Aero Ace Squadron

cube

not sure if anyone else has given these things a shot, but they are by far the most fun ive ever had...$20 at toys r us for a cool little remote control plane...made mine into a half-assed skull squadron. They come in 3 different channels, so you can dogfight with em...decent range and battery life too.

squadron1.jpg

skull.jpg

max.jpg

millia.jpg

vf-1d.jpg

(they all used to be bi-planes, but i yanked the wings off some of them, so they fly better)

perfect starter if you've ever wanted to get into remote control planes...the rc guys are going nuts for em.

Seriously doubt you'd get 4-channel (rudder/elevator/aileron/throttle) on something like that. You're lucky to get 2-channel (rudder/elevator) on most cheap R/C's.

It goes with 4-channel not being for beginners (nor being cheap)

Seriously doubt you'd get 4-channel (rudder/elevator/aileron/throttle) on something like that.  You're lucky to get 2-channel (rudder/elevator) on most cheap R/C's. 

It goes with 4-channel not being for beginners (nor being cheap)

422014[/snapback]

So what movement do you think this will have? i have never messed with rc stuff...but since this has no string attached to it via handle(forgot what those were called) and since it is cheap...I am thinking of buying..

controls are throttle and turning (one stick for each). Basically, there are 7 levels of throttle, and turning left or right just takes power away form one side and adds it to the other. So it's not just crappy digital on and off control. Keep the throttle up and they go up, 1/3 throttle keeps it level usually, and low or no throttle lets it glide down to the ground.

Size-wise: 9" wingspan, 9.5" tip to tail

You can definitely fly em indoors, but you need a decent bit of space.

Here are some vids other people have made:

Indoors:

Outdoors: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mau2FBGPAfY&search=aero%20ace

yea, Air Hog Aero Ace...dont get any of the other models, and don't get the newer aero ace jet (it doesn't work very well)...if you pick one up make sure it's the aero ace bi-plane

422090[/snapback]

whats bad about the other jets? i was tempted to buy theier F-16 and F117. Also@radio shack over xmas I saw a duct fan A-7...anyone buy this?

And how about the estes warbirds over@walmart? They have corsairs and P-40's are they any good?

the other planes don't control as well apparently, and this is the only one with a LiPo battery, so it gets better life or something (just repeating what I've read elsewhere). The batteries take 15 minutes to charge, then they run full throttle for 10 minutes or so. With the amount of crashing and low or no throttle flying you do, it usually ends up being closer to 15 minutes. They have a 200ft range too, so you can get em up nice and high...just watch out for the wind.

and yea, the dogfight is pretty much just flying around stuff and trying to crash into the other guy or follow the other guy...also fun to divebomb the other pilot and try to smoke him in the face (the props are small and in the back, so they don't do any damage)

you can get em online at toysrus.com...looks like they are $30 there though. I'm in Canada, and toysrus.ca has em on for $20Cdn right now. I think you can get them cheap at either target or walmart in the states. Just call around and see who has em.

yup, no motorized flaps or anything...the engines just change power to turn or change speed/altitude. It does, of course have flaps that can be adjusted to get the right balance and lift, as well as a steering adjustment on the controller that lets you adjust the power to the left or right motor

i tried my friend's f-16 one tonight and it does indeed suck...goes super fast, but doesn't turn...then it crashes...HARD.

Great find shame about the price though. They have done what so many manufacturers do just change the $ sign to a £ sign so they are like the equivalent ot nearly $60 over here. Would be cheaper to get them posted from the U.S. Hell I could DHL them and still be in pocket.

O.K so how longs it gonna be until the more adventurous MW members build their own VF1 fighter versions or may be a Hikaru fan jet.

Edited by big F

there are a bunch of websites already where people have taken the innerds out of these and attached them to different plane designs...i don't think you'd get enough lift out of a vf, but you could definitely modify it with bigger wings and get it to work