Wow, that's a lot of irrational hate you got goin' on there, but hell, I'll play along.

Yamato pretty succesfully set's out what it wanted to do, combine the first series & Arrividerci into one cohesive movie, and that it excells at. Meanwhile all 3 TF movies have yet to throw down any plot more complex than "bad robots want something, we gotta stop them, fight, etc. Yamato delivered on recognizble characters, Transformers delivered on bi-polar Optimus Prime. Don't get me wrong, I actually like all of the franchises we're discussiong here despite various problems witha ll of them, but Yamato definately comes out on top o fthis heap. As for BSG, I don't see how you can hammer Yamato for melodrama when BSG was full of episodes of nothing but soap opera-ey melodrama. But that wasn't where my comparison stemmed from in the first place, it was from concept originality. As for the CG, that was pretty much even keel between the two. No matter what you like, fact is Yamato did it first, and BSG payed proper homage complete with doing their version of the countdown at the end of each episode, though theirs was a survivor tally at the beginning. If you weren't big on Yamato, that's fine, I'm not saying the movie was problem free. Just don't act like it was some piece of Asylum trash.

Yes, calling names makes your points salient and worthwhile. :rolleyes:

But you go on, keep talking up how great this movie is, your fanboy fueled delusions are hilarious.

Yes, calling names makes your points salient and worthwhile. :rolleyes:

But you go on, keep talking up how great this movie is, your fanboy fueled delusions are hilarious.

Now fellas, play nice before someone shuts down this thread.

It describes the *bad* movies from Japan.

I should have just left it at the campiness and melodramatic acting when I quoted you, because those are the parts that seem universal in Japanese films/TV shows. I actually enjoyed the Yamato movie. Yes, it's flawed, but it was also fun.

LOL.

This movie has all the same problems as the Transformers movies. Unless you're just giving it bonus points for being in Japanese.

The two biggest problems with the first Transformers movie for me (never saw parts 2 or 3) were the borderline-racist stereotypes and lame, lame "comedy."

Yamato didn't have these problems.

It had OTHER problems, of course, but overall I found it pretty satisfying. Worth the rental price, definitely.

The two biggest problems with the first Transformers movie for me (never saw parts 2 or 3) were the borderline-racist stereotypes and lame, lame "comedy."

It had OTHER problems, of course, but overall I found it pretty satisfying. Worth the rental price, definitely.

I thought the twins were in the second movie? Were they in the first? I don't remember. Anyway, the toilet humor was pretty stupid....glad the Anylizer didn't have to uncork his fly to pee on any baddies.

On the same token, in Yamato, way too many men were crying like little school girls/boys. I dunno, maybe it's just Japanese movie culture. I asked my wife about that - if Japanese men cry a lot, and she says only in movies.

Even Musashi cried when Otsu gave him a few rice balls.....wtf.

Edited by peter

I thought the twins were in the second movie? Were they in the first? I don't remember. Anyway, the toilet humor was pretty stupid....glad the Anylizer didn't have to uncork his fly to pee on any baddies.

On the same token, in Yamato, way too many men were crying like little school girls/boys. I dunno, maybe it's just Japanese movie culture. I asked my wife about that - if Japanese men cry a lot, and she says only in movies.

Even Musashi cried when Otsu gave him a few rice balls.....wtf.

They're called "men's passsionate tears." You betta recconize!

Probably referring to Jazz's forced "blackness' in the first movie. "Whassup bi**hes, this looks like a good place to kick it..." That kinda stuff...

It was more the "comical" black guy stealing donuts and stuff, and the "Ho-ho-ho, that guy just can't stop speaking Spanish even though nobody understands his crazy language" scenes.

So yeah, Yamato had none of that. Although the guy who played Saito was quite the overactor.

It was more the "comical" black guy stealing donuts and stuff, and the "Ho-ho-ho, that guy just can't stop speaking Spanish even though nobody understands his crazy language" scenes.

So yeah, Yamato had none of that. Although the guy who played Saito was quite the overactor.

Yeah, but at least they had the curiousy to both tranq & shoot him :)

Bay's Transformers films were an absolute train wreck mess.

I haven't seen Battleship Yamato all the way through. But I did get to see about 20 minutes of it, and those twenty minutes alone had more redeeming qualities than perhaps ALL of Bay's films together. :-)

But my opinions aside, BOTH of these franchises were difficult adaptations. I think Yamato had it a bit easier in that department. Taking something with the source material being around for so long, with so many devoted fans, well, as Ackbar screams, "It's a trap."

You do something new, you upset the old school fans. You try to remake what has been done, you upset the old school fans. You try to do both, you just piss off everybody.

Battleship Yamato is on the top of my list of movies to watch. I commend them for making such a valiant effort. But from what I've seen, there was some changes that probably should have been made prior to filming that just weren't. Again, I've only seen twenty minutes of it.

Well, hard to be racist for Yamato when the whole damn cast was Japanese!!! Looks like no one else survived the bombardment I think.

It was the melodramatic acting that spoilt it for me (although I still enjoyed the movie, c'mon, its Yamato!). That last part when the whole freakin earth/humanity was about to get blown up and they still had time to make tearful monologues on the bridge was quite unbelievable! (pretty much like those Godzilla movies..)

p.s. Oh and for Bay's Transformers. I still havent gotten past the insect robot looks to comment on the crappy story.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

Yeah, it was sure lucky for the Earth that the Gamilus missile was crusing on slow, otherwise everyone would have died while Kodai was prepping :) In hindsight, I really am surprised at how much Arrividerci made it i nto this movie. It's near 50/50 blend between Arrividerci & the first Yamato series. It makes me wish they'd have saved it for a truly epic comet empire movie.

Just finished watching this film (thanks youtube!)

It started off great! Middle was ok. Glad they didn't use the wave gun all the time.

The ending was drawn out!

Don't understand why everyone was killed off! Do they not understand sequels??

Yoshinobu Nishizaku was a big proponent of killing off characters in epic flashy deaths. Leiji Matsumoto on the otherhand doesn't like seeing his characters needlessly die. Guess which one won out control of the franchise?

This is an interview with Leiji Matsumoto from last year touching on this topic, along with other fun tidbits about the inception of Yamato.

http://www.starblaze...php?page_id=549

Edited by Keith

Yoshinobu Nishizaku was a big proponent of killing off characters in epic flashy deaths. Leiji Matsumoto on the otherhand doesn't like seeing his characters needlessly die. Guess which one won out control of the franchise?

I'm actually kinda with Nishizaki on this point (although I'm with him on nothing else).

To me, above all else, Yamato is about hard work and sacrifice. And sacrifice without the constant threat of death is kinda toothless.

I'm also with Renato about the fact that Meisa Kuroki looks really good in tight jeans.

Don't understand why everyone was killed off! Do they not understand sequels??

Thank God, personally I'm really tired of the modern US film industry needing to turn every film into a "franchise"

[edit] - I don't know what the standard for this kind of thing are in Japan. But in this case it would be good for Hollywood to learn something from them.

Edited by Dynaman

Yeah, no kidding! It really doesn't make any sense to kill off both captains....over-acting and over-drama.......if there is such a word, haha!

This is one of those moments in movie history where they need to learn a thing or two from Hollywood (I can't believe I typed those words...someone kill me).

• 2 years later...

North American fans, rejoice! Space Battleship Yamato is currently on a limited theatrical run in the U.S. Here are the dates and venues:

October 27, 5:00 p.m. - Downtown Independent, Los Angeles, CA

October 23, 7:30 p.m. - Alamo Drafthouse Vintage Park, Houston, TX

October 25-31 - Ward Stadium 16, Honolulu, HI

October 26, 6:00 p.m. - 4 Star Theatre, San Francisco, CA

November 12, 7:00 p.m. - Capitol Theatre, Cleveland, OH

November 14, 7:30 p.m. - Mason Park, Katy, TX

The film will also premiere in Canada at select Cineplex theaters on November 11.

Space Battleship Yamato

Nice! (I guess I'm the only one that liked it... for what it was). I love that a remake doesn't have to be a complete re-imagining that pays no respect to the original - especially design wise. Love the new metallic look of an ultra-detailed Yamato - without sacrificing the overall original look, feel and design.

So will this theatrical release be dubbed or at least subtitled?

Nice! (I guess I'm the only one that liked it... for what it was). I love that a remake doesn't have to be a complete re-imagining that pays no respect to the original - especially design wise. Love the new metallic look of an ultra-detailed Yamato - without sacrificing the overall original look, feel and design.

Subbed.

I agree with you William, I liked it for what it was too. Also really liked the movie Yamato, too bad a kit was never made of it.

Chris

Wow, thread back from the dead! Thanks for the update, and thanks for including the link for the Canadian release.

I love/hated the movie, but I still think I want to see the effects on the big screen.

North American fans, rejoice! Space Battleship Yamato is currently on a limited theatrical run in the U.S. Here are the dates and venues:

October 27, 5:00 p.m. - Downtown Independent, Los Angeles, CA

October 23, 7:30 p.m. - Alamo Drafthouse Vintage Park, Houston, TX

October 25-31 - Ward Stadium 16, Honolulu, HI

October 26, 6:00 p.m. - 4 Star Theatre, San Francisco, CA

November 12, 7:00 p.m. - Capitol Theatre, Cleveland, OH (THE FU...? Really?)

November 14, 7:30 p.m. - Mason Park, Katy, TX

The film will also premiere in Canada at select Cineplex theaters on November 11.

Space Battleship Yamato

HOLY CRAP! HOLYYYYYY crap. and i got premission to drag the Retard with me. so getting tickets Tommorrow!

Damn, I was three hours away from seeing it on screen this weekend, but I finally did watch it at home. Loved the film. It was melodramatic, but so was the original series, and that one of the things I loved about it. I believe it was the first cartoon I remember from my childhood where characters actually bit the bullet.