The Nintendo Wii Thread!!

Apollo Leader

I remember Nintendo made an announcement once upon a time that they wouldn't be pursuing ROM distributors of their Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games nearly as much as their competitors seemed to be.

*laughs*

Nintendo is one of the loudest anti-piracy people.

They'll claim game copiers are illegal(even before the DMCA made them so), emulators are illegal, there's no legitimate use for either besides piracy, downloads of the arcade Donkey Kong hurt sales of Donkey Kong 64 and Super Mario Sunshine(OMG IT AM TEH SAEM CHARACTERERER), etc.

Hell, they sued Lik-Sang for selling GBA flash carts. AFTER they bought a truck load for use in dev kits.

That's why LK no longer carries mod chips, flash carts, or anything of the like.

Their logic was that their portable games were cool because they were portable and that would keep people buying them regardless of the ROM community.

That may've been what they said, but it isn't what they think.

For those wondering what else Console makers could come up with besides 360 faceplates....check out the Wii "controller gloves" & "dog tags".

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/07/wii-ret...up-and-endcaps/

The gloves I sorta understand since I predict a lot of lil kids will wind up flying the Wii remote across the room by accident but...the dog tags :D

Edited by Gaijin

Well Nintendo bought me out.

Thier customer service is very friendly and great.

Going to get my DS lite replaced due to product damage.

I didn't bother reading the last few pages but I heard something of using the DS communicating with the Wii vice versa. One example would be Zelda: Four Swords with the GBA GC, but I think it would go further than that.

I'm definitely going to try and get one whenever I got the money.

Twilight Princess and Brawl is a must, last Zelda game that I played was Ocarina of Time and that was one of the greatest game I have ever played, hoping Twilight Princess won't kill it for me in terms of usage of the controller and store won't ruin it for me.

Brawl is basicly the same reason why everyone else loves it.

mikeszekely I hate to ask but why did you leave Gamestop?

mikeszekely I hate to ask but why did you leave Gamestop

Because the company is run by idiots, and even though I spent three weeks as acting store manager, they weren't going to actually give me the store.

Well Nintendo bought me out.

Thier customer service is very friendly and great.

Going to get my DS lite replaced due to product damage.

My only dealing with them was asking about getting a Virtual Boy realligned. Was at the end of the system, when they were 30$ or less everywhere you looked.

I was actually surprised when they said upfront that "We can do it, but it's honestly cheaper to buy a new one right now." Didn't try to screw around with me(any attempt would have failed, since I knew what the VB was going for in stores, but they could've tried), didn't even just tell me what a reallignment would cost and let me do the math myself. Just came out and said that they could, but it wasn't in my best interests.

Earned them major points here.

I'm pretty damn excited about the Wii but I don't have any plans to purchase one until they release a black version (same thing I did for the Lite).

Whilst I'm not thrilled that it doesn't support High Def I am excited about the Virtual Console thing. there aren't even many launch or upcoming titles that have really grabbed me... I just want to play old games :D

oh yeah and the $250 price tag is pretty killer too.

I'm pretty damn excited about the Wii but I don't have any plans to purchase one until they release a black version (same thing I did for the Lite).

Whilst I'm not thrilled that it doesn't support High Def I am excited about the Virtual Console thing. there aren't even many launch or upcoming titles that have really grabbed me... I just want to play old games :D

oh yeah and the $250 price tag is pretty killer too.

Funny you mention that because I too would rather have the Wii in black (and the PS3 in a gloss white) for some reason.

whoa, this thing is gonna be released on a sunday? and two days after the PS3 drops? that's gonna be an expensive weekend! :blink::D:p:lol:

whoa, this thing is gonna be released on a sunday? and two days after the PS3 drops? that's gonna be an expensive weekend! :blink::D:p:lol:

Nintendo likes Sunday. Both the DS and the DS Lite were released on Sundays.

I think I kinda prefer the Wii in black... but I am in the process of switching to Mac, so lately I've been kinda digging white, too.

I haven't seen the ports for the system for the GC controllers...does it look like they'll take the Wavebird recievers? If so, I'd use the wavebirds I have for the spare GC controls.

I was given to understand that there's a door somewhere on the system, and inside where GC controller ports and the slots for the memory cards. I'm just praying that the ports aren't too deeply set or the door doesn't get in the way, because I too want to plug a Wavebird into it.

Back to the issue of Wii memory, I was told by one of the guys I know at the local Gamestop I frequent that the Wii has 1 GB of internal flash memory.

But there's over 5GB of N64 titles alone, and maybe another gig for all the NES, SNES, Genesis, and TG16 games.

I think my original line of thinking was probably correct. Like XBLA, if you buy something and delete it, you can redownload it from your history.

Back to the issue of Wii memory, I was told by one of the guys I know at the local Gamestop I frequent that the Wii has 1 GB of internal flash memory.

I still don't see that verified, not even rumored anywhere. I have no Nintendo people to talk to, so I can't verify it either. So far, I can only go on the published specs and they all point to 512MB flash memory with the SD card slot doing duty if you need more.

I still don't see that verified, not even rumored anywhere. I have no Nintendo people to talk to, so I can't verify it either. So far, I can only go on the published specs and they all point to 512MB flash memory with the SD card slot doing duty if you need more.

Whaaaaaat, you don't consider Gamestop employees a valid source? :wacko:

512 isn't much, but when dealing with older games I suppose it'll be okay. But if the Virtual Console gets TG16 or Sega CD games, that space won't go too far.

But there's over 5GB of N64 titles alone, and maybe another gig for all the NES, SNES, Genesis, and TG16 games.

How did you come up with the numbers? It's hard to believe that the libraries for each of those systems could fit onto one DVD (maybe TG16).

But regardless of whether the Wii has a 1GB or just a 512MB flash drive, it would be a good idea to buy one or more additional memeroy cards.

I confirm that the Wavebird reciever fits perfectly into the Wii, the GC ports are not deep in at all, it's almost on the surface of the unit. the cover just covers the ports and menory ports.

This is in the standing position, if you lay it down, the side with the wave bird reciever plug in is slightly higher than the other side.

About the memory, it's still 512MB unless Nintendo changes it last minute.

I was given to understand that there's a door somewhere on the system, and inside where GC controller ports and the slots for the memory cards. I'm just praying that the ports aren't too deeply set or the door doesn't get in the way, because I too want to plug a Wavebird into it.

I think my original line of thinking was probably correct. Like XBLA, if you buy something and delete it, you can redownload it from your history.

Edited by Gunbuster

Hmm...

Will this sell out as fast as the PS3 preoders within the first 10 minutes the store opens?

Why does it say they have limited supply though?

I thought the Wii was going to have a large shipment to the U.S.

Even with over a million at launch, it's paltry for a launch at Christmas. The holiday buying along with the newness will drain supplies faster than you'd think. Think about it. 360 had about 350,000 at launch and that wasn't near enough even though they said by Christmas they shipped about a million. PS3 will have aout 400,000 at launch and supposedly 2 million by end of year(hmmm). How many systems do you see at individual stores with those numbers?

Not to mention the few thousand of the systems going to backwater towns where people don't even know what a Nintendo is. I read a few years back a guy found a bunch of PS2s in some rural town in Alabama and picked up 4 of them for around $150 because the store couldn't get rid of them.

Also, Gaijin great pic there buddy....loving what's behind the slip....

Edited by Chewie

How did you get a preorder early? I thought they are not taking any till tomorrow morning.

In Hawaii, Gamestop did a pre-order on Sept. 18th as a "test-run" before the other stores for both PS3 and Wii. The catch was you had to turn in $50 worth of used stuff to get a pre-order...no cash taken. One Wii and PS3 pre-order per customer, $50 worth of trade ins per order.

Simple. Even more simple was you could literally turn in anything they sold...crap DVD's, controllers, etc. ;)

In Hawaii, Gamestop did a pre-order on Sept. 18th as a "test-run" before the other stores for both PS3 and Wii. The catch was you had to turn in $50 worth of used stuff to get a pre-order...no cash taken. One Wii and PS3 pre-order per customer, $50 worth of trade ins per order.

Simple. Even more simple was you could literally turn in anything they sold...crap DVD's, controllers, etc. ;)

Damn... :(

I really want to get this system but my mom is ticked off that I recently got a Onyx with MY OWN MONEY!

Getting a job so I'm hoping that my bro at GameCrazy can talk to the manager if I can't preorder it at EB/GameStop.

i went there at 730 am. I walked , i live in walking distance of 3 gamestops. Two of em are in the mall so i didnt even bother with that . I went to one on a sidestreet. I was 5th to arrive...first guy said hed been there since 6 am. The store opens up at 10 but at 9 they came out of the store and gave us all reserve slips that werre numbered..took our names and numbers and told us we can go do whatever and to just be back before 1030 or we lose our spot.

When that happened there were ten people in line. I walked home then came back at ten and there were about 12 people waiting. Finally after we all preordered and i was walking around the store looking for some mega cheapo used games to screw around with...some guy walks in asking if he could preorder. He talked about his miserable experience at the two ebs in teh mall and how they basically cut the line in half at the very last moment and told the rest of the people they might as well go home...what a bunch of assnuggets.

Anyway they told him at the gamestop they had one more preorder if one of the employees didnt show up in the next ten minutes or it would go the employee <_<

He didnt show up in time and the guy lucked out ..i was happy for him.

I plan on getting a ps3 but like many i have no problem waiting 6 months for the price to slim out and the library to increase...though there are many current titles id love to play they will be half the price in 6 months. I really wanted to own a wii this year and im glad i went and preordered...especially since ive had zelda preordered for over a year now. There are a bunch of games coming down the pieline im gonna love though and frankly its a system id love to develop for. I dont really like playing first person shooters on consoles...i have a pc that handles and plays it better with mouse and keys but i think the wii might change all that. I really cant wait to see what interesting and active stuff comes out for the system.

Meh.

I got a special preorder at GameCrazy so I'm not worried about that. :)

Did not even put money down. I won't say how I got it worked out but...

YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!! :lol:

Sorry just felt like doing that. :p

I'm going to have to come on time at launch day though so nobody takes it from me even though its on order for me since my reservation is cut to how long they can keep it in for me.

I'd say for anyone that did not get a chance, your odds are good of getting one. This launch will be a whole lot bigger than the 360's, it would be 6 times bigger to be exact.

Lets all drink till we die! ^_^

Cheers!

Edit: 500 posts, this cant get any better!

Edited by Ishimaru

We were in line for just over an hour at our store. 6th ones in line out of about 20 people. The guys at our GS came out. Let in the first 5 people and told the rest of us to go home.

Needless to say I was mad. I knew for a fact that store was going to recieve 18 systems.

Shady GS's are now high on my sh*t list. So very high.