Does the Yamato get destroyed at the end of the movie? It looked like their was a lot of crying, and the bridge exploding around that one guy I have not watched the original before.

Thanks! A bit spoiler-ish though...

Hmmm... Mori Yuki is quite different character this time...

Is the GX-57 worth getting even if I already have the BPX-01?

I would say no, I have the BPX and from those pictures I think it looks as good as if not a bit better than the GX, but that's just my opinion. ;)

Chris

Wow! great review!!! I really hope they can get an american release, I REALLY want to see it!!

Chris

Gotta say, the more I see of the Black Tiger and the Zero, the more I'm liking them. Especially the Tiger. The picture of the Black Tiger model in the Gamelon fighters link really sold me on it! Hope they do make some models from this movie. I really want to see more of the Cosmo Zero but so far the only thing I'm not crazy about with it is the box canopy.

Chris

post-265-129099405001_thumb.jpg

post-265-129099406402_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dobber

Is the GX-57 worth getting even if I already have the BPX-01?

I'll letcha know when it arrives this week.

I don't know if I'll need two Yamato's in my collection with the Andromeda on the way.

If you want a taste of the initial EDF vs. Gamilus fleet battle.

I think we ALL know how that ended up...you can skip the rest after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyEeXC9vQjs

Thanks for the link. CGI will always be hokey to me, but seeing the wave motion gun charge up was pretty frakking cool...

I'll letcha know when it arrives this week.

I don't know if I'll need two Yamato's in my collection with the Andromeda on the way.

I'll let you all know what I think too as I had the BPX-01 at one point. From the pics I think the GX-57 has the better sculpt, but I think I'm going to have to take my Gundam marker to color in the panel lines. Mine is also coming in sometime this week.

-Kyp

Wait a minute, they didn't bother to panel line the Yamato, but they panel lined the Andromeda, WTF?

-Kyp

The SOC Yamato has the same amount of panel lining as the Andromeda pictured above. Got mine the other day (Ami Ami). Kinda impressive, thought it would be bigger though. Didn't come with batteries for the remote, not sure about the ship itself, haven't really opened it up yet. Has some weight to it, but I hope it never gets knocked over. Wings just pop right onto and off of the ship, kinda slick.

From that website in the post above:

The opening date of the film alone is already something special, because in new movies in Japan usually open on Saturdays. However, December 1st is considered “Movie Day” (Eiga-no Hi), and so the producers were able to make this release special occasion and release it before the weekend. Kimura was in very high spirits at the opening ceremony today, as he said, “I hope that everyone will board the Yamato!”

OK, apparently this guy has written books and is considered an authority on Japanese movies somewhat. Be that as it may, he neglected to mention the real reason the 1st (of every month, in fact, not just December) is considered "Movie Day", and that is that movies are half price on that day.

"Ticket sales are high" can mean they sold many tickets, not necessarily that the revenue from the sales was high. They aimed to release this movie on the first because ticket prices are lower on that day, so they figured they would sell more.

OK, let us think about that for a while. When I heard the movie would be released on a Wednesday, I was confused. Why isn't it on a Saturday, as usual? Then I looked at the date and it made sense. The only message I got from that is that they had little confidence in their product. The Yamato Resurrection anime movie last year was a failure, and they understandably wanted some kind of insurance when banking on a high-budget movie which is not a romantic tale of a high school love-torn couple, one of whom is dying of some arbitrary illness, which is the basic template of a modern hit Japanese movie. Kids in Tears = Money. To most, Yamato is an alienating sci-fi ball of CG that people might not feel like bothering to see unless you slash ticket prices.

That is why I would take that article and all other "wow" reports of "successful" openings and whatnot with a pinch of salt. Let us see if the movie is good or not. I personally think it looks good, Kim-Tak notwithstanding. Even if the rest of the film sucks, if someone can promise me several shots of Meisa in tight costume (even jeans -- no, wait, especially jeans!), I'm there.

Also, I would point out that I'm guessing they had overseas distribution deals planned well in advance, probably back in the pre-production phase, because from what we have seen of Japanese consumption peculiarities, I would be flabbergasted if this type of movie made its money back in the domestic market alone. At the very least I know for a fact that many modern anime works like this these days.

To paraphrase Dobert and Teddy Roosevelt "Out! Out!, you Nattering Nabob of Negativity!"

Did you not read what I wrote about Meisa??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--0RSz1Vvf4

Who gives a crap about spaceships. JEANS. :lol:B))

To be fair, they are promoting the hell out of this on TV. As I type this, right now on TV Kimura Takuya is visiting the SDF and they are all saluting him and stuff.

Did you not read what I wrote about Meisa??

No - and I just looked for the word Meisa and didn't see anything. (I can't get to youtube here at work either, have to watch that later)

Besides - the whole point is to not bother me with facts! I WANT MY YAMATO MOVIE! (even if it turns into a big stinking pile of dog excrement)

(side note - I did not like the new Gamilas ship designs seen in the opening battle, but I still want it)

Finally I got my Movie Version Cpt. Harlock Arcadia arrived

This is the limited version and its blue instead of green but really in person is not so bright blue and I actually now prefer this color. Funny I still like the movie version arcadia more the OVA version. I guess its the bulk and the HUGE skull and cross bones.

Now eagerly awaiting the SOC Andromeda

DSC04701.jpg

DSC04702.jpg

DSC04705.jpg

DSC04706.jpg

Saw it with Tochiro, Tim Eldred and a few others in Yurakucho the first Friday of it's opening. Our showing was at 9:20pm, I would estimate there was only about 50 to 60 people tops in the theater, the theater we seen it in seats 944. Being a former theater manager I would rule it out as a flop. The movie has cool elements but unless you are familiar with the actual story line and mentally fill in the missing gaps of needed story I'm certain new viewers will be pretty much lost.

Edited by Save

Save! Don't bother me with facts! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though. Sigh. Sometimes I just think Japan has sunk into the pacific and all that's left is this odd, abstract facsimile. It's kind of in the right place, it looks a bit like it should, but it ain't the same. People in this country were the best in the world at visualizing science-fiction, they had managed to industrialize artistic techniques, and they created a well-concentrated pool of talent. Unfortunately, they shoved them out of sight, and now it's like they never existed. This movie probably should have been made ten or 20 years ago, maybe it would have had some impact.

Then again, it's the weekend now, hopefully it will do better..?

I'm in Tokyo for the weekend. Decided at the last minute to watch it at the Humax cinema in Ikebukuro, late movie at 8:20pm. Cinema was about 30% filled, maybe 70-80 ppl.

Now bearing in mind that I've never watched the anime before, and that my knowledge of Japanese is marginally passable, I thought it was a decent flick. I can't reminisce about the changes made from the anime to the adaptation so I can only judge it as it is.

I generally enjoyed it, loved the CGI, and could roughly follow what was happening on-scene. To me, the only one which required a leap of faith was the

ground assault. Though it looked great, many parts didn't make sense, not much of a flow (perhaps cos no destination was actually shown on screen), it just seemed to be one scene after another.

I think the film could have benefited from being a two parter. There were some interesting characters in the movie, especially the Chief Engineer guy, but it seemed like due to plot and length the characters suffered.

Really awesome was the Yamato doing the

Adama maneuver

I'll still get the eventual home release... it's also made me more interested in the anime!

And jeans... so tight... ;)

I'm in Tokyo for the weekend. Decided at the last minute to watch it at the Humax cinema in Ikebukuro, late movie at 8:20pm. Cinema was about 30% filled, maybe 70-80 ppl.

Now bearing in mind that I've never watched the anime before, and that my knowledge of Japanese is marginally passable, I thought it was a decent flick. I can't reminisce about the changes made from the anime to the adaptation so I can only judge it as it is.

I generally enjoyed it, loved the CGI, and could roughly follow what was happening on-scene. To me, the only one which required a leap of faith was the

ground assault. Though it looked great, many parts didn't make sense, not much of a flow (perhaps cos no destination was actually shown on screen), it just seemed to be one scene after another.

I think the film could have benefited from being a two parter. There were some interesting characters in the movie, especially the Chief Engineer guy, but it seemed like due to plot and length the characters suffered.

Really awesome was the Yamato doing the

Adama maneuver

Did the captain jump the Yamato in to the atmospher and than jump out after discharging the fighters and used it as distraction that is the Adama Maneuver, but if the Capitan rams the Yamato in to the enemy ship/space station that is the Macross Prometheus maneuver/attack they did that in the Macross series to force the Macross in to the center of the ship to blow it up.

News: Live-Action Yamato Earns 943 Million Yen in 5 Days

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-12-06/live-action-yamato-earns-943-million-yen-in-5-days

The live-action film adaptation of the science-fiction anime Space Battleship Yamato was seen 791,012 times on its way to earning 943,995,550 yen (about US$11.4 million) in five days. The film's distributor TOHO made the announcement on Monday. The film was seen 412,129 times and made 528,215,150 yen (US$6.4 million) during the December 4-5 weekend alone, which put the film at #1 on the weekend box office chart.

Is it just me, or does the hadouhou/wavemotion gun look a bit.....off. Not complaining though, just noticed it's a bit different. The rest of the ship looks great though.

On another note, videos about the movie posted on youtube are getting pulled down about as fast as they are going up....crappy.

Edited by peter

http://www.screendaily.com/news/distribution/space-battleship-yamato-foreign-sales-steam-ahead/5021451.article

Wild Side Films has picked up rights for France, Splendid Film for Germany; Golden Harvest, Catchplay, Encore among those active in Asia.

Following Space Battleship Yamato’s world premiere at last month’s American Film Market, TBS (Tokyo Broadcast System) continues to close sales deals for the sci-fi action spectacle.

In Asia, Golden Harvest have bought rights in China, Hong Kong and Macau while Taiwanese rights went to Catchplay. Encore Films bought combined rights for Singapore, Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia. Sahamongkolfilm International made a deal for Thai rights.

Boosting Yamato’s international profile, Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler recorded an original song for the film. US offers are also reportedly on the table.

Space Battleship Yamato opened the top of the Japanese box office over the weekend, denying Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 a third week at number one.

Sweet Yamato kicked Potter's Arse nice.

I read somewhere else that Yamato made 11 Million USD on opening week. Is that true? And if so is that considered a lot of money in Japan? Here in the US it would be labelled a bomb for that kind of opening weekend, but I have no idea what is expected in Japan.