I'd agree with that. The Zeta Gundam series doesn't fall prey to the "monster of the week" syndrome that the original series did. It's still pretty long, but I enjoyed it. Based on Gubaba's comment on "cut-to-ribbons" story, it sounds like the movie trilogy is a little like Do You Remember Love in that they look pretty but drop a lot of the character development, and so watching the series first will fill in the gaps.

The movies are weirder than that. Half the animation is new, and looks very modern and CG'd up the wazoo. The other half is directly taken from the TV show. So yeah...it takes some getting used to.

I'm kind of sitting here with my mouth hanging open. Amazing, really, amazing. The only thing is that I hope it will be a bit easier to get hold of than Gundam Unicorn seems to be in the UK at the moment...

Have you ever tried www.up1.co.uk, thats the main place where i buy my region 1 anime dvds. They have Unicorn listed, but i'm uncertain about Blu Ray Region codes.

Have you ever tried www.up1.co.uk, thats the main place where i buy my region 1 anime dvds. They have Unicorn listed, but i'm uncertain about Blu Ray Region codes.

Thanks for the tip, though I've been using United Publications for years! :) They were the first place I tried at the time of posting, but didn't have Unicorn listed then. I eventually managed to order through Beez, Bandais European subsidiary, and it was an experience which proved the First Rule of Anime Fandom: Bandai hates you and wants your cash. :lol:

Thanks for the tip, though I've been using United Publications for years! :) They were the first place I tried at the time of posting, but didn't have Unicorn listed then. I eventually managed to order through Beez, Bandais European subsidiary, and it was an experience which proved the First Rule of Anime Fandom: Bandai hates you and wants your cash. :lol:

I've never bought any Beez dvds before, since i bought most of their titles from USA or Japan when they came out years ago before the UK (typical). I'm interested in getting Unicorn, but as i say i'm uncertain about the blu ray region codes, the japanese one is region free, but what of the other versions from USA etc? The price including shipping cost plus the region codes has been the main reason why i haven't bought Unicorn yet.

But if Beez UK is selling it i might get it from them. I heard they are only selling it online and not in the shops.

What is their Web address? cos i keep getting a french website every time i google it.

I've never bought any Beez dvds before, since i bought most of their titles from USA or Japan when they came out years ago before the UK (typical). I'm interested in getting Unicorn, but as i say i'm uncertain about the blu ray region codes, the japanese one is region free, but what of the other versions from USA etc? The price including shipping cost plus the region codes has been the main reason why i haven't bought Unicorn yet.

Japan and U.S. uses Region Code "A" for Blu-ray discs. Europe and Australia uses Region Code "B".

As for the Gundam Unicorn Blu-ray discs, both the Japanese release and U.S. release are the same exact thing (not a single difference). Which means Blu-ray Region Code "A".

Volume 1 of Gundam Unicorn was/is available through Amazon.com. Amazon ships internationally.

Edited by Vifam7

Japan and U.S. uses Region Code "A" for Blu-ray discs. Europe and Australia uses Region Code "B".

As for the Gundam Unicorn Blu-ray discs, both the Japanese release and U.S. release are the same exact thing (not a single difference). Which means Blu-ray Region Code "A".

Volume 1 of Gundam Unicorn was/is available through Amazon.com. Amazon ships internationally.

This is the website site address I used for Beez in the UK, though their site doesn't quite seem to know which country its serving!

http://www.beez-shop.co.uk/index.php

I have a region free Blu-Ray player, so the regions aren't a problem for me personally. They are out there, but expect to pay a premium for a player that has the capability.

Since no one else has mentioned it, I will.

BANDAI ENTERTIANMENT HAS LICENSED GUNDAM 0079, ALL 43 EPISODES, SUBTITLED!

OMFG AWESOOME!!

And the 00 movie, but I haven't even gotten to the series yet. They've also decided to start putting Unicorn on DVD, but really, if you don't have a bluray player, get one.

Edited by Keith

Yeah, I'm pretty psyched about that as well. I asked about it years ago, and they said it was because Japan didn't have DVDs, so it was dub only. Did they actually say we'd get episode 15 this time?

Having never watched the Zeta Series I carefully looked into the shrunken movie version vs the series to start with.

I concluded I should watch the full series first - then later see the condensed versions. Agree? I downloaded a blu-ray version but have already trashed the files because the .mkv files were causing too much havoc.

I found a 'supposedly' rare 10 disc box set that comes with poster and booklet and such for $100. I would be spending almost $70 for the Legends sets so I might just get it . . .

Assuming you haven't sprung yet, the original R1 box set can generally be found dirt cheap. This is because they messed up on the subs and used the closed caption script instead. The later two disc sets and Legends release corrects this.

I heartily agree with watching the series before the movies. So much about what I loved was cut from the films, especially concerning Four. I can't even finish watching them, myself.

OMFG AWESOOME!!

And the 00 movie, but I haven't even gotten to the series yet. They've also decided to start putting Unicorn on DVD, but really, if you don't have a bluray player, get one.

Great news, indeed!

Even if I'll never order this: I still remember my various setbacks about my order of the complete Z Gundam boxset, and I really don't feel like going through this again – especially if there's some compatibility issues with one or more disc again...

I'll pass, though I'll order it if/when it is available in my country :)

Yeah, I'm pretty psyched about that as well. I asked about it years ago, and they said it was because Japan didn't have DVDs, so it was dub only. Did they actually say we'd get episode 15 this time?

After checking the press statement again, I'm trying to get comfirmation on that. So far, unfortunately, it only says 42 episodes...

OMFG AWESOOME!!

Having recently entered the universe of Gundam, this is excellent news indeed. I've watched the tv series with some horrible subs and then the movie trilogy where it all made a whole lot more sense.

Looking forward to a proper subtitled release.

Should be getting my Zeta soon....

Awesome news about Gundam! Good stuff happening with the continued release of Unicorn and now the US finally getting the original series subbed! Can anyone shed some light on why Episode 15 wasn't dubbed originally?

Excited about the Gundam 00 movie too, hopefully we'll get it (and the rest of the 00 series) on bluray.

Supposedly, episode 15 was nothing but filler and has no actual importance to the plot of the series. At least, that's what I heard from a few people, so I can't say if this is true or not.

Also, from what was said, I believe that the episode won't be on this new release, either.

Dude, it had a Zaku I throwing huge rocks, WE NEED THIS EPISODE! Besides, it was included in the R2 remaster set. The only reason I can see BE skipping it now would be because it's not dubbed. Considering there were some episode edit issues from what I recall, also making it hard to synch up a sub & dub on the same picture, hopefully this won't be a completely fubar'd release. Damnit, now I'm getting worried.

On the bright side, TURN-A!

Cucuruz Doan's Island does have some serious QUALITY animation as the saying goes but it is also rather silly plot wise for a supposed real robot series. So I guess overall it's really embarrassing for Tomino much like the G-Armor...

It is the only time I think we encounter a Tin Cod(?) in the TV series.

I have a region free Blu-Ray player, so the regions aren't a problem for me personally. They are out there, but expect to pay a premium for a player that has the capability.

All Panasonic players sold in Australia are region free and don't cost any extra :) Pretty sure most other major brands are the same.

Why would it be different in other countries :unsure:

Cucuruz Doan's Island does have some serious QUALITY animation as the saying goes but it is also rather silly plot wise for a supposed real robot series. So I guess overall it's really embarrassing for Tomino much like the G-Armor...

It is the only time I think we encounter a Tin Cod(?) in the TV series.

I feel like I'm the only person who thinks this but I love the G-armor and the gundam hammer, and dislike the fact that they got cut out of the movie.

But whatever, we're getting Turn-A and 0079; and I've finally caved and bought a blu-ray player so I can enjoy some HD goodness.

I feel like I'm the only person who thinks this but I love the G-armor and the gundam hammer, and dislike the fact that they got cut out of the movie.

Believe me you're not the only one. I adore the Gundam Hammer. Especially it's epic comeback in Turn A.

Gundam Newbie, just watched the first four episodes of Z. First Gundam anime I've ever watched. I really liked it. Found the limited box set for $80, sounded like a pretty good price compared with some sets I saw online. Tried downloading first, won't do that again, these are much better, clearer, error free.

QUICK TAKE: Kamile punches and gets punched a little too much, space combat quite well done, though mother death-scene could have been done better (maybe shot comes quicker and explodes the capsule to bits and takes his Mark IIs arm with it or something?) -- the scene wasn't rattling enough for the horrible thing that just happened - not to mention cheery music comes up with the ending credits, not a good mood shift. Speaking of music, Googled immediately to find out what that awful intro music was from, found out about the legal problems of the songs...

Sounds funny to be debating what they coulda shoulda in a 25 year old cartoon. Anxious to watch episode 5 . . .

Kamile punches and gets punched a little too much

Heh, you've seen nothing yet.

Zeta Gundam is a good place to start, though for the better experience you're better off checking out the original series first. The trilogy film edition would do the job.

Edited by shiroth

You don't really need to view all the different series ;)

Just take a bunch of angst ridden whiny kids that never do what they are told, throw in a few Gundams, a bunch of baddies that act suspiciously like WWII Germans and a blonde haired bloke with a mask. Give the 50 or so episodes a different name each time and you've pretty much got the Gundam universe down pat :p

0080, 0083 & 08th Team are some of the notable exceptions :)

If you are going to follow Zeta all the way through and watch ZZ then get ready to don your silly hat for the first half of ZZ but once they realise the Laurel & Hardy act doesn't cut it the series gets back on track.

Edited by thegunny

It doesn't bother me much personally but apparently it bothers Tomino. Of course he was forced to put a lot of stuff in he didn't necessarily intend to originally.

What're you talking about, the BD has been up for pre-order for like 2 months. Check out either Bandai's direct store, or rightstuf.com.

I was looking in Amazon because it was 30% off on release for vol . 1 so i'm hoping to get same kinda deal for Vol. 2.

great news about 0079 getting a proper sub with the Japanese audio track now apparantly available?, why did they even bother to release it dub only to begin with?? I just wasted my money on a bootleg of it, with atrocious subs. Well at the rate I watch anime these days Bandai have a year or two until I`m ready to watch ZZ which better be out by then :angry: . :D

damn the unicorn bd is too much cash for me right now

Edited by Million Star

If you are going to follow Zeta all the way through and watch ZZ then get ready to don your silly hat for the first half of ZZ but once they realise the Laurel & Hardy act doesn't cut it the series gets back on track.

The silliest moment in Gundam ZZ for me is the 5th episode. A certain badass from Z is reduced into a guy that run into Zeta (which battling a silly mech at that time) while waving a stick (thinking that he can take Zeta down with that) and then promptly fall into a manhole. What a downfall. You'll wish that guy to be killed at the end of Zeta instead. As silly as it is, I prefer that more than angst and emo-thingy that plagued Gundam nowadays.