What's The Deal With The Decals??

Vermillion21

Ok, sorry if this is a dumb newbie question: but what's the deal with the custom decals? I've seen several posts now where someone creates custom decals for the 1/48 Yamato valkyries. They look cool, but ...

Question is, why? Are the stickers included with the 1/48's crap and I am just naive in thinking I should use those to apply on my valkyrie?!?! Is there something I should be aware of - e.g., like not using them b'c they will peel off in 3 months? What gives? Can someone fill me in here, please?!?

:blink::blink::blink:

Ok, sorry if this is a dumb newbie question: but what's the deal with the custom decals?  I've seen several posts now where someone creates custom decals for the 1/48 Yamato valkyries.  They look cool, but ...

Question is, why?  Are the stickers included with the 1/48's crap and I am just naive in thinking I should use those to apply on my valkyrie?!?!  Is there something I should be aware of - e.g., like not using them b'c they will peel off in 3 months?  What gives?  Can someone fill me in here, please?!?

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:

401122[/snapback]

Well, there, Vermillion, I'll try to help as best I can. I'm not really a veteran around here or anything but I've got a few 1/48's (10 I think) so I'll throw in my opinion. The stickers that come with the Yamatos really suck, and yes they peel off after not a long while; the lil' lil' ones anyway. Custom stickers are pricey.. and nice. I bought custom stickers, but only for the two valks I plan on converting into Minmay Guards. My other valks all have the regular Yamato stickers applied.

Now, here's where other people might disagree with me but to date, my method has proven very effective for me anyways: apply the Yamato decals, and once you've got them all on, apply decal setting solution generously to every sticker and then let it dry. Maybe it's just the brand of solution I use (testors), but either way, it's helped keep all my stickers from falling off. With one exception - anywhere on the valk that has a very rounded surface that causes the sticker to have to contour a lot will still inevitably fall off. But the only places where I've had that happen are on the back of the valk in fighter mode on top (2nd to last "no step" stickers on the application sheet) and the tiny square stickers that go on the oval shaped extremities on the nose and sides also in fighter mode.

Not sure if this will help you, but hope it does.

One more thing ----- maybe I'm nuts, but the stickers that came with my VF0S seem to be of higher quality than the usual Yamato decals, so maybe they're finally makin' some decent ones to match how much they cost. $$$$$

Are the stickers included with the 1/48's crap...

Short answer: Yes, they are crap.

Long answer: The stock Yamato stickers are quite thick and stick out quite a bit when compared to those made by Anasazi37 and takatoys. Plus, you really can't get the stock stickers down into panel lines and the small details on the Yamato sheet tend to be kind of fuzzy and out of focus. I don't use Yamato stickers on any of my valks unless it's absolutely necessary. It's definitely worth the money to buy the aftermarket ones.

Edited by Die, Alien Scum!

Are the stickers included with the 1/48's crap...

Short answer: Yes, they are crap.

Long answer: The stock Yamato stickers are quite thick and stick out quite a bit when compared to those made by Anasazi37 and takatoys. Plus, you really can't get the stock stickers down into panel lines and the small details on the Yamato sheet tend to be kind of fuzzy and out of focus. I don't use Yamato stickers on any of my valks unless it's absolutely necessary. It's definitely worth the money to buy the aftermarket ones.

401135[/snapback]

No it's not! I like the crap stickers! (just joking.) I just look at it this way. With the money you save on not buying custom decals, you can spend it on buying another valk. See my rationale? If I bought custom decals for all my valkyries... well. Let's just say I'd rather buy a whole new 1/48 with a GBP armor to match.

Yeah, buy aftermarket. I use my extra Yamato decal sheets on my househould appliances and cars...

I've got a few 1/48's (10 I think)

Man, it must be nice to have enough 1/48s that you can't rember offhadn how many you have :lol:

I'll echo what's already been said: The Yamato stickers are very thick (so thick that the edges of the film around each sticker looks frosted,) don't stick so hot, have very fuzzy detail, and are all around absoultely terrible. I wouldn't put them on a valk if you payed me.

Then when buying aftermarket, the question comes to play on weather or not you want stickers or decals. I've bought Takatoys' stickers and Anasazi decals, and I've come to a few conclusions. First off, you have tod ecide if you are going to want to handle your valks alot. If so, then surprisingly enough, I recommend decals over stickers. Stcikers adhere well (especially Taka's) but they still have raised edges to catch on and curl or peel off... a well applied decal set with a decal solution and sealed with Future and then a spray varnish is impervious and almost seemless with the surface around it. I only buy decals at this point, because I customize AND handle my valks a great deal.... I've got a Roy with Strike armor on my shelf with stickers on it from before I started decalling and I dont handle it at all to keep the stickers on.

Man, it must be nice to have enough 1/48s that you can't rember offhadn how many you have :lol:

I'll echo what's already been said: The Yamato stickers are very thick (so thick that the edges of the film around each sticker looks frosted,) don't stick so hot, have very fuzzy detail, and are all around absoultely terrible. I wouldn't put them on a valk if you payed me.

Then when buying aftermarket, the question comes to play on weather or not you want stickers or decals. I've bought Takatoys' stickers and Anasazi decals, and I've come to a few conclusions. First off, you have tod ecide if you are going to want to handle your valks alot. If so, then surprisingly enough, I recommend decals over stickers. Stcikers adhere well (especially Taka's) but they still have raised edges to catch on and curl or peel off... a well applied decal set with a decal solution and sealed with Future and then a spray varnish is impervious and almost seemless with the surface around it. I only buy decals at this point, because I customize AND handle my valks a great deal.... I've got a Roy with Strike armor on my shelf with stickers on it from before I started decalling and I dont handle it at all to keep the stickers on.

401177[/snapback]

Yeah, promo is right on here. The only thing to keep in mind, is that takatoys stickers are easier to apply - just peel and stick. Decals, on the other hand, require soaking in water, sliding on the surface, postioning, setting, and sealing. However, if you're willing and able to spend the extra time and effort on decals, they are definitely worth it...

401177[/snapback]

Yeah, promo is right on here. The only thing to keep in mind, is that takatoys stickers are easier to apply - just peel and stick. Decals, on the other hand, require soaking in water, sliding on the surface, postioning, setting, and sealing. However, if you're willing and able to spend the extra time and effort on decals, they are definitely worth it...

401178[/snapback]

I stick by my opinion. --- I'd rather have a *cough* new valk or strike armor then spend 30 bucks a pop on a sheet of decals.

Yeah, but if it's your first sheet of either it's important to remember that both the stickers and decals need to be cut out... so you'll need a big stash of really sharp X-acto blades, a steady hand, and tweezers to apply them regardless of which you chose. And once you get the hang of it, the time thing really isn't that bad... aside from positioning you'll spend msot of your time wating for things to dry... but in that same vein, if you put a taka sticker on crooked and then peel it off to fix, it'll never stick quite as well as that first press...

Standard sets for valks and FAST packs are $10 each. Only the specialty sets are more expensive--and that's because they take up A LOT of decal paper, ink, and coating solution. I keep the prices as low as possible so that you don't have to choose between applying crappy stickers and buying a new valk. :D

I stick by my opinion. --- I'd rather have a *cough* new valk or strike armor then spend 30 bucks a pop on a sheet of decals.

401199[/snapback]

Thanks for all the feedback folks - appreciate it. I'm actually on the fence - right now, I only own two 1/48's and haven't applied the decals ... yet. I doubt that I would put all of 'em on, but I was thinking of applying the RDF kite logos by the cockit window and maybe the fighter ID #'s in key spots. I just don't want my $150 (yeah, I know, I probably paid too much for 'em) investment turning into crap if the stickers peel off after awhile is all.

:huh:

150's a fine price at this point, don't worry. If you really want it to end up looking like something nice, you could look into have someone do the decals and such for you. Even if you weren't going to go all out and have it weathered adn detailed, there are plenty of poeople who'd apply the decals and panel line it or something if you want. *shameless plug* :D This is especially a good choice if you are not particularly hobby inclined, or don't have good knives and decal solution and sealers... those of us who've been doing this kind of thing for a while already have all the supplies and such, all we need are the decals and valk to put them on.

Just something to ponder.

150's a fine price at this point, don't worry.  If you really want it to end up looking like something nice, you could look into have someone do the decals and such for you.  Even if you weren't going to go all out and have it weathered adn detailed, there are plenty of poeople who'd apply the decals and panel line it or something if you want. *shameless plug* :D  This is especially a good choice if you are not particularly hobby inclined, or don't have good knives and decal solution and sealers... those of us who've been doing this kind of thing for a while already have all the supplies and such, all we need are the decals and valk to put them on.

Just something to ponder.

401247[/snapback]

no no NO! Yamato ghetto stickers ROCK!

Joking. Just had to stick that in. K I'll be quiet now.

Ok, sorry if this is a dumb newbie question: but what's the deal with the custom decals?  I've seen several posts now where someone creates custom decals for the 1/48 Yamato valkyries.  They look cool, but ...

Question is, why?  Are the stickers included with the 1/48's crap and I am just naive in thinking I should use those to apply on my valkyrie?!?!  Is there something I should be aware of - e.g., like not using them b'c they will peel off in 3 months?  What gives?  Can someone fill me in here, please?!?

401122[/snapback]

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=19059

401122[/snapback]

People are buying them you should too.

401533[/snapback]

I've a tight budget and small wallet!!

LOL

I'd rather save the case to acquire more valks!

:lol:

At least for now ....

401570[/snapback]

Then why did you start this topic to begin with then? You tease!!!

:angry:

401581[/snapback]

*claps hands* That's the spirit. Save every penny to get all your valks. Put the Yamato stickers on them for the time being, and if you decide you don't like them, then you can take them off with ease.

:D

401533[/snapback]

I've a tight budget and small wallet!!

LOL

I'd rather save the case to acquire more valks!

:lol:

At least for now ....

401570[/snapback]

Then why did you start this topic to begin with then? You tease!!!

:angry:

401581[/snapback]

Whoa - sorry, did not mean to offend stuffparties!!!

Just wanted to ask about the stickers/decals is all!!

Apologies.

One other point regarding the use of aftermarket stickers and decals that I have not seen mentioned in this thread yet is this: If you ever decide to sell any of your valks, they may fetch more if you have an untouched original sticker sheet to go with them. Might be stretching it with Yamato 1/48s, but this is most definitely true of older collector toys like Takatokus and Gakkens :D

Yea THe first of my 7 Valkeries that Arrived as an 1/60th Hikaru and I had A LOT of fun putting the stickers on. And I don'y like the semi thick stickers they use, sure it's not THAT bad but still...and as Nightbat mentioned all the excess they have on there can be anoying. I wish though that they had made a sheet to tell you where the stuff went. I know it's a kind of put them where you want, I ended up using some of the pics from Graham's toy review for placement of the stickers. Came out pretty nice but I think I might look into these aftermarket stickers you guys are talking about.

Edited by AC Starscream