Vf-1s 001 Model Rocket

Skullsixx

This is my first model rocket since I was about 12 (I am now 35). I just bought it yesterday and I am customizing the paint job to look like Roy's VF-1S. I'll post the pics as soon as I'm done. The fins were painted black with yellow ends and skull stickers, the body white with VF markings. It's currently drying so I'll get to some pics tomorrow.

Hmmm weird I was thinking how a rocket could be customised to the colours of a VF-1 the otherday, after all if people can do cars and motorbikes, and Nike sneakers why not rockets.

Nice!  Is that the good ol' Estes Alpha III?  I haven't done model rocketry in ages and that sure brings back memories.  Hope you have a calm, windless day w/ clear skies tomorrow!

ps - Don't stick a C6-7 in it...  :D

422574[/snapback]

Thanks guys!! I appreciate the advice and kind words. Low winds tomorrow maxing out at 5 mph from the NW. Hope it goes well. And yes, that is the Estes Alpha III.

Edited by Skullsixx

Yes they are addictive. I will be flying again on Sunday. For my next rocket I'll be completing one that I found at the hobby store that looks like a flying porta potty with Beavis and Butthead graphics. I almost bought it the 1st time because it said you could "fly the crap outta it!"

Theres quite a healthy rocketeering scene here in good ole Blighty. As far as I can remember a lot of them meet on places like old military bases and big expanses of sand , fields and such. The local authorities here in the U.K can get a bit pissy about this sorta stuff.

Theres also loads of web sites on it too, even some quite good ones on how to make your own rockets and also your own motors. Good plans and also exact meeasurements for mixing the household chemicals to make "safe" motors. My boss mixes his own for his kids, Which is quite scary as I wouldnt trust him to light a light bulb let alone a potentially dangerous rocket motor.

Edited by big F

BigF... I'm still laughing my ass off about your boss! I'm just getting back into rockets after many, many years. Hell, I don't even remember what I had when I was a kid. It was definitely fun and I look forward to pursuing it further with bigger and better rockets. Since I am considering it a casual hobby, I'll start off slow. I also plan on customizing each paint job per each rocket that I get. I saw one in the hobby shop that was a replica of the Soviet Mig that Kawamori based the YF-19 after and I may get that and give it the Macross Plus YF-19 paint job.

Skullsixx,

Glad to hear that the flights went well! :) I was really inspired by your creation so I made one too in Illustrator. Mine is only 2D; you, of course, have the real deal!

post-1887-1154926759_thumb.gif

Milia/Miriya's scheme works really well too. Artistic license: that white strip down the fuselage looks better in black here:

post-1887-1154926793_thumb.gif

Anyone recognize this thing? I can't believe I still have it and it's mostly intact (minus one turbo-laser):

post-1887-1154927015_thumb.jpg

Keep up the work! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your stuff and that future YF-19! :)

Big F: wow, this thread really tempts me to join the rocketry ranks again! I may yet become a Born-Again Rocketeer!

Skullsixx: > that Viper ROCKS!!!

Thanks! Unfortunately, it's no longer available but you can find the plans here:

est1310_.gif

Estes Colonial Viper model rocket plans

Tons of cool Estes & Centuri plans too, and lots of info:

Estes model rocket plans

Centuri model rocket plans

Check out this person's buildup:

jw_viper.JPG

4x Upscale Colonial Viper

Cool thread! :)

I bet that guy threatens his kid with that rocket. "If you don't shape, I'll send you to the moon!" He could do it too! Whew! That dude has got to be using at least "F" or "I" series engines too.

BigF, is that what the "F" is for in your screen name? :lol: - MT

Surprised Apollo Leader hasn't posted in this---PM him if he doesn't show up soon.

423325[/snapback]

You rang? :D I usually don't look in this part of the forum, but I just happened saw this subject highlighted as the most recent in this forum. Anyway... here I am! I'll post a few pictures of my works. :D

Check out this person's buildup:

4x Upscale Colonial Viper

Cool thread!  :)

423385[/snapback]

A large upscale of the Estes or Centuri Colonial Viper was flown at LDRS on day 2 (Viper). I missed that flight because I was asleep back at my motel room because I had spent the entire night before prepping my Gundam rocket. :p It's very likely this may have been the same Viper, but there have been people in the past who have done large, high power model rocket versions of the Estes/Centuri kit. But looking at the picture long enough, I think this is the same Viper.

Just did some more searching and that was indeed the same Viper! The guy even stopped at the Amarillo Hooters and got some of the girls there to pose with it! :)

http://galaxyphoto.com/rockets/viper8.html

viper_hoot.jpg

Edited by Apollo Leader

Time to dig up some pictures of my Macross/Gundam rockets. :D

First of which is the biggest Macross rocket in the fleet - Macross Plus!

If you got to the Macross World Attack Team page (http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/mwat/richard_burney/_richard_burney.htm) here on Macross World, you will find pictures and even a movie file (of its first flight) from its first two years of flights (2000-2001). Between June 2000 and October 2004, I flew it mainly on AeroTech K550's and K1100's. In October 2004, I flew it on a Cesaroni Pro54 K660 (which is neatly a full K motor unlike the smaller K550 and K1100) to an altitude of about 4,400 feet. The seat belt strap that was part of the shock cord set up put a foot deep zipper into the forward body tube. It would remain out of commision until 2006.

After not having flown it in about a year-and-a-half's time, I fixed up Macross Plus in June to take with me down to Amarillo, TX for LDRS 25. Though the rocket remains exactly the same length, instead of ejecting the nose cone off, the nose cone along with a section of body tubing ejects forward. Like in my Gundam rocket, I incorporated an anti zipper coupler assembly, and the main chute deploys right with the bottom section. This kind of arrangement reduces the chance of damaging the rocket at parachute deployment.

Below are some additional pictures of Macross Plus throughout the years. The set of older pictures with me with the white t-shirt and black hat and all the grass and everything kind of looks dry and burned out was taken back in August 2002. The motor for the flight was a K1100. As a special payload, I put in a copy of the premiere issue of the Gunsight 1 newsletter/fanzine I briefly did during 2002! It reached an altitude of about 2,200 feet (typical with that motor).

The set of pictures of me without a baseball cap was taken in May 2004. Again, a K1100.

Finally, the pictutres where I am wearing that flourescent workers vest (I wore it to indicate I was member of the press there at LDRS 25), those were taken on July 2nd when I was at LDRS 25 south of Amarillo, TX. A single Pro54 L730 took it to an altitude of just over 4,600 feet.

post-342-1155421223_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155421237_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155421250_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155421262_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155421314_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155421345_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155421429_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155421442_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155421462_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155421474_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155421500_thumb.jpg

post-342-1155421515_thumb.jpg