The PlayStation 3 Thread!

Apollo Leader

They "forced" you to buy a DVD player with the PS2. And honestly...you don't need to buy a PS3 if it bothers you that much.

The space will be needed later. Just because they don't need it now doesn't mean they never will. Resistance is somewhere at 18 Gigs (mostly due to audio). Sure they might be wasting the space...but I'd rather have them include more or better saples of audio/music than not have it.

The PS2 also wasn't 6 bills.

And I don't know what games you've been playing but poor sound quality is the least of the problems most games have.

Again, I will use the pc analogy. There are games out there that are huge, and have 5.1 dolby digital scores and sounds AND download patches daily. Guess what? They still don't break the 8 gigs of a dual layer. Also, the way the are integrating the internet and hard drives into all of these systems, nothing is stopping them from being able to download content. The original X-Box did it. Nothing stopping companies from adding it now with systems that supposrt it a hell of a lot more.

Sorry that my intent to keep some sane amount of money in my wallet lets me see the nonsense that Sony is pushing. But I guess I shouldn't buy one since it does bother me so much and God forbid I should speak out against the masses of MW or otherwise.

Edited by Chewie

The $600 only has 1 HDMI port per Sony's site. That was one of the things they dropped from E3 06.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/specs.html

And they returned it to the 20 GB version along with a new $430 price tag in Japan. Expect the HDMI in the US on the 20 GB one...price drop may happen but prob not.

Edited by Gaijin

And I don't know what games you've been playing but poor sound quality is the least of the problems most games have.

Again, I will use the pc analogy. There are games out there that are huge, and have 5.1 dolby digital scores and sounds AND download patches daily. Guess what? They still don't break the 8 gigs of a dual layer. Also, the way the are integrating the internet and hard drives into all of these systems, nothing is stopping them from being able to download content. The original X-Box did it. Nothing stopping companies from adding it now with systems that supposrt it a hell of a lot more.

Sorry that my intent to keep some sane amount of money in my wallet lets me see the nonsense that Sony is pushing. But I guess I shouldn't buy one since it does bother me so much and God forbid I should speak out against the masses of MW or otherwise.

I think the masses of MW are with you in that instance.

Ps3 isn't $600 either since you just told me you don't want any extras and prefer choices. So there you go, $499, You can now choose when or if on upgrading to Wifi, bigger harddrive,, different card readers, etc.

In Macross Toy wording this is what you just said in your 2 previous posts.

You: Yamato is doing nothing but forcing us to buy a 1/48 Super Stealth. It's bs. I don't want Fastpacks but I want to a 1/48 VF-1j Stealth. At least give me an option.

Someone: They "forced" you to buy a Super VF-1j with their older 1/60 line. And honestly...you don't need to buy a new 1/48 Super Stealth if it bothers you that much.

You: The 1/60 Super VF-1j also wasn't $190

Me: The 1/48 VF-1J Steath isn't $190 either since you just told me you don't want the extras and perfer choices. So there you go, $135, you can now choose when or if on buying the 1/48 Stealth Fastpack set later on.

Well you get what I mean. If you hate it that much then just don't get it. But if you are complaining about the price make sure you are complaining about the correct price, the price of the system that you are talking about getting and not the higher end model that you already said you dont' want those options/extra forced on you. :)

This is not really directed at you, it's just ended up being a example,, you know with all those Yamato toys poping up left and right. It's like most of the people on this board for some reason is extreme bias on the Sony Ps3. Some of your guys are treating it like the Robotech of Macross which is pretty unfair for a company that made 2 great Consoles in 2 gen which both got the most unit sold and have the most games.

Please open your eyes a bit more so you can view both the ups and downs of the soon to be release systems, Wii and Ps3. :)

Edited by F360°

F360, you're wrong! Wrong I say! We ARE forced to buy things! I don't know about you -

*starts whispering*

- but here at my house, there's people with guns who are always watching me, and I don't know who or what they are! They make me buy things I don't want to buy! They hurt me if I try to hide my wallet! They won't let me stop playing video games and - oh sh--T! They're coming, I have to go!

[GutsAndCasca signs off]

Okay I'm back. Anyway, I think common sense would dictate that any next-gen system should be able to carry more information on the game discs. Maybe games fit great on a dvd NOW, but in a few years games could get so big that the extra space could be absolutely necessary, unless you really enjoy having a multi-dvd game. I prefer just one, though. And I am God and am always right.

(jk)

:)

Okay I'm back. Anyway, I think common sense would dictate that any next-gen system should be able to carry more information on the game discs. Maybe games fit great on a dvd NOW, but in a few years games could get so big that the extra space could be absolutely necessary, unless you really enjoy having a multi-dvd game. I prefer just one, though.

Most PS2 games fit on a SINGLE-LAYER DVD. Those that don't(all... three of them?) fit on two single-layer DVDs(or 1 dual-layer DVD if the game industry would embrace that paradigm). Some are still on CD-ROM(Gradius V was the last I noticed).

And all but Final Fantasy Online use largely uncompressed data so they can run off the disk.

The fact that the PS3 has a hard drive games can decompress data too helps immensely.

As has been pointed out, there's basically no PC game that fills a DVD, despite being expected to run at HD resolutions for several years now. And that's because they ship heavily compressed and install to a hard drive.

Some XBox 1 games do this as well. Ninja Gaiden, for example. MS really screwed up by not making the HDD mandatory for the 360.

BluRay just isn't needed for games.

CD was good for two generations, DVD should be adequate for a similar period.

The PC game industry needs to get off their asses and move to DVD as a system requirement instead of making it a limited special edition gimmick.

The PC game industry needs to get off their asses and move to DVD as a system requirement instead of making it a limited special edition gimmick.

I second that. Who doesn't have a DVD drive on their PC these days? If your computer is up-to-date enough to play any modern game, it's pretty safe to assume that it has a DVD drive.

For some reason that doesn’t sound right :blink: ;;

To me it sound like

At SONY buffet restaurant

Sony executive#1 say to #2, hey we can charge customers $5 for this small plate and that plate will fill them up.

#2, says, I got a better idea, whey don’t we charge customers a cover price of $10 just to come to our restaurant (cause we are Sony) and then charge them another $10 for this bigger blue plate which they can fill up as much food as they want, but we know that they only will fill up about $5 of food instead. ..

We are going to make so much money!! And later on, we will charge for each piece of food they “downloadâ€.

For some reason that doesn’t sound right :blink: ;;

To me it sound like

At SONY buffet restaurant

Sony executive#1 say to #2, hey we can charge customers $5 for this small plate and that plate will fill them up.

#2, says, I got a better idea, whey don’t we charge customers a cover price of $10 just to come to our restaurant (cause we are Sony) and then charge them another $10 for this bigger blue plate which they can fill up as much food as they want, but we know that they only will fill up about $5 of food instead. ..

We are going to make so much money!! And later on, we will charge for each piece of food they “downloadâ€.

You've got a point. I'd argue with exec #2 if I was exec #1 about everything except charging them more for the blue plate. If I was a customer I'd rather pay the extra 5 bucks for the blue plate just in case, rather than pay 5 bucks for a regular plate. I eat like a pig at buffets.

But in regards to the PS3... I'd rather pay 300 bucks for a non-blu ray playing system than 600 for a blu-ray system. Then again, maybe after a long while I'd wish I'd have bought the blu-ray one. ^_^

Edit/Add: This whole new concept of paying to download stuff for games really pisses me off. Are they not making enough money already?

Edited by GutsAndCasca

Edit/Add: This whole new concept of paying to download stuff for games really pisses me off. Are they not making enough money already?

LOL! I agree with you there, however to all those rich people, there is never enough money for them :blink:

As the Gran Tourismo series is one of the chief reasons I bought a PS2, and was planning on buying a PS3 I am getting a bit wary.

In my opinion the GT series, while still great, has gone a bit downhill since GT2 (although GT4 is close). If they expect me to pay REAL money for cars and tracks, I will just skip the console altogether. That is just a deal-breaker for me.

A great GT5 = I'll break down and buy one.

A pay as you play GT5 = I'll go for an XBOX or just upgrade my PC.

A GT HD shot:

2566_large_gthd.jpg

Some box art for the 60GB version. The 20 is basically the same though with a "20" instead of 60 in place.

HDMI confirmed on the 20GB model in the US. Now the only thing separating the 2 SKUS are the HD size, the media card slots, and Wi-Fi.

tgsk_07.jpg

sc03-06.jpg

New 6 minute trailer of MGS4 showing gameplay at TGS from various places, sorry no link.

Racing games are so much fun to watch when they're pushing new hardware. It's so easy to get the most out of them graphically, since there's so much opportunity to cheat. All you need to model is the car, the track, and the immeadiate surroundings. Even then, things race by so fast, you can cheat with those. But unless you're looking for them, you don't see the cuts, and the results are gorgeous.

It helps that the one thing you do see constantly, your car, took...what did they say? Six months to model? No wonder the cars will be so expensive. Expect more of that, if developers are going to take advantage of the PS3 hardware.

Heh, cute. I'm still watching the videos and in the comparison between the first game, and GT4, they use the track and dashboard only view, the minimalistic view you'd see in both games. Then comparing those to the new game, they use the cinematic view you'd never use when actually playing.

Can't wait. I won't preorder or stand in line, so will probably get one a month or two after release, but definitely going to be getting a 60GB.

I hope they offer the batarang controller as an option. I don't like the ergonomics of the DS2, especially compared to the 360 controller, but the batarang looks like it'd be at least as comfy as the 360 controller (maybe with some shorter handles).

Unfortunately the rampant gamer phobia of any sort of controller change has cemented the fact that Sony will do as little as possible to change their controller.

Uh, what gamer phobia would that be? A phobia of decent controllers? No gamer in his right mind is going to support the Dual Shock design over a newer, more progressive design like the Xbox's. The problem with the boomerang wasn't the fact that it looked goofy, the problem was that the buttons and thumb sticks were still in the same stupid places as they were in the original dual shock.

The DS' buttons are shallow and don't feel very good. The d-pad is garbage for any movement-intensive game. The shoulder buttons are shallow and there are no triggers. The thumb sticks are close to each other and cause your thumbs to bump into each other in FPS games.

It isn't the gamer's fault the new controller for the PS3 sucks, it's Sony's fault for being so pig-headed and full of themselves they think they still knwo what gamers want.

Whenever a controller design comes out that appears even slightly different from what the majority of gamers are used to, most gamers will get all up in arms about it.

Are you seriously forgetting the debut of the SNES pad, and the "it's got to many buttons!" cry that stirred up? The N64 pad has it's faults, but not nearly so much as many would have you believe. What about the Gamecube controller? Sure, once we got it in our hands we could tell the materials were cheap, but as for the design itself, many people still insist the button layout won't work for fighting games, and other such nonsense.

It's lead right up to this generation, with the Wii controller. Sure, that's died down since it has been recieving almost universal praise from every gamer info source, but the kneejerk reaction was one of "that can't possibly work", and you still have many people insisting it's the powerglove part 2.

Then there's the boomerang. So, they took the Dual Shock design and made it more ergonomic. This garnered much derision and outrage from the gaming community. So what did they do? They're releasing a controller that is much more close to the DS design that you've stated as being so flawed. Now people are thankful! Gamers are thankful that Sony has changed their mind on the one thing they had changed.

Gamers are happy with the new PS3 controller, that right there throws out your idea that most gamers hated that the Boomerang remained so close to the flawed layout of the previous controllers. Have they changed the layout with the most recent PS3 controller design? Not that I've seen. Looks like a wireless Dual Shock to me.

Edited by Radd

It isn't the gamer's fault the new controller for the PS3 sucks, it's Sony's fault for being so pig-headed and full of themselves they think they still knwo what gamers want.

Funny since the true majority loves the dual-shock. I've never had an issue with it, neither have a LOT of people I know.

Sony (aside from the clear mistakes with the PS3) is doing what they know is right. If it ain't broke, don't fix.

Funny since the true majority loves the dual-shock. I've never had an issue with it, neither have a LOT of people I know.

Sony (aside from the clear mistakes with the PS3) is doing what they know is right. If it ain't broke, don't fix.

The majority loved the 2600 stick and NES pad too.

Are you going to tell me they aren't hideous hand-crippling nightmares?

The DualShock is crap. There is no sense to the design, and the only reason it reigns today is that a bunch of twits that got started on the PlayStation refuse to accept change.

I was trying to say there is nothing wrong with the dual shock. I like it. I like it more than ANY of the recent controllers out.

As for the NES and the 2600 controllers....well, I don't play those long enough to get hand cramps and when I did play them that long, I was 11 years old.

I was trying to say that Sony knows what sells and what the people with the loudest voices wanted. Nothing to change. They have sold a billion Playstations ranging from the 1 to the 2. (not real numbers but we all know it's in the high millions) They aren't stupid in that aspect.

Be happy they didn't go out and pull soehting out of their asses for it.

Edited by Chewie

Move the shoulder buttons (more on the rear than top) and the DS would be my fave of the more recent controllers. Original Saturn is still #1. I hate the GC for playing any "Non-3D exploration" game. It's perfect for Zelda and Metroid, but will wholeheartedly agree with it sucking for fighters.

360's would be nice if the D-pad wasn't the worst in 10 years, response-wise. (And still not all that fond of the shoulder button placement--actually liked the original XB pad's shoulder and black/white location best, it's only real flaw was hugeness). I still have to perform the 360 D-pad fix, may do it this week. As soon as I buy the driver bit to open the thing up...

Personally, I think the controller should fit the game. Arcade sticks for fighters, flight sticks for flying sims and the like, something like the keyboard and mouse arrangement for FPS games, and so far something like the Gamecube pad for most everything else (but please, better parts, better construction!)

Personally, I love the Gamecube pad's button arragement. The large centre button and the three uniquely shaped buttons around it. Thumb always knows right where it is. Give it just one more shoulder button/trigger and it'll be at least as good at Fighting games as the Dual Shock. Better, even, due to the button layout.

But I agree, the Dual Shock should have been replaced a generation ago. People cling to it because it's what they know, and they fear change. Unfortunately, to force change, companies need to go against what gamers want 'right now', and provide them with something that will prove itself once the gamers have it in their reluctant hands. Then gamers will act in exactly the same manner when something comes along to replace that, which at the time they will consider the pinnacle.

The majority loved the 2600 stick and NES pad too.

Are you going to tell me they aren't hideous hand-crippling nightmares?

The DualShock is crap. There is no sense to the design, and the only reason it reigns today is that a bunch of twits that got started on the PlayStation refuse to accept change.

Save the anti-Sony fanboy garbage. The Dual shock isn't crap, the D-pad is. Sans the D-pad, the design makes sense. Moreso than the Gamecube or N64 controller. Still doesn't beat the Saturn 6 button though. Sony does need a new gamepad design though. Its been almost 10 years. But since most of the first PS3 games are going to be sequels of tired franchises, I guess they didn't feel the need to change.

Unless I missed something, TGS gets a big meh. Nothing there made me want to spend any money on the next gen. I'll stick with Metal Slug anthology for the PSP lol

Edited by dejr8bud