Hey, no complaining about prices

but in another thread, I already mentioned the releases are too close

And I'm lucky having no interest in the VF0 or YF19

Some may remember me being seriously Pissed off when the GPB-Repaint,

Stealth, and LV-2 came out within 2 months

Yamato's wonderful releaseschedule already made me skip the GPB v.2

another $100 they could have gotten if they gave this consumer some

breathingroom

in the end they're shooting themselves in the foot making potential buyers go thru

3rd party (/2nd hand) sellers, since these weren't able to get the funds before

stock ran out

But hey,.. I never studied economy/consumer psychology

I can only image how tough it is for the hardcore collectors out there. So many new releases so close together must be a real kick in the wallet. Luckily for me for the most part, I only buy what I really want.

I can also understand if one is trying to kick the valk habit it is a good idea to avoid temptation and leave the community. Anyone who's tried to quit smoking knows the last thing you should do is hang out with a bunch of smokers.

I also have to admit from time to time I too question my addiction to valks. I currently own five 1/48's, and one 1/60 VF-0S, which compared to some is barely a collection, but never having been the "collecting" type it sometimes feels excessive. The funny thing is, even as I write this, I know my collection will be growing. To make things worse, I have a girlfriend who not only puts up with my addiction, but has fueled it by recently buying me a 1/48 Hikaru VF-1J and a GBP-1S armour set. I guess what I find weird is this is the first time I've felt the desire to collect anything, but I think that's because IMO the 1/48 is the first toy worth collecting.

I currently own five 1/48's

421014[/snapback]

only 5?

-

"Rehab is for Quitters!!!"

421030[/snapback]

I know... Compared to some around here that is nothing, but for someone like me that has never bought multilpules of any toy this expensive (re-color or not) five sometimes makes me feel like I might be developing a problem. :D

4 years ago i was still studying in university and spent my saved up scholarship money on a then-released VF-1S Roy Focker in Australia (not my home country, but where i was studying). I thought that thing was awesome and would be the only 1/48 i'll ever own.

4 years into the future i now have....6-7 1/48s....i even have one extra VF-1S roy hidden somewhere which i bought for cheap and for purposes of customising one day. -__-;;

Fortunately everything safe the Roy and Hikaru 1S and VF-0S were bought at below retail prices.

4 years ago i was still studying in university and spent my saved up scholarship money on a then-released VF-1S Roy Focker in Australia (not my home country, but where i was studying). I thought that thing was awesome and would be the only 1/48 i'll ever own.

4 years into the future i now have....6-7 1/48s....i even have one extra VF-1S roy hidden somewhere which i bought for cheap and for purposes of customising one day. -__-;;

Fortunately everything safe the Roy and Hikaru 1S and VF-0S were bought at below retail prices.

421117[/snapback]

hahaha, I thought the same thing when I bought my first 1/48.. I'll just get this ONE because this is my favorite... 10 valks later, I'm wondering when my stealth is going to get here.

the thing is to work it out so your hobby doesn't cost you anything. basically sell whenever its profitable, wait, buy another and try to make your hobby free as possible. if you keep up with this(and you're somewhat lucky), you'll get most of your money back and your hobby will be somewhat free. i do with yammies, i do it with lego, i do it with skateboarding....now all i have to do is work it out so it works on women. :D

I currently own five 1/48's ...

I currently only own 2 Yamato 1/48's .... but plan on getting at least 2 more this fall.

:)

421102[/snapback]

unfortunatly I am a completist and will take food off the table for my family if thats what it takes to have "one of each"

not really, but a little too close sometimes in my collecting

Look, I dont see an issue if you wanted to collect one of everything in the macross toys. Technically, not many of you are like what Sithlord, Kensei, and I do: mass buying. Sithlord (correct me if I am wrong, sith) buys 4 of each to show in each mode and 1 MIB. Kensei (correct me if I am wrong Kensei) bought more for the customization only to see the customization is pointless now that the Angel Birds and Kakazaki DYRL is out. I mean Yamato could very well release a TV versions of the Max and Kakazaki... who knows: a grey Roy TV version VF-1S or the 2 seaters? As for my explaination of collecting so much: I am a just a fricking moron. ;). I was thinking of doing some customization as I did with Vf-1S max, blue angels, and vf-1a DYRL Kakazaki but for all purposes, I collected to make an airforce in hopes of making a Prometheus. I skipped on Capt America's conversion kit hoping I dont offend the Yamato gods in not keeping the faith of them making the 1/48 versions.

Regardless, most are not like me. Yes I am lucky to have a job that pays well, but as I discussed with my GF over the weekend, if I buy more of this stuff, it will bother her. Of course some issues I dont like of her but I wont get into that. Anyways, if I can control this to a minimal and to one or two toy genres like just macross and TFs, I am fine. Now am I spending all my money on it? No. I am not that stupid. I do save. I should save more but this is nature of the collectible toys. Now I have collected stupid toys and comics ala Ren and stimpy thinking it will be expensive. That is a mistake in collecting. If you are here to make a quick buck, then this isnt collecting. You are better off flipping condos to make more money. Now if you can do it, more power to you and you should own a toy store. I agree with Haterist's statements in trying to get some profit to fund your own stuff without hitting your pocketbook hard. But sometimes you always cant but that is fine. If I am not interested in stuff, I tend to sell it off. I have made some sacrifices and prolly more just to keep my macross items.

One thing we all have to know is go within your limit. If you have a family and able to provide for them and then more, then do it b/c you deserve to have a little something. But if choosing between your family and you to be fed, clothed, sleep in a place with a roof over their head or just to collect toys, that should be a no brainer. I told my GF, I will stop collecting and even sell of my collection for the sake of my family (if I do ever get one). This is not my obession but my hobby.

the thing is to work it out so your hobby doesn't cost you anything. basically sell whenever its profitable, wait, buy another and try to make your hobby free as possible. if you keep up with this(and you're somewhat lucky), you'll get most of your money back and your hobby will be somewhat free. i do with yammies, i do it with lego, i do it with skateboarding....now all i have to do is work it out so it works on women.

Another way is multiple income streams. Just sell all that stuff you know you never use to finance other things. I did this with my gamecube in the early days and every time a new good game comes out that I *need* to play I would buy a secondhand one just to play that game, and then sell it and the cube after I am finished. :D

Then years later you buy back the cube at discounted cost and look for the major titles you missed at low prices. (because the market value of a game goes down very quickly. Everyone who wanted to play it has pretty much played it and ultimately wants to be rid of older stuff they own) This would only work if you know you won't be using stuff. (I've bought a lot of games in the past which I never even opened from the shrinkwrap because I was too busy to play em)

This works with pretty much anything. Now if you can combine this with only choosing to wait for those big clearance sales you can save a lot. Space is limited so the price of things will fall. (but you must keep alert of the timing)

I don't really have the much issue with simultaneous release that much anymore since it is only a matter of time that yamato reissue stuff. (roy got reissued 5 times didn't he?) It at least gives those who want the stuff now the option to get it all in one hit, you know what I mean? My advice is if you are a "completist" collector who can't afford it all in one go: get all the stuff you know that isn't popular and may be in danger of not getting reissued often first, and the other stuff later. (or you may find that you'll be eating the cost of high ebay price for the *rare rare rare* stuff later out of the seller's belief it is discontinued so the high cost is justified.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Sithlord (correct me if I am wrong, sith) buys 4 of each to show in each mode and 1 MIB.  Kensei (correct me if I am wrong Kensei) bought more for the customization only to see the customization is pointless now that the Angel Birds and Kakazaki DYRL is out. 

421242[/snapback]

Nah you're right dude. I bought waaaaaaaaayyy too many now. :(

Regardless, most are not like me.  Yes I am lucky to have a job that pays well, but as I discussed with my GF over the weekend, if I buy more of this stuff, it will bother her. Of course some issues I dont like of her but I wont get into that.]

hehe, wait till your married, I thought my job paid well, till now <_<

Regardless, most are not like me.  Yes I am lucky to have a job that pays well, but as I discussed with my GF over the weekend, if I buy more of this stuff, it will bother her. Of course some issues I dont like of her but I wont get into that.]

421363[/snapback]

Ha ha ha ... good one mate!

:lol::lol::lol:

You know what?, we are just watting for a baby the next january 2007 and even with all the expensive bills of doctors, hospital and everything, my wife told me that continue with my collection, and with a good strategy of the economy you can keep with this hobby,,,I can tell you that, so I hope my baby wiil be as good valk collector as his father ......... ;);):D:D

421363[/snapback]

Eeeeeeee, tell me about it. I used to have a very healthy savings and little to no debt for my meager income, but since I got engaged and began sharing income with my fiancee...well, I'm about as much in the hole as I used to have in savings. Mostly wedding costs.

Still, ordered a cannon fodder 1/48 and the new low vis GBP armour, and plan to order the YF-19 once its released. Other than that, despite some I'd love to get like Kakizake and the VF-0A, I may hold off until next year. Two or three Valkyries a year isn't too much to ask, is it?

421363[/snapback]

Um she makes more than me! 10K more than me to be exact.

my wife made money too before our 1st kid, I did want her to stop working to raise our children, but as the old saying goes "if your not making it, your spending it",,, plus I havent worked any OT in the past year (about a friggin 30K out of pocket cut,,,,,,,,dont get me started)

I know how you feel, we got this idiot at my job at Staples who thought I can survive on 30 hours a week for the past three months. so far my finances suffered because of car payments insurance and other things like food and since my sisters friend decided to show up unannounced he spent most of the time sitting around eating up the food that I bought to last for three months and didn't do anything to replace that food, but he found the time to buy liqour and cigarettes. Any way my Q-Rau and the armor parts ofr my Hikaru 1J and the cannon fodder were the last pieces to my collection I gotten this year and had to cancel out on the stealth VF-1J because it was too pricey for me. I used to put small amounts of money in my paypal account to get these things, but not this year because of the @$$hole manager and the problem with my car. :(:(

HA!

I only own 3 Yamato Valks, all 1/60's. I look longingly at 1/48 pics...but I really just put my money towards my other hobby, videogame collecting.

But....I really would like one of those VF-0's......and a 1/48 Angel Bird. Might have to do something about that.

420672[/snapback]

I TOTALLY HEAR YA. Many of us here have interests in multiple "hobbies". With the prices these days, it's a real tight wire act trying to juggle them.

I know how you feel, we got this idiot at my job at Staples who thought I can survive on 30 hours a week for the past three months. so far my finances suffered because of car payments insurance and other things like food and since my sisters friend decided to show up unannounced he spent most of the time sitting around eating up the food that I bought to last for three months and didn't do anything to replace that food, but he found the time to buy liqour and cigarettes. Any way my Q-Rau and the armor parts ofr my Hikaru 1J and the cannon fodder were the last pieces to my collection I gotten this year and had to cancel out on the stealth VF-1J because it was too pricey for me. I used to put small amounts of money in my paypal account to get these things, but not this year because of the @$$hole manager and the problem with my car. :(  :(

421670[/snapback]

sorry to hear, if ya lived closer, I could help ya out with the car

HA!

I only own 3 Yamato Valks, all 1/60's. I look longingly at 1/48 pics...but I really just put my money towards my other hobby, videogame collecting.

But....I really would like one of those VF-0's......and a 1/48 Angel Bird. Might have to do something about that.

420672[/snapback]

I TOTALLY HEAR YA. Many of us here have interests in multiple "hobbies". With the prices these days, it's a real tight wire act trying to juggle them.

421711[/snapback]

With a six month lead in time.. all it takes is 20-30 dollars a month, set aside, to get a 1/48 or the new 1/60 valks.

something hit me the other day..think it's time for me to move on. i no longer feel the joy when i look at my toy cabinet..

with the new releases, im not enticed a single bit to get those valks, im staring to sell my toys already..it's been fun though

With a six month lead in time.. all it takes is 20-30 dollars a month, set aside, to get a 1/48 or the new 1/60 valks.

I don't think there was a 6 month lead time before the Max reissue was annouced ...

:(

421808[/snapback]

Thats maybe true but everyone kept talking

about the possibility of it resurfacing.

I don't think there was a 6 month lead time before the Max reissue was annouced ...

:(

421808[/snapback]

Thats maybe true but everyone kept talking

about the possibility of it resurfacing.

421811[/snapback]

it's also a reissue.

something hit me the other day..think it's time for me to move on. i no longer feel the joy when i look at my toy cabinet..

with the new releases, im not enticed a single bit to get those valks, im staring to sell my toys already..it's been fun though

421800[/snapback]

does this mean ur gonna sell some extra 1:48 goodies??? ;)