Aircraft Vs Thread 3

I agree with the cornhusker... I understand a few of you are real afficionados when it comes to Boeing 7-whatevers, Airbus, etc... can we get back to fast-movers though? :p

And Richard, it's "When in Rome, do as many Romans as possible" ;)

Hey where's some of your Tomcat Sunset pictures? :D

I posted some pictures of the jet powered Shockwave truck over in the Transformers movie thread and actually convinced a person or two that that was the new design for Optimus Prime! :p

I took over 1,100 digital pictures at the Guardians of Freedom airshow a few weeks ago... a quarter of those pictures where of the Blue Angels! Before I post them, I have to go back through and pick a few select pictures and either reduce or crop them so they are just 100-200k or so instead of being 2-4MB.

Eh, 739ER is nothing more than a higher-weight 739. Physically identical to a base 739, but different door arrangement.

Anyways--yup, the SR-71 is a special case in that it is actually most efficient in afterburner, and does so for hours on end. So it's not supercruise. It's burnercruise. :) Basically, when over Mach 3, almost all the fuel goes to the afterburner, almost none to the turbojet. The turbojet basically ceases to function, most of the air is bypassed around it and goes straight to the burner. (in a totally different way than a turbofan) SR-71 design speed is Mach 3.2---any lower speed is less efficient. If it goes Mach 3.1, it won't have the range to complete its missions.

Interestingly, it actually becomes even more efficient when it goes faster--but the airframe can't take it. The SR-71's "high cruise" speed is 3.3, with an emergency dash speed of 3.35. On the few times these were authorized---they landed with extra fuel. :) (The SR-71's absolute limit is Mach 3.4---that will destroy the aircraft--don't give even a moment's thought to all the Mach 4+ rumors---a simple calculation of the Mach angle will show that the bow wave will intersect the wing leading edge around Mach 3.4, so that's the limit---and Blackbirds have been destroyed proving it)

Concorde normal cruise is officially 2.04, but typically holds right around 2.00. Highest in-service cruise was 2.23.

The Tu-144 is all-around faster, but its supercruise limit is 1.6 It can only do 2+ in burner. Well, the basic Tu-144D was. The LL is almost certainly faster, but nobody knows how fast. Estimated the thing could hit 2.5. (Certainly 2.4)

Hmm, how hard would it be to have turned the Concorde into a bomber (internal load)?

OK it won't carry that much payload but you'll have a long range supercruisin bomber right back in the 70/80s right?

The SR-71 is practically a ramjet at 3.2 right? Its not quite the traditional afterburner on virtually all other planes. Its 'supercruise' in the 'spirit of the term'.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

Hmm, how hard would it be to have turned the Concorde into a bomber (internal load)?

Hard.

And by hard I mean impossible.

There is a lot more to aircraft and aircraft design than basic airframe and engines.

Besides, by that time no one in the West was building high and fast bombers because they didn't want them, not because they couldn't make them.

It has been requested that I post some photos from my trip to the Tomcat Sunset ceremony... I've selected a very tiny sample of photos (all of them pertaining to the jets, I didn't re-size any from any of the parties I attended) I hope you enjoy!

Here's "Bandwagon 103", the high-visability ceremonial jet. I thought the scheme looked better on the low-vis bird, but everyone seemed to be after this one:

IPB Image

"Bandwagon 102", the ceremonical "taxi jet". This is the jet everyone believed would be flying the final flight.:

IPB Image

The ground crew lines up for the send-off:

IPB Image

Taxiing down to the arming area (pretty much out of sight of the public). The jet shut down there and another jet (already spooled up) took it's place:

IPB Image

"Bandwagon 107" made the ceremonial flight. VF-31 was bound and determined to have "Felix" on the ceremonial "last flight" jet (any astute observer without a camera would've noticed that this jet had drop-tanks and pylons on it...):

IPB Image

We then got a single weak-ass flyby at low speed and at high altitude... the crowd was very upset at this:

IPB Image

The reason behind this was later made clear. The day before (friday) the two "last cat" schemed jets nearly traded paint on a section take off (read: taking off together). Once the admiral of NAVAIR got wind of this, the order came down: "You get ONE JET, ONE PASS, with as little margin for error or mishap as possible!" Any "high-balling fighter spirit antics" would earn the respective pilot a one-way trip to the "dishonorable discharge" line and that would be the end of it. Hard to argue with the "safety" philosophy, but you can tell everyone was dissapointed.

However, we weren't rushed immediately off the flight line. In fact, things got pretty interesting! A number of hornets from the VFA-83 Rampagers began coming in (notice the assymetrical loadouts):

IPB Image

There were about 4 or 5 of those guys (probably spent half a memory card on those guys alone), then a pair of VFA-11 Super Hornets came in. My camera's focus was fighting me about that time, so I got NO good shots of the 'Rippers jets. This one came out "ok" I guess:

IPB Image

(to be continued)

After the ceremony, a few jets began departing. First up was 4 or 5 Super Hornets from VFA-41. I guess most of them were ex-tomcat drivers that were on hand for the final flight and were heading back to NAS Lemoore:

IPB Image

After VFA-41 (and a solitary VFA-15 "Valions" Legacy hornet) "left the building", about 5 VFA-106 "Gladiators" Legacy hornets were departing for some training sorties. Some were single-seaters, but there was also a pair of family-models:

IPB Image

After everyone departed, I took the opportunity to shoot photos of all the Super Hornets that were on static-display for the ceremony (all of the super hornets present were past-tomcat squadrons that sent one of their show-jets for the ceremony)

"Bullet 100" (VFA-2 Bounty Hunters)

IPB Image

"Gypsy 275" (VFA-32 Gypsy Swordsmen) (I *HATE* the new "my little pony" design...)

IPB Image

"Ripper 111" (VFA-11 Red Rippers) (both show-jets were out on training missions, so a line jet had to do)

IPB Image

"Fast Eagle 100" (VFA-41 Black Aces) (you can see the tail of "Camelot 200" of the VFA-14 Tophatters behind it):

IPB Image

"Vampire 100" (VX-9 Vampires)

IPB Image

"Lion 200" (VFA-213 Black Lions) (this jet is hot off the assembly line)

IPB Image

and last but certainly not least:

"Victory 200" (VFA-103 Jolly Rogers) (I've seen this jet probably 4 times now... I never tire of looking at it)

IPB Image

and now, if your bandwidth has been raped enough, back to your regularly scheduled programming :)

Edited by Skull Leader

Time to rape some bandwidth of my of my own! :p (Nice pictures, Jeremy!)

Here's a few of the 1100+ pics I took at the Guardians of Freedom air show a few weeks back. I started another thread for this subject though I'm not sure if I'll have time to post more pictures.

The pictures that are like 1024 x 683 pixels were directly reduced from their original 3456 x 2304 pixel size. Pictures that are any other size are crop jobs.

post-342-1160637999_thumb.jpg

post-342-1160638025_thumb.jpg

post-342-1160638040_thumb.jpg

post-342-1160638060_thumb.jpg

post-342-1160638085_thumb.jpg

post-342-1160638099_thumb.jpg

Edited by Apollo Leader

• 2 weeks later...

Great photos, Richard... Did the VFA-122 F/A-18E do the demo? Usually they use an F model for the actual flying!

Would've figured SOMEONE would've had something to say about the stuff we posted... I guess no one is interested.

Edited by Skull Leader

Great photos, Richard... Did the VFA-122 F/A-18E do the demo? Usually they use an F model for the actual flying!

Would've figured SOMEONE would've had something to say about the stuff we posted... I guess no one is interested.

That was the only Super Hornet at the show. Of course there was the Blue Angels, but of course those were regular Hornets. :D The pilot of the F/A-18E has flown EVERY single version of the F/A-18 - A, B, C, D, E, and F.

I'm probably not going to have time to get my dedicated thread up and going again, but I'll try to post some more pictures in this thread. Some of the pictures I have include the super rare RC-135 variant that has a regular C-135/707 nose instead of the regular long black nose of the Rivet Joint RC-135's. Many of its sensors and antennae are differnet from the regular RC-135's, though it does have the side looking radar on both sides. There are only two in existence. One is in storage and the one I saw at the show is usually overseas on deployment. For whatever reason, it was back here in Nebraska.

Edited by Apollo Leader

In case someone who might be interested missed my post the other day...

Boeing Museum of Flight pics (Seattle)

I took these a few weeks back when my cousin came to visit. In the same directory are pics from the Sci-Fi museum (where you are not supposed to take pics, so they are blurry). Also some pics from the Space Needle.

http://www.mrtwo.net/mr2modproject/temp/10-11-2006/

The pics in the link are all sweet ;) . . . .

The SR-71 is one of my favorite birds (aside from the F-14). . .

Forgive me for sounding like a noob,

But the thing I always wondered was if the unit on the top of the SR-71 was a drone or another engine?

I know it might not be the smartest thing to mount up there, but I've never been really sure. . .

Usually you see it without the component on top.

And I saw on the History Channel there were more models but they really don't go to far in to them. . .

The pics in the link are all sweet ;) . . . .

The SR-71 is one of my favorite birds (aside from the F-14). . .

Forgive me for sounding like a noob,

But the thing I always wondered was if the unit on the top of the SR-71 was a drone or another engine?

I know it might not be the smartest thing to mount up there, but I've never been really sure. . .

Usually you see it without the component on top.

And I saw on the History Channel there were more models but they really don't go to far in to them. . .

Good info on the drone.

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/d-21.php

Good info on the drone.

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/d-21.php

As pointed out on this link, the Blackbirds modified to carry the D-21 were two A-12's which were redesignated M-21's... for many years it was thought they were simply redesignated M-12, but about 10 years ago it came out that they were infact redesignated M-21 to match the number of the D-21 drone it was carrying.

The Boeing Museum of flight is very lucky to have the sole surving M-21 and a D-21 to mount to it to boot. B))

As for this link saying the D-21 was not used "operationally" is partially incorrect. Some were used for recon over China and I believe elsewhere. Ben Rich (the second man to haed Lockheed's Skunk Works) talked about how at least one D-21 flying over China malfunctioned and crashed somewhere deep in China.

Edited by Apollo Leader

I really disliked it at first, but since I helped put together a decal sheet with the squadrons new jets (through Hobbydecal), they've really started to grow on me.

The Super Hornet as a whole is starting to grow on me. It's certainly no Tomcat, and the argument is very much up in the air to if it's "Mr. Right", but it is without question "Mr. Right Now", so we might as well make the best of it! :)

It's been hard (as a fan) to come to grips with the fact that there are no longer any flying Tomcats in the US (I stop at the word "flyable", because the plane I care for in the museum is very much complete and could be flown with about a weeks worth of hardcore maintenance). Wanna see flying Tomcats now, you'll need to move to Tehran... and to be fair, Iran's F-14As wear a pretty kick-ass blue cammo scheme that isn't too far removed from something you'd see on a flanker.

Edited by Skull Leader

Continuing the "overweight planes" thread:

Apparently the 787 is overweight. Haven't heard any specifics though.

Leafed through Air&Space's F-35 article at the magazine stand. One of the ways they reduced weight was very interesting:

More complex gear doors. The original design was a simple one-piece style and hung open when the gear was down. The new design is more airliner-esque with multiple doors that close up as much as possible after the gear is done moving. How does this save weight? (since more complex gear doors add weight)--- With the gear doors up, there's no interaction between the big gear doors and local airflow/exhaust when hovering---so the v.stabs can be made smaller. It's all a stability/control issue when hovering.