• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 6:59 PM, sh9000 said:

BEST Joker!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Batman:TAS was the perfect confluence of time period and the right talented people with a cohesive vision. It's one of very few American animated shows that I can think of that still stands up today for its quality across the board, and I believe centuries down the road, it'll still be a notable classic series of the late twentieth century.

Shirley Walker was definitely an unsung hero to this show- the music she created gave it so much atmosphere, punctuated the action, and provided a rich tapestry of tone to set the mood for every scene. It wouldn't have been the same show had they just gone with simple synthesizer bits thrown in. RIP, and thanks for the incredible music.

It's been thirty years and aside from the other DC animated shows, which the same team produced, there's been little within American animation, Disney notwithstanding, to compare. That's sad.  From what I've seen over the years, American animation has devolved, while the Japanese continue to perfect the artform. I enjoy anime, but I also wish we'd see more original high quality animation domestically. The talent's here- as Sidney Iwanter mentioned, it's likely not due to lack of talent, but the marketers and production people above them who are fearful of treading new ground who are stymying any possibility of modern shows in the vein of B:TAS from coming to fruition. Their fear of taking a leap means we all lose.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...