-psp Official Discussion Thread V2.0-

Since the old thread was moved to The Hall of Super Topics it's time to start anew.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=11590

E3 2006 has started = a ton of new games BUT who still has their PSP on MW?

Crisis Core: FFVII

Killzone: Liberaton

Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters

Tekken: Dark Ressurection

LocoRoco

I just had a thought...

Sony's been in bad financial shape recently.

SCE was basically all that kept them afloat last year.

They NEED to turn a profit on their games division.

Likely why the PS3 is priced as high as it is, so they don't lose money on it.

But they won't actually be GAINING a lot if it doesn't move, which it isn't likely to do.

Hence, the jump in PSP ads recently. It's a profitable chunk of plastic, and they can move it.

The PSP may be Sony's primary platform in the near future.

I just had a thought...

But they won't actually be GAINING a lot if it doesn't move, which it isn't likely to do.

Hence, the jump in PSP ads recently. It's a profitable chunk of plastic, and they can move it.

398263[/snapback]

Oddly I don't as much psp commericals than last year. I think they mayhe adjusting the marketing to the more profitable markets.

I've only had mine for about 2 months. I like it though...especially all the homebrew stuff. I just wish someone would come up with a good browser app for those of us pre 2.o. What's out now for browsing the internet sucks.

As far as games I'd just like to see more gundam and mech games.

I also like the ability to rip movies (using video vault) to mpeg 4 and watch on the psp...great for in bed or on a plane.

Personally I'm glad that UMD movies are dying, they were a total rip off anyway.

Last...I want a macross game for PSP

I just want to see when the PSOne emulator and bigger memory cards come out... I always thought that the UMD movies were retarded.

398292[/snapback]

I think 4gb cards are out right now. IIRC 8gb cards are coming late 06/early 07.

I have 2gb ultra II from Sandisk. Got it for about 100.00 from Amazon.

Sony was supposed to start a download service for movies but that hasn't happened yet. If UMD movies were 9.99 they'd sell better.

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth July 18th in the US

http://psp.ign.com/articles/705/705938p1.html

anyone here try the LocoRoco demo?

Edited by dejr8bud

"I think 4gb cards are out right now. IIRC 8gb cards are coming late 06/early 07.

I have 2gb ultra II from Sandisk. Got it for about 100.00 from Amazon. "

You didn't get one of the bootleg cards did you. I heard that a lot of the 2gb cards of ebay, amazon, and from no-name outlets are actually bootleg cards. They are more fragile but some people who have them are saying that they are faster than the legit cards.

"I think 4gb cards are out right now. IIRC 8gb cards are coming late 06/early 07.

You didn't get one of the bootleg cards did you.  I heard that a lot of the 2gb cards of ebay, amazon, and from no-name outlets are actually bootleg cards.  They are more fragile but some people who have them are saying that they are faster than the legit cards.

398481[/snapback]

I don't think so. I bought it directly from Amazon, not one of their 3rd party sellers. Prices on 2gb cards have been falling fast since Christmas.

You didn't get one of the bootleg cards did you.  I heard that a lot of the 2gb cards of ebay, amazon, and from no-name outlets are actually bootleg cards.  They are more fragile but some people who have them are saying that they are faster than the legit cards.

398481[/snapback]

Bootleg cards? Do you mean non-Sony brand cards, or are the chinese running around slapping huge flash RAM chips into MemStick casings with "SonDisk" and Samy" engraved in them?

I just had a thought...

398263[/snapback]

Oddly I don't as much psp commericals than last year. I think they mayhe adjusting the marketing to the more profitable markets.

398270[/snapback]

Sony knows nothings about marketing , they have ignored the industry trends and neglected their own products marketing-wise for YEARS.

Sony is like the Salmon in the electronics industry , always going against the stream of the river; this is because they are a split-personality kinda fish.

Sony stopped being the electronics inovator they use to be in the 70-80s the momment they went into the entertainment industry. Since then the electronics division has fallen apart because of conflicts of interest from the entertainment division and that´s because they decided they exist outside the industry and have no reason to care for customers needs.

They they longer have power over audio electronics , TV equipment, or the overwhelming position they once had over the gaming industry with the PSone.

take minidiscs for example , I bet 9 out 10 people here thinks MD went extinct years ago. I pressume not many people know of HI-MD and how it lets you record/play mp3s as well as function as a mass storage device with virtual unlimited storage capacity using 1GB discs.

Look at how appple´s Ipod advertising campaign led them where they are now; they practically own the mp3 market. I have never seen any kind of effort from Sony to promote their technology seriously. I saw a Bravia TV ad sometime ago, but that´s it. just a few of of TV ads for a couple of days and they expect to do any profit ? gosh... <_<

they are demo-ing the ps one emulation with Ridge Racer at e3...it feels ok ^_^;;

but would you download multi-discs games like FF7? imagine the time to download that ^_^;;

Edited by Gunbuster

Sony knows nothings about marketing , they have ignored the industry trends and  neglected their own products marketing-wise for YEARS.

SCE has tended to have good advertizing.

Sony is like the Salmon in the electronics industry , always going against the stream of the river; this is because they are a split-personality kinda fish. 

Yeah. Every division has their own products, and there's a LOT of infighting.

To the degree that Sony will often pay for an outside company's product when they have an in-house project that does exactly what they need.

Sony stopped being the electronics inovator they use to be in the 70-80s the momment they went into the entertainment industry. Since then the electronics division has fallen apart because of conflicts of interest from the entertainment division and that´s because they decided they exist outside the industry and have no reason to care for customers needs.

That's one fight.

They they longer have power over audio electronics , TV equipment, or the overwhelming position they once had over the gaming industry with the PSone.

They're still major players in the TV and audio markets.

take minidiscs for example , I bet 9 out 10 people here thinks MD went extinct years ago. I pressume not many people know of HI-MD and how  it lets you record/play mp3s as well as function as a mass storage device with virtual unlimited storage capacity using 1GB discs.

They died, then came back somewhere around 98. Their popularity waned as hard-drive MP3 players rose(Sony's stubborn insistence on only supporting ATRAC at the time didn't help).

While a major improvement over the earlier revisions of the disk format, 1GB isn't what I'd call virtually unlimited. I have 4 GB of just music. My last PC backup required multiple DVDRWs.

Look at how appple´s Ipod advertising campaign led them where they are now; they practically own the mp3 market. I have never seen any kind of effort from Sony to promote their technology seriously. I saw a Bravia TV ad sometime ago, but that´s it. just a few of of TV ads for a couple of days and they expect to do any profit ? gosh... <_<

Apple pushes a lot harder than anyone else in the industry.

It's how the iPod became and remains the dominant MP3 player.

Sony isn't pushing any less hard than any other TV, stereo, or game system manufacturer from what I've seen.

[i don't think so. I bought it directly from Amazon, not one of their 3rd party sellers. Prices on 2gb cards have been falling fast since Christmas.

398483[/snapback]

Yep, a lot of the cards coming out of HK and China are bootleg cards. They look identical but the plastec is softer and I think I read somewhere that the writing on the card isn't set into the plastec. I guess they split (top from bottom) pretty easily. The advantage though is that if you get one that works well they are showing significantly faster transfer times than the legit cards.

On a site I visit I read that people are getting some bootleg cards from amazon since amazon affiliates itself with some tiny stores. For example if you bought from amazon via toys R us then you likely to get a legit card. If you got yours shipped from joe blow game store...who knows.

[i don't think so. I bought it directly from Amazon, not one of their 3rd party sellers. Prices on 2gb cards have been falling fast since Christmas.

398483[/snapback]

Yep, a lot of the cards coming out of HK and China are bootleg cards. They look identical but the plastec is softer and I think I read somewhere that the writing on the card isn't set into the plastec. I guess they split (top from bottom) pretty easily. The advantage though is that if you get one that works well they are showing significantly faster transfer times than the legit cards.

On a site I visit I read that people are getting some bootleg cards from amazon since amazon affiliates itself with some tiny stores. For example if you bought from amazon via toys R us then you likely to get a legit card. If you got yours shipped from joe blow game store...who knows.

398608[/snapback]

So yeah, you meant SonDisk and Sany-type stuff?

May as well avoid the randomness factor and get a KNOWN high-performance card from a real brand.

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt this will get a US release lol

Capcom Includes Bikini With PSP Game

Bikini not to be worn, warns company.

by Anoop Gantayat 

May 15, 2006 - As if there already wasn't enough reason to pick up Capcom's latest PSP title, the company has announced the best promotional item since Tecmo tried to include a life-size inflatable Kasumi with a special edition of the Xbox. Capcom will be included an actual bikini in the limited edition of Finder Love, which hits the Japanese PSP on 6/29, just in time for the summer beach season.

Since we're sure only a handful of you keep up with the cutthroat world of live action Japanese love sims (this week's newsletter is coming soon, boys!), here's what Finder Love is all about. Finder Love is a combination gravure disk and love sim focusing on three hot Japanese girls: Hara Fumina, Hoshino Aki and Risa Kudo. The game lets players interact with the three hotties and snap pictures which can be then be traded with friends.

In a move that can only be considered a direct shot at Nintendo's Nintendogs, Capcom will be releasing Finder Love in three packages, each focusing on an individual girl. Hara Fumina fans can look forward to Finder: Love Hara Fumina -- Our Time Together. Hoshino Aki will be able to turn to Finder Love: Hoshino Aki -- Trouble Randezvous in the South. Risa Kudo fans will want to check out Finder Love: Risa Kudo -- First Shot is With You. All names have been translated to rough English equivalents.

Those who want the bikini will want to pick up the limited editions of each of these titles. Each limited edition will include, in addition to a couple of pictures and an original DVD, a bikini designed in the image of the corresponding girl. For instance, bikini included in Risa's version is yellow and pink, just like one of the outfits Risa wears in the game!

For pics (and proof that we're not making this up), check out Impress Watch.

Capcom warns that the bikinis can't be actually worn. We'll have to see about that!

http://psp.ign.com/articles/708/708751p1.html

http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060515/fl.htm

Edited by dejr8bud

Same thing Dead or Alive players do. :lol:

On an interesting note..I bought a PSP yesterday, and the firmware was 1.52....this was a new shipment from Gamestop...what were the serial number ranges for the PSP's with the older firmware. I found it odd because another PSP from the same case had 2.00 on it.

I was debating not updating it since I know some people want this version for homebrew and stuff but on the other hand....I can't play any of the games I bought if I don't update it.

Edited by Gaijin

You could potentially sell it to someone who wants an older version one for their newer version one if they want to do homebrew stuff and you don't. Honestly, I just didn't care about all that stuff...mine came 2.0 I think anywyas, so it was already a pretty much lost battle... and all of my games are newer ones.

Doesn't matter anymore. They cracked 2.0. I upgraded my firmware to 2.0 to play GTA, but a new loophole lets me play homebrew stuff just fine with that firmware. Plus there's a different loophole that lets you downgrade the firmware to 1.5. A PSP with 1.52 on it is worth no more than a PSP with 2.0 on it.

Make sure you update to 2.0 and not higher. There's apparently a totally different exploit for 2.02 that REQUIRES GTA to work, so I would not recommend that.

401623[/snapback]

I just updated to 2.5 with Exit. What kind of "exploit" do you mean?

Edited by Gaijin

I've been debating on getting a PSP for a long while now. I was wondering what was your favorite games for it. I like shooters, rpgs, strategy, command and conquer style games and turn based games (don't think they make those anymore though) Also what features of the PSP do you use the most and which ones you don't. Thanks

Anyone know where to get replacement thumbsticks? I thought you could buy real stick ones to replace the nub... all of my games are FPS, and I'm giving myself some kinda horrible thumb deformity using the nub... and I can't aim worth of crap...

EDIT: It's even be better if it were the nub with just a ruberized coating on it... something with some grip so it didn't slosh around all over the place.

Edited by promethuem5

Anyone know where to get replacement thumbsticks?  I thought you could buy real stick ones to replace the nub... all of my games are FPS, and I'm giving myself some kinda horrible thumb deformity using the nub... and I can't aim worth of crap...

EDIT:  It's even be better if it were the nub with just a ruberized coating on it... something with some grip so it didn't slosh around all over the place.

401694[/snapback]

Coat the face in dipping rubber. :D

Or the US alternatives from Naki:

post-624-1148503679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gaijin

I just updated to 2.5 with Exit.   What kind of "exploit" do you mean?

401646[/snapback]

There's some security hole in GTA's savegame feature that you can utilize to run unsigned code, i.e. homebrew. I haven't used that though, since I stayed on 2.0.

Edited by Ginrai

I've been debating on getting a PSP for a long while now.  I was wondering what was your favorite games for it.  I like shooters, rpgs, strategy, command and conquer style games and turn based games (don't think they make those anymore though)  Also what features of the PSP do you use the most and which ones you don't.  Thanks

401659[/snapback]

It's all about GTA for me. I love GTA like a puppy. Maybe that's a bad analogy, unless it's a puppy you beat, but erm, what I mean is, that game is love. Liberty City Stories is not as good as San Andreas, but still quite good and it's also portable. I wish to god I had people I could play multiplayer with, but my stupid friends all have DSes and only use it to play farting Nintendogs. YOU GUYS ARE CREEPY.

Anyway, Lumines is also cool (I HAVE played that one multi and it rules, like Tetris at a dance club), and Infection is fun shooting blowing poo up action. I use my PSP constantly to listen to mp3's or watch videos. It's pretty common for me to download an episode of something off youtube, convert it with PSP video 9 and then watch it on my lunch break at work or just listen to it while I'm working if it's in English.

I also play emulated games on it all the time, usually SNES, NES, or Genesis. Then there's the PSP port of Doom for GP32 or whatever which has been hacked into Duke Nukem 3D which I play sometimes. (I know that sounds complicated.)

I have basically no use for my GBA anymore since I can play all my old GB or GB Color games emulated on it perfectly, and SNES ports I can just play the original SNES game. I only had a couple of GBA games that weren't ports to begin with, so I don't miss it. Plus the screen on the GBA is crap. The PSP has the best screen of any handheld game system ever, and it's way, way, way better than the video iPod. It's huge and clear and gorgeous.

I also use my PSP for transferring files from one computer to another like a thumb drive or other USB storage device and when my band performs live I use the PSP to play the synth backing tracks since stupid computers are so prone to crashing or other problems when you get on stage.

I love it.

I just updated to 2.5 with Exit.   What kind of "exploit" do you mean?

401646[/snapback]

There's some security hole in GTA's savegame feature that you can utilize to run unsigned code, i.e. homebrew. I haven't used that though, since I stayed on 2.0.

401954[/snapback]

I've no desire to use homebrew or anything like that.

Well somebody finally made one...A WORKING MODCHIP FOR THE PSP! :D

Looks like it will be out soon, is upgradable, and easy to install. Plus it works with all current firmware versions and can make fouled up (brick) psp's work again.

I've heard everything from $19.99 to $90 for price.

Okay, then what are you talking about? Who cares if you upgrade the firmware? The only reason not to was homebrew/emulation.

402261[/snapback]

I was figuring that maybe there was someone that wanted that one and if I should have sold it and bought another. That's all.

Looks like it will be out soon, is upgradable, and easy to install.  Plus it works with all current firmware versions and can make fouled up (brick) psp's work again.

403249[/snapback]

Does that modchip disable UMD movie regions?

Edited by Gaijin

What else would it do? I thought that the games worked region free....?

And Gaijin, thanks for your help, I got the Naki pack yesterday, and have been kicking ass in SWBF ever since... actually being able to aim and snipe feels amazing, and the ship combat just got about 10x deeper and more fulfilling.:D

Okay, then what are you talking about? Who cares if you upgrade the firmware? The only reason not to was homebrew/emulation.

402261[/snapback]

Considering the list of PSP games available that I'd actually want to play, emulation would be my primary reason for getting one.

I have a friend that picked one up when they first came out. The only use he has for it is emulators.

Looks like it will be out soon, is upgradable, and easy to install.  Plus it works with all current firmware versions and can make fouled up (brick) psp's work again.

403249[/snapback]

Linky? :D