Vf-1s 001 Model Rocket

Skullsixx

I got to head off to do some other things, but here's some pictures of the Macross 20th Anniversary Rocket. I orginally worked on it on and off during 2001 and finished it up and the end of 2002. I finished it up with a paint and decal scheme to replicate Hikaru's Valkyries from DYRL. All of its flight were during 2003. I flew it on a mix of I and J motors. The Cessaroni Pro38 J330 took it up to around 4,800 feet twice. This rocket uses dual stage deployment - an altimeter seperates the rocket in half at apogee. When the rocket gets down to an altitude just a few hundred feet above the ground, the main parachute deploys and the rocket just lands a few feet away instead of miles away. Unfortunately on its last flight in June 2004, the motor catoed and the Macross 20th Anniversary Rocket was pretty banged up. After two years, it is still in a state of disrepair, but I think I'll fix it up soon.

These are mix of pictures from 2002 and 2004.

post-342-1155422324_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155422335_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155422347_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155422361_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155422404_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155422418_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155422431_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155422473_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155422608_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155422622_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155422633_thumb.jpg

Maybe I should take my rocket down to Hooters.

424600[/snapback]

LOL! I'll refrain from making remarks. Nice pic, BTW! :lol:

Apollo Leader: Holy crap! That's awesome! and to think that I could've gone to LDRS-5 two decades ago... Nice collection of rockets in your Mac20th pics. Did your X-24 bug (I think) or X-wing ever fly properly? My bug always ended up tumbling back, and my X-wing kept breaking up. Great work there.

I'd love to apply the Miriya scheme to something like that Maxi-Alpha III on the bench. :)

ps - What do people use to finish balsa wood these days? Dope/sanding sealer? Epoxy?

"And now for something different..." That looks great! I know that's a lot of money each shot. Looks great. I'm sure the other rocketeers ask, "what's that all about" in referance to your rocket theme. I know when people ask what I'm working on, I just get the dear in the headlights look :blink: - MT

LOL!  I'll refrain from making remarks.  Nice pic, BTW!  :lol:

Apollo Leader:  Holy crap!  That's awesome!  and to think that I could've gone to LDRS-5 two decades ago...  Nice collection of rockets in your Mac20th pics.  Did your X-24 bug (I think) or X-wing ever fly properly?  My bug always ended up tumbling back, and my X-wing kept breaking up.  Great work there.

I'd love to apply the Miriya scheme to something like that Maxi-Alpha III on the bench.  :)

ps - What do people use to finish balsa wood these days?  Dope/sanding sealer?  Epoxy?

424627[/snapback]

LDRS 5 let's see that would have been 1986! Where was it held? I know the first several (before it became THE official annual event for Tripoli Rocketry Association) where held in Ohio.

As for the paper cone shaped rocket with fins you are close! Quest took the old Centuri X-24 Bug and rearranged it to become this kit (can't remember the name off the top of my head). Not exactly stable, but it was fun to fly. As for the X-Wing, this was the more recent incarnation from the late 90's which was mostly plastic and pretty mush ready to fly unlike the past balsa kit. Everythime I fly it, it is pretty stable.

As for finishing balsa, I usually use sanding sealer followed up my Model Magic or I just go straight to gray Krylon Primer.

I know when people ask what I'm working on, I just get the dear in the headlights look :blink:  - MT

424786[/snapback]

I get that when I mention Macross in general, usually I then just say Transformers and if that doesn't work Gundamm. If they still don't know they are a lost cause.

1/5th scale Delta III by some of the guys of our group here in Nebraska! :D It was flown at LDRS 25 on July 3rd. This was flight number 2. The main motor was roughly a P8600 amd the nine detachable booster motors each had an L1200 (all of these reloadable motors were custom made). This was the Delta's second flight.

Here is the project homepage with more pictures and even video of its two flights:

http://www.insaneprojects.com/default.html

post-342-1155711290_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155711317_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155711356_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155711379_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155711404_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155711432_thumb.jpg

1/5th scale Delta III by some of the guys of our group here in Nebraska! :D  It was flown at LDRS 25 on July 3rd.  This was flight number 2.  The main motor was roughly a P8600 amd the nine detachable booster motors each had an L1200 (all of these reloadable motors were custom made).  This was the Delta's second flight.

Here is the project homepage with more pictures and even video of its two flights:

http://www.insaneprojects.com/default.html

425520[/snapback]

So did that bad boy actually go into space? Damn that thing looks gnarly!

So did that bad boy actually go into space? Damn that thing looks gnarly!

425585[/snapback]

Even with all its power, it got up to only 4,000 feet up. It was a hefty beast and there was a fair amount of drag to it (especially from the mounting craddle for the strap on boosters at the base of the rocket.

Here's a link to pictures of the motors and propellant slugs that went into this thing.

http://www.insaneprojects.com/propulsion.html

When I get the chance, I am going to start a new thread covering all my Macross and anime model rocket projects. I also may start a separate thread detailing my Level 3 rocket (M power!) which will be called Super Dimension Rocket Macross and will have a DYRL theme paint job and finish - the current plan is to paint each of the four fins to represent each Skull Team member, have a mainly white paint job with black trim, and lots of Macross related stickers (UN Spacy logos, Skull & Crossbones, DYRL Summer 84 logos, and other artwork). I first started building it last summer, but other then working on it for a few days back in the spring, it has been untouched since. I have decided to do some major redesign work on it very soon and I hope to be back to work on it as soon as next month. I will chronicle the whole building and design of this creation right here on Macross World. :)

That's cool Apollo! That's some serious engine power! I bet the ATF guys love you guys! You could almost start sending up toy valks on your missions and resell them as "actually launched into space! :lol: " - MT

That's cool Apollo!  That's some serious engine power!  I bet the ATF guys love you guys!  You could almost start sending up toy valks on your missions and resell them as "actually launched into space!  :lol: " - MT

425894[/snapback]

That would be funny

" Yamato VF1 Roy flown in space once, never under combat conditions, never raced or rallied"

eBay would love that.

That's cool Apollo!  That's some serious engine power!  I bet the ATF guys love you guys!  You could almost start sending up toy valks on your missions and resell them as "actually launched into space!  :lol: " - MT

425894[/snapback]

Actually I've had an ATF Low Explosive User Permit since 1997. The thing is the majority of high power motors H and above use Ammonium Perchlorate. Though the form of AP we use in these motors is scientifically proven not be an explosive, the ATF wants to go ahead and bully us and have AP model rocket propellant considered an explosive since we are a small enough niche hobby (unlike let's say the NRA which has millions of members and a lot more clout). For about 7 years now, both the NAR and Tripoli have had the ATF in federal court over this matter. Things have gone pretty positively for us. But even if we win most or all of our points we need to get legislative protection, too. Senator Mike Enzi from Wyoming has been one of our biggest supporters.

Whoah I didnt realise there were so many problems for you guys over the other side of the pond. Over here they want you to be insured and a member of the UKRA otherwise the authorities can stand on you if they think you have broken the law. IIRC you also have to ask the Cilvil Aviation Authority for permission to fly If you go more than 1500 feet.

I did a little search on the net for Rocket clubs in the U.K. There are a few but mostly they are a few hours drive from me. There is one in Southampton which is only about an hour. I will have to check them out.

The only problem is they only allow shop bought stuff to be used. Me being the engineer that I am could quickly grow out of this and want to use home grown stuff like motors and my own build rockets, then I guess I would have to bite the bullet and travel to use them.

Apollo how long did it take you to go from shop bought to make your own ?

Whoah I didnt realise there were so many problems for you guys over the other side of the pond. Over here they want you to be insured and a member of the UKRA otherwise the authorities can stand on you if they think you have broken the law. IIRC you also have to ask the Cilvil Aviation Authority for permission to fly If you go more than 1500 feet.

I did a little search on the net for Rocket clubs in the U.K. There are a few but mostly they are a few hours drive from me. There is one in Southampton which is only about an hour. I will have to check them out.

The only problem is they only allow shop bought stuff to be used. Me being the engineer that I am could quickly grow out of this and want to use home grown stuff like motors and my own build rockets, then I guess I would have to bite the bullet and travel to use them.

Apollo how long did it take you to go from shop bought to make your own ?

426203[/snapback]

When you start flying bigger and more powerful stuff here in the US, you have to have an FAA waiver. At the field we use here in southeast Nebraska, our waiver is set for the year and we can pretty much just call a day or so in advance to activate it (usually 9:00 to 5:00). Normally our waiver goes up to like around 15,000 feet MSL I believe. We can also get windows for a few hours to like 23,000 feet... we've had a few flights at our field go up to over 16,000 feet so we've put those windows to good use.

As for motors, so far I've only used commercially made motors and reloads (ie. Estes, AeroTech, and Cesaroni). But maybe one day I'll try making my own.

Before I forget, Macross Plus successfully flew on Saturday. Flight number 2 this year and its 10th flight since 2000. I will post pictures as soon as I have had the chance to reduce and crop. It might be a good time to whip out its construction pictures to show what it took to make this rocket.

Before I forget, Macross Plus successfully flew on Saturday.  Flight number 2 this year and its 10th flight since 2000.  I will post pictures as soon as I have had the chance to reduce and crop.  It might be a good time to whip out its construction pictures to show what it took to make this rocket.

427011[/snapback]

Please do.

I bet Skullsix is pleased his is one of the most posted to threads at the moment.

Before I forget, Macross Plus successfully flew on Saturday.  Flight number 2 this year and its 10th flight since 2000.  I will post pictures as soon as I have had the chance to reduce and crop.  It might be a good time to whip out its construction pictures to show what it took to make this rocket.

427011[/snapback]

Please do.

I bet Skullsix is pleased his is one of the most posted to threads at the moment.

427035[/snapback]

Yeah...kinda cool, huh?

Macross Plus' 10th flight just a little over two days ago! The guys standing with me in the picture is JELEINEN (Jason Leinen) of Macross World and is one of the guys responsible for Anime Sunday at the Blondo Street Dragon's Lair comic store each month. (http://www.animesunday.org/)

The motor for this flight was the Cesaroni Pro54 K650 Smoky Sam... I think the sooty smoke gives it away. :p If our club's PA had been up and running, I was going to dedicate the flight to Scott Frasier. Scott was a newer member of our club who died of cancer back in April. This K650 belonged to him and it ended up in my hands a few weeks ago. Scott, this one's for you! :)

The rocket just barely missed the power lines on the south side of the road and landed in the milo (?) crop. One of our teenage members and his dad were looking for a rocket of his and it landed right near them and they were nice enough to bring it to me.

Macross Plus reached an altitude of 2,218 feet. It was recovered with no damage and will fly again later this fall or sometime next year.

When I get the chance, I will start a Macross Plus thread to show the full story of one of my most successful rockets. From when I originally started building it back in January or February 2000 on through its many flights.

post-342-1156227185_thumb.jpg

post-342-1156227199_thumb.jpg

post-342-1156227209_thumb.jpg

post-342-1156227223_thumb.jpg

post-342-1156227233_thumb.jpg

post-342-1156227248_thumb.jpg

post-342-1156227272_thumb.jpg

Edited by Apollo Leader

2218 ft.!!! That is GNARLY!!!! My rocket is up for another flight this weekend. By the way... how in the hell can ya actually measure the altitude of how high these things fly?

427214[/snapback]

There's a barometric altimeter onboard which not only records altitude, but also do stuff like set off an electrical charge at apogee and set off a charge at low altitude (if you were trying to go for low altitude deployment of the main chute). In my case I was using a Missile Works RRC2. In the case of this one, it will beep out the altitude that it reached which makes life easy. I had a Transolve P5 years ago and it would beep off a code which you had to look up on a chart to decipher its altitude! :p

The highest altitude Macross Plus has gotten up to was 4,604 feet on an L730 (check a page or two back). My highest altitude flight yet was with my Gundam rocket which reached 6,461 feet. I might get close to 10,000 when I fly my Macross DYRL rocket. :)

Edited by Apollo Leader

2218 ft.!!! That is GNARLY!!!! My rocket is up for another flight this weekend. By the way... how in the hell can ya actually measure the altitude of how high these things fly?

427214[/snapback]

There's a barometric altimeter onboard which not only records altitude, but also do stuff like set off an electrical charge at apogee and set off a charge at low altitude (if you were trying to go for low altitude deployment of the main chute). In my case I was using a Missile Works RRC2. In the case of this one, it will beep out the altitude that it reached which makes life easy. I had a Transolve P5 years ago and it would beep off a code which you had to look up on a chart to decipher its altitude! :p

The highest altitude Macross Plus has gotten up to was 4,604 feet on an L730 (check a page or two back). My highest altitude flight yet was with my Gundam rocket which reached 6,461 feet. I might get close to 10,000 when I fly my Macross DYRL rocket. :)

427217[/snapback]

Dude... can I climb aboard that flight?

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...&st=0&p=427641&

I had the pictures posted in that thread but here they are again. :)

After some major repairs, Mobile Rocket Gundam flew at LDRS 25 (Wayside, TX) on June 30th. Besides being fixed up after damage it took on its last flight (June 2005), I modified it to take three additional 38mm motor mounts in addition to its single 54mm motor mount. For this flight, I basically went with the most powerful combination I could: a Cesaroni Pro54 L730 with three Pro38 I285's which were to be ignited a half second into flight.

The night before the flight, I started assembling the four motors and the electronics; little did I know that trying to wire up the altimeter (primary ejection) and the two timers (midair ignition of the three I's and the secondary ejection charge) would have me up to just after 6:00 in the morning. Ugghhhh! :p I went to bed for a few hours and came out to the field just after noon.

Fortunately, all the hard work paid off. Immediately after liftoff, all three I's lit and Gundam really started to move. Parachute deployment took place at apogee (just over 6,400 feet) and the rocket gently came down on its single parachute about a mile or so away (should have watched the odometer on my truck).

This flight represented numerous firsts and some of my greatest rocketry accomplisments to date:

1) Most powerful flight yet for me. With all four motors lit, a total of about 4,300 N/S of thrust was generated. My previous high was about 2,760 from the two single L730 flights I had done on the Gundam by itself.

2) Highest official flight! Besides breaking 6,000 feet for the first time, it was the first time I know for sure I broke a mile. My previous official highest flights were to about 4,800 feet.

3) First time to airstart motors in midair and first time to fly a cluster rocket using composite AP motors.

4) With three electronic items onboard and the three motors to light, this was definitely my most complicated flight ever. My Level 3 flight will be easier to fly then this!

I'm not sure when Gundam will fly again, but the next time I fly it, my plan is to use an AeroTech K1100 or another high thrusting K motor at liftoff and then like two to three seconds into flight I would ignite three Pro38 I class Smoky Sam motors to produce a nice dark smoke trail up in the sky. :)

post-342-1156347390_thumb.jpg

post-342-1156347404_thumb.jpg

post-342-1156347418_thumb.jpg

post-342-1156347443_thumb.jpg

post-342-1156347479_thumb.jpg

post-342-1156347492_thumb.jpg

One thing I was thinking the other day while talking to my boss (he`s sort of into rockets for his kids) has anyone ever made or flown a multistage rocket. By that I mean sort of like the ICBM or moon shot type system burn dump stage burn etc ?

And no before you ask I dont want to fly rockets with my boss, it`s bad enough working with him and besides have you met his kids.

• 3 weeks later...