Macross Vehicle Models

Valkyrie

Guest Bromgrev

Nothing like some mecha 'extras' for a change! Looking very good so far, Valkyrie and Honneamise. I can't wait to see the cola machine ... ^_^

More progress, I tried to deepen the driver´s seat compartment a bit, but of course the front wheel wells have to stay... still very shallow. I slaughtered a WW2 pilot and when stretched a bit the legs seem to fit. Just ordered lots of Preiser figures, maybe I try to sculpt Roy as he was the driver in Ep.3 of SDF TV, but for that big guy I need to stretch all the limbs I suppose...

post-2845-1152888274_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1152888340_thumb.jpg

I glued two wheels from Takara´s Dougram Jeep (right) together and made a new tread profile and new wheel hub (left). I´m just making a mold to get the other five.

post-2845-1152888514_thumb.jpg

Of course I won´t forget the Cola machine, Bromgrev!! :p

Real nice Thorsten.

Have yo put any thought into what else besides the 6x6 and cola machine will be in the set?

Valkyrie: I have some 1/100 Valk wheels if you need em.

Cheers,

Berttt

416158[/snapback]

Hi Berttt,

I thought of the Cherry Picker Truck and the little 6-wheel vehicle, both of which came in the IMAI 1/100 Factory set, and maybe the other 6-wheel all-terrain crew vehicle that was used on mars..

LOOOKIN' good guys. I'm probably gonna have to buy one each. Since I build in 1/200, I can have one of the tow vehicles tow severall aircraft at once! :lol: - MT

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the sun is rising, and that means once again, that precious time between work and sleep has been used up. And a goodly part of it was spent working on the tow tractor, so I thought I'd post a few pics of my progress.

post-50-1154260592_thumb.jpg

post-50-1154260609_thumb.jpg

Well, there she is. And there HE is, as I've got a decent start on the figure. But the head is turned, and the torso is twisted slightly. So I'm not sure yet if I'll adjust the head, or replace the upper body entirely. But the legs are just where I want them.

post-50-1154260621_thumb.jpg

Also added are the trailer hitch, the little ramp piece and the '5th wheel', though they both still need some work. And the top piece of the 5th wheel is small, thin, rather fragile, and must be kept seperate, so I'm not sure how well it'll cast. But if that fails, I may be able to have a friend make them out of photo-etch for me.

Wouldn't that be something... my first kit including photoetch :p

post-50-1154260630_thumb.jpg

The other side, with recently added trapezoid piece on the side. I have no idea what it is, but it's in the design art :lol:

Also in frame are the final front tie-downs and just-started steering wheel.

I kept the tie-down panels oversized, to make casting them a lot easier. When building the kit, you'll just have to glue them in place, then trim them flush with the sides of the truck.

The steering wheel was an unexpected pain in my ass... I got my hands on four steering wheels that were about 1/72 in size. Then when I finally got around to measuring a real steering wheel and calculating scale, I found that all of them were way off. So I'm stuck scratching one. But I've got a pretty good plan of attack. And it'll make it a lot more accurate to the design art. So it's for the best anyway.

post-50-1154260642_thumb.jpg

And here's the knurled rod of resin that will soon become the rear tires. Unless I decide to re-do it and make treads deeper...

That's about it for now. Questions and comments are quite welcome, as always.

Edited by Valkyrie

Hey Valkyrie that is some great progress. I wasn't sure at first how much I was going to like te tow tractor, but now it is really coming together!

Keep up the great work! :)

• 1 month later...

A few quick update pics before I head off to bed (most of which have already been posted elsewhere)

towtractor16.jpg

towtractor17.jpg

towtractor18.jpg

The tow tractor's been sitting at that point for a few days now. I've turned my attention to the gunpod loader for a bit. I started on it 3 days ago, and I'm quite happy with how far I've gotten on it :)

loader01.jpg

And this is my only reference :ph34r:

large_ordnance_loader-1.jpg

That's it for now. Questions and comments welcome as always.

Hi guys I´m still here - good to see that MW is finally back, that trouble looked pretty serious. I had a lot of work so I wasn´t able to check back often. I don´t know when I can go back to my vehicles right now.. still, I had made some progress since my last post, I need to get my camera charged.

Valkyrie your gunpod looks great!!! Don´t know if you should change anything, looks thin enough for me, and already thin enough for the casting job to become a minor headache :huh: ! The car is excellent, very detailed and very accurate.

Maybe he doesn't know the forum is back. I only knew because it was announced on Samuai Monkey's forum. I stopped checking after September started.

Just shave the ends to thin the look. Some careful work with an Xacto and you can have them look thinner with the structural advantage of the thicker material.

• 2 months later...

Man, it's been entirely too long since I've posted in this thread!

I really want to get this thing finished up, so I went back to work on it last night.

Did a quick inventory of what I still need to finish:

Driver's compartment: 70% complete

Driver figure: 40% complete

Rear wheels: 10% complete

And that's about all that's keeping me from having this thing finished...

So, I got to work on the rear wheels.

When I'd last left off, I had a resin rod, machined to a 'close enough' diamater, with a good knurl pattern on it. So I busted out my CAD drawing of the wheel and its rim, and went to work machining it all out.

Fortunately, I was able to devise a much simpler approach than my previous attempt (over a year ago), and it came together fairly easily. I ended up with two parts, the tire itself, and the center hub, which slides into the tire quite snugly (they'll be cast as one piece). The small dome in the center is a 3mm lens out of set of Wave's H-Eyes.

More soon, I hope!

post-50-1164280675_thumb.jpg

post-50-1164280729_thumb.jpg

post-50-1164280737_thumb.jpg

Great looking wheels Valkyrie!

After a LONG hiatus due to other projects I´ll try to make some progress on my 6-wheel crew vehicle again!

The major components are almost there - unfortunately Focker´s head is still missing, I´ll try to sculpt the guy with Tamiya resin but I´m not sure how he will come out in the end... maybe a generic driver will have to do the job :( !

[attachmentid=38413]

[attachmentid=38414]

[attachmentid=38415]

[attachmentid=38417]

post-2845-1164290547_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1164290565_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1164290600_thumb.jpg

post-2845-1164290635_thumb.jpg

Looking good. So you are going to try and add a figure with the kit?

At least one... initially I was going to make a whole set with 2-3 cars and several figures but it really depends on the amount of time I can spend on this project. Maybe it is better to make just single kits, after all, not everybody who wants 3 crew vehicles will need the same amount of cherry picker trucks...

But there WILL be a cola vending machine :D !!!

At least one... initially I was going to make a whole set with 2-3 cars and several figures but it really depends on the amount of time I can spend on this project. Maybe it is better to make just single kits, after all, not everybody who wants 3 crew vehicles will need the same amount of cherry picker trucks...

But there WILL be a cola vending machine :D !!!

Looking great; ..and all of this in 1/72 scale..?? Bless your heart man...

bring it on...

• 10 months later...

i was going to start on the vehicles and destroids that came with the 1/100 macross factory i just got (for some practice before i attempt the valks) when i stumbled on this thread. i thought i would be happy to cheat and use the 1/100 vehicles next to the 1/72 valks, but after seeing the progress pics on this thread, i now know i wouldn't be. i am definitely selling the 2nd factory that's coming in.

where do i sign up? here? or in honneamise's ghost thread? i want all of them including the coke machine!

You got to get them off their butts or current projects to finish these first :lol: . I saw the update and thought they were! I know honneamise is busy on a 1/200 IJN Yamato (52" long) last I heard. That takes some serious detailing! - MT