The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

Track 11, "Start Of Military Operations M-13" is what they used? They used battle music for Noriko's training scene?

Yup. Like I stated back in January, it's battle music. I suppose it does fit okay, but not nearly as well as, oh, the music that's supposed to be there. Same as how M-13 fits the scene it's supposed to only be in as well.

As for the Gunbuster/Diebuster confusion, several tracks are homages or redos.

i've had mine on preorder from amazon.com since the moment they put it up, and i got notice that it shipped, whee! i can't wait!

hmm and i'm interested to hear what the new music sounds like. i'm kinda used to the "Chariots of Fire" training music...

Edited by JValk

Guys, before you start spending tons on these dvds, try the following:

Deep Discount:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.ht...oductId=7361018

$43.23, FREE shipping

Overstock.com:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PA...PROD_ID=2245607

$44.25, $1.40 shipping

I got mine from Overstock yesterday with no problems (I had a gift card left over from xmas).

And man! I haven't seen this show in 14 years or so. As soon as that title music started up, I was overcome by nostalgia. Altered music or no, I am so happy to finally own this classic anime masterpiece. :)

The change in music to me sounds out of place, but thats probably because I've got use to the original version. Its no big deal.

I'm used to the original version as well, its all I have known for what, 16 or 17 years? But it doesn't detract from the scene or my enjoyment of the episode. The way I originally heard this reported, you would have thought George Lucas had some hand in it.

I'm used to the original version as well, its all I have known for what, 16 or 17 years? But it doesn't detract from the scene or my enjoyment of the episode. The way I originally heard this reported, you would have thought George Lucas had some hand in it.

Well we are the people who would be most botheed by it. As evidenced on other forums I've posted this on, most people don't notice nor care. Naturally here is whee you'll find people that do.

Like I've said, I'd feel better if they addressed it with more than a, "they felt like it" and, "go buy the other set (which isn't on sale any more)".

I don't think any of us have really gotten out of hand. The AOD thread was much worse.

Well, Best Buy must be slow on the pick-up. I got one of their lackeys to punch Gunbuster into their computer and their release date is March 3rd.

Gah... That's probably why every Best Buy I called today (at least 5 of them) all said they weren't in stock. I'll stop by one of them tomorrow and beat some sense into them. Had to do the same with Yukikaze volume 2 a few years ago, when they got the release date wrong on that one too.

Is anybody elses copy extremely grainy. For instance theres a lot of little dots on noriko's hair in ep 1 while she is jump roping. There are many other instances of this also in ep1. It wasn't as noticable in EP 2.

I actually think my old copy dl'ed rip from years ago looks better.

Really? You mean DP's release? That looked terrible, what with the improper frame rate and such. I can't speak for the R1 (the ALA projecters were horrid), but my R0 looks great. I'll check it later.

No matter how good the restoration, most leave a bit of grain. Otherwise it look unnatural.

Checking the official site, the DVD page has a really tiny note on the change, though again with the reason stated as, "they felt like it"... You'd think it would be in the news section. At least it's there, no matter how small. So I feel a tad better.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Really? You mean DP's release? That looked terrible, what with the improper frame rate and such. I can't speak for the R1 (the ALA projecters were horrid), but my R0 looks great. I'll check it later.

No matter how good the restoration, most leave a bit of grain. Otherwise it look unnatural.

Checking the official site, the DVD page has a really tiny note on the change, though again with the reason stated as, "they felt like it"... You'd think it would be in the news section. At least it's there, no matter how small. So I feel a tad better.

I've got a rip of the R0 and it looks much better on my plasma then the new R1 release.

Does anyone know when the Nuriko Takaya figure by Bome is supposed to come out? According to AAA Anime distro it was supposed to be out at the beggining of this month. But they still have it as pre-order.

My friend gets all the bome figures into is hobby shop, and he hasn't seen it come in yet. Has anyone seen it around?

post-772-1172305112_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know when the Nuriko Takaya figure by Bome is supposed to come out? According to AAA Anime distro it was supposed to be out at the beggining of this month. But they still have it as pre-order.

My friend gets all the bome figures into is hobby shop, and he hasn't seen it come in yet. Has anyone seen it around?

I got my one direct from Japan from Hobbysearch, if you want to buy it online that is.

Didn't really notice the tinny audio, but the video definitely is grainy. Noticeably so. And it doesn't look natural. I'd go as far as saying they screwed up the video. Also, the subtitles in many cases leave something to be desired.

Reading through the AoD thread, the reported "audio issue" seems to be a totally false report. Several people investigated, and no one else found this problem. Its my understanding that outside of the change in music, the audio in the R1 is identical to the R2 release.

That also tends to be the same bunch who miss many such problems, and in the past haven't minded so much when company's "accidentlly" stick them with mono japanese audio. So I wouldn't take their analysis too seriously.

Maybe Bandai Visual added back some grain in to the video like Animeigo did with their Macross release.

I bought the R3 (which mirrors the R2 release) and i couldn't barely see a speck of grain.

Could someone take a screen cap from episode 1 of the R1 (which i've yet to purchase) then we can do a comparison.

Well, seeing as how popular this thread is, I figured I'd try to increase our fanbase by starting a group over at My Space. I'd like for all you guys to join, thinking that maybe we can get a little extra leeway for posting videos and songs from both series as well as artwork and toys and such. I'm not saying close this thread down, as this is our little personal space here on Macross World, but I figured maybe we can get some wider exposure sharing a series we all know and love. I've proposed the same thing to the fans on Yahoo's Gunbuster club. Hopefully I'll see you guys there as well as here.

Please join! http://groups.myspace.com/gunbuster

Actually, I watched episode one last night and there is still grain there. Not much, but it's present. At regular viewing distence, it wasn't all that apparent. I'd say they eased off on grain removal. A lot of restorers tend to leave it as noncareful removal can smear details, and I already noticed when this came out years ago that they were threading closely in that department (some black outlines got noticably thinner). So I wouldn't consider it too uch pf a problem.

I don't have the R1, so I can't really compare the two. I do know owever that the R2 rip is not indicative of the actual R2/R0. So the grain might've been smoothed out by the fansubbers or obscured by added compression ((assuming this isnt soe 1:1 copy I'm unaware of).

I got my one direct from Japan from Hobbysearch, if you want to buy it online that is.

Well I like to buy figures from my friend's store if possible, and he usually gets the Bome figures in as soon as a distributor makes them available to north america, but none of his distributors are carrying it yet, which is weird.

That also tends to be the same bunch who miss many such problems, and in the past haven't minded so much when company's "accidentlly" stick them with mono japanese audio. So I wouldn't take their analysis too seriously.

Correct me if I am wrong, Keith, but were you not the sole person drumming up this bad audio in episode 1 nonsense? Yes, going back, it does indeed seem to be the case. :rolleyes:

Well, seeing as how popular this thread is, I figured I'd try to increase our fanbase by starting a group over at My Space. I'd like for all you guys to join, thinking that maybe we can get a little extra leeway for posting videos and songs from both series as well as artwork and toys and such. I'm not saying close this thread down, as this is our little personal space here on Macross World, but I figured maybe we can get some wider exposure sharing a series we all know and love. I've proposed the same thing to the fans on Yahoo's Gunbuster club. Hopefully I'll see you guys there as well as here.

Please join! http://groups.myspace.com/gunbuster

Or better yet, create a Noriko Takaya's Gunbuster World website and forums. :lol:

Finally got my copy today.

After 3 days of looking high and low at every local retailer I could think of (and in the process getting EXTREMELY pissed off at some particularly ignorant Best Buy employees), I finally gave up and ordered it online.

DeepDiscount was out of stock, so I went with Overstock.com. Ordered early friday morning, shipped by friday evening, and it arrived monday afternoon. Much faster than I was expecting. Cheap, too. $45 shipped.

Impressions after episode 1: Very impressed. EXCEPT for the music change. Some of the comments I've read are that it still fits, but it's like nails on a chalkboard for me. Seriously.

But the translation is excelent, the sound is good, and the picture is every bit as good as my laserdisc copies, if not a bit better.

Welcome to the club of people who will be annoyed by those that claim that "complaining over one damn song is like acting it's the end of the world", Valkyrie. I'm having a few querrels over at thehaisho.com right now for it. Is is really overreacting, given the circumstances?

The ANN review has caused one man to dig up a blast from the past. Given this release, and the earlier hadow Chronicles release and sequel announcement, I think it's time to revisit "Robotech III: Not Necessarily the Sentinels."

http://www.seishun.org/2005/03/robotech-ii...-sentinels.html

I asked about the manga card on their Myspace blog when they plugged it. Basically, I enquired about whether those who bought the R0 could get it.

Their reponse:

Sorry the R0 feedback card is different. The US DVD feedback card has the offer details written on it.

As for what it looks like, we don’t want to spoil the fun by giving away too much. We can say that you get to see a taste of the first two episodes of Gunbuster in manga format!

Drawn by Haruhiko Mikimoto, the original character designer of Gunbuster (also famous as the character designer for Macross) and translated into English especially for this release, it’s possibly the only officially made manga version of Gunbuster. So don’t forget to turn in the card before March 30!

I corrected him on the whole "only official Gunbuster manga" bit. I now alo find it amusing that he reminded me to turn the card in soon, when I explecitely said I bought the R0 and made no mention of owning the R1.

Well, I finally got around to watching my R1 set today and the training scene does bug me quite a bit. Yeah, I know I'm complaining, but as the resident Top! lunatic here I find it disconcerting to say the least. It bugs me to no end. The copyright issue makes no sense to me regarding the Chariots of Fire-like music. Why are the Japanese worried about American copyright issues when the film was made by the British? Not to mention also the British are selling the DVD with the scene unaltered through the Kiseki label. I don't see the British making a fuss. I'm going to add both scenes to my site under the heading of The Japanese Butchering of a Classic Anime Series for the American Market. I sound really bitter, I know, but now that I have seen the episode in question, I really resent what the Japanese have done to a show I love to death. I have officially now reached the level of manic fanboy. Where's my Zoloft?

Edit: I did like the rest of the release though. I just wish they'd (GAINAX/Bandai) put it back the way it was supposed to be.

Edited by Noriko Takaya

I corrected him on the whole "only official Gunbuster manga" bit. I now alo find it amusing that he reminded me to turn the card in soon, when I explecitely said I bought the R0 and made no mention of owning the R1.

Huh, This reminds me I'm still looking for the full manga series for Top O Nerae Next Generation.

post-772-1172991537_thumb.jpg

Edited by lord_breetai