Toynami:

While the "Screw HG" sentiment is perfectly acceptable your blame would more aptly be put on Toynami.

427926[/snapback]

Well, HG gave the toy rights to Toynami. Really, I personally think HG should drop toynami like I droped 3rd period French and team up with yamato.

Edited by GobotFool

Well, HG gave the toy rights to Toynami. Really, I personally think HG should drop toynami like a bad habit and team up with yamato.

If my understanding is correct, HG gave Toynami the license and is a significant investor in Toynami. It's impossible to tell how the two companies are structured since they're both private. Indeed, HG may own such a stake in Toynami that they really could be the culprit for not simply telling Toynami that they HAVE to make the Beta. If HG doesn't own that much of a stake though then they're in a better boat than the rest of us but still not a good one. They definitely would want to recoup their investment in Toynami though so that would prohibit them yanking the license (and I'm sure there's legal reasons for that also). There are infiniti other investment/ownership possibilities... that's why for simplicity's sake, I say just blame Toynami (on this particular subject).

Truth is though, Toynami has probably done a good amount of market research, come up with some decent figures based on the sales of the first two MPCs, and has calculated what it would take to make a Beta profitable. They have probably showed that to all major investors and all major investors have agreed that the original proposal for the Beta is not a prudent action. So, maybe the people we should hate are the Gamestops and other vendors that won't be carrying MPCs anymore... but they'd blame the lack of demand... so maybe we should hate the people who don't buy Toynami products... but Toynami products didn't sell well because they weren't that good, so, in the end, we should hate Toynami.

While the "Screw HG" sentiment is perfectly acceptable your blame would more aptly be put on Toynami.

Jenius - Y'know, you are absolutely correct. I made a mistake, my bad.

I did mean "Screw Toynami" - they marketed a transformable BETA that would attach to their already released MPC ALPHA. This prompted me to buy 2 more Alphas to complete the set and show "support" for Toynami to further encourage them to develop the Beta. What a bunch of a$$clowns!!!

<_<

• 3 weeks later...

I like my Alphas (2 green, and 1 shadow), and was thinking about buying more for customizing (using extra UN Spacy kites I have around from my Yamato stickers, for example). ;) That skull squadron custom looked good, too...

I would buy a Beta/Tread, but not the first one (let others guinea pig). Green and Shadow for certain...

Unfortunately, both companies are private, so I should rephrase it from "my understanding" to "I was told" which certainly means the information may be incorrect. However, given their quick pairing and the quick growth of Toynami it seems to be a plausible, if not likely, scenario.

What kind of contact do you have? If you have a buddy at either company who is in the accounting department that ought to settle this outright. Typically though, in private companies, the only people who know who is investing where are upper management and the accountant's responsible for those transactions. Also, in the typical private company scenario, nobody is free to discuss such investments so all we can do is look at the big picture and guess at it. We can convolute things further by having a parent company or subsidiary invest in one or the other, especially if you're trying to achieve better tax leverage, but that's for a discussion on a much less exciting board..

Really though, it's all a moot point, the fact that HG gave Toynami an exclusive license means HG has a vested interest in Toynami's success if not on the same level as also owning a percentage of Toynami. Why go with *exclusive* licensing at all though if there isn't some money changing hands on the back end?

Edited by jenius

• 5 months later...

Nice how they didn't transform that Alpha correctly (nice wing Noob)!!!

I was thinking about it, with more Alphas coming out that just makes more likelihood for the Betas at some point. I really hope we get one as it will validate my owning so damn many Alphas...

If this is a final version, this is a pass for me.

Out of curiosity, what did you want to see in this toy that isn't present that is bumming you out? I can't tell from your comment if you just don't like the Beta (which is a big box with wings) or if you think this toy makes the fact it is a big box with wings too apparent.

Well, I'M still jonesin' for this thing.

The only thing I fear is that its forward end will look like crap when not attached to the alpha. Too much anime magic for it not to, unless they use swapable parts (which I hope they do).

That could be a deal breaker for me, as I've always liked the beta better as a stand-alone rather than as a booster.

But like I said, I'm glad to hear they are still at least trying to drum up interest with these displays.

I can understand some people sentiments about not liking the look of it, but the problem with the Tread really is that it;s a big goofy design with an odd transformation I think, and that fact can be abused to make it overpriced due to size alone... as far as I can tell, there;s not alot of detail that can be added to a Tread without going nuts like on that one lineart with all the antennas and such and that would just be more than a toy can handle... it's really just kinda a big bland design that happens to look prrtty cool all linked up...

Nice how they didn't transform that Alpha correctly (nice wing Noob)!!!

I was thinking about it, with more Alphas coming out that just makes more likelihood for the Betas at some point. I really hope we get one as it will validate my owning so damn many Alphas...

Out of curiosity, what did you want to see in this toy that isn't present that is bumming you out? I can't tell from your comment if you just don't like the Beta (which is a big box with wings) or if you think this toy makes the fact it is a big box with wings too apparent.

I do like the Beta design.. i think it fits in nicely with the moseada design aesthetic, namely function over form.

Here's why I don't like the toynami version, at least in this incarnation:

There's a big gap between the wings of the alpha and the body of the beta that isn't there in the anime. The anime version of the beta/alpha link up presents a much more uniform looking vehicle... this looks very much like the beta driver rear ended the alpha.

The level of detailing on the beta looks significantly less than on the alpha. I'm looking at the chest, shoulders, arms, hands... there's just a lot of flat empty space. Which is fine, but again, when it's paired up with the alpha, the two just don't look like they belong together.

There's a big gap between the wings of the alpha and the body of the beta that isn't there in the anime. The anime version of the beta/alpha link up presents a much more uniform looking vehicle... this looks very much like the beta driver rear ended the alpha.

The problem is that there's so much anime magic going on in the New Gen mecha that it's not funny. Making it happen on paper is one thing, making it in reality is quite another. I too would like the gap to be closer or not there at all, but I'm willing to accept some leeway.

The problem is that there's so much anime magic going on in the New Gen mecha that it's not funny. Making it happen on paper is one thing, making it in reality is quite another. I too would like the gap to be closer or not there at all, but I'm willing to accept some leeway.

some leeway is understandable... I don't grief over how far back the backpack sits in the GERWALK mode of the 1/48, for example... but to me, the beta/alpha link up just doesn't look like they work together.. that picture looks like a some carefully balanced an alpha on top of it. maybe it will change with the final version.

Yep, when I read Eugimon's first post I was like "Yeah, I totally see what he's talking about." So, I decided to scour my pic collection for stills of the Alpha/Beta to prove what his point was. Unfortunately, I only have one still of the two combined (most my stills of the Beta are it in battloid kicking butt). Here's the one still I have... looks like it pretty closely resembles the Toynami. That's probably just because the two combined looked better in some episodes than in others. As was said, LOTS of anime magic in Mospeada...

IPB Image

I wouldn't have minded if they left the cockpit present in the Alpha-Beta connection. Conceivably, it could have acted as another connection point for the two.

BTW, if Toynami really wants to impress the hell out of me, they could have dropped the chest down and shown a barrage of removable missiles. But more importantly, I just hope they make the shoulders rachet joints. Or else, this will be a floppy mess.

P.S.--Anyone else notice the wheel to the left of the Battroid Beta? Could it be a Cyclone/Ride Armor? :blink:(Nevermind, this is why I should look a little bit lower down the forum. :rolleyes: )

PPS--Hey, Jenius, wasn't there a head-on pic of the combined fighter in Mospeada's opening credits?

Edited by Mog

I'm not sure what is going on with the Betas as i remember reading that Toynami isn't going through with it. So then what's the point of showing mock examples at this years toyfare?

http://photos2.figures.com/gallery2/showgallery.php?cat=617

IPB Image

IPB Image

Whaaat? I don't recall the Beta being this squared off.. a little less right angles, a little more curved around the corners please?

Seriously, I'm having second thoughts on the Beta. Thankfully I've only gotten a Red Alpha..

Hmmm, the image that sticks most in my mind is of the shot of stick flying off, leaving earth. I don't have a screen grab of it but I'm pretty sure this image from robotech.com is taken from that scene (refering to the bottom image, of course)

IPB Image

compared to:

IPB Image

this is how I remembered the alpha/beta combo and I guess thats what I was expecting.

Edited by eugimon

Maybe they couldn't get hold of a complete 1/35 Gekken Thread because its so rare. Therefore they had problems rip..er..designing a Masterpiece Beta?

I'm pretty certain the Gakken Tread was significantly smaller than 1/35 (probably 1/72 scale or smaller? It doesn't mention the scale in Carl's article on the main website page.) But I understand your sentiment.

Honestly Hikaru's VF-1S, I wouldn't even start asking about different colors or anything at this point. I'd rather b!tch to high heaven about the Beta having:

* Solid, non-floppy joints (It'll be a disaster in fighter mode if this thing's arms flop);

* Solid connection points;

* No design flaws or brittle materials used; and

* Minimal die-cast (unless it's used to reinforce the connection points).

Besides, I've learned the hard way that, just because Toynami displays something at a toyfair/convention, doesn't mean we'll ever have it in our own hands.

And until that day comes, I ain't waking my Mog avatar out of his hibernation. ;)

The Gakken Tread (Lansey Tread) is 1/72 scale and is tiny. That toy would be absolutely useless in Toynami's hands. Check out my review of the 1/72 Alpha if you need to know why the 1/72 Beta would be so usless by clicking here.

Robotech.com made a big deal out of the Cyclones and Shadow Fighters on their page but no mention of the Beta. I think Mog has the right attitude just yet.