Or have a friend that knows how to buy and sell firearms/ammo, when he got me a opened case that had 500 left about 3 years ago he only charged me 30 bucks since I was a good friend so I got it at what he paid for.

seems like the inland north west is not a good place to sell 7.62mm ammo since you see how low I sold my spare ammo and that took weeks to find buyers.

I know hundreds of people starving for 7.62 ammo right now. If anyone has any for sale go to AR15.com and post it... or post links to it. It will vanish like Hoffa. I don't doubt that there is still some ammo out there at reasonable prices but it all vanishes quickly or turns into a "bait and switch". Cabelas and Sportsman's Guide have been accused of that lately... saying they have it in stock for a certain price and then after you order they tell you it's not in stock and the price is much more.

I take it that THIS is what you guys all are looking for? If I ever get around to buying an SKS, I'll buy a crate of it and think of you all whenever I shoot it. :p

Ammoman.com has quite a bit of ammo for sale. And they are even selling American made 7.62x39 made by Federal. You can get a 1000 round case of Wolf ammo for around $179 with free shipping, and they do deliver fast.

I personally have a bad history with Ammoman. They overcharged me for the two orders I placed with them then refused to refund the difference. From what I have heard this is "uncommon" for them but it was enough to put me off of them for good.

It would appear however that the current ammo crush is either waining, retailers are finally starting to restock or people online are blowing this out of proportion. I personally have not been able to find this ammo locally or at reasonable prices locally for quite some time and from reading other people's troubles on AR15.com it lead me to believe this ammo shortage was quite far reaching.

There's some pictures of Mexico's new G36 clone floating around the net. Maybe they'll make a civilian legal version, so we can all stick it to H&K.

dsc02739xko4.jpg

A question to all yall AR owners. I recently took the plunge and bought an RRA AR-15. I was wondering if yall have any suggestions for a good Picatinny rail dot system to add to my new baby. Thanks in advance.

I have a question for you pistol nuts.

How durable and reliable is the H&K USP .45? I've had the luck of shooting one before and loved it to the point that it replaced the 1911 as my favorite handgun. But I wanted to know its reputation, and how it stood in relation to other automatics, especially in the .45cal range.

A question to all yall AR owners. I recently took the plunge and bought an RRA AR-15. I was wondering if yall have any suggestions for a good Picatinny rail dot system to add to my new baby. Thanks in advance.

How much do you want to spend? And are you looking for something that co-witnesses with iron sights or just some sort of snap-on point sight?

I have a question for you pistol nuts.

How durable and reliable is the H&K USP .45? I've had the luck of shooting one before and loved it to the point that it replaced the 1911 as my favorite handgun. But I wanted to know its reputation, and how it stood in relation to other automatics, especially in the .45cal range.

I own a H&K USP .45 and have had it about three years now. I have never had a problem with it, and really love it. As far as reliabilty goes, I've never had an issue with it jamming or not firing. I've even taken it to the field with me where it would get dirty and it operated normally. Part of H&K's development process on the pistol included firing it under extreme conditions where sea water, mud, and freezing conditions would be present. The only problem I have ever heard about the pistol is the combination safety and decocking lever, which some competition shooters say they have had problems with. However, I like the design, and since my hands are big and beefy (a plus for handling one of these) I've never had trouble. In fact, the old fogeys that I compete with all own 1911's and make fun of my USP, but I have outshot a lot of them with it. If you are wanting to buy one of these pistols, I'd say go for it. I have been very happy with mine. Just keep in mind that they can be uber expensive depending on what configuration type you want.

Well, if you have the A3 upper, you can get the same type of red dot sight configuration I have, which you can see if you go to the top of the page where my M4 is. I basically used the RRA Dominator mount which was specifically designed for the EOTech sight I wanted. All around, it cost me about $500. There were some who said that there were issues with the mount, but I have never had a problem with it.

I own a H&K USP .45 and have had it about three years now. I have never had a problem with it, and really love it. As far as reliabilty goes, I've never had an issue with it jamming or not firing. I've even taken it to the field with me where it would get dirty and it operated normally. Part of H&K's development process on the pistol included firing it under extreme conditions where sea water, mud, and freezing conditions would be present. The only problem I have ever heard about the pistol is the combination safety and decocking lever, which some competition shooters say they have had problems with. However, I like the design, and since my hands are big and beefy (a plus for handling one of these) I've never had trouble. In fact, the old fogeys that I compete with all own 1911's and make fun of my USP, but I have outshot a lot of them with it. If you are wanting to buy one of these pistols, I'd say go for it. I have been very happy with mine. Just keep in mind that they can be uber expensive depending on what configuration type you want.

I own a H&K USP .40 - I let my friend shoot it this evening, and he had a FTF. It seemed that the gun just really didn't like Remington Golden Saber JHPs, though, since everything else I've shot through it has worked fine (WWB FMJ, WinClean FMJ, S&B FMJ, Remington FMJ, Winchester SXT). The golden sabers do have a slightly different shape to them that seemed to possibly be the cause.

As for the AR sights - I'm currently debating Aimpoint vs. EOTech. One of my good friends loves EOTechs, the other Aimpoints; and a third likes both, but prefers Aimpoints. I myself have used both, but not enough to decide yet... too bad I can't afford to just get both.

Also with regards to ARs - I'm out to pick up my RRA lower tomorrow (finally arrived), and ordered a complete LMT upper yesterday. Now to decide between a VLTOR and Magpul's new CTR...

Thanks for the info Noriko and Fokker. :)

I had a good vibe from the USP I shot. I was thinking of getting a variant 1 H&K USP .45 sometime down the line. DA/SA with safety/decoking lever on the left side.

Somebody stop me. Just as I'm preparing to embark on my odyssey to replicate the "Punisher" 1911, I'm already looking ahead to the next project. Sticking to a similar theme, I'm considering making an ubercombat 1911, built around one of these carry comps:

comp6big.jpg

You start with one full length gov't model 1911, bob the slide back to commander length, then comp it back to the full 5". Any opinions, or can somebody at least recommend some sort of treatment or therapy for me?

yikes, whiers the bushing, how do you get it apart?

yikes, whiers the bushing, how do you get it apart?

There's no bushing. It uses what's called a "coned" comp, which in fucntion is just like a bull barrel. The barrel is wider in diameter than stock and fills up the area where the bushing would normally sit. The recoil plus is swapped for a reverse plug, with lugs that ride in the rear of the lower end of the slide. Disassembly is only a little different, as I believe you'd start by removing the slide stop and pulling the slide off of the frame. the guide rod holds everything together, so you don't have 16lbs of recoil spring flying across the room.

Got news today at my gun club's September Garand shoot from my buddy that my paperwork cleared for me to get my AK. Woo-hoo! I'll post some pictures as soon as I can so you can see it. Also, one of the guys at the range today has one of the Fabrique Nationale FS2000 rifles and showed it off to everybody today. All I can say is that I was impressed with it enough to want one for myself, although I ain't spending $2800 for one. The guy did mention that he had to send it back because of a recall issue. Something to do with the firing pin not reacting well with the primers on civilian ammo. Other than that no problems. I really wish I had my camera today. He let a couple of the guys fire it and they were okay with it. I wanted to shoot it, but I didn't know him well enough to ask. Anyone else see this thing in action?

Got news today at my gun club's September Garand shoot from my buddy that my paperwork cleared for me to get my AK. Woo-hoo! I'll post some pictures as soon as I can so you can see it. Also, one of the guys at the range today has one of the Fabrique Nationale FS2000 rifles and showed it off to everybody today. All I can say is that I was impressed with it enough to want one for myself, although I ain't spending $2800 for one. The guy did mention that he had to send it back because of a recall issue. Something to do with the firing pin not reacting well with the primers on civilian ammo. Other than that no problems. I really wish I had my camera today. He let a couple of the guys fire it and they were okay with it. I wanted to shoot it, but I didn't know him well enough to ask. Anyone else see this thing in action?

Someone in my Dept. ordered one for their "play" gun. Haven't seen it yet.

I just put in an order for a Colt 6920 since we're only allowed Colt branded AR's. :angry:

I've handed several, both FS and F at a FN Rep shoot at a local place called CMMG here in Missouri. I have my black FS2000 on order... well more like on wait, from them. The recall was mostly because FN used the full auto F series hammer pack in the FS (which has slight design differences from the F) which causes light primer strikes. Only the first few thousand made suffer from that problem, all of them being built now have been corrected.

Oh and $2800? Yeeeeeeeouch. I hope you get a kiss with that for that price. :ph34r: The black one I have on wait is only going to cost me $2100, and that is for the uber rare limited black stock. If you are going to buy, check around for someone who is not trying to make his house payment off of one sale.

I was looking into getting a SOCOM II which is Springfield’s “commando†version of the M1A — basically the M14 or an enhanced M1 Garand — however I live in California and their gun laws are very strict so I’m going to hold off until I move. I’d really like to get Troy Industries’ SOPMOD body kit for it but to my understanding it is limited to military personnel for official duties.

Those Troy stocks are not regulated, you can buy them on the civilian market. Even if the company says they will "only sell to LEO and military" as long as the item they are selling is not controlled technology (like some sort of cuise missle computer) or covered by the NFA laws (post 1986 machine gun) there is nothing preventing you as a civilian from buying and using it. They may not sell directly to you from their personal store (which is their personal perogative) but there are most likely tons of private stocking dealers that would sell to you.

JsARCLIGHT (or anyone else), have you ever handled or used a HK416? I recently read about it on HKPRO, but considering it's a site dedicated to HK, I wondered how it compared to other AR-15/M16 rifles from a less HK biased source.

addition: Ah, I see, about the HK416. Well, I'll look forward to hearing how the assembled AR with Predator upper receiver works. :)

Edited by Sumdumgai

Never seen one in person nor handled one... they are out there, but they are still quite rare. Add to that that they are LEO/MIL only restricted weapons means unless the local SLCPD or one of my dealer friends who has a SOT or demo letter order one I will never see one.

For what it's worth though the HK416 is one of the new short stroke piston AR varients, it is not "gas recoil operated" like a traditional AR. The piston system should allow this varient (and all other piston varients) to be more reliable and suffer from powder fouling less. There are a lot of companies starting to produce gas piston upper receivers for ARs now, I have a P-415-11-P4X-SF Predator 11.5" upper on order from POF waiting on my Form 1 to clear. I can let you know how that one shoots when it gets assembled... that will be as close to the HK as I can get in the near future.

My new AR has a chrome/moly barrel. is it going to be more likely to wear down or collect fouling?

Blah blah blah...weren't you supposed to be posting pictures of some sort of Lee Enfield, hmm? :p

Blah blah blah...weren't you supposed to be posting pictures of some sort of Lee Enfield, hmm? :p

Oh crap, i forgot about that. I'll take pics of her when i get back to San Antonio. I'm at school in College Station right now...sorry about the long delay!!

My new AR has a chrome/moly barrel. is it going to be more likely to wear down or collect fouling?

Chrome moly is the most common AR barrel material, it will wear at a regular pace depending on good maintenance and use. Powder fouling is somewhat dependent on how much shooting you do and what ammo quality you use, but Chrome moly will not foul any better or worse than another barrel type, say stainless steel. The secondary feature to look for is a chrome plated chamber, this will extend the life of the barrel and ease cleaning greatly. Some AR rifles still do not come with this feature to save money in their production, and in all truth you don't really "need" it for a target / sports rifle. But the thing on an AR that fouls quickly and causes you problems most commonly is the gas tube system. A fouled gas system will jam that AR faster than a fouled barrel.

When it comes to barrel materials generaly the thing people look at is heat performance. A Chrome moly barrel handles heat fairly well and will maintain it's basic accuracy over it's temperature range. Competition shooters favor stainless steel barrels because they hold better accuracy from warm-up to hot, but they can suffer accuracy losses as they cool down.

I hadn't posted in this thread yet, but anyway here's some pics of some of my builds.

Bushmaster M4 Type

I love this one, it's sweet.

DSCF10544.jpg

DSCF1052222.jpg

DSCF1053333.jpg

870P

Custom I built, lots of features and light weight.

DSCF10311.jpg

DSCF101666.jpg

DSCF102222.jpg

DSCF21141.jpg

1977 Colt Combat Commander

She may look a little worn, but she functions flawlessly. Complete rebuild with all Wilson Combat parts.

Comm_02244.jpg

Nice Commander! (Loves all 1911's.)

Edited by Gaijin

Hey RD, how do you like that ACE Clubfoot you have on your M4gery? I need a stock for my upcomming piston upper SBR and I'm torn between an ACE clubby or one of those Magpul M93B's.

Thanks Gaijin. It's my personal favorite and it's always the most accurate and reliable for me.

The Ace stock is cool, I like it. No complaints what so ever. It's the 2006 model and very solid especially the locking mechanism and the gusset that locks it to the receiver. I also like the way it looks and the fact that it is metal, but still the same weight as stock. Supposedly the M93B is tougher against breakage and malfunction, but I don't see how you could break that Ace stock unless you really tried to. Although I will probably get an M93B for my next AR, but it's a tough call. You'll probably be happy with either.

Was shooting a friend of mine's AR the other day with the ACE stock - not quite my thing personally, but sill a great stock overall. I'll post pics of my AR build-up once it's done - just basically waiting on parts now... decided to take the plunge and go with the new CTR stock; everybody is saying good things about them, and Magpul makes good stuff, plus it looks like it will be fairly comfortable for me. Just have to wait and see, though.

Life imitating art or art imitating life... This is a message board dedicated to Macross in which we have a thread about weapons... and THIS is a firearms board that has a thread about Macross.

Macross invades AR15.com.

Any ARFcommers here should chime in to be counted. I already gave them a link to the main site to see if we can recruit some more gun toting Macross fans. :ph34r::p

Cdr Fokker and I are already there, who else?