New Robotech Shadow Chronicles Vid

Anyone want mine? If you pay shipping it's yours (although I'm lazy, so the shipping is gonna be fedex which I can do from work, so it'll be more than USPS).

It's so bad, I don't even want it taking up space in my dvd collection, and that's pretty bad considering Atragon is still in there, and that's pretty lame.

It's so bad, I don't even want it taking up space in my dvd collection, and that's pretty bad considering Atragon is still in there, and that's pretty lame.

Depending on the cost, if I pay for shipping can I have Atragon?

Did anybody notice the references and easter eggs of Megazone 23 & The Sentinels in Shadow Chronicles? Like the number 86 on Vince's ship Icarus & his Cyclone Ride Armor. That represented 1986 when the Sentinels went into production. Also, when the Haydonites attacked to extract Janice the operator radioed there was an explosion in sector 7G. In MZ23, Shogo Yahagi was the operator of sector 7G. Lastly, Janice EM was originally supposed to a downloaded version of EVE(from MZ23) in the original Sentinels draft.

Did anybody notice the references and easter eggs of Megazone 23 & The Sentinels in Shadow Chronicles? Like the number 86 on Vince's ship Icarus & his Cyclone Ride Armor. That represented 1986 when the Sentinels went into production. Also, when the Haydonites attacked to extract Janice the operator radioed there was an explosion in sector 7G. In MZ23, Shogo Yahagi was the operator of sector 7G. Lastly, Janice EM was originally supposed to a downloaded version of EVE(from MZ23) in the original Sentinels draft.

Didn't notice the MZ23 references. However I thought the sector 7G reference to the Simpsons, Homer has worked in Sector 7G of the Springfield Nuclear power plant for years now. Of course it could be both.

Anyone want mine? If you pay shipping it's yours (although I'm lazy, so the shipping is gonna be fedex which I can do from work, so it'll be more than USPS).

Phyrox: I'll buy it, got paypal?

Like the number 86 on Vince's ship Icarus & his Cyclone Ride Armor. That represented 1986 when the Sentinels went into production.
It's actually supposed to represent that this is (sort of) the 86th episode. I thought it was a hint that Vince was going to die (get "86'ed") but an HG employee corrected me on that.

Didn't notice the MZ23 references. However I thought the sector 7G reference to the Simpsons, Homer has worked in Sector 7G of the Springfield Nuclear power plant for years now. Of course it could be both.

The "Sector 7-G" from Megazone 23 predates The Simpsons, and the reference in Robotech is to Megazone.

I've never seen any confirmation from the Simpsons people that "7-G" was a Megazone reference, though. It could be coincidence. Does anyone have any info on this?

Edited by Roger

Nope I loved them. Why? Because they were done in a way that was effective, believable, functional, and dynamic. Shadow Chronicles transformations are not what I call dynamic, they were boring. Look at something like Macross II, hell even Transformers Cybertron, that had good transformation sequences, just to show that this isn't really a SC vs Macross thing, more or less a boring vs exciting thing.

Heh, TFs Cybertron definitely featured more interesting transformations.

Transformations in SC looked like an average high 3D animation project. Come on, these are paid professionals, I've seen better and I've expected better.

Heh, TFs Cybertron definitely featured more interesting transformations.

Transformations in SC looked like an average high 3D animation project. Come on, these are paid professionals, I've seen better and I've expected better.

the animation houses involved have all produced better animation in other projects, I wonder what it was about SC that inspired such mediocrity?

I'm sorry, but Homer's specific position is that of a "Sector 7-G Operator" far too specific to be a coincidence. Speaking of which, has there been any news on the Megazone 23 remake yet?

Matt Groeing is someone who does throw in a plethora of in-jokes - some of them being so esoteric, that few, if any, get the joke. I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those esoteric jokes.

the animation houses involved have all produced better animation in other projects, I wonder what it was about SC that inspired such mediocrity?

Anything RT related will result mediocre things... haven't you guys gotten it? Toys, the cartoons, the comic books... it's just not inspired.

A sequel only works if they get out in a decent amount of time. In other words it should have be half completed buy the time the Shadow Chronciles hit the stores.

So...are they going to make the breasts, crotches and asses more or less pronounced?

I find it highly unlikely that any sequel to TSC will come out in any sort of timely manner. They appear to be doing this on a movie business time schedule (before the days when movies would film the sequels concurrently with the original). That said though, think of how many sequels to movies took forever to come out and then kicked butt. Terminator 2 comes to mind. In no way do I mean to say that Shadow Chronicles 2 would be good, I just mean to say that how good it is doesn't seem to bare much relation on how long it will take to come out. Look at all the RT fans on those boards clamoring after having waited 20 plus years... they're obviously patient folks (despite their complaining to the contrary).

A sequel only works if they get out in a decent amount of time. In other words it should have be half completed buy the time the Shadow Chronciles hit the stores.

Actually Roy I don't think any work has been done on it yet. This was a product to gauge interest in a bigger project, so in other words if it dosn't sell well they won't bother starting to work on something. But on the other hand I don't think it'll take long for HG to pimp out a sequal if they do decide on it. I mean the design work and modeling is already done all they have to do is the actual animation. Anyway I think it will happen.

Did HG make some questionable buisness decisions? as a Buisness student I'm inclined to say yes, but I'm not counting them out just yet.

I just watched the RTSC. It is better than I thought. The plot is a bit chessy but it has all the elements of a B class sci-fi movie, so it is acceptable. The CG is kinda stiff, but I have seen much worst from genuine 2006 Japanese Anime, so it is acceptable. The 2D drawing is simply pretty, gives me the traditional 80s Anime look and feel. In some way, it is more appealing than the moe-cutie trend so dominated in Japanese Anime nowadays. The voice acting is sub-par though, reminds me out of sync Anime dub in the old days. Anyways, I enjoy RTSC, it is a good show. You can't compare it with the top of the line big-budget Anime movie from Japanese, but it is on par with average TV broadcast Anime. Put it this way, I will take RTSC over a movie of Gundam Seed Destiny any day.

Edited by hevangel2

IPB Image

Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles

DR Movie/Tatsunoko/Harmony Gold/FUNimation, 2007

Directed by Tommy Yune and Dong-Wook Lee

Based upon characters from Robotech: The New Generation (Genesis Climber Mospeada)

Running Time: 88 minutes

Rated PG for violence, mature situations and mild language.

Cast

Yuri Lowenthal (Sasuke in Naruto, Bakunetsumaru in SD Gundam Force) as Marcus Rush

Gregory Snegoff (Golgo 13: The Professional, Taki in Wicked City) as Scott Bernard

Kari Wahlgren (Witch Hunter Robin, Pacifica in Scrapped Princess) as Ariel

Richard Epcar (Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, Guld in Macross Plus) as Vince Grant

Eddie Frierson (Eledore in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Ken in Gatchaman '94) as Louis Nichols

Chase Masterson (Leeta in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) as Janice

Edie Mirman as (Emu in Crying Freeman) Maia Sterling

Iona Morris (Claudia in Robotech) as Dr. Jean Grant

Dan Woren (Roy in Robotech, Jack in Yukikaze) as General Reinhardt

Arthur Santiago as Alex Romero

Alexandra Kenworthy as the Invid Regess

Mark Hamill (Cocknocker in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Kenneth in Corvette Summer) as Commander Taylor

Melanie MacQueen as Marlene Rush

Michael Sorich as Sparks

Tony Oliver as Admiral Rick Hunter

Synopsis

The war between the Robotech Expeditionary Force and the Invid comes to an unexpected end when the Regess and her Invid spawn retreat from Earth, leaving behind her daughter Ariel, who had developed a love for the planet and mankind. However, all is not well when Ariel receives a premonition of a new threat to Earth. Meanwhile, upon arriving at Admiral Hunter and the SDF-3's last known location, Vince Grant and his crew encounter an unknown enemy and are forced to fold back to home base without the SDF-3. As the mystery unfolds, our heroes discover that the Invid's sudden retreat and the REF's alliance with the Haydonites all relate to a mysterious race known only as the "Children of the Shadow."

Story: D

After over two decades of anticipation, Robotech fans finally get their much-awaited sequel. Or do they?

First, there was Robotech II: The Sentinels, which is, by far, the worst animated piece of garbage ever conceived by man. Then there was Robotech 3000, which, thankfully, never went into full production. Because of this and other disastrous efforts, Harmony Gold has had a reputation of being a half-assed company.

But now with The Shadow Chronicles, HG is attempting to win back all the fans they lost and introduce a new generation of fans to Robotech. Has their plan worked? The answer is: No.

While it continues where The New Generation saga left off, TSC is marred by numerous plot loopholes, an incoherent script and new characters that no one will really care about. It's good to see veteran characters like Scott Bernard, but newer characters such as Marcus Rush, Maia Sterling and Janice have absolutely no personality. Hell, it's so bad, it makes Battlefield Earth win an Oscar for best picture.

Animation: C-

When it was announced that Korean animation studio DR Movie was on board in the production of TSC, HG representative Tom Bateman claimed that the animation quality would be on par with Yukikaze.

He lied. Big time.

Bad enough that the storyline lacks comprehension. The character designs will further alienate Robotech fans who were expecting an anime look, but ended up with a Korean look that is flat and devoid of any characteristic. And the 3D animation is just lacking in substance. The Last Starfighter is over 20 years old, but its computer-generated effects are still better than this rubbish.

Soundtrack: C-

Scott Glasgow's musical score is not only forgettable, it's distracting in many scenes. And while Chase Masterson is an accomplished singer, her talent is wasted in this film.

The Bottom Line

This may well be the final nail in the coffin of the Robotech franchise.

Links

Official Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles Homepage

Reference

Anime News Network

The Internet Movie Database

OK, I deleted all my PMs already.

To anyone who wants my copy of this movie, if you can print/email me a shipping label for USPS/UPS/FedEx it's yours.

As long as I don't have to pay for shipping I want it out of here.

And as an aside, The Sentinels weren't the worst animated thing ever. It wasn't great, but it wasn't THAT poorly animated. In fact some of the invid invasion of Tirol was the best those little scouts ever looked.

Nope, that thing got scratched. It's a variable Conbat which did look similar to the VF-4... so was the Conbat originally a VF-4 rip off? It's certainly a possibility. Maybe it'll show in future episodes, afterall, now that the human tech is being rendered useless they have new motivation to make new weaponry.

Am I the only one who remembers when this was supposed to be an entire TV series? A TV series to be aired in 2004, on a "major network?"

Can somebody who's seen this at least tell me if this not-a-VF-4-ripoff Veritech shows up?

IPB Image

According to Tommy et all they didn't like the deals they got from the TV series so wanted to create their movie first and see if they got less restrictive deals after.

hmm.. that design might be too Macross fro the new robotech, sorry.

Am I the only one who remembers when this was supposed to be an entire TV series? A TV series to be aired in 2004, on a "major network?"

Can somebody who's seen this at least tell me if this not-a-VF-4-ripoff Veritech shows up?

IPB Image

Yep, that's definetely a variable Conbat; Lancer flew one when he crashed to Earth.