The 2nd Coming of the YF-19

wolfx

The "purple" pic is a scan of the SHE VF-19F/S painting guide.

Here's a quick/bad retouch I did to try to bring it close to how it looked in M7: (it should be even more of a pure royal blue)

Edited by David Hingtgen

Although I find the SHE stuff interesting, could we maybe move it to it's own thread instead of derailing the Yamato 1/60 thread? I keep thinking there's news on the Yamato posted but it's more SHE stuff.

We've already shifted the non-YF-19 stuff to another thread, but eliminating SHE would be hard to do, based on the fact that the original Yamato YF-19 is a direct copy of the SHE, and the new one probably incorporates quite a bit of it. Plus there's already been a lot of comparisons about SHE vs Yamato YF-19 transformation aspects (of which I had quite a rant about the upper intakes). And there's the whole "what other -19's could Yamato do"--notably the VF-19F/S, which SHE has already done a -19A to 19F/S conversion--could Yamato? Would they? Etc.

I'm still keeping most new pics posted on the first page of the thread, but there hasn't been anything really worth posting lately (there's a site I'm watching for pics--within 48 hours I expect good stuff).

I have considered making a new "pics only" thread, which would allow no discussion. If there's a new post in it, it means there's new pics uploaded in it by Graham or a mod etc. Or official press releases, etc. This thread would then be for discussion.

If you want I have a big battroid mode pic. It's the same angle/pose/lighting as all the others we've seen, but it's bigger.

Edited by David Hingtgen

based on the fact that the original Yamato YF-19 is a direct copy of the SHE

427887[/snapback]

David, you should know better than to make a statement like that. As someone who has owned both, I can say that original Yamato YF-19 is far from a direct copy of the SHE. There is more different between the two than there is the same.

While it's true that SHE did provide technical assistence to Yamato and the transformation sequence is vaguely similar, the two are actually very different and certainly the Yamato is not a direct copy in terms of sculpt, features or transformation.

Some of the many differences are: -

1) Yamato cockpit sculpt is a different and incorrect shape.

2) Yamato has front and rear landing gear, SHE has none.

3) Yamato has multiple locking tabs, SHE has none (or very few IIRC), using mainly screw tension for locking.

4) Yamato has the triangular gap where the nose hinges, SHE has no gap.

5) Yamato's gunpod attaches in fighter mode, SHE's doesn't.

6) Yamato's lower legs lack the intricate (and delicate) origami style folding panels of the SHE.

7) Yamato's overall sculpt is quite different, especially in the areas of the head, nose, chest, knees (in fact everywhere)!

Many other differences, but as I don't have the SHE and Yamato in front of me, I can't list them, but you get the general idea.

It's more accurate to say that Yamato's 1/72 YF-19 was loosly based on SHE's, in the same way that Spielberg's War of The Worlds movie was based on the orginal H.G. Wells novel.

Graham

Well before I assert the SHE is cooler, I'll wait until I see a fully painted yamato YF19 1/60. Well okay. The Yamato IS cooler, but the SHE just looks cooler. For now anyways. (Those unpainted tan things just don't do justice, I wanna' see what it's actually going to look like.)

Ack, sorry Graham. I know it's not a copy, especially when you compare point by point for shapes. However, there are many features of the transformation as well as overall "sculpting choices to balance fighter vs battroid appearance" which are clearly "closely inspired" by the SHE, and only show up on the SHE/Yamato, and not any other transforming YF-19. In that, it certainly owes a lot of its "heritage" to SHE. The most obvious link I see is the "large folding part that has Tab B at the end". That is pretty unique to the SHE/Yamato, as the Hasegawa one does it very very differently, the Retppu doesn't do it at all. That is frankly the core of the YF-19's transformation (how you fold the foward fuselage to make the torso) and that is what the SHE and Yamato do very similarly. Also how the codpiece is formed--what is done with that area is quite different between the various -19's out there, but the original Yamato and SHE are pretty close.

Also the whole "rotating backs of the knees". While that was dispensed with in the VF-19A release, that was clearly "based on" the SHE, which goes along with a very similar (AFAIK) bicep/elbow mechanism.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick post to all MW members:

I'm closing this thread as soon as attachment uploads are working again---this thread is over 50 pages and way out of date now. Please avoid posting for the next few hours until the new one's open. I already have lots of new pics to start the new thread with. And *I* will start the new thread. (Mod-power abuse) :)