...and For My Next Trick...

captain america

Hi all.

Having recieved a great deal of feedback from my latest models, it seems that many of you feel that the Destroids have gotten a bit of a raw deal in modelling circles. Having looked-around myself, I am forced to agree with that statement... Which is why I would like to make the following announcement:

the next 1/72 "mo-suu-kaa-toh" hobby model will be a Destroid Phalanx.

Having said this, I would like to sculpt something that is "free pose", which is to say that the model may be built in any pose desired, and I would like to incorporate the following features:

-missile pod hatches which may be posed open or closed

-all-individual micro-missiles

Having said this, I would like to know how many people would be interested in a kit if indeed I did produce one? I will set a target price of $105, which I believe is reasonnable.

All interested parties please pm me with the following information:

-full name

-your full address

-email address

Those of you who already own my last piece can skip that step, as I already have your information. :p

Edited by captain america

105 is not a bad price at all considereing that the 20 year old plastic 1/72's got for between 50-80 bucks plus shipping.

To be blunt, is this price taking into account that the legs etc will be used on other kits in the line (thus making all of the 1/72 destroids with common legs cheaper), or will the cost of the following kits be lower?

...........you are going to release the Tomahawk and defender aren't you?

Cheers,

Berttt

105 is not a bad price at all considereing that the 20 year old plastic 1/72's got for between 50-80 bucks plus shipping.

To be blunt, is this price taking into account that the legs etc will be used on other kits in the line (thus making all of the 1/72 destroids with common legs cheaper), or will the cost of the following kits be lower?

Cheers,

Berttt

417044[/snapback]

Hi Berttt.

Having studied the lineart for the Destroids somewhat, I can say that the only leg components that are the same on the Phalanx and Tomahawk are the lower legs and the foot; everything else is custom-constructed.

As far as price is concerned, my aim is to maintain consistency in the pricing, so that if future variants are made, they will be about the same price. The key point to remember is that with artsy stuff of this nature, nothing is 100% certain: it all depends on how well (or not)one model is recieved, how the molding/casting goes, and most importantly, how I feel about working in a specific rut for a determined length of time.

Me too count me in as well..

I am just wondering if it will include the 2-3 different "heads" versions??

417176[/snapback]

This is something that truly bamboozles me. I have the Macross Perfect Memory book, and the lineart for the Phalanx is quite limited, but it looks to me that there's only one head... unless I'm missing something? :unsure:

Wow, you know... I've seen footage of that particular scene countless times, but I never noticed the different head. Must be old age creepin' up on me :lol:

I think that alternate head lookes wicked. I'll gladly make that as an option... Don't suppose there's any clean lineart of it, or is this the only known footage of it?

Cheers,

Berttt

417044[/snapback]

Hi Berttt.

Having studied the lineart for the Destroids somewhat, I can say that the only leg components that are the same on the Phalanx and Tomahawk are the lower legs and the foot; everything else is custom-constructed.

As far as price is concerned, my aim is to maintain consistency in the pricing, so that if future variants are made, they will be about the same price. The key point to remember is that with artsy stuff of this nature, nothing is 100% certain: it all depends on how well (or not)one model is recieved, how the molding/casting goes, and most importantly, how I feel about working in a specific rut for a determined length of time.

417051[/snapback]

Thanks John. ;)

Just as a point of discussion (since I don't own any art books) when you say "lower leg" is that from the knee down?

2 for me!

417271[/snapback]

Hi Frederic!

How are things going with your new "recast" anyway? Have you been getting decent shut-eye? :p

417295[/snapback]

Hell no! The baby sleeps all day but we can't cause the 4yo is awake. And we can't sleep at night cause the baby is awake. The only open slots for sleep are between 21h00 to 01h00ish, and 13h30 to 15h30. We're taking turns power napping for now. Man does he have it sweet though, this is his routine: suck on some tittie, burp & poo, sleep 30 minutes, repeat. nice.

This is the only other referance I've seen:

http://www.hobbyfan.com/product_info.php?products_id=90

Viceland, after a month or two, some formula will get you guys some sleep! (it's worth the money). The "recast" may not be getting enough, 30 minutes is a short time. We also kept our children up more and more each day. Whew, what a rought period that was! - MT

Here it goes another shot. May be not as accurate but I did my best a while ago while modding an exo squad one a couple of years back...

The "visors" or radar screens are angled in a weird way...

post-104-1153334997_thumb.jpg

Edited by 007-vf1

Hi Valkyrie.

That's very kind of you, but I can assure you that it won't be necessary. As is tradition with all my sculptures, I like to work almost exclusively with the source lineart to get the most authentic feel possible.

Though I've been known to improvise at times (controversially) with certain details, there won't be much of that on this baby, since it's a fairly prominent mecha. :ph34r:

Well had I been able to post when this threaad first started (vladidation issues, long story) I would say YES, I'm in and Sounds Great! and all that other jolly rot.

As it is, now I'm late.

Sounds great, prices looks good, can't wait to start seeing parts.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm currently working on my scale diagrams.

As an extra added bonus, Myersjesse was kind enough to send me a 1/72 japanese Phalanx resin kit to evaluate. I'm not sure if it's authentic or a recast, based on the quality, but I can promise you this: mine won't look ANYTHING like that :lol:

...And so it begins.

Step one: this chunk of modelling board is actually the Destroid Phalanx, it just doesn't know it yet.

For those of you who would like to follow along, I will be posting regular build updates here:

http://www.samurai-monkey.com/boardz/index.php

For those of you who've never visited, you will need to register in order to see all the threads--no lurkers allowed. B))

post-632-1153854716_thumb.jpg