Food Aboard The Macross

justvinnie

I had actually thought that perhaps they did a lot of things with soy.

426850[/snapback]

Nope, the Macross runs on Spirtia. Minmay was powering the ship.

Proof you ask? When Minmay was singing during the fight against Bodolza notice all the cannons from the Macross firing, the ones that were mysteriously absent in prior engagements? Well, up until then Minmay wasn't producing enough power for those cannons to be firing. During the battle her emotional state became elevated and thus she was able to provide power to all the guns on the Macross.

Edited by Mephistopheles

Didn't Baltar run these numbers?!

Anyways I always figured they used some of the extra space of the Macross plus the land from the island to have fields and grow some crops. Maybe alot of small gardens or something. And they're talking about ways to make synthetic meat now - maybe in Macross-universe they got that down.

Besides, according to the Compedium the longest they went without restocking was 8 months - Feb to Oct when they hit Mars. If the Galactica could pull it off with all their emo bs I'm sure the Macross could last!

Anyways I always figured they used some of the extra space of the Macross plus the land from the island to have fields and grow some crops.  Maybe alot of small gardens or something.  And they're talking about ways to make synthetic meat now - maybe in Macross-universe they got that down.

Besides, according to the Compedium the longest they went without restocking was 8 months - Feb to Oct when they hit Mars.  If the Galactica could pull it off with all their emo bs I'm sure the Macross could last!

427169[/snapback]

Exactly dude!!! Fields of soy!

Anyways I always figured they used some of the extra space of the Macross plus the land from the island to have fields and grow some crops.  Maybe alot of small gardens or something.  And they're talking about ways to make synthetic meat now - maybe in Macross-universe they got that down.

Besides, according to the Compedium the longest they went without restocking was 8 months - Feb to Oct when they hit Mars.  If the Galactica could pull it off with all their emo bs I'm sure the Macross could last!

427169[/snapback]

427187[/snapback]

And Vats of Steak!

427169[/snapback]

427187[/snapback]

And Vats of Steak!

427328[/snapback]

Just imagine how many people a single dead Zentradi could feed...

This is kiind of morbid don't you think? Talking about eating dead Zentradi? Ewwwww, the steak you could be eating could be Zentradi backside, you just ate someone's butt!! Granted the same could be said about the cows we use, but we don't interact or treat them like people, eating Zentradi is almost borderline cannibalism don't you think?

This is kiind of morbid don't you think? Talking about eating dead Zentradi? Ewwwww, the steak you could be eating could be Zentradi backside, you just ate someone's butt!! Granted the same could be said about the cows we use, but we don't interact or treat them like people, eating Zentradi is almost borderline cannibalism don't you think?

427645[/snapback]

Given that humans and Zentradi are related closely enough to interbreed it is cannibalism. Besides I'm told that human flesh is more like pork than beef, so Hayo's steak couldn't have been Zentradi. Cloned beef grown in a vat (not even a whole cow just the muscle tissue) is my bet.

Cloned "meat" would look and taste nothing like real meat. It lwould ack the vascular substructure of real meat. Instead it is just composed of one type of cell clumped together...

vinnie

427645[/snapback]

Given that humans and Zentradi are related closely enough to interbreed it is cannibalism. Besides I'm told that human flesh is more like pork than beef, so Hayo's steak couldn't have been Zentradi. Cloned beef grown in a vat (not even a whole cow just the muscle tissue) is my bet.

427692[/snapback]

More Zentran steak ???s -

Would the muscle fibers of a dead Zentradi be proportionally bigger? That would be one tough bite, even if you go the tenderloin. I suppose on a cellular structure, muscle cells can only be so big, so maybe the Zentran muscle strands wouldn't be so big. Otherwise, we'd be stuck with Zentran hot dogs and other processed luncheon meats.

Maybe someone who's eaten whale can chime in :p

427645[/snapback]

427692[/snapback]

Actually, it could just be uncomfortably close to cannibalism.

We don't know that zentradi and homo sapiens are the same species, just REAL close.

Since there aren't any second-generation hybrids in the continuity yet, it's still possible that human-zentran pairings are like horse-donkey pairings, or lion-tiger pairings. Close enough to have a kid, but distant enough that said kid will be sterile. The capacity to create fertile offspring is usually considered a major marker for species delineation.

• 3 weeks later...

As for Ben eating a steak, I don't know if you could take that one situation and assume steak was readily avaliable, even on Earth. I mean in preparation for war, there must have been some serious widespread stockpiling and rationing going on, even on Earth.

I'd figure military personnel, particularly the pilots, would be given preferential rations and access. If they are out risking their lives (particularly the Destroid guys) can't see how it would hurt to make sure they got a little more meat or ice cream or booze to keep their morale up. In fact, it might have been a real recruiting incentive for the ship i.e. if you serve, your life, and maybe the life of your family if they made it there from a shelter, aboard the ship might be a little better, even if that life is probably going to be really short.

Even Hikaru's quarters in DYRL seems pretty nice...

Even Hikaru's quarters in DYRL seems pretty nice...

I'm sure that there was no thought given to the presence of the steak. We're talking about a world where people enlist in the military at age 16, become a fighter pilot with high-school level education, become a fighter pilot of an extremely complex machine in a few months, start out at the rank of Sgt and get promoted and comissioned to Ensign in one day.

We give a lot of thought to the presence of a steak and very little thought to how structure that wasn't designed to be in space managed to allow its occupants to survive, no heat and no air. Then they build a city big enough to house 50,000 people in a section of the ship that was unused for no apparant reason. The steak's presence falls in line with why the Zentran and humans feel they need to fight at point blank range in space.

I'm sure that there was no thought given to the presence of the steak. We're talking about a world where people enlist in the military at age 16, become a fighter pilot with high-school level education, become a fighter pilot of an extremely complex machine in a few months, start out at the rank of Sgt and get promoted and comissioned to Ensign in one day.

We give a lot of thought to the presence of a steak and very little thought to how structure that wasn't designed to be in space managed to allow its occupants to survive, no heat and no air. Then they build a city big enough to house 50,000 people in a section of the ship that was unused for no apparant reason. The steak's presence falls in line with why the Zentran and humans feel they need to fight at point blank range in space.

Oh sure, just take ALL the fun out of it why don't 'cha? :p Just kiddin'. Good points, actually

Edited by mister_e

maybe because it's more fun to watch your enemies blow up really close than really far away?

Well considering we don't know if the Macross was carrying a full compliment of pilots or how many died in the first few weeks of hostilities. That could be simply a matter of necessary survival. If a teen has the aptitude to operate the aircraft, "sign him up!" Under any other circumstances it would be impossible for them to join until they were of age.

We give a lot of thought to the presence of a steak and very little thought to how structure that wasn't designed to be in space managed to allow its occupants to survive, no heat and no air. Then they build a city big enough to house 50,000 people in a section of the ship that was unused for no apparant reason.

You are referring to what exaclty? The Macross was a space ship, hence the plan to merge with the ARMD 1 & 2 carriers. The whole city section could be attributed to dramatic license since I could speculate why it was empty, but it would be a speculation.

The steak's presence falls in line with why the Zentran and humans feel they need to fight at point blank range in space.

We see no long range missile capability by the Zents, and their energy weapons appear to have a maximum range.

Actually we are never really given any perspective as to at what range the fleet and the Macross engaged each other. We know one thing, that any engaging cruiser had to be within fighter range of the target to launch it's pods and that put them within range of the main canon. Those who got too close would often find themselves on the business end of the Deadalus.

Both long range and close range combat was demonstrated all throughout Macross, so I haven't a clue what either of you are talking about.

The first episode of Macross showed capital ship battles well outside of "visual range." In the first episode of SDF Macross, the SDF-1 Macross automated defense system activiated the main guns and fired upon two Zentradi capitals ships at a distance of almost one light second (Misa's dialogue in the anime specifically states the ships were struck at a range of 280,000 kilometers; one light second being 300,000 km).

Then the further engagements show both UN Spacy and Zentradi capitals ships firing missiles then we see a scene where none of the the attacking ships are visible, but missiles come flying out of the darkness from their direction and rocket toward the opposing targets.

In Mecha battles, DYRL's opening battle shows squadrons of VF-1's firing missiles at oncoming Zentradi forces beyond visual range. The missile trails streak off into space and disappear, only to be followed by massive explosions in the distance seconds later.

The only thing we don't know absolutely for certain about missile ranges in Macross is Zentradi mecha scale missile range. We never actually see a Zentradi Fighters launch their side firing missiles outside of visual range nor or Regults with Light/Heavy Launchers using them for long range firing. However, given the proven capabiltiy of Zentradi capital ships to fire both energy and missile batteries over distances as far as the SDF Macross, it makes sense that Zentradi mecha scale missiles can go just as far as Valkyrie missiles.

TAKE YOUR LOGIC ELSEWHERE SIR! We only take it here in small quantities. :angry:

The only thing we don't know absolutely for certain about missile ranges in Macross is Zentradi mecha scale missile range. We never actually see a Zentradi Fighters launch their side firing missiles outside of visual range nor or Regults with Light/Heavy Launchers using them for long range firing. However, given the proven capabiltiy of Zentradi capital ships to fire both energy and missile batteries over distances as far as the SDF Macross, it makes sense that Zentradi mecha scale missiles can go just as far as Valkyrie missiles.

Agreed with the other good points. As for this paragraph - I speculate that what we are shown is the limits of the individual unit's sensors. Perhaps in conjunction with the sensor Regult (or a capital ship,) they'd be able to shoot accurately at targets over far greater distances. However, it appears that there was ECM active on the battlefield (most likely from the Zentraedi side,) and that is probably the biggest inhibitor to 'over the horizon' fighting - on both sides.

Regarding the food issue... we know the SDF-1 is full of both excess space, and lots of OTEC equipment that is barely understood. Some of that OTEC equipment being the Zentraedi recloning/resizing chambers. Using that technology, the staff of the SDF-1 could input material (biological waste products, other minerals/metal, matter, etc.) and out comes fully cloned wheat, carrots, and a cow or two. Thus, easy access to fresh foodstuffs, with only the energy costs of 'production' needed. ;)

As for the excess space in the SDF-1 - the ship was attacked during it's launching ceremony, right. The ship most likely would've done a short test cruise with a small crew complement, before coming back to port, getting more things mounted on it, and a full crew complement into it. The large size of the spaces were also probably a combination of the giant sized hangar bays of the Zentraedi/Inspection Army, and that when renovating the ship, the humans just ripped out what they deemed unnecessary, in preparation for installing what they felt was necessary - barracks for personnel, internal training areas, etc..

Agreed with the other good points. As for this paragraph - I speculate that what we are shown is the limits of the individual unit's sensors. Perhaps in conjunction with the sensor Regult (or a capital ship,) they'd be able to shoot accurately at targets over far greater distances. However, it appears that there was ECM active on the battlefield (most likely from the Zentraedi side,) and that is probably the biggest inhibitor to 'over the horizon' fighting - on both sides.

Perhaps. But given the extremely powerful radar systems at work in Macross OverTechnology (perhaps the Cyclops systems mentioned in Macross Zero), it's certainly something more exotic. Remember, the booby trap on the Macross was able to utilize it's detection systems to spot the Zentradi's arrival in the Sol system, power up the defense systems for a few minutes, charge the main guns, and fire. When the main gun fire struck the enemy, the Zentradi ships were almost a full light second away. The range of the sensor system is incredible and must be able to detect ships over interplanetary distances. Even more impressive is the speed of the sensor "return" over those vast distances; there appears to be no delay suggesting that the radar systems use superluminal waves of some kind. Conventional ECM as we know it would be useless against such a powerful system, but I suppose the electronic counter measures that OT provides are equally powerful. The Zentradi are shown jamming the Macross sensors on one or two occassions as I recall.

Edited by Mr March

The only thing we know for certain of a limit to the Zentraedi sensors is that they cannot detect greater than just less than 10 light years.

Reason: the Zentraedi arrived (roughly) 10 years after the arrival of the SDF-1. Unlike the Robotech version, where the Zentraedi detect the SDF-1 upon activation, the Macross version Zentraedi simply detect the defold; namely light and the gravity distortions - both of which travel at the speed of light.

Elaborating on this a little, the two Zentraedi ships were dispatched to investigate the SDF-1 a few minutes after the Zentraedi defolded in the Sol system. It is argueable that the SDF-1 was fully aware of them from the moment of defold. It simply waited until they moved into a certain radius (range of the main gun? Range of the Zentraedi ship weapons?) before firing. Thus giving more weight to the arguement that OTEC has super sensors.

Hmmm, not sure I'm following your thinking. The limitations of Zentradi sensors to light speeds would only be true if the Zentradi pursuit fleet was exactly ten light years away from the Sol system at the exact moment the 10th anniversary of the Macross crash occured. That seems extremely unlikely and is by no means any definitive proof.

The time it took the Zentradi forces to find the Macross could have been for any number of reasons. Perhaps multiple folds were involved in the chase. Perhaps the superluminal sensors of OT equipped spacecraft have speed and range limitations of their own. Perhaps the demands of fleet operations in the war were such that a pursuit could not be acted upon until years later. After all, we are talking about a war that's gone on for hundreds of thousands of years over vast distances involving millions of ships.

Agreed, however, from the Macross Compendium:

http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/2009/index.html

(Search on page for: defold reaction from 10 light years )

To clarify, I'm not trying to imply that Zentraedi sensors are limited to the speed of light. What I am saying is that there range is less-than 10 light-years distance.

For all we know, they could use the theorized 'superdimension space communicators' as a means of detection (similar to the Star Trek sub-space communicator.) Anyhow, I don't mean to go further down the debate road on the nature of their sensors - just wish to point out their possible maximum range limitation.

Agreed, however, from the Macross Compendium:

http://macross.anime.net/story/chronology/2009/index.html

(Search on page for: defold reaction from 10 light years )

To clarify, I'm not trying to imply that Zentraedi sensors are limited to the speed of light. What I am saying is that there range is less-than 10 light-years distance.

For all we know, they could use the theorized 'superdimension space communicators' as a means of detection (similar to the Star Trek sub-space communicator.) Anyhow, I don't mean to go further down the debate road on the nature of their sensors - just wish to point out their possible maximum range limitation.

Oh, I see what you're saying. So the Zentradi capital ships can detect fold/defold reactions from a range of 10 light years. That's a very cool piece of trivia. Something I did not know until now. Thanks for the link to the compendium. Very cool.

Oh, I see what you're saying. So the Zentradi capital ships can detect fold/defold reactions from a range of 10 light years. That's a very cool piece of trivia. Something I did not know until now. Thanks for the link to the compendium. Very cool.

He said that their sensors are unable to detect things ten light years away of course that is assuming that the Zentradi's position in space was ten light years away. I don't remember them mentioning how far away they were. So there is a chance that they can sense things from more than ten light years away.

To solve for their sensor range you'd have to solve this equation:

zentradi_distance_from_earth / (exact_arrival_time_from_detection - fold_travel_time) = sensor_range