1/48 Valks vs Matchbox BattlePods?

Coedes

hi i'm new to this forum...hailing from Singapore.

i just got my low-viz recently...it's retailing at about S$175-190 here..which is about US100-110?

anyway...it was my first 1/48..and yes..nuffsaid.

i immediately dug out my Robotech Battlepod and Officer's Battlepod from the Playmate's exo-squad line to pose with the low-viz..i'm not too sure about the scale..seems right to me..or maybe the pod could be a bit bigger?

anyone else here has done the same? or has some pics to show?

if i could lay my hands on 1 or 2 more battlepods (ok ok...REGULTS)..could do up an urban diorama..

hi i'm new to this forum...hailing from Singapore.

i just got my low-viz recently...it's retailing at about S$175-190 here..which is about US100-110?

anyway...it was my first 1/48..and yes..nuffsaid.

i immediately dug out my Robotech Battlepod and Officer's Battlepod from the Playmate's exo-squad line to pose with the low-viz..i'm not too sure about the scale..seems right to me..or maybe the pod could be a bit bigger?

anyone else here has done the same? or has some pics to show?

if i could lay my hands on 1 or 2 more battlepods (ok ok...REGULTS)..could do up an urban diorama..

Not to burst your bubble, but those Matchbox toys might be better suited attacking your 1/60 Valks, if you have any. They were designed for 3 3/4" (Zentradi) figures, and even then they probably aren't to scale. They're a bit small for the 1/48.

Edited by Draykov

Not to burst your bubble, but those Matchbox toys might be better suited attacking your 1/60 Valks, if you have any.  They were designed for 3 3/4" (Zentradi) figures, and even then they probably aren't to scale.  They're a bit small for the 1/48.

yeah that's what i thought... the pods are slightly small..

but no way would they be better with the 1/60s...the 1/60s are way too small...

i know the pods were designed for the 3/34 figs..but that's wrong too..cos in the actual show..u see the giant zentraedi squeezing their huge bodies into almost the entire upper cavity of the pod.

in anycase..size wise, according to source materials...the pods are about 2-3m higher than the battroids..so if u go by that spec..the 1/48s come the closest... hey if u have the stuff..give it a try..it doesn't look too bad.

Pod

Unit type: one-man tactical pod

Manufacturer: Esbeliben

Overall height: 15.12 meters

VF-1A

Battroid mode:

Overall height: 12.68 meters

zentraedi_pods_9_large.jpg

Edited by Coedes

Kanata67 posted a thread here and in the old forums listing the heights for the various Matchbox mecha toys including battlepods, destroids, and Zentradi powered armor. Although the measuring points are a bit ambiguous (and how should you pose the legs on a battlepod when taking height measurements?), we came to the conclusion that the Glaug officer's pod was a smaller scale than the Regult tactical battle pod. Glaug was about 1/60-1/65, while the Regult was about 1/55.

I don't have a Regult (yet) but I think the Glaug looks pretty good facing off a 1/60 Valkyrie. If we're right about the Regult, its closest scale match is obviously the 1/55 Takatoku/Bandai Valks (and bootlegs thereof).

BUT for photo-dioramas, you can play around with scale and forced perspective.

Edit: I've been thinking about this, so I'll throw out a couple of ideas. In a photo, our main cues for distance and scale are (1) relative size (2) perspective (objects shrink and appear closer to the center of view the farther away they are) (3) focus.

Item (3) is often forgotten. When you focus on closeup objects, you generally have a narrow depth of field--only the object you're focusing on, and objects near it, are in focus. When you focus on faraway objects, depth of field is greater, so everything is in focus. From a practical point of view, this means you may get better results by putting the camera farther away and using a zoom lens.

But this introduces a second complication: when you zoom from far away, you "flatten" the perspective, reducing the effect of objects "shrinking" as they are farther way. So to correct for this, you probably should use larger scale models for the near objects and/or you should place the far objects much farther away than you want them to appear to be. Ideally, you might even have a "continuously distorted" background for the streets and buildings, but that may not be necessary.

Edited by ewilen

Let's just put it this way, the pilot of the battle pods are as big as the valkyrie in battloid mode according to the cartoons and the movie. So the battle pods and other enemy vehicles would be fairly bigger than the valks itself, maybe even double the size! :p:D:lol:

Great pictures! Take a look at this drawing from Macross Perfect Memory, page 162.

Compared to the Regult, I'd say the 1/55 is teeny bit big and the 1/60 is a little small, but the 1/55 is closer. I still suspect the Glaug is closer to 1/60 but it'd be good to see it side by side with the Regult. The drawing shows that most of the height difference is the dorsal gun.

Edited by ewilen

hey thanks for the pic with all mechs lined up together!..ya..pretty clear that a zentraedi is much smaller than the valk..yet i remember the episode where Breetai was fighting hand-to-hand with the Battroids and he was almost equal size!!

guess the zentraedi and macross universe also have the same size-fluctuations found in the Transformers world (tho not so extreme la..:)..)

anyway, yap..after trying out the 1/60....agreed...tho it's still a bit small..1/48 is slightly big..aiya...all will be resolved once yamato gets round to releasing the 1/60 enemy mechs!!

think they will definitely release the enemy mechs in 1/60 versions to revive the flagging interest in their 1/60 valks...

makes good business sense...

Britai was bigger than the average Zentradi though, wasn't he?

Comparable to someone 7 ft 6 in vs an average of 5 ft whatever in. It would translate to several more feet for Britai over a regular Joe Zentradi.

I always thought a regular Zentradi came up to about mid chest level on a valk, so the guy in the group shot does look a little small to me, though.

Given proper proportions, new 1/60 Regults and Glaugs from Yamato would be pretty huge, too by comparison. The scale of the matchbox ones always looked kind of off.

Edited by Anubis

also in the movie, the part where roy get's killed by one of the zentraedi and he seems to be the same size as the skull valk. I believe the valks were made in proportion to fight against the zentraedi.

Another size comparison can be found here:

http://www.merzo.net/robotech/mechasizes.htm

But they don't agree entirely with what's given in http://macross.anime.net . The Glaug is too big at 18.1 m overall versus the official stat of 16.55 m; the Regult is shown as 17.4 m while the Compendium lists 15.12 m. The N-Ger is also exaggerated slighly but not by very much.

(It's a Robotech-inspired and/or sanctioned and/or commissioned site, which may explain somewhat. However, the site does elsewhere include the DRYL version of Bodolza's ship and a couple of Marduk ships from Macross II.)

Edited by ewilen

Guess not...

01.JPG

08.JPG

points for effort :lol::lol::lol:

I would recommend getting one MicronianDevil, not that I'm bias or anything :rolleyes:

Yeah... they are an ambiguous scale...

yeah... they lack detail...

yeah... they have a misproportioned cockpit...

They are still the biggest marauder I have found so far :rolleyes:

I bet one of the robecrap I-men valks would fit... as if anybody around here would waste money on such a piece of... oh yeah... I'll post a pic of that later :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
also in the movie, the part where roy get's killed by one of the zentraedi and he seems to be the same size as the skull valk. I believe the valks were made in proportion to fight against the zentraedi.

It has always been the case that the average Zentraedi is shorter than a valk in Battroid mode. I don't remember where I first read this. . . but when I saw this thread, I had that feeling of "What a silly question! Of course Valks are bigger!" :)

I remember learning it as a kid because I remember thinking: "Hmmm, I thought they were the same size, but I guess it makes sense that --if you were going to design something to fight giants-- you'd want to make the design bigger than the giants! :)

Dumb question: Who is it that kills Roy in DYRL? I still have a hard time keeping the Zentraedi straight in DYRL as opposed to their more easily recognized SDF Macross counterparts.

H

this is the only "valk" I could find that would fit in the cockpit :lol:

Hikaru: "OMG! We've been fighting SD versions of ourselves this whole time?!"

Roy: "-Hic!- Nah! it looks like a one-off type deal! -Hic!-"

ewilen, this is slightly off topic, but I was looking at the size comparison pic you posted in the previous page. The -1J has a different gunpod. I know I've seen it before so it's not the GU-11, but what is it? A GU-12 or something?

it's a 1/60 valk, so it's using the 1/60 GU-11 gunpod.

No, he's talking about the scan from Macross Perfect Memory. Many of the Valkyrie sketches contained therein show different kinds of gunpods. Since I can't read Japanese (other than sounding out katakana, which will only get you so far), I can only guess that they're early versions of Kawamori's final design. Some of the other versions look kind of like Tommy guns. I doubt any of them are supposed to be canonical, but if you'd like you could consider them prototypes.

Dumb question:  Who is it that kills Roy in DYRL?  I still have a hard time keeping the Zentraedi straight in DYRL as opposed to their more easily recognized SDF Macross counterparts.

Kwamzin/Kamujin/Khyron. As with Rolli, Warera, and Konda (Bron/Rico/Konda), his role is so small and and his appearance so different from SDF Macross that the only way you could really recognize him without a program is by his voice.

Edit: fixed the Zentradi names.

Edited by ewilen