I'm Done With Toys

DatterBoy

something hit me the other day..think it's time for me to move on. i no longer feel the joy when i look at my toy cabinet..

with the new releases, im not enticed a single bit to get those valks, im staring to sell my toys already..it's been fun though

421800[/snapback]

does this mean ur gonna sell some extra 1:48 goodies??? ;)

421890[/snapback]

hahaha... the vultures are circling this thread...

Specially me... :D

Yeah these are luxury stuff so just buy them when you have extra money. And you don't have to keep buying to be part of this place or just keep tap on the Macross toys - I only got one 1:55, 1:60 and 1:48 volks. And like many other mass produced toys you can usually buy them again when they re-issue.

The real scam are those randomly packaged poo - pokemon cards, bionical masks etc. They make extremely high profit over what will be completely worthless once the fade is over.

i agree totally with the op. i stopped collecting after I received the first 1/48 valk. at nearly $150usd a pop and the sheer number of variants out its simply too difficult to collect them. another reason why i dont hang around as much.

I hate to say this, but I've decided I'm not getting the VF0A. *sob* Which sucks. I'm just going to keep my money for the YF19, and the YF21, whenever it comes out. There's just too much stuff all at once! Gotta' keep my priorities straight. Macross Plus kicks azz, and keeping this in perspective is priority #1. (Also I just bought a ton'a' stuff for my kid's b-day and I'm dropping another 30 bucks on a paranoia agent plush pillow for my wife)

My eyes are on your LV....

421897[/snapback]

well im already listing stuffs in sgcollect and yahoo, but no kensei the Low Vis is gonna stay. im hitting my locals for stuffs first, before putting it out here, that's becos i find it really silly to ship BIG boxes to u guys especially in the states, the shipping's gonna kill. i don't think it's gonna be fair to MWers here, of course unless people dont' want Boxes.

My eyes are on your LV....

421897[/snapback]

well im already listing stuffs in sgcollect and yahoo, but no kensei the Low Vis is gonna stay. im hitting my locals for stuffs first, before putting it out here, that's becos i find it really silly to ship BIG boxes to u guys especially in the states, the shipping's gonna kill. i don't think it's gonna be fair to MWers here, of course unless people dont' want Boxes.

422114[/snapback]

what do you know??? were on the same island izzy..... :lol:

Edited by mojacko

Ya I dropped off the Yamato buying binge awhile ago. Just too expensive. I knew something was up when I looked at my toys and said "what a waste of money". I sold off almost all of my Macross stuff(1/48s, 1/55s, 1/60s. books, misc toys, etc) in the past year. Hell I've stopped buying toys altogether and drastically cutback on anime purchases. The only hobbies I still have are music, videogames and weight training(if that's considered a hobby lol)

Hell yeah! Yamato's gotten out of control. Sure they're beautiful toys, but goddamn it's rediculous! I've sworn off toys for the most part as well, at least yamato. I wanted a 1/48 so badly, then I got a 1/48 Roy. Then I had to have a YF-19, and I got one. Now, I have neither. The ONLY 1/48 I still have is the super stealth VF-1J and a display stand for it. I mean, you pay 100-175 for what? What do you really do with it?! You know what saved me? Gundam PG and 1/60 kits. Sure, they're as much as the valks, but at the same time, you actually DO something with them. Even after you build them, you can look at them and say "Yeah, I BUILT that" instead of "Yeah, I bought that" I mean I'll admit I still piss around with some of my toys, I have some cheap Gundam figures, and I bought toynami's 1/100 valks to play with. The only toys I'm still actively collecting are Takara MP (I cannot wait for Starscream, from the looks of things he'll decimate any valk) and Transformers Classics when they come out. I find that Macross models are pretty rewarding though, I like the variable ones. I have a couple and they were fun, and not nearly as expensive.

I mean, you pay 100-175 for what? What do you really do with it?!

Put it in a display cabinet with the others. Put them in an interesting pose. Put them on a yamato stand in fighter mode. Transform them into various modes for fun. Feel good that you have a variety of different mecha from an old tv series that ordinarily should be dead. Most people were complaining that there is nothing to lok forward to a few years ago.

For me I barely touch the koenig monster (way too scared to transform it often) but like to look at it because it is such a mean looking mecha. It beats what I see in most of transformers (who have lots of useless parts hanging off thier bodies) or gundam (not very consistantly good designs) or other robot shows because it melds a bit of realism with a bit of fantasy. I think of the robots as like a piece of art and admire the engineering and imagination that goes into them. They are machines but there is a certain "attitude" to them. (especially in battroid modes. YF21 just plain looks cool as does the yf19. With the vf11 looking awesome in fighter mode)

I suppose like any mecha fan, I want the things to be real. So the next best thing is to get small scale toys of them. When you watch what they do in the show, you would understand. Some of my favourite mecha fights happen in the shows the toys are based on. I'm happy there are toys being made of these particular mecha because frankly I think they are such unique designs to begin with that having an accurate perfect transforming 3d representation of them is what any fan of the shows would die for.

There is also the appeal is guessing how they transform - it is like a puzzle. I was amazed how complex the transformations of some of the toys are. (transforming my first alternator convinced me to get back into transformers, as one of the reasons I grew out of them was how I had memories of robots that looked horrible from the 80s and didn't resemble the cartoon or match the articulation I expected.)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Ok I'm a liar...I just got a VF-0S and VF-0A (when it comes out) for 210 shipped. I had to jump on it. Furthermore, I'm buying the 1/60 YF-19 and YF-21 and the 11b if it comes out. But that's Macross Plus, so it doesn't count because no self respecting anime fan would dare go without a 1/60 YF-19!

Bunch of weirdos, what you have is a mental state, some sort of illness, iF you wanna stop buying japaneese toys you need some rehab (like getting married, having kids... MAYOR stuff) otherwise you are just an bunch of annoying bailarinas.

What we have is an addiction, and it is not a bad one, so keep it up or suth the fuc...k up.

As far as Yamato goes, I still remember buying ABS bricks (takas) for 500 a pop on eBay, so now it is all good.

AND we have SOCs, life cant be better, no shelf space? get a bigger house, wife is mad? just think on how much of your sallary goes on her shopping, no money? get yourself a better job or into TOY rehab.

Bunch of weirdos, what you have is a mental state, some sort of illness, iF you wanna stop buying japaneese toys you need some rehab (like getting married, having kids... MAYOR stuff) otherwise you are just an bunch of annoying bailarinas.

What we have is an addiction, and it is not a bad one, so keep it up or suth the fuc...k up.

As far as Yamato goes, I still remember buying ABS bricks (takas) for 500 a pop on eBay, so now it is all good.

AND we have SOCs, life cant be better, no shelf space? get a bigger house, wife is mad? just think on how much of your sallary goes on her shopping, no money? get yourself a better job or into TOY rehab.

422783[/snapback]

And there you have it Valkaholics

Ok I'm a liar...I just got a VF-0S and VF-0A (when it comes out) for 210 shipped. I had to jump on it. Furthermore, I'm buying the 1/60 YF-19 and YF-21 and the 11b if it comes out. But that's Macross Plus, so it doesn't count because no self respecting anime fan would dare go without a 1/60 YF-19!

422775[/snapback]

210.00??? Where?? C'mon spill it!!

Just finished talking with Datterboy on IM. I asked him why he is being so rash on giving up collecting Macross toys and that his thread is much talked about. He told me that he has nothing against Yamato but that he couldnt compete with all the other collectors out there. The many release is just overwhelming him. He also mentioned that he was really upset about the Jokemachine thread topic a while\back ago. He didnt like the fact that he was not considered the KING of joke machines. Having the most and best of it. I am sure he may come back but for now he just wants to be left alone. :(

Well he did say he was a liar :blink: .

422823[/snapback]

Ha ha ha

:lol::lol::lol:

But in all seriousness ... $210 for both the VF-0S and Vf-0A, where mate?!?!?

:huh:

422826[/snapback]

Well the VF-0S has problems: A half destroyed box, and that little tailfin problem, but i figure hell with it, it's still worth it. Anyone know how to fix that piece that snaps off? I was thinking about just sanding it down. Not to get off topic or anything...

As for the liar thing, that's what people said when I told them I got a YF-19 for 50 bucks on ebay...kind of regret selling it off, but I doubled my money on it and I'm so getting the 1/60 version...

That old thing is actually still a pretty decent toy considering the complex transformation and all. The diecast makes it a heavy toy. Mine doesn't suffer from any probs like floppy limbs or parts that look like they are stressed or anything. No loose swivel like the vf0 and nothing in danger of snapping.

But when the 1/60 is out, that is so going back in its box to make space for the big guy. Unlike collectors for me its not about trying to cash in or only going for things that are hard to obtain. It's more about the fact that I want the best representation in toy form of the mecha in the show/ova/movie.

Then when people who are familiar with the show and see it on display they may want to get one for themselves since they remember how awesome the mecha were in it. The conversion process over to valk collecting starts there and the jealousy of not having it kicks in once they see you transform it before thier eyes.

For those who have the loose swivelling vf0s, if you plan on getting multiples of that mecha maybe just have that one in fighter and the improved version in future in battroid? I don't think I'd want my Reactive armor-equiped valk to start flopping around and stuff. Even the 1/48 had its issues with limp wrists which is why people prefer the clown hands when holding the gunpod (unless it is posed holding the thing with two hands) I still hope they com up with a solution for that, as I'm not the biggest fan of yamato chicken hands.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

So who's the "A" hole that did this to Datterboy? I thought we are here to appreciate and support our love of Macross? Whats up with that!

422848[/snapback]

People were claiming that he was showing off his joke machines because he kept bumping his own threads showing his collection of joke machines off. Then someone proved him wrong that his collection wasnt the best that there was. Datterboy wanted the rep of being KING of joke machines. It became a flame war and got quite insulting on both sides. After that Datter never really posted anymore and now this. So I don't think we should point any fingers here saying somebody is an "A" hole.

Edited by stuffparties

It became a flame war and got quite insulting on both sides.

422917[/snapback]

Thats the main problem with forums you cant alway get your point across in the correct tone etc.

On one board some time ago I got flamed for saying that everyone should calm down when a full scale flame war was on. It ended with me withdrawing my support for the organization. Several modrators who were flaming every post I wrote in any of the topics ended up getting banned and their IP`s blocked.

It`s a shame when someone leaves. I just hope that Datterboy will come back someday.

There shouldnt be any flaming here as we all are here for the thing that we love "Macross " We all like it so If we steer clear of the three most argument inducing subjects we should be o.k

We should never talk about

1. Religion

2. Politics

3. Macross 7

If we stay away from those we should have a nice happy comunity here.

I closed this thread before I had my say cuz I was too busy playing online poker... :D

but basically the guy said he's quitting collecting because there was too much crap being pumped out by Yamato all at once... end of story. No drama, no hearsay. You guys are a bunch of cackling old ladies.