My Custom Chunkie

big F

Sorry guy`s I have been real busy and have not done much work I have nearly finnished an arm. LOL 3 or more weeks for just one arm.

I`ll post some pictures and a bit of an update a soon as I can.

Just wondering if goderator Hurin is going to move this to its proper location.

Yep, it will be pretty soon. The proper location for this will be in among the "locked" threads. If you keep going the way you are going. Get over yourself.

Yep, it will be pretty soon. The proper location for this will be in among the "locked" threads. If you keep going the way you are going. Get over yourself.

*******YAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNN...***********

If a mod locks someone *ELSE'S* thread over me then they have pretty large issues.

Any way, I thought I was on permanent ignore from the mods. Apparently not. Glad they moved it. This is a popular thread and we want it where it's supposed to be.

:)

Oh, and I *AM* over myself. Don't transmit your hatred for the PREVIOUS Skull-1 onto me, sport.

Now back to the discussion.

WHERE ARE THE UPDATES ON THIS MOD MAN? You slacking on us or what?

Edited by Skull-1

Ok without further adoo here is my progress, as I said before I have not had the time to do as much as I would have liked.

The shoulder, I now have a fully assembled and working sholder and forearm as per my idea in the pictures you can make out the parts that were filled and paded out. The shoulder itself is fully working and can rotate and move just like a real sholder can It is very strong and should have no problems holding a gun and the weight of FP armor or Minmay. I have bleneded in the new parts to continue the original shamfer lines on the edges of the parts. This gives it a more factory feel IMO. The actual shoulder itself has not had its seams and screw holes finished yet but once I have the rest of the chest area made these will be made off.

I have been taking some measurements for the chest area but these dont make very interesting readng so I `ll post pictures when there something to see.

[attachmentid=37334]

You can se the slight dimples in the plastic of the shoulder these are where the screws pull from the otherside they will be banished in final completion. There is also a slight wiggle in the pannel lines, these too will be fixed.

[attachmentid=37335]

You can see the unevenness of the bootleg parts here much sanding and filling will be required to get rid of these, the edge of the arm looks more Yamato or Hasegawa now though.

[attachmentid=37338]

You can get a good look at the end of the elbow here and my filler to cover over the slider mechanisum with a sploge of MR Putty still to be smoothed.

[attachmentid=37339]

A good look at the wrist end to see the plate where the hands will be attached as soon as I buy em.

The forearms, after my cock up all is now well and the almost finished forearms are great.

[attachmentid=37336]

As you can see there is a slight hole on the end this has now been sorted and you can also make out the different types of plastic on the elbow bit even though they are perfectly smooth.

[attachmentid=37337]

The hole is visable here too and the discouring is the Mr Putty used to help level things out. The slider was filled with Tamiya standard putty and smoothed off with Mr Putty, the Pannel line was re cut using my exacto saw.

The whole shooting match put together.

[attachmentid=37340]

A bit blurred but you get the idea.

Thats all for now.

post-3178-1161299498_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1161299654_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1161299851_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1161299991_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1161300191_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1161300314_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1161300495_thumb.jpg

Edited by big F

Just wondering if goderator Hurin is going to move this to its proper location.

Continually picking fights and perpetuating grudges with people from thread to thread (whether your "target" be a member, moderator, or admin) is not appropriate.

If you have a suggestion about moving a topic that might be in an improper place, please do so in a civil tone without the unnecessary invective.

H

big ups, im waiting for things to render in the labs and thought i'd pop in to see what was going on.

glad there are still 1/55 mods happening, love your work. keep it coming!

Thanks that means a lot comming from one of the 1/55 gods.

Gotta clean up my workspace and then its back to moding, torso is next on my list.

• 4 weeks later...

OMG almost a month since my last progress report.

Sorry for the lack of news.

Ok the torso was next on my list of things to mod or nealy wreck in this case.

The back part of the torso that eh wings attach too is not something pretty on the bootleg, its not that much better on a Takka or Bandai. look at the picture below to see what I mean. See the 1/55 boot lined up against a more acurate 1/72 Hasegawa.

[attachmentid=37983]

Now I measured up and worked out how much needs to chopped.

[attachmentid=37984] You can see the marks I made for chopping.

[attachmentid=37985] The chopped part with the edges cut on the inside as well.

[attachmentid=37986] Add two of these to cover those gastly casting points.

And DOH!!!!

This is why you should not use too much liquid cement on thin Styrene.

[attachmentid=37987] I almost cried. all is not lost as a bit of filler will fix it, just a bit of work I could do without.

[attachmentid=37988] Here you can see where I built it up to match the Hasegawa part more closely.

Still some way to go but it`s getting there.

[attachmentid=37989] The flipside of the same part with the largely unseen rear side.

While that was drying I turned my attention to the back pack. this is one area that does need only a little bit of work IMO. Now on a working 1/55 there is a trade off between acuracy and functionality. Well as i dont need tranformation I can do some changes.

[attachmentid=37990] The backpack along side the Boot fast pack clip. The holes on it have always bothered me (even on the Taka etc. One redeeming point to note the Bootlegs have the dome bulge (not sure what its called) but its not big enough for acutate 1/55.

[attachmentid=37991] Thats better.

post-3178-1163459034_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1163459151_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1163459272_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1163459358_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1163459486_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1163459645_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1163459888_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1163460300_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1163460543_thumb.jpg

Edited by big F

With that done the rest of the backpack needed modding. The wings had the small cast marks filled.

The part where the splash gard (for the rocket engines) is not big enough, this is one of those parts that had to be slimmed down to allow the transformation of the 1/55. So I chopped it off and made one to the right scale instead.

[attachmentid=37992] Gonna need the cut off bit for the next stage.

[attachmentid=37993] Teh bit on the top of the back pack has always had a similar molded part to the bottom end. The Hasegawa and Yamies have this as a flat grill type bit. Step in the cut off splash guard, trimmed to size.

[attachmentid=37994] There thats bettter you can also see the drill holes for the retros and the small recessed bit on the top next to the dome.

Next the wings, on the bootlegs the part on the wings where the stripe would be is recessed I could fill it but this would take ages and as I have loads of 1mm styrene much quicker to do provided it dont use too much cement :p.

[attachmentid=37995] Filled and work in progress. The back of the wings needed the same treatment as the tail wings.

Now onto the head.

Originally I was going to merge the 1/55 Bandai and Boot head. After a lot of measuring and such I changed my mind.

[attachmentid=37996]

I cut the neck part off as this is all wrong. Next up is the eye this is too big on the boot and set too far forward. I just filed it down and have cut it to fit. now all I have to do is build up the Chin and make a neck. more pictures to follow.

Thanks for keeping the faith guys.

post-3178-1163461074_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1163461269_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1163461470_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1163461882_thumb.jpg

post-3178-1163462166_thumb.jpg

Edited by big F

Lookin' Good! You might as well go all the way and put a colored lens in with reflective backround like that one guy did a couple of months ago, can't remember the name. Keep it up! You guys seriously got me thinking about gettng a 1/55. Can't beat the classics! - MT

If you want to get one for customising then there are a few of these cheap bootlegs on eBlag at the moment. They usually go for a £5 er at most the quaility is not up with Taka or Bandai but, If your handy with the paint and filler as I know you are you can make Cinderella go to the ball.

Edited by big F

if i am to sell a macross ve-1 elintseeker vintage diecast

complete with box and styro

items:

-toy figure (good condition)

-gun

-arm gun

-feet armor

-disc back armor

-shade buffer for pilot area

items lost:

-missiles

-sticker is applied

-the gun that looks like an electric fan

-brochure

could you help me with the price? im totally clueless thanks dude...

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the delay in posting some meaningfull update on this but with Xmas and my Kitchen building, I havent had much time for the project. I will hopefully post some progress over the weekend.

Edited by big F

Sorry about the delay in posting some meaningfull update on this but with Xmas and my Kitchen building, I havent had much time for the project. I will hopefully post some progress over the weekend.

Sorry, don't mean to rude.

Why post a comment of being no updates, when there is nothing to post? Whenever you're ready to really show something, please, by all means do so.

• 1 month later...

Any updates big F? Thanks again for sharing, I am really enjoying watching this project from beginning to completion. Btw, did you record youself doing any of this? This would make a awesome vid! :)

After a comment like this:

Sorry, don't mean to rude.

Why post a comment of being no updates, when there is nothing to post? Whenever you're ready to really show something, please, by all means do so.

I'm not surprised he's being quiet. I for one appreciated the updates regardless of content...

I don't mind hearing an update about no update. I am interested in seeing if he has updated anything since his last progress post back in November. Maybe he's done with it now? It is looking good though.

sorry guys I have been real busy with the real life and all the Sh1te it can bring. I was toying with putting a 1/48 Yamie head on but now after palying some more with the head It originally came with Im gonna stick with it. In the spar time I have had I have mostly been adding to the head to bring it into shape and experimenting with the Eye and how to make it and get it to stay put. Theres been a whole lot of subtle filling etc on the head with when sanded back down looks like you did nothing. Other stuff has been fixing defects on one of the lega and a bit of damage (i did) on a wing.

The most alarming thing I have noticed is some shrinkage on some of the filled areas.

Ive used Tamiya standard and Mr. White Putty on this and some parts are fine others have shrunk or cracked.

Interestingly the areas I used Automotive polyester filler on are fine.

I`d use it more but, the only trouble is it takes longer to do with that stuff as you have to mix and apply, and it gets really messy quickly.

As you can expect theres no point in me showing any pics as they would mostly be of bits you have already seen in various states.

More pics as soon as I have things to show that are worthy.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Progress !!!! mmmm

Yes I really do need to do somthing to this mod. I have plans to look at it this weekend and visit it with my Dremmel to speed up the sanding of the Auto filler, as this is the bit I hate most. Dosent help that I slapped it on nice and thick. Also Im going to have to skimm some of the eairlier work as it has cracked due to shrinkage. At least its now and not after I painted it> smile.gif

Edited by big F

• 2 years later...

Just a quick note to all who were/are watching this thread it's been dormant for three years OMG!!

Partly due to a certain resin building 1/24 scale God on these here forums I have got the old girl outta storage.

Build up may be sloooowww due to still having nearly zero time but all progress will get posted here.

Suffice to say 3 years has given me some different ideas to try :).

Just a quick note to all who were/are watching this thread it's been dormant for three years OMG!!

Partly due to a certain resin building 1/24 scale God on these here forums I have got the old girl outta storage.

Build up may be sloooowww due to still having nearly zero time but all progress will get posted here.

Suffice to say 3 years has given me some different ideas to try :).

I'm looking forward to it.

I have a bunch of mine that are SOOOOOOOOOOOO close to being done and I can't do anything with them because I'm moving *AGAIN*.

So frustrating.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, Im new to the group and interested in automatic knives. I was wondering if there is any information out there on custom making an OTF automatic as well as the standard auto. Also is there any information out there on the mechanics involved in an OTF?

Chris