The Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread v2.0

Noriko Takaya

It's not so much that the boobs are too big, as the ass isn't proportional to the boobs. This model makes her look like she's got too flat of an ass. If they were going to go overboard, they should have gone all the way.

To be fair, the Koto and Bome heavily accentuate her ass. Nice to see an episode 6 Noriko.

Hmm...

Boobs, drugs and robots.

I need to stop mopping and watch Gunbuster!

A quick question though:

I have seen and totally love the SOC Gunbuster which is sadly not easy to get my hands on..

But I also like the Dix Neuf which apparently is also part of Gunbuster lore? Is there anything bigger than the Revoltech Dix Neuf out there?

Pete

There was a Dix Neuf figure made at one time. It's a bit bigger than the Revoltech.

Stop hatin' on Diebuster, it was quite awesome in its own right.

I don't hate it. I just don't like it as much as Gunbuster... the fact that the bot designs are abysmal don't help any. Would help though, if I can also appreciate the character designs in DB, but... I don't. :lol:

I don't hate it. I just don't like it as much as Gunbuster... the fact that the bot designs are abysmal don't help any. Would help though, if I can also appreciate the character designs in DB, but... I don't. :lol:

This from the guy with the Gurren Lagann avatar. :rolleyes: Oh well, different strokes for different folks I guess.

I feel exactly the same way. <_<DB was F'UGLY, from beginning to end. And do not get me wrong I adored GB but DB ... crap dudes I felt my brain cells die... so painful to watch until the end. The beauty of Noriko and Kazumi was completely lost, at least try to make the newer girls worth our time to watch!

Also I can understand and respect the need to try something new for a newer generation, but seriously the mecha and character designs were simply UGLY and the animation was painful to watch (fight sequences in particular looked like crap). It is one thing to pay tribute to a classic but I certainly did not feel they pushed the envelope involving any of the important qualities: plot, character development, fluid animation, music, character and mecha designs. It really is hard to TOP let alone improve on the classic! ;)

Just my ten cents.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I liken GunBuster and Diebuster to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross.

The originals were loved, and the ones that came after were good in their own right, but for different reasons that the first. They don't have a whole lot to do with each other, but the threads that tie them together, and the Easter Eggs, etc, are cool if you liked the original. They both have "HOLY SH-" moments that tie back to the originals, but aren't meant to out do what came before.

I like Diebuster, I think the original is better, but I'm ok with it for what it is. The ending was awesome, as was the reveal in ep 4 with the Space Monsters.

I didn't like much gunbuster overall. (PLEASE, JUST MY OPINION:)

1 ep: boring

2 ep: boring

3 ep: boring

4 ep: the gunbuster launch = good

5 ep: gattai/inazuma kick = v. good

6 ep: ending =great!

Besides those 3 scenes the rest isn't that great at all. Actually i skiped ep. 2, 3, 4 and watched 5 already, then i liked it and had to watch the rest, for the sake of understanting the story.

Actually i just watched because it had Mikimoto and Miyatake in the middle.

I didn't like much gunbuster overall. (PLEASE, JUST MY OPINION:)

1 ep: boring

2 ep: boring

3 ep: boring

4 ep: the gunbuster launch = good

5 ep: gattai/inazuma kick = v. good

6 ep: ending =great!

Besides those 3 scenes the rest isn't that great at all. Actually i skiped ep. 2, 3, 4 and watched 5 already, then i liked it and had to watch the rest, for the sake of understanting the story.

Actually i just watched because it had Mikimoto and Miyatake in the middle.

Thou art not allowed in this thread any longer. :D

I feel exactly the same way. <_<DB was F'UGLY, from beginning to end. And do not get me wrong I adored GB but DB ... crap dudes I felt my brain cells die... so painful to watch until the end. The beauty of Noriko and Kazumi was completely lost, at least try to make the newer girls worth our time to watch!

Also I can understand and respect the need to try something new for a newer generation, but seriously the mecha and character designs were simply UGLY and the animation was painful to watch (fight sequences in particular looked like crap). It is one thing to pay tribute to a classic but I certainly did not feel they pushed the envelope involving any of the important qualities: plot, character development, fluid animation, music, character and mecha designs. It really is hard to TOP let alone improve on the classic! ;)

Just my ten cents.

Gainax has been pretty lazy the last 7 or 8 years, don't you think? All these sequels and remakes (except Gurren Laggan) just scream complacency to me. And this from the studio that made Gunbuster, Nadia and NGE.

Gainax has been pretty lazy the last 7 or 8 years, don't you think? All these sequels and remakes (except Gurren Laggan) just scream complacency to me. And this from the studio that made Gunbuster, Nadia and NGE.

What are you talking about, Mahoromatic was awesome, Abenobashi was pretty good as well. And while RE.Cutie Honey & the live action Cutie Honey movie technically do count as remakes, they too were very well done.

• 2 months later...
Those of you with gay Facebook pages like mine please join my fan page. Go to Facebook and search for The "Aim For the Top! Gunbuster" Fan Appreciation Page. I need fans. Thank you very much.

I have a FB page just to protect from identity theft and nothing else but for Gunbuster, i'll do it! And done.

• 3 months later...

I recently purchased 2 boxes of the Gunbuster trading cards. Was it just luck that I was able to complete the standard 135 card set with just 1 box, or is that pretty typical. I was also able to get 2 of the 4 foil cards. I was left with about 13 duplicates from the 1 box. I am debating if I should even open the 2nd box. If it is pretty reasonable to think I can complete a 2nd set of the standard 135 cards with the 2nd box I might do it and give to my brother as a gift. What do you guys think? Open the 2nd box or keep it sealed? Part of me wants to open it just to see if I can find any more foil cards. :)

I recently purchased 2 boxes of the Gunbuster trading cards. Was it just luck that I was able to complete the standard 135 card set with just 1 box, or is that pretty typical. I was also able to get 2 of the 4 foil cards. I was left with about 13 duplicates from the 1 box. I am debating if I should even open the 2nd box. If it is pretty reasonable to think I can complete a 2nd set of the standard 135 cards with the 2nd box I might do it and give to my brother as a gift. What do you guys think? Open the 2nd box or keep it sealed? Part of me wants to open it just to see if I can find any more foil cards. :)

I'd say give it a shot as those foil cards are kind of hard to come by just by themselves. And I had the whole collection minus one foil card with just one box.

I'm missing a few cards myself, and Jung-Freud is my only foil card.

I think I'll open the 2nd box tonight. If I get any more duplicates I will post which card numbers I have extra. You are welcome to have any extras that you might need.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, and I won this cel on YJ a few weeks ago. :D

emeraudehokkaido-img600x450-1271659.jpg

Wow! that cel is bloody awesome. How much did you pay for that sucker?

Someone on the Eva mailing list today made issue of a Gunbuster Pachinko game.

http://www.pachinkovista.com/pfactory/model.php?nid=18037&dsp=0

According to Japanator (http://www.japanator.com/rumor-gainax-and-evangelion-remakes-splitting-up--15139.phtml), a twitter post by a Gainax member months ago suggested that Anno was not pleased by it, and goes on to claim that it's driving Khara and Gainax apart and that Gainax may collapse because of it. Apparently the only marit is that it appears some of the those responsible for merchandising have left.

I find this a bit alarmist though, given the guy's rather speculative news writeup:

http://revolutionofevangelion.org/rumor-khara-splitting-from-gainax-if-so-gainax-collapse-likely/

The thing that I find funny is the guy's absurd assertion that what set Gunbuster apart was that "it was never merchandised". While he's right in the beginning of the article that it wasn't like shows like Gundam, where a toy company was footing the bill, I think we can all be fairly certain that, while not at Eva levels, Gunbuster spawned quite a number of knick-knacks both in the past and now. He even acknowledges this while talking about the show that toys were made. Yet by the time he starts mentioning the game, he's gone from the correct "Gunbuster wasn't merchandised as much" to the ridiculously wrong "never merchandised" statement. That Gunbuster is "pure and unsullied" and made solely for the art of it. The numerous Noriko figures and 200 dollar transforming Buster machine staring back at me this moment greatly agrees with this observation. So it sounds like the guy either knows quite little of Gunbuster, as he assumes his audience is, never heard of General products, or he is just using it to justify why Anno might be supposedly upset over a slot game (I'd say it would be more about using his name than Gunbuster) and to stir stuff up. It's just ridiculous to come down on Gainax for "finally doing something they claimed they'd never do", that it "represented the time where Gainax wasn't just about the money", when it could be said that Gunbuster was their first real commercial smash, with model kits to prove it. Not to mention spawning two extra episodes, a sequel and movie adaptation. How he missed this is rather odd. :lol:

Hell considering that this apparently happened 5 months ago, and that the Japantor article is also a month old, I can't help but feel sorry for his readers.

In related news, GUNBUSTER PACHINKO GAME! Shame it's probably not as awesome as the Macross one with all the new animation.

Good luck on the card hunt. I have all of one pack of those cards for some sad reason.

I think Hideaki Anno was all along annoyed with the EVA weirdo fanboys (weird by Hideaki Anno's standards), he probably drew the line at endorsing gambling too and that pachinko deal (think of gambling Gunbuster weirdo fanboys) was probably the straw that broke the camel's back. Also, if one were to compare Gunbuster's merchandizing history to Evangelion's overkill on the non-canon stuff... I'd say Gunbuster is still relatively "pure and unsullied".

Hideaki Anno himself, however, had by the release of The End of Evangelion finale movie in 1997 become so utterly disgusted with the otaku (anime fan) subculture he once embraced, that he abandoned anime altogether for live-action projects (after a brief stint on His and Her Circumstances). The suspicion is that the hordes of fanboys who liked the show for all the wrong, shallow reasons, really bothered Anno. That is, fanboys who buy action figures/statuettes of Rei Ayanami dressed in geisha outfits and slobber over them, that kind of thing — the kind of creeps who watch the show muted, and think Rei and Asuka want to date them. The merchandising just fueled their addiction (they’re like the crazy fanboy in Satoshi Kon’s film “Perfect Blue“). Without Hideaki Anno, Gainax still charged ahead in their newfound status as a “major studio”, and churned out other hits like FLCL, Gurren Lagann, etc.

True, it's not Eva. Though I'd say Nadia has far less merchandise related to it. Same with some of their newer titles, to say nothing of stuff like Otaku no Video. Gunbuster has a decent amount of stuff out there. So I merely take issue with the claim turning from "barely merchandised" into "never merchandised", as he basically uses that strawman argument to paint it as representing something so opposite from what he's debasing and to then trash on Gainax for "finally selling out" on something they'd long since been selling out on. :lol: Though I suppose the point is moot since his reply to the list. Really, outside of Eva, they've marketed their shows really no differently from any other studio. Hell, I'd take bigger issue with Kyo-ani's trolling of Haruhi with the Endless Eight debacle than Gainax's overselling of Eva. B)) Not to mention that this is mostly hearsay and conjecture anyway, along with the part you bolded. He's even said this is just what he assumes, so I guess the point's moot. I'm not sure Anno has ever come out on how he feels about marketing. His exasperations with fans are well known, but those are usually over the psychological aspects of the show taking over.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

• 2 weeks later...