Star Blazers is fine, especially if you remember that rather than yelling "We're going to crash into them!", he was actually yelling "Long Live Leader Desslock!!" (Desslar, whatever)

And the guy who does Desslock in Starblazers is so deadpan he makes me laugh every time, some FANTASTIC voice acting. (Love Avatars voice too.)

Definitely don't bother with the first Yamato movie, but watch Arreverderci AFTER you have watched Yamato 2. Its still a lot of fun and some really gruesome stuff was cut out for TV. After Yamato 2 it gets very weird and I thought anticlimactic.

Taksraven

I agree that Yamato 2 was the high point (so good that even Star Trek III ripped it off), but I also enjoyed the inbetween movies. Yamato 3 was pretty weak, until the team up with Desslor & the new Gamilus. Final managed to be appropriately epic though, even if Nishizaki foolishly & needlesly

killed Shima

I agree that Yamato 2 was the high point (so good that even Star Trek III ripped it off), but I also enjoyed the inbetween movies. Yamato 3 was pretty weak, until the team up with Desslor & the new Gamilus. Final managed to be appropriately epic though, even if Nishizaki foolishly & needlesly

killed Shima

Sorry, I have to disagree. I thought Yamato 2 was a cop out. Arrivederci was magnificent and that movie should've been the end of Kodai and Co. They could've made Yamato 2 with a new cast of characters (IMHO) but we all know that couldn't happen. ^_^

Final Yamato was a complete mess IMO. From the magically autopiloting Yamato to the

"I died but I got better, just to die once more" Capt. Okita, to the death of Shima

Still, despite some faults, I enjoy all the Yamato movies and TV series.

Dunno if I'd recommend watching Yamato 2 before Arrivederci. Personally I'd watch Arriverderci first as that's how my generation experienced it. IMHO, the shock and emotional effect of Arrivederci is lesser if you watch Yamato 2 first.

Edited by Vifam7

Is Arrivederci the same thing as Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato? I'm assuming it is, but I'm not fluent with anything outside the first and second seasons, plus it sounds like there was more than one goodbye, so I'm just asking to make sure. :)

Is Arrivederci the same thing as Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato? I'm assuming it is, but I'm not fluent with anything outside the first and second seasons, plus it sounds like there was more than one goodbye, so I'm just asking to make sure. :)

Yeah, it is. "Farewell Space Battleship Yamato: Soldiers of Love" is the Japanese title of the film. "Arrivederci Yamato" was printed on promotional stuff.

And I agree with Vifam 7 that "Farewell" should be watched before Yamato 2.

Yeah, it is. "Farewell Space Battleship Yamato: Soldiers of Love" is the Japanese title of the film. "Arrivederci Yamato" was printed on promotional stuff.

And I agree with Vifam 7 that "Farewell" should be watched before Yamato 2.

I'm not losing any sleep over this but I stand by my original opinion.

Taksraven

I like the jacket and he has Kodai's hair.

Reason for edit: oh come on! If you watch enough anime you don't need translation for the 3 lines of MAYBE 5 syllables!

It's ok, just gave me an excuse to watch it again...MORE! GIVE US MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, the hair and he jacket are spot on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen... I believe you may find this video very very interesting... cool.gif

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_vMIXm1Ab0U

(The CGI is just a test version. The final CGI will be much much better I've been told...)

The only thing worse than knowing that it won't be out until December, is knowing that it will probably never be released here...

I have seen Hell, and it is filled with Hello Kitty Yamato jewelry.

I think the movie looks great! Can't wait to pine for it to be released in the US, knowing that it never will.

Then again, I just rented "The War in Space" and I liked it - mind you I'm not saying it was good...

Back to yamato, in the clip above, the ship showing up at 1:24 looks a lot like the one that comes out of the Comet Empire after it is destroyed.

Edited by Dynaman