Transformers Super Thread 4: The Return

Dangard Ace

Nice decal sheet. For whatever reason, one of the things I always looked forward too was applying decals. Kind of takes me back to when I built models as a kid...I enjoyed taking the time to pay attention to detail and fine placement. Gonna be hard to decide which insignias to put on him whenever I get him. :)

I hate how Devastator doesn't have real hands, just weird claw-like things.

I always hated those Energon combiners. Repainting the same figure for the different limbs is so lame that I can't even enjoy the newer more G-1 paintjobs. I guess that repaint is an indication that there will be no original Classics Davastator, just like the Soundwave reissue is an indicator that there will be no original Classics Soundwave.

In a way the Classics line is kind of depressing. For as great as it is, it's kind of like the last hurrah before the TF toyline is dessimated by movie merchandising. Hopefully they'll keep doing classic style figures along with the mollusks from the film.

Bruticus Maximus from the Energon line was actually pretty ok, at least in terms of toy design and overall appearance of the gestalt. But I also wasn't entirely fond of the fact that there wasn't much difference in terms of individual vehicles for the limbs. Superion Maximus suffers the most from it, I think.

In a way the Classics line is kind of depressing. For as great as it is, it's kind of like the last hurrah before the TF toyline is dessimated by movie merchandising. Hopefully they'll keep doing classic style figures along with the mollusks from the film.

Speaking of which:

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=242&itemid=10290

Photobucket's not responding so i had to post the link. Click it! :wacko:

The Energon combiner individual figures were nice, but it was pretty stupid to just have 2 types of limbs. If there were 4 distinct molds, they'd have been GREAT. It also would have helped the hands and feet a lot---it was pretty clear there was a "preferred" mode for each hand/foot part, for both the robot itself and the clear "energon" piece. It was pretty hard to get a decent pair of hands.

I actually made a sorta-Bruticus using Barricade, 2 Combaticons, a Constructicon, and an Aerialbot. Looked better than any "official" combination.

Hasbro made the combiners on their own as a last-minute addition to the line. They ran out of time and money so they could not do 5 distinct toys and made do with 3 + 2 doubles for each team.

Originally, the 5-bot combiner team was not going to be in Energon until people pestered Aaron Archer day and night on his old forum, it seems.

How much did they cost?

Thx in advance mate.

:ph34r:

The boxed Meg's and Opty were 24.99 and the other guys on the blister cards are going for 12.99.

Fry's is selling them for a couple bucks extra (than normal stores), but I had to get my TF fix.....

Edited by DeeLux

yep Prime and Meg here at the FRY's in oregon is 24.99 each, and the Deluxe Figures are 12.99 each.....Wave 2 looks pretty nifty, but I wish they'd give Cliffjumper a different headsculpt and not just another repaint. But Wave 2 will be on my want list when they come out.

I saw the 6" Titanium WW Megatron on tformers.com. Anyone else see it? It looks pretty cool.

I saw it too, I wonder why they even made the first 6" Titanium "tank" Megatron when they could have released the WW Megatron with WW Optimus Prime? I ready on TF.com that Don Figueroa was disappointed with WW Prime that the 2-pack Prime vs. Megatron will be corrected.

The boxed Meg's and Opty were 24.99 and the other guys on the blister cards are going for 12.99.

Fry's is selling them for a couple bucks extra (than normal stores), but I had to get my TF fix.....

Thanks for the info. $12.99 for the deluxes? WTF? Guess I am gonna wait until Wal-Mart gets 'em in Nov ...

<_<

Thanks for the info. $12.99 for the deluxes? WTF? Guess I am gonna wait until Wal-Mart gets 'em in Nov ...

<_<

Fry's is an electronics store so the $3 mark-up isn't too suprising. They don't have the toy sales volume of Wal-Mart and such. I picked up Starscream at the Fremont, CA store today on my way to work (1/2 mile out of my way). I don't mind paying the extra $3 since it saves me time and gas in the long run.

The jet mode from the top is perfect. I really like the new markings. There is a seat in that pilotpit. The jet profile certainly isn't sleek but it is much better than the Armada or Energon versions. The transformation is much more complex than the G1 version and is a lot of fun. The whole nose section of the plane rotates and turns around during transformation. Very novel. The bot mode is great too. It really evokes the feeling of an updated classic. The articulation is pretty good, however the wings get in the way of the arms and the nosecone gets in the way of the head. The hips on mine are really lose. I can fix that with a little nail polish or superglue.

I know a $3 mark up doesn't seem like too much - but when you buy 3 figures, the additional costs add up mate!! Frig!!

<_<

tell me about it, thats why (othar than the Meg's and Opty) I just picked up Starscream and Rodimus. I'll pick up the others at retail.

I just had to get that "quick high" without splurging and then skipping some meals :blink:

I saw it too, I wonder why they even made the first 6" Titanium "tank" Megatron when they could have released the WW Megatron with WW Optimus Prime? I ready on TF.com that Don Figueroa was disappointed with WW Prime that the 2-pack Prime vs. Megatron will be corrected.

Presumebly (since he designs the concept for the figures) Don wanted to do the GI Joe Vs TF Megs first and had a relatively elaborate toy in mind with rubber treads.

The Titaniums are done in-house by Hasbro's Galoob division, apparently.

I know a $3 mark up doesn't seem like too much - but when you buy 3 figures, the additional costs add up mate!! Frig!!

<_<

Exactly. The $12.99 and $24.99 prices on 'em at Fry's was a little too steep considering not all of them are that worthy.

If I can't wait on Walmart or Target prices, I might just get Starscream and Megs.

<_<

The markup saved me money. I was tempted by Hotrod and Bumblebee but didn't want to pay an additional $3. By the time these show up at Wal-Mart the hype will have probably dies down which will make it easier for to talk myself out of the others. The Skywarp & Magnus pack will be very tempting since Skywarp is my favorite Seeker and this mold is nice.

Mine just arrived from big bad toystore. I have to say this is one of the coolest TFer lines released in a long time. They may not be on the same level as BT's or alts quality/engineering wise, but they're not supposed to be. They have really fun transformations that are involved and complex without being overwealmingly frustrating or fidgety.

It's hard to pick a favorite, but I can say my two least favorites are AstroTrain and megs, I don't like Astrotrain's alt modes at all, though his bot mode is nice, and megs looks kind of lame in both modes, but the others in the line are all fantastic.

Picked up Classics Prime today. He's definately the most well thought-out, fun to transform, not to mention best looking Prime, this side of MP Prime. I could do without the arm kibble, but aside from that he's pure love.

[attachmentid=37132][attachmentid=37133]

post-430-1160158799_thumb.jpg

post-430-1160158811_thumb.jpg

Just got back from Washington today and was seein a friend on my return and he let me borrow his Classic Prime to see if it's something I really wanna get and I must say he's rather nifty.

I was originally a bit iffy on the headsculpt mostly due to the fact his "ears" slant, and wasn't sure on the detail but I actually like this new head sculpt more then I like Alt Primes.

He is a rather intertesting Prime figure, at first he looked a bit childish like a preschool toy, but I'm easily growing attatched to him and might hide it from my buddy and never give it back :p

Articulation is great, posability is rather good, he's got a great center of gravity and he's not at all heavy in any odd place. The transformation can get a tad confusing at first but easy to get use too after a few attempts then becomes second nature.

I wish his smoke stacks/gun barrel, were a bit better, it looks good from behind in vehicle mode but when looking at it from the front it's a tad dissapointing they didn't try to make it the same color atleast......his Ion cannon is rather cool too, also the fact he has a third weapon when turning the Ion cannon 180 on his back, and putting his smoke stacks on the holes on the bottom of the ion cannon and he's got shoulder mounted cannons.

I'm really interested to see how the second wave is gonna turn out.