Official Transformers Super Thread 3

Nice pics Zeo-Mare! I for one would love to see God Ginrai as the next THS too! He's gonna be much bigger than THS01 and 02 though but thinking of all the accesories he will get just makes me salivate.

We all know that God Ginrai (i just typed "Gundam" just now :p) is actually Powermaster Prime with an addon. But I think Ginrai isn't actually Convoy in the Masterforce anime, is he? Cause there was the "History of Convoy" book once which shows G1 Convoy up to GF Convoy, and Ginrai strangely wasn't in the list. Are they 2 different characters that happened to look alike?

Galaxy Force Soundblaster Gallery:

http://www.cosmicrust.com/toys/galaxyforce/soundblaster.php

This guy improves on just about every aspect of the original. I just got mine in the mail today in fact! But i don't think he'll be seeing the light of day until i get a worthy display case. Until then i've always got everyone else's pictures. :o

54.jpg

Edited by Veritas

Nice pics Zeo-Mare! I for one would love to see God Ginrai as the next THS too! He's gonna be much bigger than THS01 and 02 though but thinking of all the accesories he will get just makes me salivate.

We all know that God Ginrai (i just typed "Gundam" just now :p) is actually Powermaster Prime with an addon. But I think Ginrai isn't actually Convoy in the Masterforce anime, is he? Cause there was the "History of Convoy" book once which shows G1 Convoy up to GF Convoy, and Ginrai strangely wasn't in the list.  Are they 2 different characters that happened to look alike?

387770[/snapback]

Different characters. THe body was meant for Convoy but I believe he was dead at the time. So a human, Ginrai recieved/piloted it. Ginrai turned into the engine block that plugged into the cab.

We all know that God Ginrai (i just typed "Gundam" just now :p) is actually Powermaster Prime with an addon. But I think Ginrai isn't actually Convoy in the Masterforce anime, is he? Cause there was the "History of Convoy" book once which shows G1 Convoy up to GF Convoy, and Ginrai strangely wasn't in the list.  Are they 2 different characters that happened to look alike?

387770[/snapback]

Different characters. THe body was meant for Convoy but I believe he was dead at the time. So a human, Ginrai recieved/piloted it. Ginrai turned into the engine block that plugged into the cab.

387790[/snapback]

Ahhh right. THey never did explain that properly in the Masterforce English dub. I was left to wonder why "Optimus Prime" the human was left on earth when Optimus Prime the robot proceeded to fly off to cybertron......without his conciousness.

3)  TF fans are notoriously cheap simply because they have a ton of variants and figures to collect.  Most didn't touch MP Prime until he was on the $50 sales rack.  Takaratomy is not going to spend that amount of R&D for something that big if they can't recoup their losses.

387526[/snapback]

Well, Transformers as a brand, even with collector-focused lines like Masterpiece and BT/Alts, it is still overall a mass-market toy brand, so they have to keep prices at a reasonable level that non-collector consumers, and ESPECIALLY brick and motor retailers, such as Wal*mart, are willing to accept.

Different to Japan or asia were they can flog (what would be the equivalent of) $150+ collector toys to a rather small, niche market yet still turn in a profit. Hasbro just deals with a much larger market for all of its goods.

Excuse me its Convoy since its a Jap toy line  :)  it Rodimus Convoy.  You know it could be Ginrai since he was an originally an upgrade for Convoy.

387589[/snapback]

Same thing. I call them Prime and Rodimus Prime since 'Convoy' is an awkward word to use in conversational english, unless I am referring specifically to such and such japanese version.

Super Ginrai was originally Powermaster Optimus Prime, who was an upgrade to Optimus Prime. PM Prime was released before Takara reworked the tooling for their market.

They're doing Convoys because generally, Convoys, especially ones that look like G1 Prime, tend to sell well in Japan. Its generally accepted the american-created leaders (G1 Prime and Optimus Primal) are the most popular over the home-grown Autobot versions.

Still if you didn't have the original i wholeheartedly agree that you should take the extra effort to find a THS-01 Convoy over his Bigger Brothers... esp. the Cyberton Release.  :ph34r:

387682[/snapback]

Eh? I owned both Galaxy Convoy and Cybertron Prime - only difference is the crap Hasbro instructions, slightly less paint and a retooling of the small wings so they aren't held on by a pin. Same toy otherwise

This guy improves on just about every aspect of the original.  I just got mine in the mail today in fact!  But i don't think he'll be seeing the light of day until i get a worthy display case.  Until then i've always got everyone else's pictures.  :o

387782[/snapback]

You mean that black one is customised? Or can you get both off the shelves?

Edited by kensei

This guy improves on just about every aspect of the original.  I just got mine in the mail today in fact!  But i don't think he'll be seeing the light of day until i get a worthy display case.  Until then i've always got everyone else's pictures.  :o

387782[/snapback]

387951[/snapback]

SOundblaster was the upgrade to the original soundwave in G1. (more like headmasters?) It had a double cassete deck and was black in color instead of the old blue.

In this case, the black GF Soundblaster is actually a repaint of the GF Soundwave. Geddit?

Eh? I owned both Galaxy Convoy and Cybertron Prime - only difference is the crap Hasbro instructions, slightly less paint and a retooling of the small wings so they aren't held on by a pin. Same toy otherwise

387924[/snapback]

Well that right there is a difference. I own both toys as well, and my GF Convoy is still in box. The Cybertron Prime has noticably less paint than the Japanese version as the American releases almost always do, and for the price i've seen GF convoy going for lately (i read he was on clearance in Japan), i'd put up a little extra money for the GF version if i didn't already own both.

387782[/snapback]

387951[/snapback]

i believe this one you can buy off the shelf as well, i still kind of like the blue one better.

chris

387782[/snapback]

387951[/snapback]

i believe this one you can buy off the shelf as well, i still kind of like the blue one better.

chris

388007[/snapback]

Yes you can buy it off the shelves. It's a GF exclusive being put out by Toy's Dream Project. It's limited to only about 5000 or so if i remember correctly. If you want to save your money though Hasbro is apparently thinking of releasing an American version under the Cybertron line called Dark Soundwave <_<. It'll probably have less paint apps and such, but it will also probably be only about half the price, so it's give and take.

387924[/snapback]

Well that right there is a difference. I own both toys as well, and my GF Convoy is still in box. The Cybertron Prime has noticably less paint than the Japanese version as the American releases almost always do, and for the price i've seen GF convoy going for lately (i read he was on clearance in Japan), i'd put up a little extra money for the GF version if i didn't already own both.

388005[/snapback]

Ahh, well as paint goes, occassionally US versions have more paint, or in the case of most of the large Energon Autobots, more features. Some Japanocentric fans usually find a way of rationalising that in this case, less paint is better or having features gutted is better all the while paying more money.

It is confusing to deal with japanophiles.

Yes you can buy it off the shelves.  It's a GF exclusive being put out by Toy's Dream Project.  It's limited to only about 5000 or so if i remember correctly.  If you want to save your money though Hasbro is apparently thinking of releasing an American version under the Cybertron line called Dark Soundwave <_<.  It'll probably have less paint apps and such, but it will also probably be only about half the price, so it's give and take.

388027[/snapback]

The irony is that Hasbro's factories are producing Primus and Soundblaster for Takara. Primus has a Hasbro Cyber Key (number printed on back - also explains why the release date for Hasbro's Primus has been moved up) and a test shot of Soundblaster had Hasbro's 'security paint spray' so they can ID test shots. Edited by Fit For Natalie

387924[/snapback]

388005[/snapback]

Ahh, well as paint goes, occassionally US versions have more paint, or in the case of most of the large Energon Autobots, more features. Some Japanocentric fans usually find a way of rationalising that in this case, less paint is better or having features gutted is better all the while paying more money.

388338[/snapback]

I don’t understand what kind of point you’re trying to make here. First of all you point out “occasional†US releases have more paint than their Japanese counterparts. Well that seems to be more the exception and not the rule. Furthermore this isn’t one of them. As for the larger Energon bots, I never collected a single Energon figure other than the Energon Sabers so I can’t verify or deny what you’re talking about. Features being gutted out of the figures doesn’t really matter to me that much either, since I’m not actually going to be playing with my toys anyway. Plain and simple for display purposes the Japanese counterparts almost always look better. Am I willing to pay a little more because of that? Yes. More than double? No. But if you can get the Japanese figures on preorder before they become scarce you can easily land them for only a little more than their American counterparts would cost and usually (but not always) a lot quicker.

Edited by Veritas

388338[/snapback]

I don’t understand what kind of point you’re trying to make here. First of all you point out “occasional†US releases have more paint than their Japanese counterparts. Well that seems to be more the exception and not the rule. Furthermore this isn’t one of them. As for the larger Energon bots, I never collected a single Energon figure other than the Energon Sabers so I can’t verify or deny what you’re talking about. Features being gutted out of the figures doesn’t really matter to me that much either, since I’m not actually going to be playing with my toys anyway. Plain and simple for display purposes the Japanese counterparts almost always look better. Am I willing to pay a little more because of that? Yes. More than double? No. But if you can get the Japanese figures on preorder before they become scarce you can easily land them for only a little more than their American counterparts would cost and usually (but not always) a lot quicker.

388413[/snapback]

Let me explain - Occassionally, US releases have had more paint than their japanese counterparts. Japanophiles will rationalise that, in this instance, less paint on the japanese version is clearly better, even though in every other instance they lord the fact the japanese version has more paint than the US version. That is confusing.

In the Superlink series (Energon in Japan), in a cost-cutting measure, Takara gutted the electronics out of all the larger Autobot figures except for Grand Convoy (he had his speaker gutted, but not his LED) and Omega Supreme. The Decepticons retained any electronics they had in the US versions because, being bad guys, they needed all the retailing help they could get.

Japanophiles rationalised this by saying the japanese got the sweeter deal by paying more money, for less product. Regardless of wether you play with the toys or not, or wether or not you ever use the features, its not a very good thing for the consumer to bear.

So I was exchanging a lightbulb at Wal-mart this morning when in the front of the store among the easter baskets I saw/bought 2 of this.

Original color knock-offs of the Aerialbots for $10. Rawr.

post-385-1144428670_thumb.jpg

So I was exchanging a lightbulb at Wal-mart this morning when in the front of the store among the easter baskets I saw/bought 2 of this.

388701[/snapback]

Wow, they're still packing those things into Easter baskets? That's at least 3 years now that those have been available. It's funny that these G1 knock-offs have more longevity than any of the current legitimate lines. Not that I'm surprised or anything. ;)

388701[/snapback]

So do their parts at least fit and stay together?

i used to have the constructicon one it was decent for a $10.00 bootleg it had no chrome parts and the stickers sucked but the toys were sturdy and transformed perfectly. I just my Vector Prime import in today he is very cool, i want to get the galaxy convoy and Thundercracker next maybe starscream at some point to.

chris

I got that Aerialbots set for my birthday one year... it's got a pretty decent parts fit, but the stickers are wretched. Nice chrome bits tho.

I've also got the Devestator, but I got that one from someone else, and it's in storage...all I remember is that the parts fir was pretty good, but there was no chrone on that one.

here is my import Vector Prime, i like this figure alot i love the fact that he looks like a medieval knight in armor i wish he had some sort of sheild, they probably could have used the front nosecone for that if they wanted, it truly looks like it could have been used for it. the paintjob is awesome and the details are fantastic, i only wish they could have painted the handle on the sword a grey or gold color like his armor. the details however are the highlight his armor is covered with gears and cogs as well as other little intricate lines. he is quite poseable and has a very cool cyber key, and i definetly notice the similarites between his vehicle mode and the Star Wars Sith ship. i will defiently be picking up more of the Import Galaxy Force figures in the upcoming months right now I am planning on getting Thudercracker and Galaxy Convoy himself in the upcoming months.

vector.jpg

vector2.jpg

vector3.jpg

Edited by zeo-mare

Nice Pix. He's def. a great figure all right.

I think of Galaxy Force/Cybertron, Live Convoy has got to be my favorite mold, although there's a number of excellent figures in the line. Galaxy Convoy is also a nice figure, you'll notice he's not as detailed as THS-01, but he makes up for it in shear size. Thundercracker is a cool little figure, but his bot mode is seriously lacking in comparison to his Alt. mode, still for the price i can't say he's not a good purchase. As for Starscream, don't hesitate to pick him up too if you're able, he's another excellent figure and one of the better decepticons.

Edited by Veritas

thanks for the recomendations, i just noticed Live Convoy, i am intersted in the Red Exillion to, but he seems kind of expensive right now. there are some other figures i am considering as well. by the way i would love to see picture sof all your collections as well so i hope eveyone else can start posting pictures to.

chri

Edited by zeo-mare

thanks for the recomendations, i just noticed Live Convoy, i am intersted in the Red Exillion to, but he seems kind of expensive right now. there are some other figures i am considering as well. by the way i would love to see picture sof all your collections as well so i hope eveyone else can start posting pictures to.

chri

388795[/snapback]

Chris,

The Japanese Version Red Excillion was only avaliable as an exclusive figure for people who preordered the first DVD Volume of Galaxy Force. Even then he commanded a price somewhere in the range of 90 to 100 dollars. But there's good news. The Cybertron Version just landed in stores a couple of weeks ago. It's not exactly the same color as the Original verison, but he's close enough. Best part is he shouldn't set you back more than 12 dollars if you find him at a local store. Here's a pic of the difference.

Cybertron Excellion & Galaxy Force Excillion

Cybertron Excellion is in the foreground (grey/black chest) and Galaxy Force Excillion is in the back (red chest).

I'll try to post up pics of some of my stuff that's on display a little later... most of my TF's are in storage... hell most of my stuff period is in storage. <_< haha...

Edited by Veritas

very cool, yea i saw the usa version so i will most likely check it out, cannot wait to see your pictures :)

chris

Forgot to mention this:

http://www.tfans.com/talk/index.php?showtopic=45999

Just in case any of you were thinking of plopping down an insane amount for THS-02 (Hybrid G1 Prime), takaratomy is going ahead with a second production run so that should help everyone get him at a fair price... that is as long as you don't wait to long. ;)

Edited by Veritas

My THS-2 arrived a couple of days earlier. I'm loving the robot mode but the vehicle mode is just horrible. It's quite a task getting those arm pegs to fit into the center grille.

BTW. I accidently used more force than required now BOTH of his main antenna have stress marks (and one of them are bending slightly inward). WHY didn't they make the head piece die cast? ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by UN Spacy

yup the bot mode is cool and the truck mode totally sucks, getting those arms in is wretched. by the way do you have the THS-01? you should check it out I actually like him better then the -02 Convoy, he is much better as a toy and transforming, and his bot mode is awesome looking.

chris

yup the bot mode is cool and the truck mode totally sucks, getting those arms in is wretched.  by the way do you have the THS-01? you should check it out I actually like him better then the -02 Convoy, he is much better as a toy and transforming, and his bot mode is awesome looking.

chris

388843[/snapback]

I'm looking into picking up a THS-1 in the future. For now I'm keeping Convoy in Truck Mode. I don't feel like messing around with the head piece because more stress might break the antenna clean off.

:(:(:(:(:(

I'm still quetioning why they decided to make it THIS small. Now if it were the same size at THS-1 I'd feel a LOT better.

I'm looking into picking up a THS-1 in the future. For now I'm keeping Convoy in Truck Mode. I don't feel like messing around with the head piece because more stress might break the antenna clean off.

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(

I'm still quetioning why they decided to make it THIS small.  Now if it were the same size at THS-1 I'd feel a LOT better.

388847[/snapback]

G1 Convoy should be the same size as Galaxy Convoy. It's only because Galaxy Convoy combines with his trailer that makes him seem bigger.

yup that is true, when he does not have the armor on the Galaxy Convoy is the same size as the Convoy figure. he is however much sturdier then the Convoy and seems less fidgity, i highly recommened him. i also hope you can maybe transform him back he looks much better in bot mode then truck mode i would rather have mine on the shelf in that form.

chris