The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

I would if I could man, but I had to bum 60 bucks off my friend just to get mine.

Like I said, Kinokuniya Japantown had like 40 of them though they saidonly 4 were for sale. Hence they have two now.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I think this is the first time I've seen a third version of a thread canned in favor of a revival of the previous one. So I guess Jung will have to wait. Long Live Noiko (though it should technically be Kazumi, it was launched in honor of Noriko's Birthday, so yeah...)

In other news, the contest ended about six hours ago. The two I thought would win did so with 39/33 votes respectively. I came in forth with 14 votes. Part of me is more irked at losing to "Sell it with women", which got two more votes than I, and was merely seven girls holding printouts! Though counting Area 88's and another forum members missed votes, I tied him. So I feel a bit better. It must've taken him all of five minutes compared to my hours. My sister assures me it was probably his friends that did it.

Of course, winner two technically didn't meet the requirements (he was missing the logo and slogan, he caimed they were cut off). Sara had to point out that I probably shouldn't have questioned how it was built. I don't think it mattered much. If he'd been disqualified, I might have gotten a lot of his votes. You never know.

Thanks to anyone who did vote. Not counting friends and family, I got about 8 unsoliciated votes. Number five got 9, six got 8.

If the R0 and R1 versions of gunbuster are by the same company, and its released round about the same time, and they also recommend the R0 version in their letter reply to Kieth, don't you think this is a ploy to make more money, They are taking advantage of hardcore fans because they know they would buy both copies. They must be laughing all the way to the bank :lol:

I appreciate it, Noriko. Thanks. Feel free to use the closeup pics on your site if you'd like to for some odd reason. ^_^ I'd scan them, but they're way too big to fit. I can still see about scanning the Kinokuniya stuff if anyone's interested. The display card is interesting.

I'm a bit disappointed in losing, but having the R0 has softened the blow considerably. I've got the extras I want (this being one of the few things I'd care about extras for), I have my US Renditions sub tape, as well as Digital Panic's fansubs (which includes the shorts and unmatted episode six), and some of Studio ADTRW's, so really, it seems I only really need to get the booklet. I probably should've tried to get the copy I was flipping through at ALA. The rep (their president according to the MySpace message I got) seemed to like me enough (might've even gotten the whole thing since I'm dreaming anyway). If I had, I'd probably have no reason to get the R1 outside of completism (the main rason I'd consider it in the first place now that the R0 confirms that I can indeed watch the show raw). So yeah, if anyone doesnt want their booklet.... :rolleyes:

At least the two I would've voted for won. Like I said when I entered, at least I now have fanart I didn't before. *_*;;

To be honest, I'm just proud I actually submitted anything in the first place. Usually I mean to, but slack off. There's a few more contests. The R1 can wait now. Especially since the R0 has made it impossible to buy it on the 20th anyway.

The official site has launched their survey sweepstakes. Grand prize is a trip to Japan. Second place is one of four BOME Norikos, third place is one of four posters.

All entrents get a wallpaper based off the R1 cover.

Of note, one survey question is comments about Gunbuster and Bandai Visual. It goes without saying that displeasure at the music change shold be in this field on everybodies' entry. Just be curteous guys.

Rightstuf is also running a contest.

As for the R0, Kung Flu, I'm sure it wasn't intended to be anyting more than a suppliment for people like us. It's probably just cruel fate that it's become an alternative instead. At least they're not asking the 170 price tag of the R2 (judging by pics I've seen).

I just hope they reverse this decision come the eventual HD release (no D-VHS version though....)

Anyone checked ot the Gunbuster content in the recent anime mags? I know Keith mentioned Anime Insider had a bit. Any of it worth picking up, or anyone willing to scan it?

Duke, that's exactly what I had planned. Since the discs seem about the same outside of the menus, they should match up damn near flawlessly.

Speaking of which, just what does the R1 have? I know all disc four content is gone, but what about the trailers on each disc? Are they still there?

Let's see what's on my agenda concerning this...

AOD contest...Check

RightStuf contest..Check

Other Contest when available (I should probably buy the last two issue of that dreadful Newtype USA)...pending, so Check

BOME Noriko....Secured

Looks like the top priority is to save up enough to finally warrent tracking down a SOC (I need a job... <.<) (maybe even a SHE since the price dropped), then to finish work on my Ohta cosplay. Once he's out of the way, my Gunbuster twentieh annaversary cosplay related pet project can truly begin (think jejune, but far, far grander in scope and scale).

Well, all recent DVDs are The Renewal. The new R2, it's R0 clone, and the R1. They all feature the same remastered footage (which looks worlds better than the fansub lead me to believe).

As for how good the R2 is, I guess that would depend on your priorities. I have the R0, which, aside from the missing UPC symbol on the bottom of the box, is exactly the same.

My verdict is that if you don't need subtitles, and don't care about the R1 booklet and Manga card, the R0 is the superior release.

Everything the R1 has (except completely different booklet) plus:

Unaltered audio

44 page booklet with plenty of sketches, merchandise pics, and tons of info if you can read it. I can't, but the cel and original drawing pics more than make up for it.

An entire forth disc with extras not on the R1 including:

Unmatted Episode Six

Period interview with Noriko Hidaka and Rei Sakuma

Two segments of Episode five in unfinished form

Several ads for the show

Indepth line art gallery profiling Characters, Mecha, and Aliens

Etc.

A nice postcard featuring Noriko on the beach (just a thought, anyone recieved their R1 manga card yet? It occurs to me that they may be one and the same)

Packaging featuring a lot more classic art than the R1. Most of the great standby pieces are here. If you prefer Mikimoto's old stuff, it's way better. Not that I dislike the R1 (though why did they use a Kaiyodo instead of their own superior SOC? I can only assume the pic was taken before its completion).

Well, all recent DVDs are The Renewal. The new R2, it's R0 clone, and the R1. They all feature the same remastered footage (which looks worlds better than the fansub lead me to believe).

As for how good the R2 is, I guess that would depend on your priorities. I have the R0, which, aside from the missing UPC symbol on the bottom of the box, is exactly the same.

My verdict is that if you don't need subtitles, and don't care about the R1 booklet and Manga card, the R0 is the superior release.

Everything the R1 has (except completely different booklet) plus:

Unaltered audio

44 page booklet with plenty of sketches, merchandise pics, and tons of info if you can read it. I can't, but the cel and original drawing pics more than make up for it.

An entire forth disc with extras not on the R1 including:

Unmatted Episode Six

Period interview with Noriko Hidaka and Rei Sakuma

Two segments of Episode five in unfinished form

Several ads for the show

Indepth line art gallery profiling Characters, Mecha, and Aliens

Etc.

A nice postcard featuring Noriko on the beach (just a thought, anyone recieved their R1 manga card yet? It occurs to me that they may be one and the same)

Packaging featuring a lot more classic art than the R1. Most of the great standby pieces are here. If you prefer Mikimoto's old stuff, it's way better. Not that I dislike the R1 (though why did they use a Kaiyodo instead of their own superior SOC? I can only assume the pic was taken before its completion).

If I'm following this correctly:

- The R2 is a clone of the R0 with subtitles

- The R2 has all of the extra feature the R0 does (if its a clone)

- The R0 is the truest copy video and music wise

- The R0 has the greatest amount of extra features

- The R1 has some changes to the music and cuts.

- The R1 has the best subtitles

IS THIS CORRECT?

So the best of both worlds is to loop the R1 subs on the R0 or R2 release?

Thanks for the help in clearing this up.

I don't want to sound stupid or anything, but what do you guys mean by "Unmatted Episode Six". what is the difference?

The unmatted sixth episode is nothing more than a cropped version of that episode. The episode was shot in its original 35mm context, but the producers felt that they could convey a vastly more dramatic effect by giving it a 'letterboxed' feel. This is also why the episode was done in black and white. The producers were trying to emulate the period feeling of past war movies as they remembered them growing up. If you were to watch the two episodes side by side, you would actually see how much more the emotional effect of the story is given by this faked cinematic feel.

You mean uncropped episode.

Basicall, it's an early version before they matted it to widescreen. You can seen unfinished artwork and so on. My favorite probably being Noiko and Jung having no legs when they sit at the captain's table (they'd be cut off in the fininshed version so there was no need to draw them.)

The ending is also somewhat different. It doesn't go to color, and the Earth isn't shown over the credits (so that was probably a last minute decision). Like Noriko said though, it's pretty cool to se3e how certain decisions like that can alter the feel of something. I remember a guy blowing up about how they'd ruined it by changing the ending (Digital Panic released the unmatted version first, propting this guy to think it had supplanted the widescreen version, apparrently, he didn't notice the incomplete animation :rolleyes:) It took me several posts to get it through to him that it was an extra.

The unmatted version is probably the most significant extra on the R0 not on the R1. The episode five segments are pretty cool too.

Newtype's review was mildly okay. It's rather pedestrian though. Ever since the EoE scandal, they've perputually neutered them. At least they're right abot the "True Classic" part. They did screw up and claim that Maga released it twice on VHS. Never heard of USR, I take it...?

You can win it in their contest this month. Though I greatly disagree that the R1 is "the ultimate version released yet!". The R0 is (they're probably unaware of it, or discounting it on lack of subs). Not counting that, some would argue that the US Renditions version is, thanks to episode one (which is more ultimate? unaltered music but so-so subtitles/good sutitles, but altered music?). Though I'm sure they'd discount that on the fact of DVD alone...

The ending is also somewhat different. It doesn't go to color, and the Earth isn't shown over the credits

Then how is the ending portrayed in the unmatted version. What do they show instead of the earth?

My copy arrived just a bit ago. About the change in music... really, what they used isn't out of place at all. It doesn't distract from my enjoyment of the episode one bit. Its not Greedo shooting first by any means.

Edited by Duke Togo

I would gladly go pick this set up after work, but I can't find it ANYWHERE. Best Buy isn't carrying it, Target isn't carrying it, and most importantly not even the local Suncoast which usually gets virtually every anime title! :wacko: Guess it might be time to wipe the dust off of my Best Buy.com account...

Jason, do you know of anywhere here in Omaha to pick it up?

My copy arrived just a bit ago. About the change in music... really, what they used isn't out of place at all. It doesn't distract from my enjoyment of the episode one bit. Its not Greedo shooting first by any means.

I don't mind the music change either, the track they took from Diebuster works quite well in my opinion (for those who have the soundtrack it's 11 - "Vansetto") I still would have prefered the original track but be honest I'm glad to finally have a decent copy of Gunbuster instead of that rubbish vhs rip brought out here ages ago.

Edited by Valkyrie Nut

I was under the impression that it was an edited version of track eleven of Sounde Collection. It seems to match my memory of it. Diebuster tracks sound completely different.

It may not be Geedo getting a shot off, but it's almost as senseless. What with all the unaltered releases and lack of explanation and all. :wacko:

It makes me onder if they'd exclude the track if they ever released the score here. :ph34r:

I have no cash to pick it up myself today (thank the R0 for that). I probably won't until all contests to win it are over.

It may not be Geedo getting a shot off, but it's almost as senseless.

Still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't really effect the scene at all. After all this build up about it, all these people complaining, it turned out to be a huge non-event.

I was under the impression that it was an edited version of track eleven of Sounde Collection. It seems to match my memory of it. Diebuster tracks sound completely different.

Hmm... *Listens to Gunbuster OST*

You are correct, my bad. They do sound virtually identical though...

Well, I searched high and low for it also ands found it nowhere. I checked 4 Best Buys in my area, plus a Saturday Matinee, FYE, and 2 Circuit Cities which I know carry anime and no one had it. There's an anime specialty shop in Baltimore which doesn't have it either. So, I asked a guy at Best Buy in Annapolis who seemed to have some sense and he told me the DVD release has been pushed back to the end of March. I do not know if this is true or not, but it is the only answer I have gotten for the moment. And if it is true, it sucks.

Track 11, "Start Of Military Operations M-13" is what they used? They used battle music for Noriko's training scene?

considering they shipped out their initial stock well before the street date eariler this month, it's doubtful that it got pushed back. Perhaps Best Buy's ordering people are just slow to snag honeamise titles.

The Fry's by me has had 2 copies for a week now, but they wouldn't sell it until today. Of all the times for them to actually pay attention to the street date on an anime title...

So I stop by before work on the 20th (around 3pm)... and they're sold out :angry:

Looks like I'll be hitting up the area Best Buy stores today, even though they're a bit more expensive ($57 vs. Frys' $50)