Voltron DVD's

David Hingtgen

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting info. BestBuy has the "blue lion" set in their circular for coming out on this Tuesday, most places say the 26th. Then it seems in 2007 they're releasing the actual Japanese series subbed. But the description for the blue lion set says both English and Japanese language...

Can anybody put all of this straight?

What's coming out this fall is the American Voltron, English language only. (Voltron is like RT, a combination of seperate shows). Next year, the original Go Lion and Dairugger XV are coming out in their original Japanese language. The "dual language" you're seeing is probably just somebody who posted the ad incorrectly.

If the dual language claims are correct, it would have to be something like Rhino's release of Battle of the Planets or the good olf Robotech: Perfect Collection tapes from Streamline, two episodes of the dub with the two counterpart Japanese episodes, totally seperate.

I do think it's a typo, as the Australian releases from Madman Entertainment of both Lion and Vehicle Voltron on DVD last year were English only.

I just checked the Best Buy ad online. It has it listed as $22.99 in my area. I wonder if this is the regular edition or the collectors edition? I know the collector edition comes in a cool metal case, not sure of the other differences though.

As a sidenote: If Voltron came out dual-language, a large part of it would be english-only anyways.

World Event Productions commissioned several new episodes of Golion/Lion Voltron exclusively for the US market, essentially doubling the series length.

Doesn't World Events retains some rights to Albegas AKA Gladiator Voltron? Any plans for that series?

Not terribly sure about this, but I think I remember reading over on the voltron forums, that WEP no longer holds the rights to Albegas. Would be interesting to see it though. I am anxious for GoLion and Dairugger. Both are set to come out next year on dvd.

• 1 year later...

"Uncut...except for them!" If I didn't have this pre-ordered already, I'd be pre-ordering it now. Definately worth passing up the Voltron sets, though I did pick up that movie last month.

Also worth mentioning, the rest of GaoGaiGar has been comfirmed for this August. We probably still won't get Final, but the rest of the TV series will be in a $30 set.