I'm Done With Toys

DatterBoy

well, mostly YAMATO's...

You know how comics used to be 75 cents? And candy bars were like 25 cents? Well toys used to be 3-6 bucks, the ones we wanted anyhow. Somehoe, someone figured out that those dudes who bought the 3-6 dollar toys in their youth would pay 100+ for toys in their adulthood and then laced it with heroin... now we're screwed and they pummel us to the point that we ruin ourselves with the anticipation and finances required to obtain the stuff.

As KingNor said to me, I think it's time for an overhaul.

I'm swearing off toys for good (I hope) and it all began with the VF-0S. I wanted that thing, very badly, but it was the most expensive valk to date. And now, there's a parade of pricey valks. All of which I would love to have, but would require a small bank loan to actually pull off.

Overkill, me thinks.

Farewell, forum peeps. I'm sure most of you don't know me, but it's been swell. Time for me to move on. If I come into large sums of money, I'll be back!

DAMN YOU YAMATO!

OH NO! WE'RE LOSING HIM...

GIVE ME 10CCs OF YOSHINOL STAT! YOU GRAB THE DEFRIBRILLATOR!

EVERYONE CLEAR!!!

*SHOCK!*

BOBEPAT... GIVE HIM AIR!

ewww... what are you doing... use that pump thing... gross!

OK STAND CLEAR. LET'S HIT HIM ONE MORE TIME...

CLEAR!

*SHOCK!*

DAMN... We lost him...

Time of death... 2:21 PM

May the froating head save his soul.

He coulda just bought those crappy 1/100s...

*beep*

:blink::o

I'm with you dude!!!!!!!

I have enough toys to last me a lifetime now. Other than supporting our friendly re-cast and decal experts I am done, too.

If Yamato would do me a favor and cut the prices or slow down the release schedule then perhaps I could keep up.

But as it stands now I can't do it any more.

Edited by Skull-1

I'm leaning that way myself what with how finances are going right now, and lets face it the collectable toy is not the most kid friendly. Heck right now I am considering starting to sell some of my stuff off. I think datterboy really hit the nail on the head though, all these toys now are designed less for play and more for the collectors market. I love my yammies, and think they are great but no way I would let the kids even touch them, they are more like an investment, but I wonder whether that invest was really worth it now, especially now.

Exactly. What's the point of the investment, especially if you accidentally break the fragile thing? Oh can you imagine the horror of snapping a back plate hinge or something devastating like that?

EEEEEK!

that's a smart move dude. you resist the temptation and you are gonna have more cash to use it wisely. i just think if you just buy what you really need and try not to over spent on stuff that you really dont need, then you will be in good shape. take care, kyatsu

for me, I collect toys (ymaato) not till I reach my saturation point (if you know what I mean)...then, once in a while Ill sell some of them, little by little....and after that, begin collecting again....and again, and again...that way I dont actually spend a lot of money on toys...because I know someday Im gonna sell them back...I may lose 10-20 bucks but well, for the sake of a hobby, Im sure some of you have more expensive hobbies than this. well, i dunno, I wont call it a hobby because all I ever do is buy, play with it, display it, then sell it back when Im tired of the design. maybe for the sake of actually owning a macross toy after not being able to get any decent macross toys in my childhood (I'm from Malaysia).

well yeah, some of us are more fortunate and can buy multiples but I limit myself to only one per release , or at least one per design (sold most of my toys now...) Now I only own the hard-to-find one's like the LV, joke machines, and a few regular ones like 1S Roy Hikaru Koenig etc..

I dont blame Yamato because we have the choice whether to buy the toys or not. Just keep it to your budget, be realistic and most importantly, Prioritize

...and you'll be fine

just my 2 cents

This is why it's important to sell off you old stuff before it loses value. I bet if people had known the yf19 was going to come out, they would have already offloaded thier 1/72 while it was still going for good price from collectors. (remember collectors might be the guy who buys your old stuff at a high price too, not just an evil fat ugly kid out to rip people off by selling them at an inflated price :D )

The trick is to buy stuff you actually want rather than trying to get everything. By very selective about what you like. (for me it is tv series valks. I love my super max 1J and tv cannon fodder, thanks yamato! I think if you were a lucky guy who got a low vis and need cash to buy more valks, I would sell the LV to a collector and use the money towards something else)

One of the reasons I don't bother posting a gallery is because I don't really havea huge collection of valks myself, just very enthusiastic about the ones I own. (it's not some olympic event - people say "catching up" as if it is some race)

Prices for things will fall down as newer stuff comes out. I bet people who were fans of 1/60 or 1/72 would be happy that they could get a bargain due to some other person wanting to upgrade to something else and selling cheap. It is funny though that some people complain about yamato flooding the market with too many of the same thing, when only a few years ago people were worried about a macross drought. You can't please some people..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

this is why i'm swearing off the 1A Max reissue (have a 1S Max and a Kurt 1A-TV), and going to skip the kazikaki since I need to pay for the 0A.

I had planned on getting at least one of each, but I just can't justify the costs anymore with another mouth to feed on the way. I didn't like the CF, I think I traded it w/i a month of getting it.

i skipped the low vis 2. the hikaru 1a, the max 1J, (i just didn't like the blue, not dark enough), i had a low-vis for 3 days

i have yet to transform my garland, i combined my voltron and have not touched it since, i still haven't opened up my alphas from the time they came out....

when i get the 0A, I'll probably just leave it in fighter mode.

now the 19, that I will budget for and get maybe 2...

No one is forcing anyone to buy of every valk released.

What is the issue here?

420225[/snapback]

Point well taken, but of course, you would have to agree with the fact that prices for YAMATO Valks in general are just getting ridiculous, VF-0S in particular, just like our boy DAT points out!

Yep, he doesn't have to leave the community, but it would kinda suck, if he stays on a toy forum, and say he's quitting toys at the same time...It kinda defeats the purpose of quitting... :blink:

Anyway, maybe its just overwhelming frustration, but everyone has a choice and I guess we have to respect his decision to quit...

Solution:

-be more selective only buying what you really want (leave the non-canon stuff for "obsessed collector")

-save up (there is no race - treat it like saving up for a masterpiece prime or master piece SS - quality vs qauntity.)

The solution doesn't mean you have to quit altogether. Just think of all the poor people who had to pay $1000 for a chunky munky. :D

I actually like that there is a lot of releases because now there is more choice beyond DYRL valks. Yeah some people are getting sick of vf1, but having different paintscheme is more exciting than just reissue imo. And just when the YF19 is coming out...that's got to be the worst time to quit. I feel more sorry for all the people waiting for this (years) than those complaining about prices.

This would be an opportunity for me to buy in bulks as many are or planning to jettison their collection. More available 1/48 Valks for me! And being single definitely has no distraction with my personal collection. A bonus there as Cindy Lauper says "Girls they just wana have fun."

Edited by Agent-GHQ

Meh, just buy the ones you *really* want. No need to get out completely.

Lol-I hope he sticks around long enough to read that piece of sound advice. I mean, I'm way past the "gotta' get 'em all" mentality of toy collecting, and there are countless other ways I'd rather spend money, but there's no need to get all fired up about it.

Personally, I hate the Fruit of the Loom Company. Every f**king year they come out with a different color or pattern of underwear that we have to buy-who the F**K do they think they are?! Bastards!!!

Edited by myk

What is the issue here?

420225[/snapback]

Point well taken, but of course, you would have to agree with the fact that prices for YAMATO Valks in general are just getting ridiculous, VF-0S in particular, just like our boy DAT points out!

420238[/snapback]

Actually, I've noticed that the latest ones are a bit cheaper, the ones for preorder that is.

I think the prices for Ferrari's are ridiculous. I don't see why they can't market a Ferrari within the $12 to $16K range?

Dude, if people can't pay to play then get off da' field...

DatterBoy - Sorry to hear about your frustrations mate. I agree that the prices of 1/48 Yamatos are expensive, but like many others' advice, the solution is simple: only buy what you want and can afford.

Actually, I'm impressed you have the will power to give up this crack, er, valkyrie addiction!!

:p

What is the issue here?

420225[/snapback]

That is the issue. Since nobody is forcing us...we can actually just stop.

The only Yamato I ever bought was the 1/60. I thought it was crap, so I sold it. I was ecstatic when I hear about the 1/48 perfect variable. But when I saw the ugly, downward-sloping nosecone, and the fat-ass canopy, and the low-hanging arms and shoulders, there was no way I was gonna drop over a hundred bucks on it. Especially with backpacks breaking. And then there was the Garland fiasco.

So yeah, Yamato is pricing mediocre or QC problemed toys insanely high. People buy them up, though. What can I say, there's a sucker born every minute.

The VF-0, though...now that one is nearly perfect as far as I can tell. I do plan on getting an 0A. The upcoming YF-19, on the other hand, well...I can't believe people are going to shell out for that fat-necked monstrosity.

Edited by danth

So yeah, Yamato is pricing mediocre or QC problemed toys insanely high. People buy them up, though. What can I say, there's a sucker born every minute.

The VF-0, though...now that one is nearly perfect as far as I can tell. I do plan on getting an 0A. The upcoming YF-19, on the other hand, well...I can't believe people are going to shell out for that fat-necked monstrosity.

As I mentioned if only we could buy these local, (no importing) it might make is easier on the wallet. Also when something like the garland fiasco happens for macross stuff, we can get some kind of support and maybe replacement parts or something. I can sympathise with those who always wait for second releases of stuff to avoid the risk of poor QC and this is why I hope yamato at least have the right atitude about making improvements in later releases and stuff. (ie fix the GBP door mechanism, tighten joints, make the backpack piece more sturdy, more tampo printing etc)

What is the issue here?

420225[/snapback]

The issue is that I would like to be able to buy one of each but because Yamato is releasing them so fast I have to skip about three or four different models before I can buy one. P*sses me off...

That and the fact that QC is sorely lacking for the price.

Edited by Skull-1

I m agree with vermillion21 i think is very difficult that someone that is collecting this kind of toys, quit that simple, I think you are a little bit angry about the last massive issues of yamato valks, is a matter of time that you start to collect again :p:p:p !!!!!!

well, mostly YAMATO's...

You know how comics used to be 75 cents?  And candy bars were like 25 cents?  Well toys used to be 3-6 bucks, the ones we wanted anyhow.  Somehoe, someone figured out that those dudes who bought the 3-6 dollar toys in their youth would pay 100+ for toys in their adulthood and then laced it with heroin... now we're screwed and they pummel us to the point that we ruin ourselves with the anticipation and finances required to obtain the stuff.

I'm swearing off toys for good (I hope) and it all began with the VF-0S.  I wanted that thing, very badly, but it was the most expensive valk to date. And now, there's a parade of pricey valks.  All of which I would love to have, but would require a small bank loan to actually pull off.

Overkill, me thinks.

Farewell, forum peeps.  I'm sure most of you don't know me, but it's been swell.  Time for me to move on.  If I come into large sums of money, I'll be back!

DAMN YOU YAMATO!

420172[/snapback]

Gotta agree with you, too. Yamato has REALLY burned me out as of recent. I am going to get the VF-0S and A along with the Angel Bird VF-1A, but just these three items alone will cost me over $450. This is starting to become rediculous. :p

well, mostly YAMATO's...

You know how comics used to be 75 cents?  And candy bars were like 25 cents?  Well toys used to be 3-6 bucks, the ones we wanted anyhow.  Somehoe, someone figured out that those dudes who bought the 3-6 dollar toys in their youth would pay 100+ for toys in their adulthood and then laced it with heroin... now we're screwed and they pummel us to the point that we ruin ourselves with the anticipation and finances required to obtain the stuff.

I'm swearing off toys for good (I hope) and it all began with the VF-0S.  I wanted that thing, very badly, but it was the most expensive valk to date. And now, there's a parade of pricey valks.  All of which I would love to have, but would require a small bank loan to actually pull off.

Overkill, me thinks.

Farewell, forum peeps.  I'm sure most of you don't know me, but it's been swell.  Time for me to move on.  If I come into large sums of money, I'll be back!

DAMN YOU YAMATO!

420172[/snapback]

Woah, woah, there little buddy. Since you're calling it quits and it's mostly due to nostalgic prices. How about you sell me all you 1/48 Yammies for 3-6 bucks each.

At least well both be happy. ;)

I think the prices for Ferrari's are ridiculous.  I don't see why they can't market a Ferrari within the $12 to $16K range? 

Dude, if people can't pay to play then get off da' field...

420266[/snapback]

Hmmm...So Yamato should space their releases to allow U.S. fans, who shouldn't even have their toys anyway, time to keep up with their schedule? Somehow I don't think that Yamato board members have that idea on their agenda; they're a business after all and will do as they please.

I think it's funny that some people feel "obligated" or "forced" to buy everything. Just buy what you really want! Do you really have to have the 500th repaint of the whatchamacallit?

Edited by myk

I agree, get what you need (just one of each Model perhaps)... and hopefully you don't have to quit COLD TURKEY.

I know (as in more than just aquaintances) many that can't afford even one 1/48 (but loves Transforming toys), and I know someone that can afford 10B/$150 = well, let's just say Yamato Co. it self would be done in many times over (who wouldn't give 2 Sh*ts about Macross/Robotech)... and a lot in between. P.S. I'm finacially close to the "lesser" dudes and many lifetimes away from the "top" dude.

I've been lurking since '99 and all it takes a few replies and a whole lotta beer for me to come outta my gopher hole.

First off, yes some people can afford what ever they need/want and some can't. But it's not cool for some to belittle the "pain" of a person who well... would love to obtain more than he can afford (especially when it's just another $150 toy... not a $150,000 Ferrari!).

Life's about what's really important, and that's family, friends, and true happiness. And happiness shoulnd't be measured in what "league" he/she is in.

Dudes, if you can afford to keep you hobby going, that's great 'cause Macross toys (to me at least) are beyond anything else. If not, don't sweat it, maybe you'll come back to it one day, maybe not. But it's the appriciation of these great figures (stories) that draws us all together, and that should be more than enough to be a proud MACROSS WORLD member.

Peace-Out...

i have yet to transform my garland, i combined my voltron and have not touched it since, i still haven't opened up my alphas from the time they came out....

420218[/snapback]

Ha ha ha! Chowser, I feel your pain. I have stuff I bought off ebay and here 7 years ago that I still have not even opened the brown box it was shipped to me in. Its like Christmas everytime I go in my garage, my attic, uder my bed, in my closet, or anywhere else I can cram stuff. I should probably swear off toys too. At least for a few years. Until I get some of that sq. footage in my house back into living space instead of storage space.