The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

The copyright issue makes no sense to me regarding the Chariots of Fire-like music. Why are the Japanese worried about American copyright issues when the film was made by the British? Not to mention also the British are selling the DVD with the scene unaltered through the Kiseki label.

The British release is worst than the R1 release because scenes have been cut from it and the subtitles are permanent so you can't switch them off, In my opinion thats much worst than the music change.

I think the copyright issue covers most of the west which includes USA and Europe. So if something is British made, its probably copyrighted in the US as well. The Japanese version and HK versions are not affected because its a totally different region with its own copyright laws. Copyright only covers certain regions and not the whole world.

Hey guys is Diebuster(Gunbuster 2) any good? I saw gunbuster at Katsucon and I loved it. I'm hoping Diebuster is just as good!

IMHO its good but not as great as Top 1, as many people here have atested. I think Noriko himself hates it though.

This went under the radar for me.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN911273

Looks decent.

And from the Toricle series, now its assorted Gainax stuff. Top included.

http://pony-hp3.web.infoseek.co.jp/TORI-GAINA.htm

God damn you, I was perfectly content in not spending money tonight, and then you had to post that Nono statue!

At least it's on backorder, so it won't charge for a little while...

Last year I posted a gunbuster 3d model to be exported to HW2 but didn't finished it, only now i retook the project, just finished the U/V mapping thing and now may i ask you guys 2 things?? is the colour is ok?? and if anyone could provide a good lineart with some exterior details?? i would really apreciate. Unless there is some exterior detail i will have to make up some unexisting details or the model will look poor when compared to others HW2 ships. Thank you.

IPB Image

Edited by akt_m

So what the hell was changed??? 25 pages.... Can someone just list what was changed???

:unsure:

Well, if you would keep up...

The background music was removed from the scene in episode one where Noriko begins her training under Coach Ota. The music was replaced with another track of music from the series, "Start Of Military Operations" M-13, which is track 11 on disc two of the Sound Collection Of Gunbuster 3 disc set. It was felt this piece of music too closely resembled the theme from the film Chariots of Fire, so instead of starting a whole controversy over a lawsuit, the music was cut. Mind you, this was just for the R1 American release. Everyone else in the whole world gets to keep the original version. Bandai did release a R1 version of the original Japanese remastered set, which was intact. Questions arose why that wasn't edited as well, seeing as how it was made for sale for the R1 market. When Bandai was confronted with the music change, they stated that if they wanted to have the original scene, then they could buy the other set. What a way to treat your fans, eh? And, in addition to the music cut, the sound quality for this particular episode was also degraded, as you can tell while watching. Compare it to the original uncut scene and you will see for yourself. I hope this clears things up for you.

By the way, my Bome figure is on its way! Ordered one late, but getting it regardless.

Well, if you would keep up...

The background music was removed from the scene in episode one where Noriko begins her training under Coach Ota. The music was replaced with another track of music from the series, "Start Of Military Operations" M-13, which is track 11 on disc two of the Sound Collection Of Gunbuster 3 disc set. It was felt this piece of music too closely resembled the theme from the film Chariots of Fire, so instead of starting a whole controversy over a lawsuit, the music was cut. Mind you, this was just for the R1 American release. Everyone else in the whole world gets to keep the original version. Bandai did release a R1 version of the original Japanese remastered set, which was intact. Questions arose why that wasn't edited as well, seeing as how it was made for sale for the R1 market. When Bandai was confronted with the music change, they stated that if they wanted to have the original scene, then they could buy the other set. What a way to treat your fans, eh? And, in addition to the music cut, the sound quality for this particular episode was also degraded, as you can tell while watching. Compare it to the original uncut scene and you will see for yourself. I hope this clears things up for you.

By the way, my Bome figure is on its way! Ordered one late, but getting it regardless.

Is the audio on the bootleg decent? Just rip the audio from it and add the new video.....

;)

It's not a bootleg. It's an R0 set from BV thenselves. It's pretty much perfect outside its lack of subs.

I'm still waitig on my BOME Noriko as well. Mine's being shipped to San Francisco, so I'll have to wait until that weeken to get it.

I still haven't picked up the R1. As much as I' like the manga card and booklet...

Any news of a bome kasumi and jung figure, oh and i wouldn't mind having a figure of coach , he'll look cool with them as well though its probably unlikely to happen.

Alright, so I finally broke down and bought the Bandai set. After hearing all the complaints, I had to compare it to my R2 set. Here's my setup:

Sony 38' HDTV

Denon AVR-3803 receiver hooked up to Bose 5.1 speakers

Xbox modded to output Progressive Scan and play all region DVD's (a damn good dvd player by itself)

Sony DVD player DVP-NS755V

All running off Monster component & optical cables

Gunbuster R1 DVD Box Set (Japan)

Gunbuster R2 DVD Box Set (USA)

I've got both dvd players hooked up to my receiver and was able to switch realtime between the R1 and R2 DVD's. Here's what I noticed:

Video - Surprisingly they're both the same. At least I couldn't notice any difference. Kudos to Bandai!

Audio - Ugh! The audio from episode 1 was horribly downsampled on the R1. Compared to the R2 it sounded muddled, imagine comparing an mp3 encoded at 256kbps to one at 128kbps and you'll know what I'm talking about. I also noticed that the sound effects from the training montage have been completely replaced in the R1 version, I guess when Bandai changed the music they had to rebuild the SFX that went along with it.

Episode 2's audio was a vast improvement over episode 1's, but it still didn't sound as good as the R2. The R2 just sounded richer on my speakers. Don't get me wrong, it still sounds fine and I probably wouldn't have known if I hadn't done a realtime comparison. To go back with the mp3 analogy, this time I'd say it's like comparing one encoded at 256kbps verses a 192kbps version. Both sound great, but the former still beats the latter.

I didn't have time to compare the rest of the discs, but I think it's safe to say that episode 1 suffered from unusually poor audio due to music swap. And I also played the R1 on my Xbox just in case my Sony DVD player happened to have a poor audio processor, but it didn't help. The R1 simply has inferior audio.

I'm glad that Bandai setup the R1 so that the science lessons automatically played right after the credits (just like the R2). As a fan of Gunbuster for the past 12 years, I can honestly say that the different music in the training montage didn't bother me that much. It's even timed to fit in with the scene. If only Bandai hadn't downsampled the audio...

Anyways, if I get around to testing the rest of the discs, I'll post my findings here.

I picked up my Gunbuster set from the nearby Best Buy (FINALLY got several sets in!) last week. Since I had never watched the series before, the change in the soundtrack in the first episode in Noriko's training scene obviously didn't effect me any; I do have an old used US Renditions VHS tape of the first episode or two so sometime I might go and make a comparison. So far I have gotten half way through and so far I like it. :) Definitely a classic. :)

Got my set last night too...the music change while a bit jarring wasn't as bad as I expected. I agree that the audio overall isn't the greatest. I want uncompressed PCM on Blu-ray! :D

Audio - Ugh! The audio from episode 1 was horribly downsampled on the R1. Compared to the R2 it sounded muddled, imagine comparing an mp3 encoded at 256kbps to one at 128kbps and you'll know what I'm talking about. I also noticed that the sound effects from the training montage have been completely replaced in the R1 version, I guess when Bandai changed the music they had to rebuild the SFX that went along with it.

THANK YOU! I've been trying to tell people that since the damn thing came out!

I want uncompressed PCM on Blu-ray!

The original (R2 at least) actually is uncompressed PCM.

So what happened with the Region 0? Reports have the audio as being the same for Episode 1.

Not in the higher bitrates we hear on the new formats. ;)

All someone has to do is check the audio bitrate/codec on both versions to be sure. I only have the R1. If they appear the same codec and bitrate wise, then something is amiss.

Edited by Gaijin

Just got mine in the mail. No time to check it out yet, but the box art.....up close looks very obvious it is a photo of the Kaiyodo Gunbuster toy then used photoshop filters to make it look like a hand drawn art. Sigh..why are the items i buy plagued by fugly box art? (Yamato i'm lookin at u)..i want mikimoto art.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend's store still can't get the Bome Noriko in. <_<

Edit: found what I was looking for.

kinda sorta half-off topic I'm planning on doing a podcast for my website... not just sakura taisen things but things that kinda fit with ST's themes or stuff the cast/staff worked on that might interestest the fans. So I want my first show to be a "Music of Tanaka Kouhei" show, which of course relates to gunbuster fans too.

Which is why I wanna know the answer to this question, which if any of the vocals did Kouhei write the music for? Thanks in advance

(BTW I know he wasn't the main person for Dirty pair, but he did do some of the music).

IPB Image

Edited by lord_breetai

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know, Bandai announced today that they will be releasing Diebuster on May 22. There will be three DVD volumes with two episodes each, and SRP is estimated at $39.99 a volume. If that is the case, that is pretty expensive for what the going rate is for DVD's here in the States for only 2 episodes. That brings to mind the bad old days of anime when titles such as Bubblegum Crisis and even the original release of Gunbuster were around $40. Diebuster will also be released as Gunbuster 2, which for the life of me I don't know why. The only die-hard reference made to the original is the appearance of the Gunbuster at the end of episode 6.

Pre-orders are coming at around $29.99. Bandai Visual has pretty much stated their qoing with Japanese quality releases at near R2 pricing. Their eventual goal is to have simultanious R1/R2 releases.

And assuming we don't have another Gunbuster audio incident, I don't see a problem as long as they maintain their quality.

Sorry. DVD's.

Qucik question about Gunbuster. Why didn't they just make more? It would have helped out ALOT, instead of building those CF ships :blink:

They did... Gunbuster was the prototype... the mass production type was the Sizzlers. You know they took out the stuff that wasn't neccesary.

It's the anime logic of prototypes... they're always better. :lol:

Also a full class Gunbuster shows up in the Next Generation manga.

Edited by lord_breetai

I finished the DVD set up back on Friday. I was definitely impressed and moved by it. The artwork in OVA #5 was totally phenominal. The ending is sad in that everyone and the world that Noriko and Kazumi knew had long since passed away many thousands of years early, but that Jung's promise to her friends was somehow kept by the people of Earth during the next 12,000 years in anticipation of the Gunbuster's arrival was very touching.

This ranks up there as one of my anime all time favorites. :)

Just to let you know, Bandai announced today that they will be releasing Diebuster on May 22. There will be three DVD volumes with two episodes each, and SRP is estimated at $39.99 a volume. If that is the case, that is pretty expensive for what the going rate is for DVD's here in the States for only 2 episodes...

"Pretty expensive" is quite an understatement. I don't think I've ever paid that much on any domestic anime DVD release with only 2 episodes. Heck, not even when it comes with 3 or 4 episodes. <_<

Think this is really a wrong move and will hurts Bandai's sales. Sure they are not getting my money unless they will have a much cheaper box set. With $39.99, you can get a very good 26 episode thinpack boxsets nowadays. As much as I like Gunbuster 2, this kind of pricing is pretty outrageous.