of the Wave SDF-1. I kept wringing my hands over the size and price every time I saw a new picture of the thing I just did not know if I should cancel my pre-order. I pre-ordered my Wave SDF-1 when I ordered my 1-60 YF-19 and now that I have both I am glad I did not cancel my order.

I must qualify my satisfaction by making a couple observations about its comparative size and display options. Although the size is smaller than what I had hoped far, the height of the figure is offset when it is placed on its stand. Once upon the display stand the height of the SDF-1 cannons are ~11 & 1/8th inches tall making it taller than a 1-48 VF-1. The figure shows it diminutive size is when it is displayed in “cruiser mode.â€

I got the Wave SDF-1 because it was a pre-built pre-painted non-aftermarket item and it worked well in my display area. If I took the time to build a 1/4000 scale resin kit it would not look as good as Waves. If I got a matchbox 1/3000 scale SDF-1 (TV version) it would be too tall for my shelves. I have followed matchbox SDF-1 auctions over the years and many of them were damaged, yellowed, or over priced. If I were to display the 1/3000 scale SDF-1 I would have to place the shoulder cannons in the lowered position which is not my preferred option.

Since I display my Macross items according to series I think if I already had a 1/3000 scale matchbox SDF-1 I would still get the Wave version to go with my DYRL stuff.

For those of you who buy three valks just so you can display all 3 modes at one time, the cost of this item is not excessive. If you compare $120-$150 for the Wave SDF-1 to what it would cost to buy and complete a resin version of the SDF-1 anything under $150 is a steal.

In short, until Yamato gives us a better version this is the only game in town if you do not have professional model making skill or you don’t want a “toyish†looking SDF-1.

Haha. Your SDF-1 is especially short in your pic (mainly because you have not extend the legs, though the towers should be pushed back, so there you lose half an inch on height) :lol:

Well, all the other SDF-1 I see on Ebay are much more expensive than that...

I haven't been checking eBay but Graham told us it was retailing for about $100US in the greater Asia area, shipping should be about $20 from what I understand via EMS so $129 seems to be about MSRP.

Greeting MWF,

Newbie here. Can anyone confirm where the SDF-1 is made from? Made in China? Any other major QC/flaw issue apart having fragile elbow & shoulder?

Cheers,

Just In

The common one is in cruiser mode, the two towers don't lock well together and easily split back apart. But can be easily fixed by thickening their connection peg on each side with a tiny bit of super glue. Other than that, not much else. The other occasional loose joints are case by case, due to Wave not being super consistant on the assembly. But nothing major or parts very floppy.

Edited by mpchi

Thanks mpchi,

Is it made in China? Stated anyway on the box? Or there is different variant like hongkong version, Japan version? or am i just thinking too much :)

Cheers,

Just In

Oh. Pretty sure its made in China. And don't think there is a HK or variant version I know of. Wave is not big like Bandai to have different versions in different countries.

just took out mine SDF-1, one question abt the shoulders, u can't really rotate it , can't u ?

I have to pull out the two shoulders , rotate it , then fix them in the process of tranforming it to "battroid" mode

wave should made it to a ball joint to allow more poseablility

• 2 weeks later...

Transformation of WAVE's SDF-1 Macross on youtube... Anyone from on here??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RISrZC6ZGeU&NR

I think I know who. But I'm not sure!

So. . . I think that video sold me. I'm going to be picking one of these up.

I'm heading to Japan in May. I assume they'll still be around then.

H

Transformation of WAVE's SDF-1 Macross on youtube... Anyone from on here??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RISrZC6ZGeU&NR

That would actually be me (lurking for many years). I write for CollectionDX and the video I shot before the review was done, I am very surprised you folks have actually found it. Anyway you all can see the full finished write up at Collection DX review

Enjoy. B))

Edited by Atomski