In a short answer, no.

The true AR15 is banned under california legislation and the only ones in private hands inside the state right now are "grandfathered" because they where registered back before the current laws went into place.

What you CAN do is build either an inboard mag version or a single shot neutered version. There are a few companies who make "Cali Legal" AR lowers such as the FAB series and the new Bushmaster rifles which have a perminent inboard 10 round magazine which allows you to build up a rifle any way you want... only you have to virtually take the thing apart to reload it. Outside of doing that you can neuter the gas system and effectively make the rifle single shot, meaning it will still take detatchable magazines but you must manually cycle the system after each shot like a bolt action rifle.

Both are Cali legal but neither are true AR15 rifles. Also keep in mind that anything above a 10 round magazine is also quite rare and restricted in Cali. If you really want a true AR15 on the west coast you pretty much have to move out of California.

Hey, JsARCLIGHT, being the resident M16/AR15 expert,

you ever use this stuff:

M862 Short Range Training Ammunition The M862 Short Range Training Ammunition (SRTA) provides a realistic training alternative to M193/M855 service rounds. With a maximum range of 250 meters, the "plastic practice" round has an effective range of 25 meters, but requires the M2 Training Bolt when used in the M16A2 Rifle.

or know of anyone that uses it?

We were thinking of buying one M2 training bolt and using just the one rifle to do training on the range, we're hoping that this round doesn't tear up our backstop as bad as our regular ammo (Federal TRU 55 gr. soft point)

----------

oh, and my new gun finally arrived...only took 4 months.

p10002208cr.jpg

Hey, JsARCLIGHT, being the resident M16/AR15 expert,

you ever use this stuff:

M862 Short Range Training Ammunition The M862 Short Range Training Ammunition (SRTA) provides a realistic training alternative to M193/M855 service rounds. With a maximum range of 250 meters, the "plastic practice" round has an effective range of 25 meters, but requires the M2 Training Bolt when used in the M16A2 Rifle.

I've never used any low power ammo, nor with my time with the SLCPD. They have a few of those Simunition FX weapons that the ERT team trains with. They really only train with the Simunition stuff rarely, instead they rely on simple blanks and BFA's. The SLCPD ERT training SOP calls for full power rounds to be used as much as possible to best acclimate the guys to the normal weapon response they will have in the field. Then the Simunition stuff is only used for "Cardboard City" and the close support hogan's alley stuff, even then just to indicate hits.

We were thinking of buying one M2 training bolt and using just the one rifle to do training on the range, we're hoping that this round doesn't tear up our backstop as bad as our regular ammo (Federal TRU 55 gr. soft point)

I would have to say if you think it will benefit your training regemen then by all means try it. You never know until you try something. A while back our guys bought a few boxes of airsoft things to use as practical props for "role play" arrests and they broke the hell out of them in the first day... but they would not have known if they had not got them and tried (or learned why rubber ducks are so wonderful).

Do you guys currently do any "Cardboard City" blanks training? What exact purpose do you see these low power rounds serving outside of basic target practice/acumen training?

has anyone fired the Springfield Armory XD 45? I'm interested in it since it holds 13+1, and its available in .45. I really liked SA's GI 1911, and I wanted to see what the XD was like.

In a short answer, no.

The true AR15 is banned under california legislation and the only ones in private hands inside the state right now are "grandfathered" because they where registered back before the current laws went into place.

What you CAN do is build either an inboard mag version or a single shot neutered version. There are a few companies who make "Cali Legal" AR lowers such as the FAB series and the new Bushmaster rifles which have a perminent inboard 10 round magazine which allows you to build up a rifle any way you want... only you have to virtually take the thing apart to reload it. Outside of doing that you can neuter the gas system and effectively make the rifle single shot, meaning it will still take detatchable magazines but you must manually cycle the system after each shot like a bolt action rifle.

Both are Cali legal but neither are true AR15 rifles. Also keep in mind that anything above a 10 round magazine is also quite rare and restricted in Cali. If you really want a true AR15 on the west coast you pretty much have to move out of California.

405627[/snapback]

Ah jeez, I was afraid of that :(

has anyone fired the Springfield Armory XD 45? I'm interested in it since it holds 13+1, and its available in .45. I really liked SA's GI 1911, and I wanted to see what the XD was like.

405711[/snapback]

Not a bad gun for something made in Croatia. Price is not too shabby too. Nevr shot the .45 yet but tried the 9's...they were ok.

I would have to say if you think it will benefit your training regemen then by all means try it. You never know until you try something. A while back our guys bought a few boxes of airsoft things to use as practical props for "role play" arrests and they broke the hell out of them in the first day... but they would not have known if they had not got them and tried (or learned why rubber ducks are so wonderful).

Do you guys currently do any "Cardboard City" blanks training? What exact purpose do you see these low power rounds serving outside of basic target practice/acumen training?

405659[/snapback]

We were told to find someway to shoot indoors without tearing our backstop up or drive over an hour to an outdoor range, so we were debating doing the SRTA rounds. Instead of training only once a year (when we do go out to the outdoor range), we can do monthly training by using these.

We bought some airsoft stuff last year, we mainly used them for our force on force training where we role play. They are starting to break from the abuse we put them through. We don't give the guys an extra mag, but they try to reload anyways, they drop the mag, it breaks when it hits the ground, and they reach for non-existent magazines :)

We have one blank gun and that's the one we use only to start the roleplaying officers off that someone is shooting since the airsofts don't make that much noise.

Other than that, the rest of our training is with live ammo. We are trying to start having two officers on the range at a time shooting, practicing cover, etc. but some of the old timers won't take part in it because for the past 20 years, they have always shot alone on the range. ok, whatever. when someone starts shooting on a call, we'll all just leave the area and let you handle it yourself.

oh, we're stuck with those vietnam era M16s. We had half of them go bad, they would fire one round when you release the trigger, one of them actually went full-auto when i released the trigger. all new springs, they seem to be working fine. i'm looking into trading in all 7 of them for 3 or 4 new ones. whom would you recommend? This is assuming our contract with the gov't allows us to trade these in.

our dealer can get us:

Bushmaster

DPMS

Armalite

Rocky River Arms

Any of those makes are decent, go with whichever ones you can get in the configuration you want for the best cost.

As for your old rifles, if I remember right wheren't they converted to semi only? Is there a ton of play in the pins?

405659[/snapback]

We were told to find someway to shoot indoors without tearing our backstop up or drive over an hour to an outdoor range, so we were debating doing the SRTA rounds. Instead of training only once a year (when we do go out to the outdoor range), we can do monthly training by using these.

We bought some airsoft stuff last year, we mainly used them for our force on force training where we role play. They are starting to break from the abuse we put them through. We don't give the guys an extra mag, but they try to reload anyways, they drop the mag, it breaks when it hits the ground, and they reach for non-existent magazines :)

We have one blank gun and that's the one we use only to start the roleplaying officers off that someone is shooting since the airsofts don't make that much noise.

Other than that, the rest of our training is with live ammo. We are trying to start having two officers on the range at a time shooting, practicing cover, etc. but some of the old timers won't take part in it because for the past 20 years, they have always shot alone on the range. ok, whatever. when someone starts shooting on a call, we'll all just leave the area and let you handle it yourself.

oh, we're stuck with those vietnam era M16s. We had half of them go bad, they would fire one round when you release the trigger, one of them actually went full-auto when i released the trigger. all new springs, they seem to be working fine. i'm looking into trading in all 7 of them for 3 or 4 new ones. whom would you recommend? This is assuming our contract with the gov't allows us to trade these in.

our dealer can get us:

Bushmaster

DPMS

Armalite

Rocky River Arms

405869[/snapback]

At least you guys have an outdoor range...we need to use the National Guard's ranges. Our indoor range has a whopping 4 lanes of which 3 are non operational. Poor county, poor Dept. No monies for equipment or training facilities. :(

there was a lot of play, but after the "misfire?" incidents, I opened them up and broken springs fell out.

we still have all the original full-auto stuff to put back in when/if we decide to get rid of them.

and our outdoor range, we have to rent and try to get everyone there in a 16 hour day, alot of overtime is paid that day, so i don't see it lasting much longer.

our indoor range has 5 stalls, maximum distance, 71 feet. none of the target hangers work by electronic control anymore, you have to physically move them back and forth if you want to set up different targets. The sewer backs up into the range, ewww, this happened two weeks ago, alot of toilet paper and other stuff to clean up, thankfully, i was away at a two week school.

there was a lot of play, but after the "misfire?" incidents, I opened them up and broken springs fell out.

we still have all the original full-auto stuff to put back in when/if we decide to get rid of them.

Do you know which springs those where that fell out? With the semi fire control parts in do the weapons still have the sear and the sear roll pin installed (that is important and may have lead to the malfunction)?

Generally with semi fire control parts and no sear an AR will almost never "run away" on you like that unless it had a frozen firing pin in conjunction with a broken disconnector spring. Without both of those things going wrong most ARs will not do a runaway slam fire.

I'm about as close as you can get to an AR gunsmith so if you need help take some pictures and email them to me and I can try and diagnose the problem. I'd say if those weapons lower receivers are in good shape you should hang onto them. Gut them, rebuild the lowers with new fire control parts with anti-walk pins and perhaps get new uppers. It's too bad I'm not in your city or I could show your armorer how to do it one evening, it's not that hard. As long as the lower recevier's pin holes have not erroded those weapons are still completely serviceable.

I bet its just one spring that broke, I know what it is but I cant remember the name of it. It seems real common on ar since this happen before with mine and my friends bushmaster did the same (his was worst since it wouldn't fire anymore and mine was so minor that it still works just in case I went to a gun show and bought 2 of those springs since you can only buy the kit to replace the spring)

If you need real help, go to ar15.com I lurk there alot and it has great info.

edit: remember the name its the disconnect spring.

Edited by Zentrandude

There are only three springs in an AR semiauto fire control system, the trigger spring, recoil buffer and the disconnector spring. If he broke a trigger spring the system would have failed and locked up, same goes for the main recoil spring.

Anyone know where to buy a low-priced laser sight for a glock 22?

Not low price but Crimson Trace grips are the best I've ever used. They have a Glock version now (admittedly I haven't tried the Glock one).

Something under $100, I saw the grip lasers but I'm actually looking for the ones you can mount either under the muzzle or in front of the trigger guard.

Those cheap 20 dollar airsoft ones should be surfice. being in pistols you don't need to be very accurate and long range like some of the overkill green laser ones. If you want to spend alot you can get those that replace the slide lock.

glockcat_002.jpg

cat laser great but over 130

Edited by Zentrandude

Is this for duty use or just for s#its and grins?

Duty use you should really spring the extra ducats for one of those guide rod lasers they make for Glocks. I have one in my G27 carry and it works well enough.

However if this is just for puttering around at the range try going to CDNN's web site and getting one of their cheap clamp-on lasers. It's cheap, it clamps on and it's a laser. Factory fit lasers for Glock are not cheap and will run you a few bills... but in the end aside from ergonomics and added durability most factory and high priced lasers are not much more "worth it" above a cheap one. While the lasers that ARE worth the upgrade generally cost as much if not more than the pistol you plan to put them on. About the only factory laser I've owned that was cheap and fun was the one on my Walther P22... great little laser. Makes that tiny thing more fun rather than being simply another goofy electronic add-on.

The one that replaces the guide rod is the Lasermax, cheapest I've seen them for is around $270+shipping, which brings it close to $300 because the one place charges shipping by cost, and not by weight. I argued that I wasn't going to pay $25 for a box that weighs less than a pound and I was giving them 8 orders to boot.

Anyone know where to buy a low-priced laser sight for a glock 22?

410287[/snapback]

I was looking around ebay and i found this one.

its used

ebay link

k i just found What i want. didnt know they had drum mags for glocks.

link

Edited by Zentrandude

Now that I've found the "proper" restarted thread...

I'm currently planning out my first AR-15 build - currently the only things I have "set" are a RRA lower (which I'll have within a week), a Magpul MIAD grip, and these general specs:

- 16" M4-profile barrel

- Flat-top upper (A3/A4)

- Collapsible stock (probably a VLTOR standard carbine modstock, open to options, though)

I've got a number of recommendations from a few AR-knowledgeable friends - any comments/suggestions/recommendations from those here with ARs to add to my list of things to consider?

The key points I'm trying to decide at the moment are:

1) Whether to go with a complete upper, or get a barrel, stripped upper, etc and build it as well

2) What manufacturers and dealers to go with for the LPK and upper

3) Ideas on sight setup. My current thoughts are to go with a standard FSB with an EOTech as the standard sight/optic co-witness, with a flip-up style backup rear sight.

This will mainly be a "fun" rifle, but is also intended to be possibly used in some form of competition (not too serious, though), and of course any necessary "tactical" applications which may be necessary. ;)

Any thoughts?

I've built far too many AR's myself and here are some tips from my personal experience:

- When it comes to furniture see if you can "feel before you buy", as in go to a gun shop or gun show and handle an AR with the furniture you want to put on yours. Sometimes all these newfangled stocks and grips look really cool in a picture on the internet but in reality they may not feel comfortable to you. After all, your rifle be it for sport, hobby or duty has to feel comfortable to handle and shoot otherwise you will not like it that much.

- If you are a novice builder, buy a completely assembled upper receiver. Special tools are needed and some experience to propperly install a barrel and a gas tube. A lower is much easier to assemble than a barrelled upper.

- LPKs are best when bought "brand name". I know people who cheaped out and bought blank label LPKs off of Gunbroker only to have springs bend or break and important parts like the trigger and selector warp. The rumor around town is that "all LPKs are the same and the big boys simply buy the same parts as everyone else"... that is not completely true. Go with a good RRA, Bushy or DPMS kit.

- As for your sights, have you shot an Eotech or other "both eyes open" combat sight before? Some folks new to those sights and Acogs sometimes have a hard time using them... plus they are not cheap for what they do. Also consider your sight radius with what kind of shooting you plan to do. The shorter sight radius of a carbine will not be very accurate at longer ranges without compensation. I myself dislike "combat optics"... sure they are neat and all but iron sights are the way to learn and the way to run. But that is just my opinion...

One thing I noticed in service were all the extra accessories on rifles.

Doesn't all that stuff add weight? It's one thing to replace parts, but I see some buildups that have oodles upon oodles of accessories. I'm thinking it adds alot of extra weight to the weapon.

I dunno. I'm a stock, "out of the box" user with my firearms. I didn't get accessories for my personally owned ones, and as a Non-Infantry MOS Marine, I have NEVER even held an M4, much less any accessorised M4/M16.

The only things I've used in my military service were M9's and plain-jane M16A2's. I've only trained and used only Iron Sights, and my confidence is very high with the M16A2, despite some nagging flaws. Wonder how much those things weight with all the extra gear...

The current SOPMOD package that most military units field does not really add all that much noticable weight to the weapon. Now, if you clamp on an M203 then yes that adds a boatanchor under your handguard... but the odds and ends that most of them add on like an Eotech, Elcan or Acog sight, a Rail system with foregrip and e a PEQ2 laser does not really weight the weapon down that much. In all truth it adds a pound or less. The real limitation is that it adds more stuff that can break. Albeit military grade optics and accessories are not fragile by any means, they still break far easier than you'd expect.

Hey, nothing's military proof!

If someone is so proud to say a product is near unbreakable, give it over to a young, junior Soldier or Marine. I guarantee they'd find a way to break it without doing it on purpose!

"Marine, how the h*** did you break this? It's also brand new! You know how long we've been waiting to get this from supply?" :angry:

"Really Staff Sergeant, it just fell apart while I was using it." :huh:

(Gazes long and hard at the PFC)

(PFC looks away)

"Umm... really. It did." :unsure:

"Yeahhh... ok." :mellow:

Even the sights of a plain 'ol M16A2 are vulnerable, IMO, to damage. Not so much the rear sights... those are solid. My complaint is the frontsight.

The "butterfly" protection on the sides of the frontsight post only protect it on the left & right. The top is wide open to anything to ding it and bend it. I've seen alot of bent front sight posts when Marines come back from training. I wondered why they don't put a protective ring around the entire front sight. The AK series and the German G3 have them.

Well, here I am again looking at old Soviet era weaponry. A friend of mine who has gotten all of his licenses and background checks and what-have-you is opening a gunshop soon in Easton, MD. He's got a crate of 4 Romanian made AK-47's that he paid about 350.00 each for. He's looking to let me snag one off of him for the same price he paid. I'm wondering if it's worth it. I've had pretty good luck with my Yugo SKS. I've already fondled the one he's going to sell me, and we fired one of the others he decided to keep for himself. For what it is, it is pretty damned dead on as far as accuracy. I'll be heading out to his place tomorrow to fill out the paperwork and wait my two weeks. Just wondered how you guys felt about this old rifle.

One thing I noticed in service were all the extra accessories on rifles. Wonder how much those things weight with all the extra gear...

I got a Bushmaster M4 variant about a year and a half ago and have since added an EOTech sight as well as a foregrip and RRA sight rail. It never really amounted to anything worth worrying about as far as weight goes. Aw hell, a little gun pron is always good to show off. This is my rifle as I have displayed it on the Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site:

edsm4.jpg

Well, here I am again looking at old Soviet era weaponry. A friend of mine who has gotten all of his licenses and background checks and what-have-you is opening a gunshop soon in Easton, MD. He's got a crate of 4 Romanian made AK-47's that he paid about 350.00 each for. He's looking to let me snag one off of him for the same price he paid. I'm wondering if it's worth it. I've had pretty good luck with my Yugo SKS. I've already fondled the one he's going to sell me, and we fired one of the others he decided to keep for himself. For what it is, it is pretty damned dead on as far as accuracy. I'll be heading out to his place tomorrow to fill out the paperwork and wait my two weeks. Just wondered how you guys felt about this old rifle.

Romanian? Sounds like WASR 10's. WASRs are decent enough... I own one. The Romanians build things pretty standard and generally they have nice chrome lined barrels. I dislike the cheap wood mine came with and swapped it all out for a brand new OD Green Kvar set. With the 'Var set on, a new slant brake, new poly mags and a few hours with some Brownell's refinishing spray it looks brand new.

Word of warning though you probably know already, 7.62 x 39 ammo is scarce right now and commanding crazy insane nutjob prices. Be prepared to spend out the ass for ammo until the price comes back down... either than or safe-queen that WASR until then.

From myk in the closed thread:

I wish I could agree, but here in 'Cali we're not allowed to wield anything more powerful than a super-soaker...

I live in Los Angeles, and I'm building a California legal AR. Just buy a stripped lower receiver and build it up.

Romanian? Sounds like WASR 10's. WASRs are decent enough... I own one. The Romanians build things pretty standard and generally they have nice chrome lined barrels. I dislike the cheap wood mine came with and swapped it all out for a brand new OD Green Kvar set. With the 'Var set on, a new slant brake, new poly mags and a few hours with some Brownell's refinishing spray it looks brand new.

Word of warning though you probably know already, 7.62 x 39 ammo is scarce right now and commanding crazy insane nutjob prices. Be prepared to spend out the ass for ammo until the price comes back down... either than or safe-queen that WASR until then.

Jeez, you'd think ammo for the AK would be easier to come by since there's so many of them, and sources to acquire them.

There's places in the world where the AK-47 is more plentiful than water!

Oh, AK ammo is out there for sale... there is just some kind of weird "ammo shortage" going on right now. Truth be told I don't think there is an actual shortage... I think the leading animal named russian ammo company who traditionally sold uber cheap (in both quality and price) ammo suddenly thinks their junk is worth the same price if not more than the quality ammo. I keep hearing people clammor about "copper prices", "fuel shortages" and all other manner of excuse but the ammo is available... it's just that the prices have near tripled. A large problem is that shooters are idiots and just keep buying ammo no matter what the price, which has kept driving the price higher. Last gun show I was at a case of 500 rounds of Wolf 7.62 which should be selling for under $70 is now selling for $200... and it is selling at that price sadly because almost no one has any on hand. And that is mostly because the maker raised their asking price so fewer and fewer dealers are stocking it.

And the biggest twist of irony is that almost every dealer at that show had stacks and stacks of AK rifles for sale. Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink it would seem.

Oh, AK ammo is out there for sale... there is just some kind of weird "ammo shortage" going on right now. Truth be told I don't think there is an actual shortage... I think the leading animal named russian ammo company who traditionally sold uber cheap (in both quality and price) ammo suddenly thinks their junk is worth the same price if not more than the quality ammo. I keep hearing people clammor about "copper prices", "fuel shortages" and all other manner of excuse but the ammo is available... it's just that the prices have near tripled. A large problem is that shooters are idiots and just keep buying ammo no matter what the price, which has kept driving the price higher. Last gun show I was at a case of 500 rounds of Wolf 7.62 which should be selling for under $70 is now selling for $200... and it is selling at that price sadly because almost no one has any on hand. And that is mostly because the maker raised their asking price so fewer and fewer dealers are stocking it.

And the biggest twist of irony is that almost every dealer at that show had stacks and stacks of AK rifles for sale. Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink it would seem.

what eww I undersold my stuff. sold 400 rounds for 40 bucks few weeks ago. oh well

Simple solution - order online! A quick search at GunBroker resulted in several reasonably-priced cases of Wolf 7.62x39mm - 1 for $150, and a bunch more for $170. (These are full 1000-round cases, BTW).

So the prices are higher than what I paid about a year ago ($155 shipped, IIRC), but still within reason.