I'm starting this one over again with a question from the other thread.

does anyone have any experience with the Taurus 24/7-45BP-12? I am thinking of getting one. the website says they are not out yet, but I have seen others in the shop and like what i see. any advice, criticism or other recommendations on the pistol would be appreciated.

Is that a Macross kit?

this topic might do better in the other anime/scifi section and not the model kit section

you are taking the right to bear arms thing too seriously... scary. then again, i'm a big gun control proponent. Not all guns, but that one sure ain't being used for huntin'

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich
  • Downvote 1

From the original long thread of the same name (perhaps one of the mods with more power or Isamu can edit his post to move this to the top), these are the rules of this thread as laid down by Mechamaniac, the original thread starter:

OK, It seems that weapons questions come up pretty frequently, and therefore, I'd like this to be a place where those that can....teach, those that can't...learn, etc.

SOME RULES

If you are anti-gun, please read only, don't hit us with tons of rhetoric. Noone is forcing you to read this.

Let's not have any talk about violence here, nor any advocations of violence.

Let's keep the thread civil, and to discussions of mechanics, or aesthetics if possible.

OK, so, that being said, this thread is for the weapons nut inside all of us...let's face it, somewhere deep down inside, we've all dreamed of strapping on an arsenal of weapons in a zip, snap, click, cha ching, movie scene, and walking out strapped with weapons, and a rippling, properly oiled torso.

This thread is also about anime, sci-fi or comic book weapons you want to talk about, Real or fake. This is a discussion topic about the mechanics, theory, design, asthetics and function of small arms and armament and should have NO POLITICAL CONTENT in it.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

- Sigmund Freud.

well, only thing about Taurus that I know of is that they have this lifetime warranty thing, so if it breaks, they'll fix it.

I bought a Taurus PT99 SS back in 1997, used it for 6 months at the Police Academy, then sold it. To my knowledge, last I checked with the guy I sold it to (around last summer), it was still working fine, being shot minimum 100 rds/month, and the guy has had no problems. He uses it as a back up at work. (He's a pretty big guy, so he can hide a gun that size).

For the short time I had my Taurus, never had a problem.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

- Sigmund Freud.

388437[/snapback]

Hahaha! Did he really say that? God I love that man.

Never owned any Taurus autos, but the Beretta clones they had were great to shoot...their wheelguns are terrific...never shot the 24/7.

My friend and I have been going skeet shooting a lot lately with his Savage. It's got me fiending for a shotty of my own. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want a shotgun for 1) home security, 2) zombie hunting if the need arises, and 3) casual skeet shooting. Are there certain brands I should stay away from? I was thinking about getting a Mossberg 500. What do you guys think?

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'"

The Mossberg 500, Remington 870 and Winchester 1300 are the GM, Ford and Chrysler of the shotgun world. You can't go wrong with any of them. Parts are quite readily available, modifications to them are quite easy and they all price out about the same. The only thing I would say is to get a 12 gauge for home defense with as short of a barrel as you can legally own in your state. Trying to swing a 24" skeet barrel around inside a house is hard. The Moss 500's barrels change out easier than the Remy or the Winnie in my opinion so you could possibly get one of those with two barrels and two stocks... a 24" choked skeet barrel and a solid buttstock and then have a speedfeed stock and a 18" home defense barrel. Leave it in home defense mode when at home and simply tool it into skeet mode when it is time to skeet.

Other shotguns on the market like the old Ithica 37 (one of my personal favorite designs) and the vast myriad of chinese knock-offs and russian kalashnikov based Saigas are good shotties as well but their lack of common parts availability (or lack of wide availability period in the case of the Ithicas today) and their difficulty to interchange parts or barrels kind of rules them out for sporting purpose use.

The only shotguns I would advise you stay far away from are the chinese bootleg shotguns. There are a lot of them flooding the market right now, they are chinese immitations of the Remy 870, the old Winchester 97 and the Ithica 37. They are all made out of cheap pot metal and plastics and will only last you a few trips to the range before they start to fall apart... plus they are knock-offs and don't accept the real parts for the real shotguns they immitate so replacing broken parts is impossible on them.

you are taking the right to bear arms thing too seriously... scary. then again, i'm a big gun control proponent. Not all guns, but that one sure ain't being used for huntin'

388425[/snapback]

Says nothing about hunting in the second amendment

Please don't persue the political angles folks. This thread exsists for info and discussion only. Politics violate the MW R&R. This thread and the one before it have admin blessing to exsist as long as we follow the rules.

Thanks for the info Js. I think I will buy that 500 after all.

You're idea of having a second shorter barrel for home defense is great; I didn't even think about that. But I live in Killafornia and we've got some brutal gun laws here so I'll have to check and see if I can even own an 18" barrel.

I want to pick this up also:

Knoxx SpecOps Stock

According to the website the stock is legal because the "assault weapon" laws specifically exclude pump shotguns (except in New York, Boston, and some parts of Virginia). Sweetness.

California must follow Federal NFA laws first and foremost which state that any shotgun with a barrel length of 18" and an overall length of 26" is legal to own. If it has a shorter barrel or a shorter overall length then it is classified as a SBS (Short Barrelled Shotgun) and requires a special Form 1 NFA permit to purchase and own, which requires a lot of hoop jumping that is usually not possible in California. California law DOES however regulate certain semiautomatic shotguns with certain features. But as long as your pump-action shotgun is longer than 26" from the tip of the barrel to the end of the stock and has a barrel that is 18" or longer it is legal under both Federal and California law to purchase and legally own inside the state.

well, only thing about Taurus that I know of is that they have this lifetime warranty thing, so if it breaks, they'll fix it.

I bought a Taurus PT99 SS back in 1997, used it for 6 months at the Police Academy, then sold it.  To my knowledge, last I checked with the guy I sold it to (around last summer), it was still working fine, being shot minimum 100 rds/month, and the guy has had no problems.  He uses it as a back up at work.  (He's a pretty big guy, so he can hide a gun that size).

For the short time I had my Taurus, never had a problem.

388442[/snapback]

I've no experience with the newer polymer frame Taurus pistols, so can't comment on them, but back in the '90s, when I was still an active IPSC shooter, one of our club members had a stainless steel Taurus PT99, that had the barrel completely break in two, just ahead of the chamber after a relatively low round count (under 5K rds IIRC). Before that it was very reliable though.

Another PT99, which our company converted to fire blanks for use as a movie rental gun, had the left side safety/decock lever break off after an 'actor' dropped it onto a concrete surface. :angry:

I've read online that the Taurus polymer frame Millenium pistol have been having some problems. Read this article.

Graham

Ah, the weapons banter thread. I've always wanted to post here. :lol:

Anyways can anybody ID this weapon:

http://i3.tinypic.com/w15nuq.jpg

http://i3.tinypic.com/w15npy.jpg

It looks suspiciously like a Beretta 92F, but the barrel's tip is a lot different. The barrel's tip is more like that of a 93R, but without the flash supressor.

Any ideas guys & gals? :D

BTW, if your curious where I got this image from. Its actually from the anime: Black lagoon. It's one of a pair that is used by the lead protagonist. :lol:

Edited by grss1982

Interesting.

I think that pistol from that anime is a homage to Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet.

In Baz' R&J all the weapons are given olde tyme names, for instance they are not called Beretta or Colt they are all called "Dagger" or "Mace". In the movie Benvolio has a 9mm Taurus PT92 (which is hard chromed and looks exactly like that image you posted) that is roll marked SWORD 9mm.

Those weapons where custom made for the movie and don't exsist in real life. You could probably have one made with a ton of custom parts and custom engraving and finishing but in the end you'd spend mountains of money on what boils down to being just a pimped out run of the mill pistol.

Aside from the "Cutlass" engraving on the slide (which as Js pointed out could be a nod to Romeo & Juliet, if not outright theft), there's nothing really special about that pistol. It's either a Beretta or a Taurus with an extended & ported barrel like one of THESE. Add on some fancy Tru Ivory grips and you're set for a life of piracy in the south China seas.

Edit: looking at the pics again, I don't think Levi even has ports on that extended barrel, which makes the extra 1/2" pretty much useless. But it looks neat.

Edited by bsu legato

Interesting.

I think that pistol from that anime is a homage to Baz Luhrman's Romeo and Juliet.

In Baz' R&J all the weapons are given olde tyme names, for instance they are not called Beretta or Colt they are all called "Dagger" or "Mace". In the movie Benvolio has a 9mm Taurus PT92 (which is hard chromed and looks exactly like that image you posted) that is roll marked SWORD 9mm.

Those weapons where custom made for the movie and don't exsist in real life. You could probably have one made with a ton of custom parts and custom engraving and finishing but in the end you'd spend mountains of money on what boils down to being just a pimped out run of the mill pistol.

392993[/snapback]

I thought the production on Luhrman's Romeo + Juliet was great, especially the guns.

I remember the "SWORD" and "DAGGER" but was there a "MACE"?

There was also an MP5 marked "LONGSWORD".

CAPULET: What noise is this? Give me my longsword, ho!

Funny stuff.

I've seen production stills of the custom firearms made for Baz' R&J, there where so many of them made under different names that just about every medieval weapon you can think of was represented as a modern firearm. Albeit most of them where variants on Sword and Dagger there where some really interesting ones that you never really "saw" in the movie but where there to some degree. From what I recall from the prop photos the "Mace" was some type of police shotgun, "Halberd" was a Remington 700 looking sniper rifle, "Dirk" was a small AMT-ish backup pistol, and so on and so forth.

Baz' prop company spent thousands making those custom weapons and cars for the movie and about a year after the movie opened a lot of them went up for sale to collectors. Mercutio's car sold for well over $30K and the infamous hero prop "Sword 9mm type S" (that had the fancy camera zoom in on the scroll name) that Benvolio had sold for like $12,000 if I remember right.

I know that this thread is about sci-fi guns as well and I didn't have the chance to post a list of my favorite guns from movies and they are:

Robocop's pistol

M1-41A Pulse Rifle from Aliens

Plasma Rifle's of Endoskeletons from T2

Those pistols those agents used in the movie "The One"

Those rifles in Starship Troopers

Those guns that chick used in Spawn

Those guns and flame throwers used in Alien Resurrection

....and that's it. :):D

Robocop's pistol: Nicely modified Desert Eagle that was

M1-41A Pulse Rifle from Aliens: Very cool rifle, you can hardly tell its a thompson

Plasma Rifle's of Endoskeletons from T2: Too bulky, not one of Camerons' best designs, would be really hard for a human to carry.

Those pistols those agents used in the movie "The One": DOn't remember them

Those rifles in Starship Troopers: Oversized way too bulky POS' that were ineffective against the enemy they were used againt

Those guns that chick used in Spawn: don't remember them

Those guns and flame throwers used in Alien Resurrection: ALien what, there was a movie called Alien Resurrection, must have blocked that out.

Edited by Knight26

Robocop's pistol actually was a Beretta 93R with a custom barrel extension and a few other parts glommed onto it to hide it's true nature. Bodiker was the one who had a Desert Eagle, which also had a custom barrel extension/suppressor that he screws in when he shoots Miguel Ferrer's character in the legs... funny though, it's impossible to suppress a Desert Eagle (too much pressure on those high caliber rounds).

The rifles from Starship Troopers, the "Fully Automatic Morita" as it was called on screen, was actually a Ruger mini 14 housed inside a aramid plastic shell (they actually used the Muzzlelite stocks with a few modifications). I have also heard rumors that the underside of the Morita had the guts of an Ithaca 37 action similair to the Aliens' Pulse rifle.

As for the pulse rifle from Aliens, I heard that it was combo of three guns.

one of them that I remembered was a WW2 era sub-machine gun, some french rifle and the other I don't remember well. I really liked the sound they make. Is that the real sound of the WW2 era sub-machine gun or was that sound artifcially made? Also Knight 26, when you say that the rifles those troops used in Starship Troopers were bulky, were you talking about the ones in ST 2? Those rifles looked ugly and were too bulky and their rate of fire was not that good. The ones in the first one looked better than what you saw in the second movie.

The Aliens pulse rifle was a combination of three weapons, a Thompson .45 M1 submachine gun (AKA a "Tommy gun"), the slide action and heat shield from a Franchi SPAS 12 shotgun and a Remington 870 shotgun action. The rest were fabricated parts. The principal photography stunt props actually shot blanks out of modified Thompson magazines. The telltale sound of the Pulse Rifle is 100% foley, it does not exsist in the real world. An actual Thompson firing real .45ACP ammo out of that short 10" barrel sounds like a wave of thunder, nothing like the piffle noises they make in the movie.

Also Knight 26, when you say that the rifles those troops used in Starship Troopers were bulky, were you talking about the ones in ST 2? Those rifles looked ugly and were too bulky and their rate of fire was not that good. The ones in the first one looked better than what you saw in the second movie.

394593[/snapback]

Not speaking for K26 but I'm pretty sure he means the Moritas from the first Starship Troopers movie with Casper Van Dien. The rifles they had in the second, straight to video movie, where large hunks of plastic made in a prop shop like the weapons in Alien Resurrection. They where not functioning props, they added all the effects from those weapons in post (which is cheaper and safer in today's movie world, even if it doesn't "look real")

IIRC, the Smart Gun from Aliens was based off the MG42, right? Both sweet guns.

Those whatchamacallsits, the Drone Guns, they set up in the hallway were also badical.

The smartgun is basically a MG42, unaltered, with a dirtbike throttle on the back and a bunch of stuff glommed onto it. It is then placed on an altered steadycam chest rig that the actors carried around. If you watch closely in the movie you can see several quick shots of a belt of blank ammo hanging out of the smartguns as they used them for the fire effects shots.

Just to get it out of the way, the other principal Aliens weapons of note are:

Lt. Gorman and Frost both carry H&K VP70 pistols, seen on film.

Hicks shotgun is a a Ithaca 37 "Stakeout" with wooden spindle forearm.

Vasquez carries a 1911A1 with pearl or ivory appearing handgrips.

The Marine Flamethrower is a prop studio creation but it uses the upper receiver from an original Armalite slab-side AR15 and the handguard from a M203 grenade launcher.

I like the pistols in equilibrium. nothing like dual auto pistols and unlimited ammo to take out an army.

Just saw the horrible 10th installment of the Friday the 13 franchise better known as Jason X the other day and I like those pistols those marines used on him. I also saw that movie Ruanway starring Tom Selleck and that rocket launcher gun that Gene Simmons used was badass!

I also didn't tell you guys my favorite sci-fi melee weapons I like but don't make fun of me for this one when I say that I liked all of the weapons from the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I liked Tommy's flute dagger and Trini's power daggers as my two favorite weapons.

I've been thinking on getting an AR-15, specifically a Stag Arms 6.8mm SPC version.

I've only bought a pistol over here in California (San Diego) and had no problems. But from what I've read, rifles are a whole slew of a legal mess.

Is the rifle I'm after even legal here in California? :huh: