Miami Vice Film Review

The biggest "gore" effect I can think of comes at the very end of the movie, when a particular baddie gets it from Tubbs' shottie. But to be honest, I think that was more for emphasis than it was for any sort of "Michael Bay-esque" sense of excess. This is a bad, bad guy and he deserves what he gets. In this, the movie delivers. Other than that, the only real blood I can think of is a) two extreme kills with a Barret .50 and b) headshot at close range with a G36C. Needless to say, both would be equally messy in real life. But while the movie is indeed explicit in its detail, it hardly lingers on it like a lesser film would. These are no slo-mo ultrakills like something Paul Verhoeve would have shown us, were he still making films.

Oh man they blew away those guys with a 50mm sniper rifle... OMG it was glorious!

420949[/snapback]

50mm! That's one big round. Are you sure you don't mean .50 (as in half inch)?

Graham

421183[/snapback]

Yeah, I think he meant that. Unless they were using a Soviet BMP-2 turret cannon which I doubt or there wouldnt be anything left of the bad guys. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to see this tonight, usually wait a week so all the annoying punk teenagers don't foul up my movie.

"You can take the man out of the '80s, but you can't take the '80s out of the man" - Paul Gilbert

Well, I'm no veteran, but I've done my reading and seen some video clips...

It would be hard to exaggerate the effects a .50cal round has on the human body. The bodies aren't going to explode like they were hit by a cannon round, but it would be disturbing enough that I wouldn't think a movie could "overdo" it.

Edited by Phyrox

I was a diehard watcher of the show back in the 80s (I still remember watching when the first episode came on), and I pretty well enjoyed the film.

Yeah, watching those guys pretty much get disintegrated by those .50 cals was something to behold (and probably not unlike how they work in real life). I think Farrel and Fox did a wonderful job of capturing the spirit of the original while at the same time giving enough of themselves to breathe new life in to it.

The firefight scenes did a good job of providing just enough confusion that you weren't always sure who was shooting at who.

I confess that a small side of me was hoping to hear a remix of some of Jan Hammer's stuff somewhere during the movie, although the soundtrack provided was quite adequate for the job. I'm not so retarded as to think that the movie was total horse excrement without it. (after all, Miami Vice MADE Jan Hammer.)

ending was a bit of a letdown... certainly left open for a sequel. I got the feeling that Mann was trying to end the movie much like he would often end an episode of the old TV series (the whole "life goes on" feeling). It works fine for a TV show in which another episode will be airing in a week, but the artistry in it is completely lost on a scale like this.

That was my only gripe... everything else rocked.

ending was a bit of a letdown... certainly left open for a sequel.

423665[/snapback]

I disagree, on both counts. The ending was pitch perfect with the rest of the film, and I would be totally shocked if Mann did a sequel to this film or any other.

Had it ended any other way, I would have been disappointed.

The movie itself was pretty good. At no point did I feel the urge to hit the mythical fast-forward button that I do during so many other movies.

My only problem is with Gong Li. Man, she was horribly mis-cast. I just couldn't buy into her being this tough-as-nails buisness chick, and then suddenly she's being nice-nice and all that other stuff. It just didn't work for me.

But I was most impressed by Jamie Foxx. He had all the style and attitude just oozing out of every pore and look.

As for the ending, I could see a few threads that could be picked up for a sequel, but I won't mention them here as this is a spoiler-free thread.

I love the movie, i thought it was spot on, and smart, and gritty. The ending could have been better but michael mann likes his endings that way so it was to be expected. I loved the soundtrack, the first thing i did when i left the theater was go and buy it. I love the remix of in the air tonight, it fit with the times and feel of the movie

Well, I thought the movie was decent. Collin Ferrel or however you spell his name didn't get on my nerves. I didn't care for the soundtrack at all though. Jaime Foxx was his usual dependable self.

Not a bad way to spend a weeknight, but Heat is still my favorite movie from Mann.

By the way, I really don't think this movie will ruin the original tv show for many of us. The differences are as great as the two Battlestar Galactica shows. Completely different tone.

Well, I thought the movie was decent. Collin Ferrel or however you spell his name didn't get on my nerves. I didn't care for the soundtrack at all though. Jaime Foxx was his usual dependable self.

Not a bad way to spend a weeknight, but Heat is still my favorite movie from Mann.

By the way, I really don't think this movie will ruin the original tv show for many of us. The differences are as great as the two Battlestar Galactica shows. Completely different tone.

424180[/snapback]

Totally true!!!! I couldn't agree more! I like the old show when it came out and the movie is very cool! It was time for an update and I loved how he took it seriously... no campiness! I also agree with ya on Heat. That's my fav Mann film too!!!

I loved the film. I actually liked it better than Collateral, although to tell you the truth I might have an unfair bias against it due to Tom Cruise being in it.

I think most people's complaints about Miami Vice might be that one it doesn't have action all over the place like some Michael Bay movie, which may be due to the kids of today being spoiled by these action filled blockbusters. Some people complain that it is too slow, but really when you look at Heat, it had the same structure, which was a slow build as Pacino's team and Deniro's team tried to outmanuever the other until an action climax. The majority of Heat and Miami Vice is mostly talking, strategy, and investigation and not action.

Collateral might be looked upon as better, and I could see where it kept a constant feeling of tension. The other complaint that I see that is common is that it wasn't true enough to the old TV series, which I think is ridiculous given that they certainly couldn't take the "Wedding Singer" approach to it and dress everyone in pastel and Alligator shoes with no socks. The credibility would've been shot before you got 1/4 of the way into the movie.

My favorite complaint to laugh at is that the new actors don't have the same charisma as the old ones. Honestly now, do they even remember that it was Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas? The prior has never been an A list actor and the latter hasn't acted in so long that he resorted to being a spokesman for Psychic Readers Network before being replaced by Mrs. Cleo! To be more fair about it, of course some people feel that the old actors had more charisma, they had 6 years to build on their characters, while Farrell and Foxx have 2 hours.

I think it's a solid Mann movie which is still gold in any case. It won't topple Heat from the top, but I think it's near there.

• 3 months later...

I was just reading IGN's REVIEW of the DVD, and it sounds like the Unrated Director's version is somewhat different from the theatrical version. Is it different enough to change the opinions of die-hard Vice fans? I doubt it, but it may at least warm JsARC's reception of the film to from "icy" to "tepid." I'll post some comments when I have the DVD in my greasy mitts.

It only adds about 7 minutes of footage. A boat race in the beginning with a proper credits sequence, which helps to set up what happens at the club a bit more. Also another scene later on helps to set up what happens to Trudy later on. Other than that, just a few added shots (nothing big) and the music for the last 30 minutes is all switched around. Not a huge change by any means, just makes a few things clearer.

I've recently watched all of season one (just started season two), and I gotta say that I don't buy the hatred of 'hard-core' Vice fans at all. The movie has SO MANY similarities to the TV show, albeit not very obvious or pronounced ones... It really does feel just like a modern episode of Miami Vice. The only thing different are the actors/characters (Farrel's Crockett is very different from Johnson's) and the obvious changes of the time (music, fashion).

It's paced like an episode, it's shot like an episode, and has lots of little tie-ins with the TV show. Frankly, I love them both.

Contrary to the accusations of others, I do not "hate" this new movie... I simply choose not to see it. It does not interest me, mostly because it is not what Vice is to me. Vice to me is Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas wearing '80s clothes, driving an '80s car. I feel the same way about Macross... to me it's the original TV series and DYRL, everything else I choose not to pay attention to.

Really the only part about this DVD release that has raised my eyebrow is that you can buy the HD DVD with the normal DVD. That is what HD DVD needs to do to totally eclipse Blu-ray in this next gen battle. Lord knows I'd buy a HD DVD player tomorrow if all movies from now on came with BOTH formats for one price.

Saw it on DVD and damn... I think I actually hate this film. There's no chemistry between Farrell and Foxx, the plot was thin and the movie ultimately made me feel like I had wasted a few hours watching it.

I'm not going to compare it to the original Vice series because there's no point in doing so. The movie and the TV series are about two completely different things. Actually, I'm not even really sure what the hell the movie was about. Was it about two undercover cops that almost lost themselves by going too deep? Or two undercover cops that f-ed up and ultimately let the bad guys get away (whoops, spoiler alert)? It was just all over the place.

Vice to me is Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas wearing '80s clothes, driving an '80s car.

Not to mention shooting '80s guns! :D

One of the things I loved about the series was seeing the Bren Ten and later S&W 645/4506 in action.

Anyway, still haven't seen the movie.

Graham

I hated the movie but I enjoy watching it anyway. Put that YF-19 down and go and watch it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it also.

Hola, Chico!

Extended edition? Hmm...I assumed that all of the MV discs were extended, with the note at the beginning of the movie that states as much. Is that the one? If it is, I love how they just cut everything together into one longer movie, without having to make it so as an option in the menu...

Edited by myk

Also, to add, Mann's commentary is fantastic.

I totally agree, Mann records great commentary tracks. They always do a good job illustrating what an amazing filmmkaer he is, with the amount of background research and prep work put into his films. Almost as ridiculous as how often the more striking segments of his films tend to be based on real events that actually happened, i.e. the coffee shop scene in Heat.

Anyone else get the extended edition? I want to know if its worth checking out.

Yeah it's worth it. After all, you're probably paying the same price for both versions, so why not get more in the end? Of course, the whole MOJO race in the beginning wasn't really necessary, but hey...

Watched it last night and the action and undercover sequence scenes were good along the Michael Mann cop movies. I did not like 55 minutes into the film up to the 1 hr. 30 min. mark was pretty much Colin Farrel being all cutesy and goo goo eyes with Gong Li, where was the action? There wasn't really any interaction between Crocket or Tubbs, they were pretty much just walking behind each other during the movie. Overall, the action was good, plot insipid, and the romance aspects totally boring. I'm going to go have to rewatch Heat instead.

After watching it on dvd again, I have to say my opinion on the movie has cooled somewhat but it's still enjoyable. Some of the lines are just atrocious like in the scene with the first meet with Jose Yero where Crockett says my mommy and daddy know me or where they go on about "Oye chico, that's some crazy wallpaper, is that Jackson Pollock? No, that's Jose Yero." The other problem being noticeable is that like others say that some of the actors fail to bond or have chemistry in any of their scenes (Farrell - Gong Li, Farrell - Foxx). I'd also say that Jose Yero was pretty much a lame duck as a main antagonist and many of the things they wrote him to do only served to weaken him as a character.

It would have been nice for them to establish what was going to be done about the leak in Washington, but thats left out there like a hanging chad.

Other than that, Mann is a master artist with the way he shot things. The locations in all the scenes were always beautiful.

Here's a question for people out there that someone can answer. With the scene where Tubbs flew the plane right behind the other plane to get into US undetected on radar, couldn't that be done all the time to sneak in all sorts of planes? Or is that movie magic?

Here's a question for people out there that someone can answer. With the scene where Tubbs flew the plane right behind the other plane to get into US undetected on radar, couldn't that be done all the time to sneak in all sorts of planes? Or is that movie magic?

Considering the radar screen was real (not special effects) then yeah, I'd say it could be done. Certainly couldn't be easy though.

After watching it on dvd again, I have to say my opinion on the movie has cooled somewhat but it's still enjoyable. Some of the lines are just atrocious...

Sonny: "So Rita, where are you from?"

Rita: "Portugal."

Sonny: "But you got your tan in Miami, right?"

There were alot of scenes and lines that were just wierd or downright awful-I will never get over that "Hola Chico, Hola Chica" bit, as I can still remember the entire theater erupting in laughter during that and other awkward moments. Nevertheless, Mann is a master at showing and exploiting beautiful locales, making Miami Vice enjoyable if not slightly corny...

Considering the radar screen was real (not special effects) then yeah, I'd say it could be done. Certainly couldn't be easy though.

I am an Air Traffic Controller, while it may be possible, it would be highly unlikely. We would notice the dual primary targets. Now, we may think it would just be a ghost or echo of the main primary target that is using its transponder, but after a certain period of time and it didn't go away, it would certainly raise alarms to us....particularly to controllers who are particularly use to having a problem with drug runs in their area, but hey it's just a movie and a fun one at that, and like I said...it is possible.....just VERY unlikely.

Chris

P.S. I haven't rewatched the movie yet, but I'd like to see what they used for the radar screen, I can't remember.

Edited by Dobber