The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

It's the same way I've seen people list Gurren Lagaan shirts as Gunbuster ones on eBay. People don't do their (what would be swift) research in the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Though I believe this to merely be a case of someone being to lazy to change the template. I've seen it happen.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought and viewed the official DVDs for the gunbuster OVA thinking it was going to be epic and aweinspiring... Well I have to say Im disappointed...

There were really only two fights I liked in the series and just too much damn melodrama... Super robot series are supposed to be about action, drama is usually an added bonus or afterthought. Nonetheless it isnt the worst anime I have seen but definitely not as good as say zeta gundam or votoms. The robot design is neat though.

I recently bought and viewed the official DVDs for the gunbuster OVA thinking it was going to be epic and aweinspiring... Well I have to say it was all that are more!

FIXED! :D

I recently bought and viewed the official DVDs for the gunbuster OVA thinking it was going to be epic and aweinspiring... Well I have to say Im disappointed...

There were really only two fights I liked in the series and just too much damn melodrama... Super robot series are supposed to be about action, drama is usually an added bonus or afterthought. Nonetheless it isnt the worst anime I have seen but definitely not as good as say zeta gundam or votoms. The robot design is neat though.

I gotta say, I watched the OVA a number of months ago and felt sort of the same thing. I disagree about the balance between action and drama, I liked that. But what action there was could have been improved, and the drama was flatter than I was expecting. The show gets talked up so much I was expecting something...yeah, epic. It was good, but not really impressive.

I hate anti-spirals!

• 3 weeks later...
just too much damn melodrama

This coming from a Zeta fan.... :blink: [huge Z fan myself, especially of the drama]

Well to each there own, but a mecha show about just action would be boring as F*ck in my opinion. Let the action serve the story, not vice versa.

Not everything has to be about stuff blowing up to be good...

Little action or no, episode five's finale still satisfies more than some entire shows on the battle scene level. :ph34r:

-----------

Anyway, on the personal front, I've returned from a mostly gratifying Fanime.

On the Gunbuster/Diebuster front, more happened than usually expected.

I found Film Book 1 at the swap meet for five bucks. Love the group shot in it.

Managed to catch the end of Gattai for Gunbuster and, the following day Diebuster. So I basically saw "At the End of Endless Stream". In Diebuster's case, it was actually the first time I'd seen any of that footage outside of pics on 4chan, or skimming the DVD. I enjoyed it for the most part, even if I didn't fully understand the earth or second cockpit things. Nono's sort of grown on me, though Lar'c (Lal'c?) is still somewhat eh. I think that may be why I've never really gotten back to the OAV, the characters don't really excite me much [making me something of an anomaly amongst like fans who are usually repulsed by the art/tone, which I had little problem with].

On Monday, picked up two Nono Gashapons [one maid, one BM] in the dealers hall to reflect my somewhat reconciliation with the character. I would've picked up the Bome if it weren't so damn overpriced ($20, and not a penny more, and yet everyone's selling her for $28-30, even Noriko was $30, and I got her for $18). They go rather nicely next to my Bome and Koto Norikos.

Could not find any Wave Norikos or GX-34s. Big shock, but the Wave was sort of plausible, and would've been my only high priced figure purchase if found. Anyone actually got one of these?

Speaking of GX-34s, not finding one turned out to be a non-issue. It turns out my friend ordered me one for my birthday. It's somehow unsurprising (in a "what took you so long" sort of way) but still amazing. It made me glad I grabbed him a super rare autograph to cover his and Christmas.

What autograph, you ask? Well, Yamaga brought with him this time a slew of Gurren-Lagann artists and other Gainax big wigs, including Diebuster chara designer and Gunbuster chara adapter Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. Not knowing this, I left my Der Mond at home, but picked up a Groundwork of End of Eva 1 book at the swap meet for 30 bucks. Sad thing was that after two people, someone came by and said his manager had forbade him signing, or photos for that matter. Fortunately, later at the meet, someone got his manager away from him and I got the book signed (one of eight of the only people there actually involved with Eva or at least around long enough and willing to actually sign the book) and a photo. I picked up a signature for my friend when he was signing in the hallway afterwards.

Some such people even did work on Gunbuster. One of them being Fumio Iida. I found out at the last second that sketches were being done following a Gainax panel I had to leave. I had a chance for one. I saw a guy with a Noriko sketch, asked who did it, and decided to gravitate towards him. Sure enough, I got one myself on request thanks to one guy following the staffer's advice to let some other people get some. So I got his last sketch that day on a piece of borrowed sketch paper. It was only later that I learned he had indeed worked on Gunbuster, and not just able to sketch it. He also signed the Eva book (though ANN says he didn't work on it), and I got a photo with him after telling him Gunbuster was my favorite (his too apparently). I didn't get everyone, and missed at least one major GL artist, but I got the most important ones. One guy was even wearing a BM 7 shirt (I think he signed the book, I'm not sure), and the producer like my Kare Kano shirt.

So I may finally have something on the level of my other unappreciative friend's Mikimoto Noriko sketch.

So yeah, great con in the end, even with a few early signature snafus bungling me up.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I gotta say, I watched the OVA a number of months ago and felt sort of the same thing. I disagree about the balance between action and drama, I liked that. And what action there was, was a thing of total beauty, and the drama was way better then I thought it would be; it was very moving. The show gets talked up so much I was expecting something...yeah, epic and of course I wasn't disapointed. It was better then good, it was really impressive.

Cause Duke Togo's too lazy to fix it. :lol:

Mercurial post pics of the people who signed and the sigs/sketches! Thanks! :)

And how was the cel selection?

Sure, if you don't mind cell phone pics.

Cell wise seemed okay for the little I flipped through, no Gunbuster cels though (there are some awesome ones on Yahoo Japan right now).

• 5 weeks later...

Well, it seems that Bandai Entertainment has announced that they have acquired all of Honneamise's titles save for two of them. One of them is Patlabor. Guess what the other title is? While Gunbuster 2 and the Gattai movie have made it to the list, the original is not on it.

God, I certainly hope this is an oversight. It'll suck if the series is no longer available again after all the bitching we went through to get it here. Maybe they are going to put the original music back in episode 1?

Edited by Noriko Takaya

it'd be stupid to keep releasing Diebuster without Gunbuster, but stranger things have happened. If they re-released it with the proper music again, I'd be all over it.

God, I certainly hope this is an oversight. It'll suck if the series is no longer available again after all the bitching we went through to get it here.

It would be ironic if the series is no longer available due to all the bitching the first episode received.

But as you said, I think it's just an oversight. Hopefully we'll be proven right.

I'm out of town at the moment in Sonora, so I'll do so when I get back. I need to get those suckers framed.

Great AX news. ANN reports that the Gattai set will be released on Blu-ray in November. Seeing as I now own a Blu-ray capable laptop, it makes me glad that I haven't gotten the US boxset just yet. It sounds like Bandai Ent is taking a page from the "Mad collectors" book. They're prioritizing boxsets with interesting and worthless crap for future releases.

Anyone in LA to inquire for Gunbuster?

I forgot to mention something from Fanime. I stopped at the Broccoli booth to inquire on the shirts. He said they had chosen numerous designs and had sent them to Gainax for approval, but had not heard back. So Gainax is the reason for the delay. Personally, I was more frustrated that they didn't bother to mention this on the site. I forgot to ask if the winners had been informed.

Part of me wanted to point out, "You do know that the President and the CEO of Gainax are pretty much right down the hall, right?" :blink:

• 3 months later...

Ah, someone dusted this old girl off, thereby reminding me to finally take some damn pics...Sorry for the three month wait, if I don't get around to it this week, than sometime in November since I'm going out of town yet again.

I was on Amazon today and I realized that Gunbuster and Diebuster are coming out on Blu-ray. From the run time of 95 minutes each on 1 disc I'm not sure what to make of it. My question is are they split up into episodes, or is it like Macross Plus Movie Edition where it's edited and spliced together to make one long movie. Then I see a listing for Gunbuster Theatrical Edition DVD which I didn't' know about. A little clarity please from the experts out there.

Gunbuster Blu-ray

http://www.amazon.com/Gunbuster-Blu-ray-Mo...3284&sr=8-7

Diebuster link Blu-ray

http://www.amazon.com/Diebuster-Blu-ray-Mo...352&sr=8-20

Gunbuster Theatrical Edition DVD

http://www.amazon.com/Gunbuster-Theatrical...893&sr=8-19

Edited by sharky

OK, after browsing through this very long thread, I was able to get answers to my questions. Just to make sure I have this right. These new Blu-ray releases are of the theatrical movie editions. So, I wonder if they will release the OVAs in their entirety on Blu-ray.

OK, after browsing through this very long thread, I was able to get answers to my questions. Just to make sure I have this right. These new Blu-ray releases are of the theatrical movie editions.

Right, these aren't the full OAVs, so you don't want these unless you want a shortened version with scenes missing.

So, I wonder if they will release the OVAs in their entirety on Blu-ray.

Of course they will...after everyone has wasted their money on the crappy movie version.