Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

I like Jetfire's fighter mode - from the cockpit aft.

The nose on the fighter mode has to be one of the ugliest things I have ever seen - it's like an unholy hyrid of a Phantom and a Super Sabre, without the charm of either. I'm quite fond of his humanoid mode, with the wings folded down Valk-stylee rather than the recommended wings-up which I think looks ungainly. The secondary head under the main head is quite good as well - a nice homage to the comic Jetfire head design. Not so keen on the primary head because of the long "axles" the head lasers are mounted on.

It's a bit of a mixed bag really. More good than bad though, and for a £20 toy it's fairly decent. Much more value for the money than the £20 classics Prime. But other folks mileage may vary.

Karl

Exactly. Guys put it this way, energon ironhide was $20, do you think he was worth that much? Compared to other recent $20 transformers, Jetfire is worth it.

I didn't buy any Energon/Armada/Cybertron toys, so I wouldn't know. Jetfire just wasn't as good as I was expecting. That's all. People were raving about it and I was disappointed. Just my opinion. It should be noted that prior to Classics the only TF that I had purchased since the early 90s was Masterpiece Optimus, so I may have been expecting too much.

Edited by meh_cd

Much more value for the money than the £20 classics Prime. But other folks mileage may vary.

Karl

There I gotta disagree with. The classics prime looks great in both alt modes and has a well thought out transformation. I suppose when I judge a transformer it's less play value and more does it visually appeal to me. Prime does, classics Jetfire, not really.

I never got Classics Starscream or Prime yet, so the dual pack ultra magnus and skywarp was a good deal for me. They both cost the same price as one Prime, and they're exactly the same except for different paintjobs. ;)

UM is pretty awesome. I like. Skywarp is kinda floppy in bot mode, and the fighter mode has an ugly hole in its chest with a bad side profile. Urgh.

I skipped Classics Prime and SS, to wait for the 2-pack. Will probably get it when I see it--have to see what color Skywarp really is in person. (I know that purple just doesn't photograph well---especially plastic---photographing purple legos is impossible, they'll look either pink or blue)

Has anyone in the bay area seen Classics Jetfire yet? I still haven't seen a single one and I haven't gotten desperate enough to pay an inflated price on ebay.

I saw quite a few before Christmas. I haven't seen any this year but I'm sure that'll change once inventory season is over. Fry's may have it.

I skipped Classics Prime and SS, to wait for the 2-pack. Will probably get it when I see it--have to see what color Skywarp really is in person. (I know that purple just doesn't photograph well---especially plastic---photographing purple legos is impossible, they'll look either pink or blue)

The parts molded in purple are a tad bright(not as bright as shown in online pics) and the parts that are painted purple are dark. He is more solid and tighter than starscream, and his face is actually PAINTED...which is a good thing. Starscream looks cheap against him, the face makes a world of difference!

Holy crap - the world is turned upsidedown.

Movie Starscream's toys are licensed Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor merchandise.

Fast Action Battler Starscream (simple, chunky kids toy).

I mean WTF?

I hope the Deluxe-class Starscream isn't crap.

The voyager focuses on the robot mode, the FAB epitomies...actually I don't know what the hell that thing epitomizes, so I think the deluxe starscream may actually have the sleekest fighter mode as well as having a more movie accurate, ungimmickified robot mode.

Voyager Starscream is also being repainted in blue and grey as thundercracker, which I think will look better than the desert sand color he currently has/.

Skywarp sports a glossy black and dark purple. It really looks good. I just felt abit disappointed with fighter mode cuz all the promotional shots of him in fighter mode cleverly hide the ugly bulky chest in fighter mode. :(

Skywarp sports a glossy black and dark purple. It really looks good. I just felt abit disappointed with fighter mode cuz all the promotional shots of him in fighter mode cleverly hide the ugly bulky chest in fighter mode. :(

Thats my main gripe with the mold too. That and lacking functional landing gear.

For what its worth, its not as bad as movie starscream in both categories.

Me---my Target has so many Prime/Megs 2-packs clogging the shelf there's not room for Skywarp/Magnus even if they have it---just checked today.

Same here. And my Targets have such a small Transformers section that it really looks like they're trying to get rid of it entirely.

Toyfare interviews Hasbro's Director of Marketing (and frequent Botcon Hasbro panelist) Greg Lombardo about the movie toyline, including some great photos of Leader Class Optimus Prime. He appears to have rubber tires.

Clicky

Mirrored pics at TFW2005.com

Thanks to Type-R of www.tfw2005.com for the link.

I'll say the same thing I did when I saw those pics of Prime at TFW2005: Goddamit, I'm sold.

All he needs is a large fuel tanker trailer with a mural of him burning down a forest.

Edited by Fit For Natalie