2 hours ago, Chowser said:

I'd recommend insurance.  I haven't researched any because I'm still covered by my employer.  A lawsuit is no joke.  Mine went 6 years.  We finally won.  But if I had to pay for the lawyers, I'd be broke.

You had a good shoot then spent 6yrs fighting a civil suit?

It wasn't even a shoot.  We were in the jail so I didn't have my gun but an inmate trying to kill corrections officers died by my hands.  We were sued for wrongful death, improper training, etc.  Family just wanted a payout.  City fought it instead of just paying them to go away.

I'm in the beginnings of another lawsuit now I'm guessing??  Some crazy lady came to our station and requested my entire training record.  No clue what I did to her.  Another PD killed her son a few years ago when he pointed a gun at them.

14 hours ago, sqidd said:

What do you pay for this liability coverage and what is the overall protection? Thanks!

I'm in Canada, so the only way I'm gonna be cleared is if the intruder into my house is armed, and I get them in an amount of shots that I can call justifiable in front of a judge or jury... all b earing in mind there is no, official anyway, castle doctrine here. But there is a "reasonable force" restriction.

If someone breaks in with a machete, and I shoot them, I'm probably in an ass-load of trouble.

No public carry, concealed or otherwise, up here.

I have no idea the costs or actual coverage, but I can query my American acquaintances.

Edited by slide
3 hours ago, Chowser said:

It wasn't even a shoot.  We were in the jail so I didn't have my gun but an inmate trying to kill corrections officers died by my hands.  We were sued for wrongful death, improper training, etc.  Family just wanted a payout.  City fought it instead of just paying them to go away.

I'm in the beginnings of another lawsuit now I'm guessing??  Some crazy lady came to our station and requested my entire training record.  No clue what I did to her.  Another PD killed her son a few years ago when he pointed a gun at them.

Good luck, friend.

Mad respect for wearing a shield, let alone in these ridiculous times.

5 hours ago, Chowser said:

Wow. I don't know how you guys do it. You don't get paid enough.

Definitely don’t get paid enough. 916 days till I’m eligible to retire. Had a guy with an AR pistol point it at us the other night. Didn’t end well for him. It’s getting stupid out. I’m hoping to get my 25 years in then I’m out. 

Soooooo, because it looks like Biden will be POTUS and I haven't gotten a gun in 5yrs (well, except the other one I got last week:p) I finally broke down and filled the hole where my precision AR-10 was with what I should have gotten. A bolt gun. Ruger RPR 338 Lapua. Not as Gucci as a TAC or the like, but everything I have seen on it says it’s really, really good. Especially for the money. It will be here is 3-4 days. Pretty excited to get it all set up and send some $5 bills down range. I'm lucky to have a 600yd range 1.5mi from my house.

https://ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/specSheets/18080.html

18080-RPR338LM-1.jpg

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Soooooo, because it looks like Biden will be POTUS and I haven't gotten a gun in 5yrs (well, except the other one I got last week:p) I finally broke down and filled the hole where my precision AR-10 was with what I should have gotten. A bolt gun. Ruger RPR 338 Lapua. Not as Gucci as a TAC or the like, but everything I have seen on it says it’s really, really good. Especially for the money. It will be here is 3-4 days. Pretty excited to get it all set up and send some $5 bills down range. I'm lucky to have a 600yd range 1.5mi from my house.

https://ruger.com/products/precisionRifle/specSheets/18080.html

18080-RPR338LM-1.jpg

Interesting.  I might have to look into one of these.

5 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Interesting.  I might have to look into one of these.

A guy I know and former Marine Recon and current master machinist/fabricator absolutely loves his. Do $7000 guns shoot better. Maybe. Do they shoot $5000 better? Negative Ghost Rider. He's banging 1000m shot after shot after shot with out of the box ammo. I watched a few tests/videos and one guy was getting .43MOA using out of the box ammo. I'd wager the gun is better than me. Or likely better than I will ever get. 

If I was smart I would have gotten a .308. But I've alreday done that. And I'm not smart. And I like ridiculous stuff. The only reason I didn't get a 50 is I have nowhere to shoot one.:p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a nearly 25 year absence I am finally back into a long lost and missed hobby!

Renewed my firearms licence and picked up this Lithgow Arms .308 rifle. Couldn't go overboard with it and spend huge money but I am very happy with what I got. Yeah the Myopta scope isn't the sharpest tool around but it'll have to do for now. Just couldn't justify spending double the rifle cost on a scope at this stage. Though it should be more than accurate enough for up to 500-600 meters.

Unfortunately my weekend is full with other stuff so I'll have to wait till next weekend to go do some target shooting. Can't wait!

20201127_192601.jpg

20201127_192609.jpg

1 hour ago, spanner said:

After a nearly 25 year absence I am finally back into a long lost and missed hobby!

Renewed my firearms licence and picked up this Lithgow Arms .308 rifle. Couldn't go overboard with it and spend huge money but I am very happy with what I got. Yeah the Myopta scope isn't the sharpest tool around but it'll have to do for now. Just couldn't justify spending double the rifle cost on a scope at this stage. Though it should be more than accurate enough for up to 500-600 meters.

Unfortunately my weekend is full with other stuff so I'll have to wait till next weekend to go do some target shooting. Can't wait!

20201127_192601.jpg

20201127_192609.jpg

Very cool!

As far as scopes go I think the days of spending $2000 on a scope aren't necessary anymore. There are a few players in the $500 range that are making INCREDIBLE units. I just got a Arken Optics SH4 6-24x50. My Marine Recon buddy recommended it. He frequently shoots out to 2000m with it. I looked up reviews and it seems really well received across the board. All I have to do now is wait 7 more weeks for it to arrive. Apparently they're quite popular.:p

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

Very cool!

As far as scopes go I think the days of spending $2000 on a scope aren't necessary anymore. There are a few players in the $500 range that are making INCREDIBLE units. I just got a Arken Optics SH4 6-24x50. My Marine Recon buddy recommended it. He frequently shoots out to 2000m with it. I looked up reviews and it seems really well received across the board. All I have to do now is wait 7 more weeks for it to arrive. Apparently they're quite popular.:p

The Myopta scope was about $1100 which is roughly equivalent of the range of scopes you mentioned plus the Australia tax.. the next step up was about 2.5 to 2.8k which was getting a bit silly. I'll definitely look up that scope you mentioned as I do intend to get a second rifle of some sort a little later on.

49 minutes ago, Chowser said:

I just bought extended Glock mags for my incoming CMMG Banshee.  I'm on week 10 of my wait for it.  I think they were 12-17 weeks behind.

Looks like you probably have one of the SB Tactical braces too? I just picked up a Springfield Victor that has one. The whole point of getting that pistol was that it's a pistol and I can "carry" it in a backpack in the truck/car (or wherever I wear it). It looks like the ATF is going to go after the braces next (apparently they have too much spare time). WTH are people with AR pistols, etc supposed to do then? The lower is registered as a pistol. I don't really care to have a SBR (can't "carry" it) so no point in getting a stamp for it. Do I turn it into a rifle with a 16" barrel? Is there any weirdness with having a pistol lower with a rifle length barrel? It doesn't make sense that it would be a no no. But a lot of this stuff doesn't make sense.

Just thinking out loud/frustrated. I really don't need another 16" AR. I hope I didn't piss my money away on that thing....and the backpack. And all the stuff to kit the backpack out.

I have three or four? of the SBA3 braces.  If push comes to shove, just take it off and use the buffer tube like we did in the old days with pistol ARs.

But (those with sensitive ears, cover them now) if ATF pushes a ban then FATF.

Good luck enforcing it.

I have registered SBRs so it's not really an issue so I could just move lowers around but I'm keeping my pistol builds as pistol builds.  My last SBR will be the Banshee once I get a serial number for it, I will start the process.

Most local LE agencies will not have time to enforce a pistol brace ban.  I can't even keep up with our current call volume and it's a lot of stupid stuff.

3 minutes ago, Chowser said:

I have three or four? of the SBA3 braces.  If push comes to shove, just take it off and use the buffer tube like we did in the old days with pistol ARs.

But (those with sensitive ears, cover them now) if ATF pushes a ban then FATF.

Good luck enforcing it.

I have registered SBRs so it's not really an issue so I could just move lowers around but I'm keeping my pistol builds as pistol builds.  My last SBR will be the Banshee once I get a serial number for it, I will start the process.

Most local LE agencies will not have time to enforce a pistol brace ban.  I can't even keep up with our current call volume and it's a lot of stupid stuff.

My biggest concern would be having it with me out in the world and for whatever reason it getting "inspected". I really don't want to be a walking/talking felony. I'd have to ditch the brace I suppose. Sigh.

Mostly I'm just bummed (potentially) that I kitted out this super sweet backpack with the AR pistol, spare G19, mags, some get home bag type stuff, etc. Stupid brace law stuff. Like it will really make a difference in a defense situation if it's the brace or the buffer tube in my shoulder. I'll still make the kits. One will just hurt my shoulder more. It's like the stupid suppressor laws. WTH are those saving anyone from? Movie assassins? Now I'm just ranting.......

3 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

The 33rd 9mm Glock mags? I see Brownells has them in stock. ETS makes good magazines too.

I want a G18 (I think that's the model) with a 33rd mag just because it's so silly.:p

Back to the subject of CPL liability insurance. Looks like my insurance company alreday covers me up to $300K. For $25 more per year I can make that $1M. Afer that I need to get an umbrella policy cost unknown.

For those of you that have insurance or have had the "pleasure" of going through a good shoot and getting sued. What do you think about $1M in coverage? Should I be looking for more?

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Back to the subject of CPL liability insurance. Looks like my insurance company alreday covers me up to $300K. For $25 more per year I can make that $1M. Afer that I need to get an umbrella policy cost unknown.

For those of you that have insurance or have had the "pleasure" of going through a good shoot and getting sued. What do you think about $1M in coverage? Should I be looking for more?

Thanks!

I don't have the insurance. I don't see it as necessary unless you live in a dangerous area with crappy laws that won't protect you so YMMV. The old saying is 'if you have time to aim it's not self defense.'