3 hours ago, peter said:

Anyone here attending Shot Show this year?

Ha, I wish! Unfortunately I hadn't seen anything remotely interesting out of Shot Show this year. I suspect its because gun manufacturers were preparing for the worst due to a certain political event last year that thankfully didn't happen.

That being said I hope gun manufacturers won't feel like they are tied down and work on some real innovations for the next several years.

10 hours ago, peter said:

I have a couple of buddies attending.  This interests me:

These are actually ready to ship

For their ACRs? I had a lot of interest in the ACR at one time but lost it after seeing how little support there was for it.

EDIT: So it does look like Bushmaster is back with the ACR. Gee, I wonder why. Probably has something to do with a certain political event last year. Little late as bullpups are the future, not expensive ACRs.

Edited by TangledThorns

Attended SHOT this year for the third year in a row. Of interest (to me), waaaaay more suppressors evident from a lot of different manufacturers- almost like they're expecting some legislation to pass this year?

The sheen seems to have come off OSS a bit, both on price (high), weight (very high), and safety (self-disassembly: its a feature, not a bug!). 

From the chatter, in 2017 I'd expect a US army solicitation for a replacement M249 (belt fed, so no M27), and a suppressor for the M240 (shot SureFire's in September '16: impressive! Clearing the gun was louder than firing it).

The Glock party on Thursday night was strangely subdued!

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Ghadrack said:

Any recommendations for a good picatinny rail compatible prone style bipod for an AR.  The cost ranges vary so dramatically, from 30 to 50 dollars US, up to several hundred bucks?

I can't recommend anything on this topic but go to ar15.com for all good things gun related.

May I suggest Atlas?  They've got a pic rail adapter, and they seem to make a pretty good bipod.  

I use an LRA bipod on my 50, but it's a bit pricier and probably overkill for an AR.

4 hours ago, Ghadrack said:

Thanks for the tip, I'll do some research on Atlas and LRA models.

I like Atlas and LRA, but at the same time, I still use Harris pic rail adapters for a few of my long range/precision rigs:

P6035461.JPG

Edited by peter

News article in the local paper here in Tennesee two days ago. Our state legislators have put forward a bill to negate the need for a tax stamp for silencers and to open them up for any legal gun owner at retail.

It was put forward as a health issue for hunters.  Since guns are loud and can damage hearing and hunters need their senses, they indicate it makes sense to allow sound suppression.  Next few years might be interesting times in the U.S. 

5 hours ago, Ghadrack said:

News article in the local paper here in Tennesee two days ago. Our state legislators have put forward a bill to negate the need for a tax stamp for silencers and to open them up for any legal gun owner at retail.

It was put forward as a health issue for hunters.  Since guns are loud and can damage hearing and hunters need their senses, they indicate it makes sense to allow sound suppression.  Next few years might be interesting times in the U.S. 

Interesting... I wonder how the ATF real react or if at all with the new administration? There are many signs from the ATF and proposed legislation that suppressors will no longer be considered NFA or at the least far easier to purchase without the ATF background check.

There's a petition going around in Canada for the legal use of sound suppressors, but with that jackass Trudeau in the PM's seat, it will probably go no where.  Signed anyway, but not holding my breath.

My Agency will finally transition to the Glock. My issue 5906 will make 20 years in April.  About time.    Need to pick a new backup/off duty Glock to replace my 3913.  Going back and forth between the 26 and 43.  Have yet to shoot a 43, but it does feel much slimmer than the chunky baby Glock.

Which Glock is your department switching to?  Assuming the 17 since you are thinking 26/43. 

Went through something similar. 

We currently issue the 31. I started with the 33 as my backup/off duty. Made sense on duty since if my duty gun went down, the 33 can use the magazines on my duty belt. The 26/19 will do this for you but the 43 will not .

Off duty the 33 was nice. I can pocket carry it with an appropriate holster that covers the trigger. Then one day I had to draw it against four guys in a car. Ten rounds didn't seem like enough. So after that I went and bought a 32. 

I used to have a Kahr CM9 and a S&W Shield in 9mm. Both were slim single stack 9mms. I sold both when I got divorced and haven't felt a need to go back to a small carry gun so I never looked at the 43. I pretty much can conceal most guns. Sometimes I carry just my Glock 21 off duty but most times I am carrying the 32 and 33 at the same time. 

Also I always tell people they should at least own a Glock 19. :)

But to be honest here, I am waiting to see what gen5 brings. If nothing is forthcoming I will be buying two gen4 32s and getting the fingerhumpthings removed to replace my gen3 32 and gen3 33. 

Edited by Chowser
5 hours ago, Chowser said:

Which Glock is your department switching to?  Assuming the 17 since you are thinking 26/43. 

Yes, they are going with the 17 since we have so much 9mm ammo.  Our SRT will stick with .40s though.  

Yeah, the  26 using the full size mags is the only real reason I am thinking of the 26, and the slim single stack's thinness is the only reason I am thinking of that one.  I used to carry a 6906 but just wound up being too heavy in the shorts and t shirt climate here. ;)

That said, if I do wind up with the 43, I'd get a Taran Tactical +1 baseplate and a +2 for the backup mag on me.  There used to be a time where I would always take more rounds, but I am in an Admin position most of the time now so I tend to carry lighter nowadays.   I get the feeling whichever one I pick up, I will wish for the other since they both have features I want.  :D

Edited by Gaijin

My PAL Came in the post! 

*happy dance*

On 02/03/2017 at 7:15 PM, slide said:

My PAL Came in the post! 

*happy dance*

Hey, congrats!!!  What are you going to buy first?

9 hours ago, peter said:

Hey, congrats!!!  What are you going to buy first?

first new purchase? probably an SKS

that and whatever norinco calls their M-14 are the top of my list.

However, the first step is pick up my K98 and Moss500A from my dad's place. the K98 needs to be re-stocked [previous to it coming into my family it was cut-down to a sporting stock], and the moss is going to get the Magpul stock/pump replacements. she's old, loose and uncomfortable... I may even see about trading her in on a newer/better scatter-gun.

SKSs are good because ammo is cheap.  The Norc M14s are fun too, I have two of these, but trying to squeeze any accuracy or precision out of either of these two rifles will drive you mad.  

I'm not worried about long ranges, more practicing the fundamentals without breaking the bank.

My local shop has a Tokarev TT clone that's calling my name too...

For cheap fun plinking, I started with a Norc AR, but Norc 5.56 was cheap at the time and readily available....now, not so much.

Canada Ammo is bringing in US made ARs for $700 CAD, might want to keep an eye out for that.  Plus they have 1911s for about $300 CAD

Edited by peter

I was Kinda hoping to build my own AR some day... we can do that up here, right?

20 hours ago, slide said:

I was Kinda hoping to build my own AR some day... we can do that up here, right?

Oh, definitely.  

P1243912.JPG

P1243907.JPG

I assembled all of these from a pile of parts except for the one on the far left.  The one on the far right was assembled with a Colt LE6920 lower, but the trigger and some other miscellaneous small parts have been swapped.  The middle three were literally slapped together from stripped receivers.

It can be really aggravating and really rewarding all at the same time, lol!

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Well I'm fully aroused now....:lol::lol:

When someone says that online, that a certain subject is arousing, you don't give it much thought or weight.  I’ve often posted how sexy a gun looks or something to that effect. 

To see someone actually get aroused by the subject in real life is something truly eye-opening.   

Last week, someone contacted me through a professional networking site with questions about employment opportunities.  I agreed to meet up for an informal discussion and she turned out to be a cute Japanese girl.  

The conversation was extremely professional overall, she asked a lot of good questions, and took a lot of notes but things got interesting when I started to talk about firearms training.  Her eyes lit up, her breathing became deeper, she smiled a lot more, the tone of her skin took on a reddish hue, there were times when her eyelids fluttered and she gave me this sultry, come-hither look.  Also, the tone of her speech made it clear that she was very excited about the subject.

I $hit you not, she was aroused by the talk of operating firearms.  When the conversation shifted to something else, her demeanor changed and she resumed her previous state of professionalism.  I thought maybe I was imagining this, so I started talking about additional training later on and she was clearly aroused again. 

Of the hundreds of interviews I’ve conducted in my life, all the info sessions I've presented, I’d never seen anything like it.  On a professional level, I'd have some concerns about her working near firearms without a complete psyche exam to make sure she has all her marbles.  On a personal level, holy fuk, that's what every man needs - a partner who's also a gun nut.  Too bad I don't have a say in who gets hired, lol!

Edited by peter
2 hours ago, Gaijin said:

You guys have really never seen this happen before? 

I've witnessed it, but for Blades, not firearms.

On 3/8/2017 at 3:05 PM, peter said:

P1243907.JPG

That C7 tho... where does one acquire the front-sight Tri-rail mount?

13 hours ago, Gaijin said:

You guys have really never seen this happen before? 

I saw it once in a James Bond film....Xenia Onatopp, but that's about it.