Question About The Various Anime Cons

So there was this anime convention about a month ago here in the Minneapolis/St Paul area in Minnesota and I was thinking of going to find some good comic/anime shops. I've never lived in the metro here before and have been in Arizona for the last 6 years. Anyway it turns out that it cost like $50 to go! :blink:

WTF...is this the normal price for a ticket to an anime festival or con?

They wouldn't let people buy just a day ticket, you had to buy the entire weekend. Is this normal?

If that's the case why bother. For my wife and I to go one day just to look around and maybe buy a little stuff its not worth it.

If this is normal, than are these cons and festivals limiting the people that can afford to attend. How many high school or elemtary kids are gonna fork down $50 just to go to a convention?

So there was this anime convention about a month ago here in the Minneapolis/St Paul area in Minnesota and I was thinking of going to find some good comic/anime shops.  I've never lived in the metro here before and have been in Arizona for the last 6 years.  Anyway it turns out that it cost like $50 to go!  :blink: 

WTF...is this the normal price for a ticket to an anime festival or con?

They wouldn't let people buy just a day ticket, you had to buy the entire weekend.  Is this normal?

If that's the case why bother.  For my wife and I to go one day just to look around and maybe buy a little stuff its not worth it.

If this is normal, than are these cons and festivals limiting the people that can afford to attend.  How many high school or elemtary kids are gonna fork down $50 just to go to a convention?

392061[/snapback]

I imagine the $50 admission would include a weekend pass. Weekend passes usually include Friday nights, so really you're getting 2 and 1/2 days.

All cons offer 1 day passes and many cons offer a dealers room pass for $10 - $20

• 6 years later...

I did a search for Minnesota gatherings and came across this. In essence, I'm bumping it as a call out for other Minnesota gatherings. :)

ConVERGEnce is the largest regional midwest Con and is well-attended by thousands. They keep increasing the price and people keep coming, including a boatload of non-Con people who attend for the parties and gawk-n-stare. I've gone the last two years and won't attend this year.

Anime Detour has a population cap and they're not willing to explode. They increase their prices a little but they still "cap out" each year. It's fabulous but I have never attended.