Yamato's Upcoming 1/60 VF-0A

Graham

Well, the leg-to-backpack tabs still aren't as tight as they need to be to keep the legs from popping off when I zoom the plane around in your house... err, I mean when my kid zoom the plane around ^_^ .

My 0S definite has that same problem, and I came up with a very simple solution, albiet it's a bit crude. If you got any toilet paper in your house, just take a small piece of it and try to separate the layers until you're down to the smallest layer possible. Simply place the small and thin piece of toilet paper over the backpack hole before you push the leg pegs in, and the fit should be more than tight enough for you...errr, i mean your kid...to zoom it around any time you want.

It's ghetto, but to be it's a simple solution that to me is preferable to, say, gluing the leg to the backpack, as i can remove that thiny, thin piece of toilet paper whenever i want.

Just my 2 cents ^_^

A thin swipe of clear 2-part epoxy around the leg tabs also works. I used Krazy glue on my 0A cause I was in a hurry, made sure to ventilate the toy well while drying to prevent perma-frost.

If you got any toilet paper in your house,

I hope everyone on this board falls in this category :lol:

Edited by ghostryder

Ghostryder, I hope you don't mind I ended up painting my stabs as you did....Dark Grey. I'll post pictures as soon as I finish putting the stickers on, I already got her all weathered up. This was the first time I ever actually painted and clear coated a Yamoto valk! I think she's looking really good IMHO!

Chris

It's ghetto, but to be it's a simple solution that to me is preferable to, say, gluing the leg to the backpack, as i can remove that thiny, thin piece of toilet paper whenever i want.

Just my 2 cents ^_^

That's the great thing about hot glue...you can remove the glue with 0 damage to the plastic! :)

I may get me some clear epoxy and place a very light coat around the tabs and see if that does the trick. ;)

-Kyp

Don't mind at all - at least you had the guts to clear-coat. Hope your gray match is better than mine... LET'S SEE THE PICS!

Ghostryder, I hope you don't mind I ended up painting my stabs as you did....Dark Grey. I'll post pictures as soon as I finish putting the stickers on, I already got her all weathered up. This was the first time I ever actually painted and clear coated a Yamoto valk! I think she's looking really good IMHO!

Chris

I'll try to take some tomorrow :) Actually My grey looks alot like yours, I used Tamiya German Grey which is pretty much the darkest grey I've seen staright out of a bottle without being black....it's perfect for DD's SV-51 BTW. I liked the look because it kinda gives the 0A a Black and White photo kinda look compaired to the full color 0S, Dark Grey tail with a lighter grey tail top...as opposed to the Black tail with a yellow top....if that makes any sense! :p

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I would love to get the OA... but after the YF21, I've preorder the SDF1 from wave... hopefully I'll be able to repair my credit card and also sneak in an OA... especially since beyond Classics Ramjet, there are NO TFs on the horizon that I am interested in getting for the very very very long future (aka till the movie!)

VFTF1

I must say that at first I wasn't all that excited about the 0A, since I found the gray scheme to be a bit too plain and bland. But once I saw some of the lined ones I started feeling a bit better about it.

After lining/weathering mine a bit, putting on the decals and just looking at it on my shelf, I find I'm liking the look of it more than my 0S at this point, simply because it looks more realistic to me. Which is, to be honest, part of why the VF-0 in general appeals to me so much. It's a very real looking vehicle.

Anyway, before I'd posted some shots of it plain right out of the box. Here it is with some mild lining/weathering on it. I was going for a used but well maintained look. Basically kept clean and in order, but goes a while between washings, especially under operational stress where there's just not the time to keep everything shiny.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sadly, my camera doesn't quite do it justice, but I hope it's good enough to convey the general idea and look of the thing.

I'm gonna try and get a review of the VF-0A done before Christmas, mainly as I wanna mess around with shooting photos wih my new light box set up. May also do a transformation video guide.

Graham

Will this include a step-by-step guide on how to install the ghost onto the VF-0? :rolleyes:

How do you get your valks to stand in gerwalk mode with their noses down? Mine keep flopping over... am I missing something?

I don't have a VF-0, but I do have quite a few 1/48 VF-1's. I have no trouble putting them in gerwalk mode with the nose angled down. You just need to angle the legs outwards a bit (i.e. twist the legs at the knee)

How do you get your valks to stand in gerwalk mode with their noses down? Mine keep flopping over... am I missing something?

i had the same issue with my vf-0 until i realized that the thighs have additional joints/hinges. :)

*added*

heres a pic showing the area where the hinge is. :)

it took me a while before i noticed it, i thought the legs were constructed the same as the 1/48, i was wrong.

[attachmentid=38871]

post-206-1165879168_thumb.jpg

Edited by do not disturb

presumably. the 311 markings are on the 0A sheet anyway.

got my second 0a today and it looks to be in good shape. havent transformed yet, but otherwise seems pretty much intact. part of the stripe on one wing is a bit faint, and there is a small blue line on the othre wing, but overall its prettty good.

assuming of course the arms dont fall off when I transform....

Ha! And I was minutes away from buying the 0A to wait for the ghost ...

Can anyone (Graham?) tell what the differences color-wise are for the Shin vs the existing 0A? Obviously the stripes, but is the gray any different? You can never really tell from the press photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Photography on my review is done and the pics are uploaded to the MW server. Just got to finish the review text (about 40% done) and edit the page in Dreamweaver. Should be finished before New Year's day.

See how hardworking I am, even doing stuff for the site on Christmas day!!!!!!! :p

Graham

You mentioned that the VF-0S in the head transformation that it has four head lasers? :huh::p

I disagree with you on the articulation improvements over the 1/48 VF-1. There is reduced movement in the hips, as they are not capable of the slight torso twist, and also the damn intakes hit part of the body so that you have to do some fidgeting before you can get it into the position that you want.